Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Balsillie pulls out of Penguins purchase

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ultimatetitman Posted - 12/15/2006 : 16:16:35
From TSN - "Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie has pulled his bid to purchase the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Sources tell TSN at the last moment the NHL provided a list of terms that Balsillie didn't want to agree to. Among those terms was a promise that the franchise would remain in Pittsburgh regardless of circumstances. Also, if problems arose, the NHL would take over control of the franchise.

The sale is not entirely dead yet, as Balsillie and the NHL may still find a way around the terms or eliminate them altogether, but right now everybody involved is in limbo and Balsillie, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and the league are not talking."

Good lord, what will Gary Bettman screw up next?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mikhailova Posted - 12/29/2006 : 13:59:32
I never said the NBA was great with moves. The NHL's better in all aspects. I know Pittsburgh Penguins doesn't make much sense but it sounds good....better than Winnipeg anyway.
ultimatetitman Posted - 12/29/2006 : 13:43:09
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

The Penguins better not move out of Pittsburgh. Nothing sounds as good as the Pittsburgh Penguins. "The Winnipeg Penguins"?? That doesn't cut it.

Well, it sounds about as logical as the New Jersey Rockies, the Colorado Nordiques, or the Pheonix Jets... Thankfully the NHL doesn't behave the same way the NBA does when it comes to moves.
Mikhailova Posted - 12/23/2006 : 17:35:17
The Penguins better not move out of Pittsburgh. Nothing sounds as good as the Pittsburgh Penguins. "The Winnipeg Penguins"?? That doesn't cut it.
Guest8336 Posted - 12/22/2006 : 16:13:50
What do you think the chances are of Winnipeg getting them? Me thinks not good.

I would love to seee them in Winnipeg (if they do end up moving) but I'm wondering for the long term feasibility of keeping them there with the salary cap increasing all the time.

I know that they would be OK financially for a few years, but what would happen 10 years down the road? It was pretty hard on the city when the Jets left, I don't want to see that happen again.

I'd be up for watching that one unfold over the next few years though.......:)

GoJetsGo
framer87 Posted - 12/22/2006 : 15:49:28
Apparently he is back in consideration.

Go pens
ultimatetitman Posted - 12/19/2006 : 13:56:26
quote:
Originally posted by admin

I think this has something to do with the league not approving a move. He wanted to move the team to Ontario. I think the Leafs had a major problem with this - as did Phiily (cross state rivalry). Check out the Newest featured poll. Mark Cuban could be next in line to buy the Pens.

It wasn't that he wanted to move the team to Ontario, it was that he wanted a new arena, and wanted Pittsburg to pay for it. He only threatened to move the team if a new arena wasn't built. The NHL wanted him to commit to staying in Pittsburg whether a new arena was built or not!
He has not said he wanted to move the team to Ontario, BUT has secured some rights to Copps Colliseum in Hamilton for "unspecified" reasons. Rumour has it that Kansas City had tabled a very tempting offer to move the team there.
admin Posted - 12/18/2006 : 14:18:21
I think this has something to do with the league not approving a move. He wanted to move the team to Ontario. I think the Leafs had a major problem with this - as did Phiily (cross state rivalry). Check out the Newest featured poll. Mark Cuban could be next in line to buy the Pens.
framer87 Posted - 12/17/2006 : 08:48:29
wow make the penguins move to Winnipeg

Go pens
spearbelly Posted - 12/16/2006 : 20:02:43
[
Methinks Silliebals has pulled out to readjust.
Guest4785 Posted - 12/16/2006 : 15:33:23
Because of this, Bettman is gone at year's end.

Woot, Woot

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page