Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Maxim Lapierre

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex116 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 07:58:55
Okay all you Maxim Lapierre haters, now's your chance, or maybe you didn't need the chance....

Did anyone happen to see the Montreal / San Jose game last night? Late one for you east coasters but a pretty good game. Felt bad for Carey Price as he had one of his best games and had the Habs up 2-1 past the midway point of the 3rd with many superb saves only to see his team collapse on D in an attempt to preserve what would have been a road win. Final, 3-2 SJ.

Anyway, the video below will show another example of total disregard / respect for the safety of your fellow players. I've never hated Lapierre and consider him to be a gritty guy, agitator, etc, but after seeing this cheap shot last night, it's hard not to dislike the guy!

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Lapierre-s-blatant-injurious-non-penali;_ylt=AniHCVyC3P1jnZrSF7EgAUdShgM6?urn=nhl,226095

The amazing part is the fact that the ref is RIGHT THERE! I can only think that the ref was focussing on the puck / net to see if the shot snuck through and perhaps missed the slight cross check / bump that Lapierre puts on Nichol. While it wasn't much, it was in a terribly dangerous situation where Nichol still had speed and was ready to turn towards the corner away from the goal / goalie.

If this goes without suspension from the NHL, i'd be shocked! Then again, they've shocked me before.....
32   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 03/09/2010 : 11:04:55
You don't have to be good at fighting to back up your play. A guy like Crosby, who does not play anywhere near the style of Burrows, will fight as often in a season. No one is going to confuse Crosby with a decent fighter!

The perception is that Burrows plays a reckless style and take liberties with the rules every chance he gets. When you play like that, it's kind of an unwritten rule that you have to take on a guy from time to time. Not everytime, but enough to prove that you will dance when needed.

Burrows does not do this, based on his 1 major penalty in the past 65 games and his 5 in the past 147 games. When you play like Burrows does, you are expected to dance a little more often than once every 30 games or so.
Alex116 Posted - 03/08/2010 : 22:14:20
quote:
Originally posted by Tiller33

And for the record at least Esa would drop the mitts ... Burrows wouldn't drop his gloves if they were on fire.

I always get a kick out of those who think Burrows "never drops the gloves". Check out hockeyfights.com and they have around 16 or 17 fights listed for Burrows. Maybe if you watch a few, you'll realize why he doesn't fight very often, he's not very good at it! I watched a couple and don't recall him getting the better of his opponent in any of them!
Tiller33 Posted - 03/08/2010 : 16:11:16
Agreed, Kessler shouldn't be on the watch list I just persoanlly think he's an idiot. As for Burrows he should be on a watch list for diving and by the looks of their game against Nashville in January he is.

That game (think it was Nashville in December) where he turtled and acted hurt and then peeked up just to make sure the ref saw him was an absolute embarassment to the game. He's cetainly no Claude Lemieux or even Lapierre but he's shown himself to be pretty gutless.

And for the record at least Esa would drop the mitts ... Burrows wouldn't drop his gloves if they were on fire.
Alex116 Posted - 03/08/2010 : 15:30:55
Tiller, that's the thing though, i was making a point of questioning why some class Kesler (and Burrows for that matter) in with guys like Cooke, Lapierre, Ruutu, etc)? If you put up a most hated player poll and they led the way, fine, but why would they be on any "watch list" of guys who have a reputation of questionable hits? That's what i don't get.

Look back at guys like Kenny Linsman, Claude Lemieux and Esa Tikanen. These guys were absolutely hated for the way they played (by other fans) but all three were key components of Stanley Cup winning teams! Not saying Kesler and Burrows are destined to be in their class, but i would argue they shouldn't be on a watch list of cheap shot artists!
Tiller33 Posted - 03/08/2010 : 15:13:29
Kessler isn't so dirty its the way he runs his mouth in the media. Like guaranteeing a gold for the U.S. before he even knew he was going to be named to their squad. There is a fine line between being ballsy and confident and making yourself look like an idiot. Trust me as a leaf fan I've seen way too much of it over the years from guys like McCabe, Domi and Tucker.

And redneck makes a great comparisson using Cooke, he's another guy thats gonna die by the sword he lives by.
Alex116 Posted - 03/08/2010 : 15:04:49
redneck, please don't get me wrong, i wasn't complaining by any means. I was simply looking for a reason as i've seen others throw Kesler in this "group" and was wondering why. That's all. Trust me, we've been through a few questionable guys here in Vancouver (Ruutu, Cooke, etc) and i can see a guy like Burrows being hated by some, but Kesler i just don't see as much. Maybe it was his "i hate Canada" rant he had towards the Canadian Olympic team? Dunno, was just curious more than anything.
redneck76ca Posted - 03/08/2010 : 14:57:49
quote:
Originally posted by redneck76ca

When Lapierre first played with Montreal he looked like he would be a solid 3rd or 4th line player with speed and some grit. It became apparent early that this player is a s*** head though. He is one of those players on the team you root for that you wish would be sent down or traded. He reminds me of Cooke when he was with the Canucks. A player who runs around and tries to injure, but rarely has the balls to drop the gloves and "defend" his actions.

The NHL should create a watchlist (if they don't already have one) for the Lapierres, Cookes, Keslers and Burrows' of the league. Let the payers know that they are on it, and that they will be under higher scrutiny than the rest of the league. Subjective? Yes, but a necessary evil so that we have less of Savard et al, losing games played due to cheap shot artists.

Hmm, I didn't mean to have Kess in there. Maybe I still am having ill will towards him from the Olympics through my subconscience?

Alex, just so you know, I am a Habs fan who has grown up in BC and I have lived the last 16 years of my live in Vancouver. This is why I only included Habs and Canucks in my commentary.
Alex116 Posted - 03/08/2010 : 14:51:00
Just curious, i`ve seen a few people comment on Kesler in this way and wonder what incident, or hopefully incidents, brought on the ire of opposing fans? I understand the hate on for Burrows, but where'd the hate for Kesler come from?
redneck76ca Posted - 03/08/2010 : 14:42:05
When Lapierre first played with Montreal he looked like he would be a solid 3rd or 4th line player with speed and some grit. It became apparent early that this player is a s*** head though. He is one of those players on the team you root for that you wish would be sent down or traded. He reminds me of Cooke when he was with the Canucks. A player who runs around and tries to injure, but rarely has the balls to drop the gloves and "defend" his actions.

The NHL should create a watchlist (if they don't already have one) for the Lapierres, Cookes, Keslers and Burrows' of the league. Let the payers know that they are on it, and that they will be under higher scrutiny than the rest of the league. Subjective? Yes, but a necessary evil so that we have less of Savard et al, losing games played due to cheap shot artists.
Guest6673 Posted - 03/08/2010 : 14:18:06
wow looks like nichols is taking diving lessons from crosby

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do you have to be jealous of Crosby? He used to dive in his rookie and sophomore season he doesn't dive anymore get over it ya dummie.
Tiller33 Posted - 03/07/2010 : 11:11:00
Lapierre is becoming the latter day Ulf Samuelsson, and mark my words he is gonna end up on the ice with his goalie having to feel his pulse to make sure he is alive just like Ulfy did.

The NHL is still a league that polices itself and the book is out on Lapierre...
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 03/06/2010 : 12:51:58
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

Greasy hit. Period.

Could have been seriously injured but wasn't, 100% that Nichol was embellishing. The guy is laying on the ground with no strain on his face, kicking his legs. Then when its not called jumps up and starts complaining.

Ray Ferriero is a moron btw, I think he is just garbage.

No check in comprehension here, just a simple WTF?
irvine Posted - 03/06/2010 : 12:51:41
The hit was just terrible. Absolute garbage. I can not, in any way... try to justify it.

My cousin, now around 30... suffered a very similar hit. Very similar. Except today, he can not walk. He is paralyzed. Uses an electric wheelchair for moving, has for the last 12 years or so.

I'm just saying, Nichol is very lucky it was not worst. A lot worst. So if the guy was hurt enough to flop around for a minute, why are we all complaining? He's lucky he can flop around still. Nothing worst.

Lapierre needs to wipe the grin off his face, before someone does it for him. Accidents happen on the ice. I can understand some things, but a dirty play like that, bundeled with that grin... just toss the guy out for the year. I don't feel sorry for him.

I'm normally against long term suspensions, when it appears and accident or short lack of judgement as things happen in a split second. But to be proud of it afterwards, is the inexcusable part.

Irvine/prez.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 03/06/2010 : 12:50:40
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

What the heck?? Did Kesler put on Lapierre's jersey for the night!!

Kidding.

It is a dirty hit, no doubt about it. But I also found it a joke that Nichols was acting like he was shot and then popped up like a jack in the box. He was totally trying to get more out of a call, not realizing the ref didn't make a call.

Disrespectful and dangerous hit none the less. But what do you expect when the NHL continues to punish the outcome and not the incident??

Just double checking my reading comprehension...
Beans15 Posted - 03/06/2010 : 12:33:20
Hey, people. Don't take what I am saying out of context. I never once said that he was not injured. I also never said that he was trying to draw a penalty. We have watched various times where a player will make things stretch a bit more than needed to make sure that 2 minutes becomes 5.

Let's face it; Scott Nichol is far from Saint NHL. He has had his share of suspensions for questionable plays himself.

NOT SAYING THAT SHOULD IMPACT ANYTHING.

However, he has that rep. It's not unreasonable for someone to think he was stretching that out a bit when he has done it in the past.

Now, for something that isn't a daily thing, I may have been wrong in this case. It is clear that he is injured (and I never argued that point from the start) and he staked off the ice to seek medical attention. He did find the ability to make sure he had a nice chat with the ref, but I will over look that.

I'll admit that I was premature in my embellishment comments and I apologize if I offended anyone with my boorish opinion.

Couple of other interesting points:

1 - The commentator thought Nichol had scored. Do you think this has a heavier penalty (from the NHL) if the play had been a goal???

2 - For everyone attacking the refs, did anyone else notice that not one of the 5 other Sharks on the ice knew that Lapierre was the culprit??
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 03/06/2010 : 12:11:56
Wow,

As I stated in my first post, A cross-check, from behind, at high-speed, in a vulnerable position, near the end boards.....

Because Nichols gets up, he's embellishing. Absolutely right, there is nothing but video proof of that. He is at first on the ice, appearing to writhe in pain, obvously drama-queen stuff here, and then, WTF? no penalty?, he's jumps to his feet and is ready to take on the world. Exactly what the video showed, exactly. That and the 'fact', that there was 'no strain on his face', which I had trouble seeing due to the fact his glove was covering his face, but apparently that's the way it was. How dare he try and draw an enhanced penalty out of that, he barely got roughed up.

Is that what I'm supposed to read from some of these posts? I must be the most gullible reader in the world if expected to infer that versus what I saw, not only while watching the game, but from watching the provided clip numerous times.

A couple things I find odd about that.

1) He got driven face and shoulder first into the boards, pretty sure that hurts, at least for a sec or two, maybe even enough to lay there for a bit wondering if all the faculties are still there.

2) He gets up, not sure about 'pops up', and while clearly favoring his right shoulder, the one that got driven into the boards, see point 1, deservedly goes after the ref, asking WTF?

3) How the **** would anyone here, know if he was embellishing? Again, see point 1.

The only reason this topic isn't on a whole different tangent is because he didn't get very seriously hurt, that's it. That is nothing but luck, it has nothing to with diving, embellishing, or the result of the hit.

This, IMO, is the most dangerous play in hockey, period, and some are treating it as Nichols trying to draw a penalty? Give me a break. Better yet, ask someone who knows how lucky Nichols was on this play. I have an aquaintance I met through some friends, named Brad Hornung who could answer that for you. Google him up for those who don't know who he is....it may be enlightening regarding some's flippancy towards this play.
Alex116 Posted - 03/06/2010 : 12:11:56
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

Greasy hit. Period.

Could have been seriously injured but wasn't, 100% that Nichol was embellishing. The guy is laying on the ground with no strain on his face, kicking his legs. Then when its not called jumps up and starts complaining.

Axey, i know it's hard to admit when you're a fan of the team / player in question, but "greasy" implies the hit wasn't good, but wasn't really bad either. The fact is, and this is not my opinion, it's a fact, the hit was DIRTY/CHEAP and extremely dangerous. I seriously wonder what the reaction from those who deem this hit as "not a big deal" would be had Nichol gone into the boards head first and been concussed or even worse, paralyzed?

I also don't think that Nichol was "flopping around" all that badly. Considering he left the game and is out for at least a week and prob more, shows that in no way was he faking an injury. I'm interested to see just how long he ends up out of action.
Beans15 Posted - 03/06/2010 : 11:41:30
Before I get completely attacked with the typical strawman comments or the reading comprehension comments, let me say very clear. :

Dirty Hit, period. Sould have been a penalty and wasn't and the suspension is warranted.

That being said, did everyone fail to notice how much Nicol was flopping around the ice and how quickly he got up and argued with the ref when there was no call made??

A penalty never needs to be embelished.

Although, a positive I do see out of this is the the NHL is slowly starting to punish the action over the outcome.

Axey Posted - 03/06/2010 : 11:10:16
Greasy hit. Period.

Guest9618 Posted - 03/06/2010 : 09:40:36
all i can say is this is absolutely bushleague. this guy should be gone for 10 games. the only reson nichol isn't paralyzed is cause he went into the boards with his shoulder
n/a Posted - 03/06/2010 : 08:44:20
Can't believe that wasn't called a penalty. Absolutely brutal reffing.

Good thing the ref's union is so proactive in getting rid of these guys . . . (note dripping sarcasm) . . . first Auger this year, then this Chris Lee guy who apparently has a history of terrible calls and non-calls. When the ref is there RIGHT BESIDE the play, doesn't make the call, doesn't get a re-play, and the league suspends the player for 4 games . . . you know something is wrong.

To those of you who think Nichol was embellishing . . . give your head a shake.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 20:01:47
Well said Elvis. Unless, like i mentioned in my OP, the ref was focussed on the net to see if the puck went in, there's no excuse! If he was looking at the net, the crosscheck was quick enough that he may not have seen it. He may have thought that Nichol simply lost an edge? If he saw it, and didn't deem it a penalty, then he's likely one of the people posting here saying it wasn't dirty?
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 03/05/2010 : 19:42:08
I'm not sure what I'm reading is correct, maybe I have some sort of monitor problem, or it's time for me to finally get some of those, oh so fahionable, reading glasses that us oldsters are making our fashion statements with....

Some of the posts actually say things like, 'it wasn't that bad of a hit', and 'he popped right back up, couldn't have been hurt', or he took a dive'. Here's where the confusion comes in.

Are you kidding me? A cross-check, from behind, at high-speed, in a vulnerable position, near the end boards, is not a recipe for a dirty, dangerous hit????

What did Nichols need, a broken neck? Nichols didn't return to the game after that hit, and is out for 7-10 days, and from what it sounds like, he's no daffodil out there, he's tough enough. He wasn't involved in any scrum, he got up, favoring his left arm and went after the ref.

What disturbed me even more, is that they showed Lapierre on the bench afterwards, grinning, actually grinning. Boo for the Sharks not sending a Clowe or Staubitz out to give Lapierre the retribution he deserved.

Another thing I found very puzzling, is how the ref ignored the hit, the 4 game suspension, kinda proves, he shouldn't have.
Alex116 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 19:19:44
I can't believe some of you think this was a dive and not a cheap shot! Unbelievable! Maybe those with that opinion have never been on skates? It is very easy to be knocked off balance in a situation like that and unfortunately for Nichol, he was near the boards and had some speed going!

As for him embelishing it to make it seem worse, perhaps he did. However, i will say this much, he was unable to finish the game. I haven't heard if he's out for any other games but i wouldn't be surprised to hear his is. I would think if he was going to embelish it, he'd have stayed down and awaited a trainer to make it look as bad as possible!!!
baumer Posted - 03/05/2010 : 15:28:43
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9494

nah actually a leaf fan but thanks for showing the biased opinions leaf fans possess thanks again

It has nothing to do with bias at all. I just can't believe you actually think that Nichol dove. Thats what a player wants to do is throw himself into the boards just for a 2 min penalty. That was a dirt hit so much so that I had the impression Ray Ferrraro on the TSN broadcast was going to take Lapierre out himself. There is no defending, no excusing what that joke of a hockey player did. And apparently the league didn't think Nichol dove, Lapierre just got 4 games.
Guest9494 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 15:16:21
nah actually a leaf fan but thanks for showing the biased opinions leaf fans possess thanks again
baumer Posted - 03/05/2010 : 11:52:58
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9494

Must be a Habs fan.
Guest9494 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 10:23:29
Beans15 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 10:15:12
What the heck?? Did Kesler put on Lapierre's jersey for the night!!

Kidding.

It is a dirty hit, no doubt about it. But I also found it a joke that Nichols was acting like he was shot and then popped up like a jack in the box. He was totally trying to get more out of a call, not realizing the ref didn't make a call.

Disrespectful and dangerous hit none the less. But what do you expect when the NHL continues to punish the outcome and not the incident??

Guest9297 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 09:48:33
Alex I couldn't agree more. This guy plays with total reckless abandonment. The worst part is he was smiling and laughing on the bench after wards. I'm not sure if you guys watched the game but I though Ray Ferraro was going to kill him. Which is kind of nice to hear from a broadcaster. Anyway, I thought Lapierre would have learned when Andrew Ference embarrassed him earlier this year and even the linesman had a good chuckle at him when he turtled. (If I can find the video I'll post it). The point is someone is going to get him good and I don't know if even his team mates will care.
Guest9291 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 09:03:39
It's a tough call, vulnerable position, danger zone to the boards, from behind....absolutely.
Nichol is in the air (all be it slightly) and hits the ice and wiggles around like he's broken every bone in his upper body.
if the Ref had called a boarding major, it's probably an none issue since Nichol got up to be invoved in the scruff after.
I hate to tie the "injury" to the punishment, but after seeing it a couple of times i wouldn't be suprised with just a fine.
Guest2622 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 08:16:04
well, all I can say about it is it doesn't look like Lapierre hits him all that hard, the pile up notwithstanding. And for somebody who looked like he had been shot, Scott Nichol popped up REALLY quickly.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't have been called, or that it was a good play, but I have seen that happen I don't know how many times. It could be argued that Lapierre was just playing his man.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page