Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Crosby doesn't do Late Night

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
baumer Posted - 03/09/2010 : 09:48:34
Being one the "faces of the NHL" should Sidney Crosby have accepted the invitation from David Letterman in order to grow the game in the states?
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4339 Posted - 03/10/2010 : 13:23:29
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think the New York Post is right within a certain contexts. The games best and brightest in any sport have an obligation to support the sport that made them. To try to showcase the game and bring more positive attention to it.

However, that is not something that should be expected during the season. No one is asking Derek Jeter to go on Letterman in the middle of the MLB season or Kobe Bryant to go on Leno during the NBA season.

Why does Crosby not get the same courtesy???

Yeah, I agree with you here. I agree that the stars and faces of the league should support their sport, and if Crosby wasn't doing anything else to help the PR/image of the NHL, then yes he should go.

I think Crosby already does a lot in terms of supporting the marketing of the NHL, so saying 'no' to this isn't that big of a deal.
Beans15 Posted - 03/10/2010 : 09:16:16
I think the New York Post is right within a certain contexts. The games best and brightest in any sport have an obligation to support the sport that made them. To try to showcase the game and bring more positive attention to it.

However, that is not something that should be expected during the season. No one is asking Derek Jeter to go on Letterman in the middle of the MLB season or Kobe Bryant to go on Leno during the NBA season.

Why does Crosby not get the same courtesy???
baumer Posted - 03/10/2010 : 08:25:59
Shero's final comment from the link I posted said "Not Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux has done more for the game than Sidney Crosby". I understand defending your star but let's not get carried away. The New York Post was pretty unforgiving with him to. They said he was obligated to do it. I really have to respect the guy for at his young age to realize who writes his pay check and where his true responsibilities lie.
Alex116 Posted - 03/09/2010 : 21:29:13
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9951

Its close since the olympics but Ovechkin is still better then Crosby I think.

Great contribution to the thread
Guest9951 Posted - 03/09/2010 : 20:02:01
Its close since the olympics but Ovechkin is still better then Crosby I think.
irvine Posted - 03/09/2010 : 19:29:04
I feel the same as many here. It's Crosby's choice. He has made it clear he is more of the 'shy' type when it comes to interviews and what-not. He does the interviews he does, because he knows he's obligated. And i'm sure he doesn't mind doing some.

But, he's just not the type to go on Letterman, Leno, etc.. and promote himself. We all know he loves hockey, and would do a lot to promote and help the sport. But to respectivley decline an interview such as that, is fine by me.

Irvine/prez.
leigh Posted - 03/09/2010 : 17:04:30
If he chose to do it I would respect his decision...at the same time if he doesn't choose to do it, that's fine too. He's a great ambassador for the game but he can't be everywhere all the time. Love Letterman, love Crosby, and ultimately I would have watched if he did, but couldn't care less if he didn't.
baumer Posted - 03/09/2010 : 14:49:54
Here's what Ray Shero had to say about it. I agree with most of it minus the final statement.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=313194
n/a Posted - 03/09/2010 : 14:22:55
My respect for Crosby continues to rise . . . impressive decision to make when taken into context. Considering his age, his star status, and the size of most egos for aathletes at his level, it really speaks of his maturity.

He's still in the goal scoring lead (tied now, but still . . .), he got the o/t winner for the gold medal, and he turned down Letterman for the second time.

I started out not liking the kid for many reasons, but he is quickly earning my respect and admiration.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Gusteroni Posted - 03/09/2010 : 14:07:27
Good on Crosby. It shows he thinks more about his team and the playoff race more than himself and his fame. This guy has still got to be exhausted...I know I still am and it has been more than a week since the Olympics ended. I also think if they want to generate a fan base in the states the NHL may want an Ovechkin or even a Kane on the Letterman Show as they have that type of tv personality. Crosby although an excellent hockey player puts me asleep when he talks.

When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.
Beans15 Posted - 03/09/2010 : 13:53:25
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7752

Take Gretzky for example.. going to LA, appearing on SNL, appearing on late night talk shows, etc...
He tried this show thing..... in the long term it sold nothing about the game.
The seats are still half empty in the usual USA arenas...

Horrible example. Gretzky built hockey in the Southern States and without him in LA, the league has about 20 teams today. Some say that would be a good things, others would say it is a bad things.

Regardless, Gretzky held the NHL in the southern states for a 10 yr period of time. Furthermore, no players has a positive impact on the league to any substantial level 10 years after they retire. Regardless of who that player is or was.
Guest7752 Posted - 03/09/2010 : 13:46:56
It's his decision - and he made, IMO, an excelent decision.
He's payed to play and win, not to appear on shows - and he, IMO, does an excellent job.

I guess he's smarter than the ones that believe that he will "sell" the game if he was on that show.
How many more US fans would start watching hockey or buying tickets to the games if he did these shows? (none)
It's the wrong audience.

He is, however, doing the right commercials and stuff like that, which generate much more interest in the game (and eventually sell the game more) than these shows ever will.

Take Gretzky for example.. going to LA, appearing on SNL, appearing on late night talk shows, etc...
He tried this show thing..... in the long term it sold nothing about the game.
The seats are still half empty in the usual USA arenas...
sharksfan44 Posted - 03/09/2010 : 12:56:36
Imo, crosby shouldn't HAVE to go on letterman. It should be his choice and wutever he decides to do is fine.
Leafs81 Posted - 03/09/2010 : 12:53:25
Let Crosby do what he does best and that's play hockey.

He just had a big tournament and plus he's trying to help the Penguins win the division. No time for Letterman.

As for turning down Letterman last spring after winning the cup, well I guess he wanted to celebrate and spend some time with his family and also take a few naps.
baumer Posted - 03/09/2010 : 12:53:21
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

Just for the record, this is the 2nd time Crosby has turned down Letterman. He was invited last spring after the Penguins had won the Stanley Cup.

That's what I don't get, I am getting the impression from him that he doesn't enjoy the lime light nearly as much as other players. But you have to wonder if, at some point in time the league will step in and "recommend" to him that he does it.
ryan93 Posted - 03/09/2010 : 12:28:39
Just for the record, this is the 2nd time Crosby has turned down Letterman. He was invited last spring after the Penguins had won the Stanley Cup.
Beans15 Posted - 03/09/2010 : 11:06:26
Rarely do sports stars while in the mix of their season do late night show, or any shows for that matter. You will most likely see the pro's on TV shows after a championship or in the offseason.

I don't get why Crosby would or should be much different.

Did Ovechkin get an invite?? Maybe we can use that to compare those two again.
Axey Posted - 03/09/2010 : 10:19:42
The guy has a playoff race and a team to tend to. Let Letterman wait.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page