Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 tsn's terrible analysts

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 12/21/2006 : 23:26:03
Is it just me or does tsn have the worst commentators.....Pierre Macguire and gord miller force me to put it on mute when watching games.....and I highly doubt Bob mackenzie has the ability to skate...It's too bad there weren't more kelly hrudies out there. He doesn't insult goalies at all....Man it drives me nuts how much ppl insult goalies. That is the hardest position in sports, and if a goalie like luongo has a bad game they're all over him (even though he never gets a day off!)...

I HATE CROSBY

I HATE CROSBY
36   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bablaboushka Posted - 01/31/2007 : 10:50:15
5029, STOP insulting our members, especially looking foolish by using the same insults over and over and over. This is your last warning.
Guest5029 Posted - 01/31/2007 : 10:42:18
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

first off...you don't know me so don't go slamming my intellect (I think my math degree speaks for itself )..........I think I made a large series of points before......I think MOST people like to watch HOCKEY, not sports journalists who talk a big game, but couldn't play one if their life depended on it......they are NOT (for the most part) accurate with they're predictions. And why would they be....Not too many GM's are going to tell reporters trades they are going to make......They always claim big rule changes are gonna happen (nets will NEVER get bigger despite the "reports"...I bet one owner or GM suggested it and now these "journalists" think they all feel that way).....But I just think, since CBC shows hockey ONCE a week, they could think of something better...

PS: to that person who slammed a leafs habs game.....have little more respect, I'm young but I respect those games to the max b/c of the history...clearly you wouldn't have been a fan pre-1967 since there were only 6 teams, and you'd see the same games a lot..just b/c teams play each other often doesn't mean they can't be good games (but I would like to see ovechkin in vancouver more...but CROSBY isn't welcome here )

I HATE CROSBY

I think the Leafs gag on the pipe and you'd be gagging on Crosby's if your suck ass Leafs actually drafted him. I'd be more worried about your team of plugs than hating Crosby. As for Crosby not being welcome to Vancouver....speak for yourself Asshat! Ya you've got lots of intellect. Like a 12yr. old with your anti Crosby ranting! Hey asshat! I hate the leafs - but I wouldn't make it my IDENTITY on the boards because that's just lame. I bet your the loser Leaf fan who claimed that "crosby will be an above avg. player at best" on the ESPN board...it really wouldn't surprise me. Hey asshat! Leaf fans aren't welcome in Vancouver here either So GTFO!
devilsjetsfan Posted - 01/29/2007 : 12:47:09
i dont like bob mackenzie

Go Devils Go
leigh Posted - 01/07/2007 : 23:08:41
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6934

Hey Leigh, do I detect a note of anti-goaltenderism? Don't like Kelly Hrudey, don't like Glenn Healey; I can't help but wonder if there's a deeper issue here.

LOL!!!! I never really looked at it like that but maybe there is something in there, some deep childhood resentment from being pulled out of goal in atoms! haha!

But hey, let be real here, you have to be nuts to stand in front of 100 m/hr pucks
bablaboushka Posted - 01/07/2007 : 20:54:57
4514, do you have anything to add to that? If not, there is really no need to repeat what was already said. Thanks.
Guest4514 Posted - 01/07/2007 : 20:34:46
quote:
Originally posted by ultimatetitman

quote:
Originally posted by dummy101

Macquire knows about as much about hockey as my dog.She is 1yr and 1/2 old and only watches for about 3 mins/night.

Maguire may be annoying, but the guy knows his stuff!. He makes calls quicker, and explains them better, than any other commentator. And he points out specific players and plays that you wouldn't normally see.

Unfortunately, he is not a commentator, he's a coach, and he has yet to make the transition. Whenever he points out something or shows a hi-lite, it seems he is almost yelling at you. But you can not claim he knows nothing about hockey.

Play the Maguire drinking game... take a shot every time he says "special". You'll never know the final score.

dummy101 Posted - 01/01/2007 : 18:56:41
I stand by my statement that Macquire knows nothing.If you bother ,or can stand,to listen to him you would here him praise a player one period than ridicule him the next for doing the same thing.
As for him saying 3 or 4 yrs ago that the Sabres would be a power that should only stand to prove his knowledge is limited.They are a top 3 team in the "New NHL" but without the rule changes they would have forever been a bottom 1/3 team because they are small.Just listen how many times his pbp man(Miller,I think)makes a good point about the game only to have Macquire repeat the exact same thing within 10 secs,it makes me laugh and then"almost"cry it is so sad.
Then tonight Mackenzie implied Tiger Williams,apparently, crosschecked Mike Bossy at will when they played and Bossy always defended himself!Guess Bob must be too young to remember a guy named Clark!
Guest9685 Posted - 12/31/2006 : 14:17:25
Wow 9816, what's with the defensiveness? I didn't really see anywhere where you were being picked on or cut up. You called someone's opinion ridiculous and then was deeply wounded when they stated it's just an opinion - I think a slightly tougher skin may be in order.
On the Healey saying Detroit had no prospects issue, I didn't actually see the game in question, but I doubt he literally meant Detroit didn't have a single player in their farm system. If you choose to dislike him, that's cool, that's your business, but I don't think that statement factually makes him unintelligent.
Novie Posted - 12/31/2006 : 10:44:22
I can explain all of this craziness in 3 simple words:

GOALIES ARE WIERD!

Healey, McGuire...both goalies. And I'm no Hrudey fan either, so I guess the rule is universal!

Go Sens
Guest9816 Posted - 12/31/2006 : 10:09:27
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6936

Lol!!!!! Based on his colour commentary and without any exagerration whatsoever that is a very ridiculous statement. Based on what is Healy intelligent and witty?

It's an opinion. Come on, that's all this entire thread is, a personal take on whether you enjoy a commentator's style or not. Just because you see it differently doesn't make it ridiculous.

Get real man! So then why are cutting me up for my statement?? It is a forum man. Obviously, I know threads are collection of people's opinions I do not need you to tell me that. I am intelligent and witty enough to know that. And why are you picking on me anyways, many people in this forum have been far more critical than I have and have attacked actual people and you pick on me for criticzing a statement and calling like it is based on facts.

It is ridiculous statement because it is not based on any facts. Having heard hours of Healy's work I objectively and factually feel that he is not intelligent and not witty. A legitimate hockey analyst who is paid to his job would never say a team like Detroit has no prospects. Every team in the league has prospects, no matter how bad they may be.

If anyone said there is no water in the ocean, how intelligent and witty would they sound? Exactly! Just because it is someone's opinion that does not mean it is not ridiculous.
Guest6936 Posted - 12/31/2006 : 08:12:28
Lol!!!!! Based on his colour commentary and without any exagerration whatsoever that is a very ridiculous statement. Based on what is Healy intelligent and witty?

It's an opinion. Come on, that's all this entire thread is, a personal take on whether you enjoy a commentator's style or not. Just because you see it differently doesn't make it ridiculous.
Novie Posted - 12/31/2006 : 06:14:53
quote:
think MOST people like to watch HOCKEY, not sports journalists who talk a big game, but couldn't play one if their life depended on it......they are NOT (for the most part) accurate with they're predictions. They always claim big rule changes are gonna happen (nets will NEVER get bigger despite the "reports"...I bet one owner or GM suggested it and now these "journalists" think they all feel that way).....

PS - just b/c teams play each other often doesn't mean they can't be good games (but I would like to see ovechkin in vancouver more...but CROSBY isn't welcome here )

I HATE CROSBY

A few things here: Sorry IHC, I shortened your post in the quoted text to hit my points only...

I also apologize for the length of the entry!

The intermission is a time to hit your bathroom, fridge for more beer, and the internet to see how your office pool is going...in that order. The few times I catch guys spouting off about non-hockey stuff, it's just background noise, drowned out by me cursing the guy that's ahead of me in the pool. It's their job....do you watch and lke Don Cherry? He's doing the same thing they do during the hotstove, just louder and more obnoxious (Love you, Grapes!).

As for all the rumors...how many forums have you posted to on this site with rumors, predictions, ideas to better the game.....? Basically you'er doing what they do, but not to a television audience...and not being paid to do it. A lot of what we talk about in here comes from their mouths.

Finally...I AGREE WITH YOU! I have no problem seeing the same teams play each other 8 times a year...although I would like to see more of Sid and a young talented Pens team here in Calgary (you can take Ovechkin in Vancouver). And when there were 6 teams, I doubt they played a 82-game schedule (didn't feel like Google-ing this one....Babs, you're the stat guy, let's hear it...how many games in the 1962-63 season?)

Go Sens
Guest7001 Posted - 12/31/2006 : 00:08:55
"I find Glenn Healey to be intelligent and witty"

He probably does very little research about hockey teams and players. He makes dumb emotional comments or tells some hockey story or dumb goalie joke, he adds very little to a game in my opinion. Earlier this year during a Wings' game he said the Red Wings "cupboard is bare" as in they have no prospects. Oh really Glenn, how about you go pick up a hockey fantasy magazine at your local convenience store for $10 and educate yourself about the Wings' prospects

Like him or not at least Pierre Macguire demonstrates he knows about teams in depth. He called the Sabres would be an Eastern power 3-4 years ago, back when they were not even a playoff team. He is not always right but Macguire shows he has researched and studied hockey, he demonstrates knowledge of the game and has great enthusiasm.

And what is with all these goalies as colour guys with there dumb goalie jokes. At least Hrudey is informed, has a much more clasy and intelligent demeanour and does not rely on dumb goalies jokes to be a hockey analyst.
Guest6934 Posted - 12/30/2006 : 21:10:51
Hey Leigh, do I detect a note of anti-goaltenderism? Don't like Kelly Hrudey, don't like Glenn Healey; I can't help but wonder if there's a deeper issue here.
Mikhailova Posted - 12/30/2006 : 17:47:24
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

PS-Ever wonder why it seems like TSN shows more American Games than Canadian??? hmmmmmmmmmmm

Because there are more American teams so there's an 80% chance the game on is gonna involve a US team (24/30). There are only 6 Canadian teams (yielding only a 20% chance) so of course it's gonna seem like TSN shows more US team games...because there are more US teams to show.
Mikhailova Posted - 12/30/2006 : 17:43:20
quote:
Originally posted by -oil-country-

i also hate the announcers in video games like in NHL 07 they pronounce Milan Michalek's name Mick-a-lick

Announcers butcher names in real games too. I think they outta have to pass a class in how to pronounce Slavic and Scandinavian names before they can be hockey announcers.
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 12/30/2006 : 16:05:05
first off...you don't know me so don't go slamming my intellect (I think my math degree speaks for itself )..........I think I made a large series of points before......I think MOST people like to watch HOCKEY, not sports journalists who talk a big game, but couldn't play one if their life depended on it......they are NOT (for the most part) accurate with they're predictions. And why would they be....Not too many GM's are going to tell reporters trades they are going to make......They always claim big rule changes are gonna happen (nets will NEVER get bigger despite the "reports"...I bet one owner or GM suggested it and now these "journalists" think they all feel that way).....But I just think, since CBC shows hockey ONCE a week, they could think of something better...

PS: to that person who slammed a leafs habs game.....have little more respect, I'm young but I respect those games to the max b/c of the history...clearly you wouldn't have been a fan pre-1967 since there were only 6 teams, and you'd see the same games a lot..just b/c teams play each other often doesn't mean they can't be good games (but I would like to see ovechkin in vancouver more...but CROSBY isn't welcome here )

I HATE CROSBY
ultimatetitman Posted - 12/30/2006 : 15:15:15
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

PS-Ever wonder why it seems like TSN shows more American Games than Canadian??? hmmmmmmmmmmm

Actually, it basically has to do with contracts. CBC has/had secured the broadcast rights to every Canadian team with a long term contract with the NHL. They choose what games they want (mostly just Saturday games), and put the rest up for bidding. Sportsnet came in with the highest bid for most of the Canadian market teams, although TSN won most of the Toronto left overs that CBC didn't want.
TSN then arranged an agreement to broadcast games from an ESPN feed, cheap. The rights to most American teams are much cheaper than the rights to any Canadian team, based on viewership. The exception being The NY Rangers, which is why they are rarely on TSN... or CBC, or Sportsnet. This is also why ABC never shows any Canadian teams when they launch their late season broadcasts of NHL games... they don't want to spent large amounts of money for something that might net get many viewers.
For the record, CBC's monopoly on Saturday night games is in jeopardy as their contract with the NHL expires next year. As of right now, it's believed that CTV has outbid CBC for those rights. Hockey Night in Canada could just disappear, as that is a CBC trademark.
leigh Posted - 12/30/2006 : 12:07:41
quote:

Hot stove is a joke.....admit it

Actually the satellite hot stove is my favourite intermission program in professional hockey. I like getting caught up on the hockey-side and the business-side. I think most of the guys on the hot stove are pretty well connected and offer great insight.

I hear what you're saying Beans, but I think it is just a law of numbers as to why TSN shows more US team games. 24 US teams and only 6 Canadian teams. Throw in the fact that CBC snatches up 2 canadian games a week and you end up with a vast majority of US games being left to broadcast. I do wonder if they are cheaper in the Canadian market too, but I have no idea how that all works.
Beans15 Posted - 12/30/2006 : 10:05:40
Babs I'm with you. I like the intermission stuff. It keeps you in the loop on what's going on in the league. Besides that, after the 9000th meeting between Montreal and Toronto on the early game on CBC, the intermission is more interesting than the game!!!!

bablaboushka Posted - 12/30/2006 : 10:00:29
But it's not, can't you handle a bit of intellectual discussion?
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 12/29/2006 : 22:53:15
Hot stove is a joke.....admit it
-oil-country- Posted - 12/29/2006 : 19:33:43
i also hate the announcers in video games like in NHL 07 they pronounce Milan Michalek's name Mick-a-lick
bablaboushka Posted - 12/29/2006 : 18:21:00
quote:

Good calll guys/girls......chris cuthbert is THE BEST....That's probably why I get so annoyed with gord miller....Chris should be the one doing all the big games...remember when he was with cbc? he was way better than that dinosaur bob cole (don't get me wrong, I loved bob back in the day......but he should be put out to pasture by now)...But I really don't agree with what you guys are saying about bob mackenzie.....he rarely is correct with regards to trades......who really cares about the business side of the nhl anyways? I like the HOCKEY part of the nhl....why the hell would I care about the nhlpa...good for them for having a union and running a business...but the last thing I want to see on a sports HIGHLIGHT show is that fat idiot talk about potential trades and player personnel...give that stuff it's own show if ppl are into that....But why tsn thinks that crap should be on sportscenter is beyond me.......and furthermore, in between periods of games they do that too (so does cbc w/ that stupid hotstove)....WAKE UP.... most ppl Hockey for the HOCKEY part.....if I wanted to learn about business i'd put it on CNBC!

I HATE CROSBY

I'd like to know what's going on with trades, the NHLPA and the business side of the dealings because they're closely related with the product on the ice. What else are they supposed to show, power skating? Either that or more commercials... I like the Hotstove, it gets a bunch of knowledgable hockey faces involved in interesting off-ice discussions.
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 12/29/2006 : 18:12:03
Good calll guys/girls......chris cuthbert is THE BEST....That's probably why I get so annoyed with gord miller....Chris should be the one doing all the big games...remember when he was with cbc? he was way better than that dinosaur bob cole (don't get me wrong, I loved bob back in the day......but he should be put out to pasture by now)...But I really don't agree with what you guys are saying about bob mackenzie.....he rarely is correct with regards to trades......who really cares about the business side of the nhl anyways? I like the HOCKEY part of the nhl....why the hell would I care about the nhlpa...good for them for having a union and running a business...but the last thing I want to see on a sports HIGHLIGHT show is that fat idiot talk about potential trades and player personnel...give that stuff it's own show if ppl are into that....But why tsn thinks that crap should be on sportscenter is beyond me.......and furthermore, in between periods of games they do that too (so does cbc w/ that stupid hotstove)....WAKE UP.... most ppl like Hockey for the HOCKEY part.....if I wanted to learn about business i'd put it on CNBC!

I HATE CROSBY
leigh Posted - 12/29/2006 : 17:23:59
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6260

Chris Cuthbert may be the most under rated play by play man around and I find Glenn Healey to be intelligent and witty.

Totally agee, Chris Cuthbert is awesome. He is one of my favourite by far!

As for Glenn Healey...not so much.
Guest6260 Posted - 12/29/2006 : 15:38:35
Personally I enjoy most of the TSN hockey crew. I like Gord Miller, I think Pierre Macguire is quite knowledgable and has a genuine enthusiasm and love for the game. Chris Cuthbert may be the most under rated play by play man around and I find Glenn Healey to be intelligent and witty. Bob Mackenzie and Darren Dregher both seem pretty well connected on league news. Tie Domi on the other hand is no more an analyst than he was a goal scorer; in my mind this is an experiment that's not working.

PS - I also like Kelly Hrudey. I look forward to Behind The Mask every week, I think he's quite insightful.
leigh Posted - 12/29/2006 : 14:24:20
Bob Mackenzie is one of the best on TV right now. He's tough to look at but he knows his stuff. Pierre MacGuire is a spaz but I do find him entertaining and he has tid bits of gold every now and then.

Kelly Hrudy is great! He is so incredibly boring that I am guaranteed to have a nap between periods when "behind the mask" comes on. I'm always refreshed and ready for the next period. Thanks Kelly.
ultimatetitman Posted - 12/29/2006 : 13:33:29
quote:
Originally posted by dummy101

Macquire knows about as much about hockey as my dog.She is 1yr and 1/2 old and only watches for about 3 mins/night.

Maguire may be annoying, but the guy knows his stuff!. He makes calls quicker, and explains them better, than any other commentator. And he points out specific players and plays that you wouldn't normally see.

Unfortunately, he is not a commentator, he's a coach, and he has yet to make the transition. Whenever he points out something or shows a hi-lite, it seems he is almost yelling at you. But you can not claim he knows nothing about hockey.

Play the Maguire drinking game... take a shot every time he says "special". You'll never know the final score.
dummy101 Posted - 12/29/2006 : 10:35:32
bablaboushka Posted - 12/22/2006 : 12:30:17
I like Gord Miller. He's open-minded, he doesn't shriek at goals but still shows enthousiasm when they're scored. He's knowledgeable and keeps my interest when I listen/watch his broadcasts. He does a great job for NHL on TSN and during international play. It's when Pierre Maguire jumps in that I cringe.
Mikhailova Posted - 12/22/2006 : 11:42:39
Their may analysts suck but their website is fun.
Guest0329 Posted - 12/22/2006 : 11:01:28
Judging by extra skin hanging by Gord Miller's neck, I'd say he hasn't played a sport in his life. What a douche.
bablaboushka Posted - 12/22/2006 : 10:37:16
Pierre Maguire is the one I can't stand from TSN. He is too much of an impulsive broadcaster, and what I mean by that is anytime a player makes a good play, they are either the best player in the league, or they are the most underrated player in the league. If a player makes a bad play, then he is an overrated player.
Beans15 Posted - 12/22/2006 : 10:24:43
The thing about TSN and, CBC analysts for that matter, is that they are so blatantly bias towards Toronto. I wonder if they know that there are 5 other Canadian teams in the league?? Also wonder if the know that all of those teams have been more successful than the Leafs for the past 30 years or so??

Guest6125 Posted - 12/22/2006 : 01:50:20
I believe it was Pierre Macguire who said at the beginning of the season that "The Montreal Canadiens are not good enough to make the playoffs"
Habs are in 2nd in the East, Stick that up you "Maguire Monster Performer"

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page