Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Your hockey pool

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tbar Posted - 03/24/2010 : 12:25:38
Simply I am wondering how your pool was set up, how your doing in your pool, and who you got that you would consider a steel?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest2148 Posted - 04/02/2010 : 12:04:31
One pool I'm in, (the one I'm winning), we did a snake draft, 1 pt. for goals and assists, goalies got 2 for a win and an add'l pt. for the SO. There were 20 rounds and 7 of us in the pool.

Had to have one goalie, and min. of 2 d-men.

My steals, if you can call them that, was Stastny (7th), and Kopitar (8th). My sleeper pick, who I've been very pleasantly surprised with is Rene Bourque (15th).

Odin Posted - 04/02/2010 : 09:14:37
My pool is 9 people

you have to have 9 forwards, 6 d-men, 1 goalie, one goon and one rookie. Each team has 7 dips into the FA pool, and unlimited trades. Unbalanced trades trigger free dips into the FA pool. In other words, if you trade a forward for a d-man, you can dip into the FA pool to pick up a player to bring your roster back into balance.

1 point for a goal and an assist. 5 points for a shutout, 5 points for a goalie goal, quarter point per penalty minute (goons only), 2 points for a win. Snake draft.

My biggest steal would probably be Nabakov in the 7th round, I guess the others in my pool figured Heatley would destroy the dressing room. This pool has been in existence since 1993.
ryan93 Posted - 04/02/2010 : 09:04:22
My team, btw...

Evgeni Malkin, Dany Heatley, Jason Spezza, Daniel Briere, Ales Hemsky, Teemu Selanne, Brendan Morrow, Derek Brassard, Alex Tanguay, Nathan Horton, Shawn Horcoff, Vinny Prospal, David Perron, Erik Cole, Peter Mueller, Justin Williams, Brandon Dubinsky, Matthew Lombardi
ryan93 Posted - 04/02/2010 : 08:54:11
You never really know how your team is going to perform. I always travel with my brother-in-law to our draft. Coming out of the draft, i felt pretty confident with my team, and i thought for sure i'd at least crack the top 3 (top 3 all get $$). Injuries have wrecked havoc on me this season, but even if i had been healthy all season, i still don't know if i'd be able to make up the ground.

On the other hand, my brother-in-law was very disappointed with the team he went home with & didn't think he had a shot this year it all. Fast foward 6 months & he's the runaway leader in our pool & already has 1st place locked up. His team....

Alex Ovechkin
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Thomas Vanek
David Krejci
Alexander Frolov
Tim Connolly
Milan Michalek
Chris Drury
Kristian Huselius
Sam Gagner
Doug Weight
Mark Streit
Tuomo Ruutu
Marek Zidlicky
Jere Lehtinen
Kimmo Timonen
Matt Duchene

His top 3 alone have outscored my top 3 (Malkin, Heatley, Spezza) by 81 points. And then my biggest injury of the season was Ales Hemsky. Hemsky had 22 points in 22 games...so if not for the injury, at that pace, his injury cost me 60 points.
spade632 Posted - 04/01/2010 : 04:49:22
My pool's set up as follows:

12 Forwards - 2 from each divsion
6 D-men - 1 from each division
2 Goalies - 1 from each Conference
1 Enforcer - only counts for PIM (@ 0.5 pt / min)

There's the standard points for G, A, 2 pts for a Goalie Win and a bunch of bonuses +1 for a shutout, +3 for hattricks etc. +/- counts too at +0.5 for + and -0.5 for -

The big difference is that everyone in the pool is allowed to take any player (within the confines of the above). Since there are people in the pool who aren't huge hockey fans (and thus wouldn't be interested in running an exclusionary draft pool) I decided to make it simple for them to participate too. This way they wouldn't have to know as much about hockey and could just go with the big names and stand a chance to do reasonably well. The downside is that this makes for fairly similar teams (everyone has Crosby, Ovechkin etc) but nothing is perfect.

there are 15 people in the pool and I'm currently sitting third (5 points out of second). Top three get prizes.
Axey Posted - 03/30/2010 : 16:22:43
Live draft, no same players
My pool is 12f, 6d, 2g, 2 bench players. Scoring system goes: Goals=1
Assists=1
Goalie wins=1
Goalie shutouts=3 ( +1 for the win)

Right now I am in first and have been the whole year by a far margin except for recently a guy has caught up to me. He took the lead for a couple days until I regained and now lead by 7 points (which is nothing). Everyone else is out of the race, and it is now crunch time.

Also we have an unlimited waiver wire, but you cannot pickup a player you waived for at least a week. By then, someone else could have took him. Also when a player is waived, there is 2 days to clear waivers. Some poolies have a higher waiver rating depending on how inactive they are in the pool (person with the least amount of moves has higher seniority to claim a waived player). After the 2 days any player is fair game.

Some players I got as a steal were Myers, picked him up soon as Markov went down about 40 mins into the season. Thornton 3rd round, kind of impressive since it was the 32nd pick I believe. Jussi Jokinen had a good year, I got him really late.

Oh and there are 11 people in our pool($20 each, winner gets $200 & 2nd place gets their money back), I had 10th pick overall.. second year in a row and the guy from last year had 1st pick twice now, luckily its a snake draft.
Beans15 Posted - 03/30/2010 : 15:31:48
quote:
Originally posted by tbar

Irvine I definitly agree with your statement. Te other thing that is a huge factor is injuries depending on your pool. I curently average .95 points per game but am now down a total of 3 points to a guy that averages .85 points per game simply because of the injuries I have had this season. Without those this pool would be long over.

Emphatically agree. The first 3-4 rounds are almost always a list of the top 50-60 point getters from the past season. Things get interesting round 5+. I picked a team this year in a 13 person snake draft with 12 rounds (10, 1 goalie, and 1 sleeper) straight up point for goal, point for assist, 2 for win, 2 more for shutout. Had 1st over all pick (Ovechkin), but picked up Loui Eriksson in the 7th round (66pts) and Antoine Vermette in the 11th round(62 pts).

Sitting in 2nd by 18 points because of more man games missed than the guy in 1st. Same PPG. He picked up Stamkos 6th round and Patrick Sharp in the 8th round. Both over acheiving.

All about the late round pick over achieving and staying healthy.

My second team in the same draft is 3rd to last. Spezza injured as well as my sleepers (TJ Oshie, Milan Michalek, Alex Tangauy) did not perform.

tbar Posted - 03/30/2010 : 14:33:03
Irvine I definitly agree with your statement. Te other thing that is a huge factor is injuries depending on your pool. I curently average .95 points per game but am now down a total of 3 points to a guy that averages .85 points per game simply because of the injuries I have had this season. Without those this pool would be long over.
irvine Posted - 03/26/2010 : 23:00:23
I find in order to win pools, you have to be the guy that selects the best in the late rounds.

The difference between 1st & 5h overall pick, isn't usually that big of a jump in numbers. (providing, you picked your 1st overall pick correctly) or your 5th overall pick, for that matter.

You have to be the guy who picks those normal 50-60 point guys, and they have a 70 point season. Or, be consistent in picking those 50-60 point guys in the late rounds.

I always say, I'll certainly take 1st overall pick. But I never worry if I don't. I just make sure I pick correctly late.

Irvine/prez.
Alex116 Posted - 03/26/2010 : 20:41:20
quote:
Originally posted by Guest3356

Alex116 - After you had said the team did not look like a winning team and I take no offence in that I went and looked up some stats. Though not glaringly filled with the best I have 6 forwards in the top 20 for points, all my d-men are in the top 10 and my goalies rank 2th and 9th. Looking at it I would have to say Enstrom was a steal as he has more points then Gonchar and one less then Pronger, believe he is 6th overall. Just shows having the top pick is not always essential and a solid all around team can get the job done!

Very true, actually i have a pool i'm in where i'm second last (the one i'm sharing with Irv) and the guy who's in front is a mile ahead of 2nd. When i look at his roster, it doesn't look overwhelming whatsoever? As you say, it's his consistency in picks. Same goes for one i'm leading by 11 going into tonight. I have the top guy in 5 rounds! He's got 0 top guys, yet he's right on my tail!
I think the thing that made yours look bad, and i don't blame you at all for the pick, is the Malkin pick! BUT, your 2, 3 and 4 picks make up for his bad season pretty quickly i suppose!
Guest3356 Posted - 03/26/2010 : 19:44:26
Alex116 - After you had said the team did not look like a winning team and I take no offence in that I went and looked up some stats. Though not glaringly filled with the best I have 6 forwards in the top 20 for points, all my d-men are in the top 10 and my goalies rank 2th and 9th. Looking at it I would have to say Enstrom was a steal as he has more points then Gonchar and one less then Pronger, believe he is 6th overall. Just shows having the top pick is not always essential and a solid all around team can get the job done!
Guest7886 Posted - 03/26/2010 : 11:56:04
Some relatively decent steals of mine in a pool where goals & assists are 1 point each:

Stastny 57th
M. Koivu 64th

They're both at least 18 points above the round average. Sadly, my Koivu isn't the best pick of the round since Stamkos was also taken in the 6th round.
Alex116 Posted - 03/26/2010 : 07:53:33
3356, well, congrats to you either way! You're the only guy i know of who got Malkin (who went top3 in pretty much every draft i've heard of) who's doing this well! He really crippled a lot of peoples pool teams! I was fortunate in one of mine where i got first pick. I kept saying i was going to go with Malkin if i got the first pick and switched to Ovechkin at the last minute! I too am leading that pool and ironically i too have Filatov but lucky for me, we don't count our lowest 2 so he's not hurting me (nor is Booth, my other lowest who missed all those games).

One of my other pools is similar in that you have to take 2 d and a goalie and you can do that at any time. This year, it didn't work out for me to wait to take my goalie but last year was a charm. After 4 rounds out of 12, i noticed just me and my buddy needed a goalie. There were still 3 or 4 starters available so we agreed to wait to take them with our last picks. Can't recall who he got, but i got Cam Ward and he was really good last year. When you looked at our last picks compared to who the rest of the teams got with their last picks, we crushed them. Ward was worth around 85 points and guys were getting in the 30-45 point range from theirs whereas their 100pt goalies in round 1 and two compared much better to our 85-90 pt forwards we took that round!
Strategy is important indeed!!!
Guest3356 Posted - 03/26/2010 : 06:56:59

No offense by any means but i'm surprised you're leading and especially by that much. With only 5 teams picking players, that honestly doesn't look like a winning roster? Again, not trying to offend you, i just would have thought there'd be a better one? Then again, if guys like Marleau, Stamkos and B. Richards weren't taken, there's no telling what the other teams look like?

What's really amazing is seeing where guys were drafted from pool to pool. I'm in 4 draft pools and Backstrom was taken 5th overall in one and in the first round of the others. Granted, there's 10 - 12 guys in each pool but for you to get him in the 4th round means you got him 18th overall? Same with Gaborik, you got him 33rd if my math is correct, he never fell below 20th in my pools?

I'm sure there's some in my pools you would shake your head at too i guess?
[/quote]

To be honest I looked at their teams and thought I would win before it started. Maybe I had more insight but the reason my team is doing well is because everyone is playing decent I dont have the top point getters in any position but depth wise its better. I don't know how Backstrom was still available and they all laughed at me for taking Gaborik because of his injury prone seasons. In the end it just worked out ( besides Filatov and Setoguchi ) and I did not pick Mason and Price as my 2 golaies :) It is always fun to look back at a draft and see how bad and good the picks were. Oh one other note from the pool is that we didn't draft forwards then defensemen etc so it adds some strategy as to when to take which guys like Mike Green and Marty Brodeur.
Alex116 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 20:03:07
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

Dany Heatley 23rd overall seems like a small steal to me. I did not do a pool this year, sadly... :(

But Heatley in any pool i've been in, usually seems to go top 10, top 15 max.

Irvine/prez.

Irv, i feel bad for you that you didn't get in any pools. I'm going to share one of my four with you! Bad news, i drew cards, the one you got is the one i'm in second last ..... sorry bro!
ryan93 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 19:18:05
Yeah i suppose you would have to consider him a steal at 23rd. I know at the time i was thrilled when he was still available when it came back around to me for my 2nd pick.

Looking at my roster earlier today though i never really thought to include him as a steal considering he was one of my first picks. In my pool, the average for round 2 is 72 points, where as Heatley has 75. Not to mention my brother-in-law had the next 2 picks (he took Ovechkin 1st overall, so then had picks 24 & 25) and took Henrik & Daniel Sedin. Henrik Sedin 24th overall is a steal!! Daniel Sedin would have been too if not for the injury, he has virtually the same points-per-game as his brother.
Utemin Posted - 03/25/2010 : 18:25:13
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

Beans/Utemin/Oil Country - I want into your pools, they look like easy money

I am in 4 pools total - one homegrown, 3 yahoo live drafts. My best pick was one of my yahoo pools, I got Ryan Miller in the 11th round of 14.

I am in 3rd place in my homegrown pool (been decimated by injuries this year - Lucic, Emery, Gonchar, Bergeron, Hemsky, and now Jeff Carter have all missed significant time). I'm in first in 2 of the yahoo pools (including the Miller pool) and 3rd place in the other yahoo pool.

No money in this pool it is a me and a few friends who just want to rub it in each others face; as for my yahoo pool it is for money, my team looked the best to start with 8th pick of 10 then I had a lot of injury's and my team still looks the best. (Worst player Kurtis Foster picked him up 5 days ago, best players Nicklas backstrom, Mike Green, Patrick Marleau, Evgeni Nabakov, Craig Anderson. Player who is on fire right now Lee Stempniak. In other words i did well until last week :D. (Best player lost Markov)
irvine Posted - 03/25/2010 : 17:06:46
Dany Heatley 23rd overall seems like a small steal to me. I did not do a pool this year, sadly... :(

But Heatley in any pool i've been in, usually seems to go top 10, top 15 max.

Irvine/prez.
ryan93 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 15:57:22
My pool consists of 12 people, and it was a snake draft (i'm assuming that's what it's called when it goes 1-12, 12-1, etc.)...and we went 18 rounds. Our pool is simply 1 point = 1 point, that's it. No requirements either as far as postions go. I ended up picking 2nd, so i took Evgeni Maklin 2nd overall, and then took Dany Heatley with my next pick (23rd).

As far as steals go, unfortunately i really haven't had any this year. The players i were banking on to be steals (Alex Tanguay in 10th round, Derick Brassard 17th round, Peter Mueller 18th round, etc.) have all been big disappointments. The closest thing to a steal for me this year has been Vinny Prospal & his 53 points, whom i drafted in the 12th round.
Guest7478 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 12:00:59
We held a 15 round snake draft (16 participants) and you are required to pick at least 7 forwards 3 defencemen and 1 goaile (active roster) the last 4 players can be any position and are considered bench players - points are not earned until a player is on the active roster.

You can swap bench players as much as you like throughout the year for $2 each time and you can trade for any undrafted players for $5 each time.

Some 1st rounds failures are Datsyuk (5th overall) and Spezza (8th overall)

Some late round steals - B Richards (7th Round), Penner (12th round)
Alex116 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 07:44:35
quote:
Originally posted by Guest3356

Our pool is the simple 1 point goal 1 point assist 2 points for goalie win with one extra point for a shutout. 5 guys snake draft with 8 forwards 4 d-men 2 goalies and a rookie. I am in first place by 38 points I was 3rd pick and my lineup in order is :
Malkin
Kovalchuk
Semin
Backstrom
Richards
Kopitar
Gaborik
Setoguchi
Filatov
Gonchar
Pronger
Enstrom
Doughty
Kiprusoff
Nabokov

My late drafted forwards like Kopitar and Gaborik have been huge. Filatov being sent to russia hurt when i compare him to the Duchene and Tavares the others got for rookies. Setoguchi has also been a letdown started the year so strong playing with Thornton and Heatley but was injured and the best current line in hockey was formed. Note-able absentees were Marleau, Stamoks, and Brad Richards considering the years they are having. 10 games to go and I'm feeling pretty good that 200 dollars is mine!

No offense by any means but i'm surprised you're leading and especially by that much. With only 5 teams picking players, that honestly doesn't look like a winning roster? Again, not trying to offend you, i just would have thought there'd be a better one? Then again, if guys like Marleau, Stamkos and B. Richards weren't taken, there's no telling what the other teams look like?

What's really amazing is seeing where guys were drafted from pool to pool. I'm in 4 draft pools and Backstrom was taken 5th overall in one and in the first round of the others. Granted, there's 10 - 12 guys in each pool but for you to get him in the 4th round means you got him 18th overall? Same with Gaborik, you got him 33rd if my math is correct, he never fell below 20th in my pools?

I'm sure there's some in my pools you would shake your head at too i guess?
Guest3356 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 05:56:31
Our pool is the simple 1 point goal 1 point assist 2 points for goalie win with one extra point for a shutout. 5 guys snake draft with 8 forwards 4 d-men 2 goalies and a rookie. I am in first place by 38 points I was 3rd pick and my lineup in order is :
Malkin
Kovalchuk
Semin
Backstrom
Richards
Kopitar
Gaborik
Setoguchi
Filatov
Gonchar
Pronger
Enstrom
Doughty
Kiprusoff
Nabokov

My late drafted forwards like Kopitar and Gaborik have been huge. Filatov being sent to russia hurt when i compare him to the Duchene and Tavares the others got for rookies. Setoguchi has also been a letdown started the year so strong playing with Thornton and Heatley but was injured and the best current line in hockey was formed. Note-able absentees were Marleau, Stamoks, and Brad Richards considering the years they are having. 10 games to go and I'm feeling pretty good that 200 dollars is mine!
nuxfan Posted - 03/24/2010 : 15:57:32
Beans/Utemin/Oil Country - I want into your pools, they look like easy money

I am in 4 pools total - one homegrown, 3 yahoo live drafts. My best pick was one of my yahoo pools, I got Ryan Miller in the 11th round of 14.

I am in 3rd place in my homegrown pool (been decimated by injuries this year - Lucic, Emery, Gonchar, Bergeron, Hemsky, and now Jeff Carter have all missed significant time). I'm in first in 2 of the yahoo pools (including the Miller pool) and 3rd place in the other yahoo pool.
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 03/24/2010 : 15:01:11
Alex- There are 7 guys in my pool, 4 of us have done pools before and the other 3 are first timers who just kinda tried to wing it with thier picks.
Because of that we had some odd pick ups and some big names going undrafted.
Luongo was picked 2nd over all. Kopitar, Stamkos weren't drafted. Souray was drafted ahead of Keith. Byfuglien went in the 3rd round, Vanek in the first. It was odd
Utemin Posted - 03/24/2010 : 14:52:33
In my pool injured players are replaced with someone at the same point level as them- some players like OVI are always held on to though.

Henrik Sedin 7th round my best pick
Beans15 Posted - 03/24/2010 : 14:43:11
I got Paul Stastny in the 12 round of a 15 round draft. Also picked up Gaborik in the 6th round. Both are over performing compared to the rest of the picks in their respective rounds.

However, I am 5 points out of 1st place right now. Spezza's injury early in the season will be the downfall if I don't win.

Penner was a fluke, but if you want to give me the credit I will definately take it!
Alex116 Posted - 03/24/2010 : 13:55:57

TBar....Henrik Sedin in the 4th round? I know you said you started your draft after the season began but i'd say that's still a steal! Even if Hernrik faltered slightly, 4th round is pretty good! You'd certainly never get him in a draft in this city that late even if they announced he'd be centering Darcy Hordichuk and my grandma!

As for Penner, i think you should thank Beans

I too got Hossa in my draft late, i believe in the last round of 12. We count our top 10 so it wasn't a huge risk and i'm surprised no one took him sooner.

Hawk....please tell me there's only 4 teams in your draft? Stamkos went undrafted after the second half he produced last year??? Even worse, Marleau was available with the last pick? Something's not right there!

I too took Ward in my pool as my goalie but worse than that was listening to advice on here and going with whoever (think Beans was one but not sure?) said p/u Turco over Quick when i got around to dropping him! Oh well, i was leaning towards Turco anyway.

Any way you look at it, my worst pick had to be N. Filatov who managed a whopping 2 whole points before effin' off to Russia's KHL! Good thing our bottom two don't count!
Sensfan101 Posted - 03/24/2010 : 12:58:12
My pool is goal=2 pts Ast=1 Win=3
We determined our picks by drawing names out of a hat while closing our eyes but I cheated and got the 2nd overall pick which I used on Malkin (bad Choice). i took Spezza in the 2nd round (another bad choice) and then Heatley with the following pick. He was only still available cause we're from Ottawa. My best steal was Kopitar in the 12 round and trading Leclaire for Quick 1 month into the season. My biggest bust was my 4th and 5th picks Markov and Thomas

Edit oh and right now i'm in a distant 3rd place

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 03/24/2010 : 12:52:35
6 forwards
2 defense
2 goalies
1 IR backup (can be subbed in in the event of an injury that results in your player being put on IR. Backup must be same position as injured player)

goal: 1 pt
assist: 1 pt

goalie win: 2pt
shut out: 1pt

No trades

Undrafted players can be swapped in for extra $ prior to NHL trade deadline.

I'm currently in a 3 way tie for 2nd but I have the highest PPG in my pool going into the home stretch.

I picked up Patrick Marleau as the absolute last pick in the initial draft, and snagged Stamkos (undrafted) a month into the season. Those were my two "steals" if I have any.

Worst pick by far was Cam Ward (6th round). Subbed him out for Huet (undrafted) just in time to collect on 3 of Huet's 4 shutouts this year.

My worst player still on my team is Chara (8th round)
My best is Ovechkin (1st overall)

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
tbar Posted - 03/24/2010 : 12:48:35
The pool I am i has 11 people in it. We all picked 12 players and are top 11 players points are accumalated. Goals = 1 point and Assist = 1 point. We do a snake draft so the first pick would get 1, 22, 23 etc. The only thing you have to take is at least 1 d-man. We dont use Goalies.

I got the 11th over all pick and my best pick has to be Henrik Sedin in the 4th round (34th overall) everybody passed up on him thinking he woud be a bust without Daniel and its paying off. I also picked up Dustin Penner in the 12th round.

We did our draft a little late so theyre were allready a few key injuries so I manajed to pick up Hossa in the 10th round as well.

My biggest bust this year would have to be Phanuef who i took in the 7th round even thow I dont like the guy he ussually puts up numbers.

At this point I am in first place by 1 point,

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page