Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Ovechkin snows a flag kid...

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
spade632 Posted - 04/22/2010 : 07:37:08
I don't know how many of you saw this, but it strikes me as a completely unnecessary and totally stupid thing for Ovechkin to do.

There's no need for him, during the warmup, to come in at a speed that forces him to stop sharply, showering the flag kid, who is probably having the best night of his life at the moment. I suppose one could make the argument that the kid probably told his friends "I got snowed by Ovechkin!" but still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Pv9VD_5Ew

Your thoughts?
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 05/10/2010 : 17:54:20
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6813

Im not an Ovi fan but who care, so the kids face was wet a few seconds and the kid would have liked it. It's not like the kid was crying

This is the type of response that really annoys me! Because the kid didn't cry and because he might have liked it is not the point here! There was no need for him to do this. Why take the chance that maybe the kid wouldn't "like it"? You just don't do something like this in an opposing rink. If this was at the Horizon centre and it was a kid in a Cap's jersey, it'd be easier to see it as him clowning around with a guy who prob idolizes him! But in Montreal, c'mon......

I really wish anonomys guests wouldn't keep bringing this to the forefront. While i understand i have the option to not read it, i can't help it....then i regret clicking on it!!!
Guest6813 Posted - 05/10/2010 : 15:18:39
Im not an Ovi fan but who care, so the kids face was wet a few seconds and the kid would have liked it. It's not like the kid was crying
99pickles Posted - 05/09/2010 : 16:48:16
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

quote:
Originally posted by Jumbo Joe Rocks

Just because Ovi did it everybody is making a big deal of it, if Laich did it I bet ya nobody would care. He was just playing around with the kid.

GO SHARKS GO

Actually Laich stopped on a off ramp, on his way after the game, and spent 45 minutes helping a woman and her kid, change a flat tire. Not sure if you want to make that comparison.

Hmmm....thoughtful, considerate, helpful Saskatchewan guy, just lost a tough game to be knocked out of the playoffs, yet willing to help a person in minor distress, compared to a self-centered Russian hot-dog, who's fans perceive spraying a 6 year old, as a good time.....

Not exactly helping the Ovie train get back on the rails there..

Exactly.....

Game - Set - Match on this one!
Jumbo Joe Rocks Posted - 05/06/2010 : 11:01:41
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Jumbo Joe Rocks

Just because Ovi did it everybody is making a big deal of it, if Laich did it I bet ya nobody would care. He was just playing around with the kid.

GO SHARKS GO

Actually Laich stopped on a off ramp, on his way after the game, and spent 45 minutes helping a woman and her kid, change a flat tire. Not sure if you want to make that comparison.

Hmmm....thoughtful, considerate, helpful Saskatchewan guy, just lost a tough game to be knocked out of the playoffs, yet willing to help a person in minor distress, compared to a self-centered Russian hot-dog, who's fans perceive spraying a 6 year old, as a good time.....

[/quote)

Just saying I mean that if a superstar did it everybodys angry at them ,like say Scott Walker did it I bet you nobody would care

GO SHARKS GO
Axey Posted - 05/06/2010 : 00:26:18
As I said he pissed off the ghosts, that is why they dressed Dryden for the rest of the series.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 05/05/2010 : 21:35:18
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4379

I'm saddened by this. I realize that people are fervid about their team or opposing teams, but this has to be the most ridiculous waste of time it's been my misfortune to stumble across. Great plays? Amazing stats? Wild deals with millions being paid? Guns, drugs, and fast cars? No. A little kid gets to be on the ice with N.H.L. stars and got a taste of the game that my pre-posters would drool for. Not hurt, not scared, Exhilarated? I would say.
Please forgive me. I'm embarrassed that I've wasted your time, too.

Holy Razzies Batman!

I haven't heard this kind of overly dramatic rhetoric since Keanu Reeves thought he could be more than Bill...or Ted...whichever.

Don't be saddened, it's one thread of many, there are threads that touch on all you mentioned above, except perhaps the guns, drugs and social ills you pontificate upon.

Some of us choose to comment on our distaste for the circumstance, others choose to debate said comments, so far, none have chosen to go all martyr though....good call, be careful stepping down from that soapbox.

The point I've tried to stick to is regarding the class, or lack thereof involved. No need to be emabarrased, I'll gladly continue to waste your time, but only if you choose to allow me to.
Guest4379 Posted - 05/05/2010 : 19:59:36

I'm saddened by this. I realize that people are fervid about their team or opposing teams, but this has to be the most ridiculous waste of time it's been my misfortune to stumble across. Great plays? Amazing stats? Wild deals with millions being paid? Guns, drugs, and fast cars? No. A little kid gets to be on the ice with N.H.L. stars and got a taste of the game that my pre-posters would drool for. Not hurt, not scared, Exhilarated? I would say.
Please forgive me. I'm embarrassed that I've wasted your time, too.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 05/05/2010 : 15:01:00
quote:
Originally posted by Jumbo Joe Rocks

GO SHARKS GO

Jumbo Joe Rocks Posted - 05/05/2010 : 13:16:45

GO SHARKS GO
99pickles Posted - 05/03/2010 : 23:53:06
Actually, a classy professional would have had the couth to not spray the kid, now that I think about it. I suppose this reflects his character then.
Guest9232 Posted - 05/02/2010 : 05:34:52
Ovechkin always does that every game so just because there a Kid laying there not gona stop him from doing his routine. And the Kid was wearing Montreal sweather so he deserve it lol
99pickles Posted - 05/02/2010 : 01:00:31
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

I read throught this topic before I watched the video. By the time I was finished reading, I was like, "wow! I wonder what Ovie did this time!" Needless to say, I can't believe that there is a thread this long about a 5 second clip like this AFTER the kid's parents said they were cool with it. Are there really no better things to discuss? There wasn't even a topic made about Hossa's hit from behind which was EERILY similar to Ovie's. I like Ovie. I love his play! I understand why people don't like him. I can accept that. But ripping on him for something like this doesn't do a whole lot for me. If this was any other hockey player, it wouldn't be discussed.

I partially agree, if this was any other player, it probably wouldn't be discussed, true enough. But, if it was another player of Ovechkin's stature in the game, a Crosby, a Henrik Sedin, a Joe Thornton from todays' game, a Sakic, Yzerman, Forsberg or even back to a Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr, etc., then I am pretty sure it would indeed be talked about and debated,.
The only problem with that comparison, is that none of the aforementioned would ever do something like this, justifying the whole discussion you say shouldn't happen...nothing like a paradox of bad behaviour to make one think.

I hate multi-quotes in one reply, but it is too tedious to clean it up...

But I highlighted the part in red that I am finding the most important.
polishexpress Posted - 05/01/2010 : 15:25:20
Also is fun to see how people respond to various comments, as ones responded to mine!

That's the whole fun of this thread, really about a minor thing, but upon dissection, questions the whole fabric of Ovechkin himself.

Naaaa, who am I kidding? Most of us just like to argue a lot!!!
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 05/01/2010 : 15:19:38
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

I read throught this topic before I watched the video. By the time I was finished reading, I was like, "wow! I wonder what Ovie did this time!" Needless to say, I can't believe that there is a thread this long about a 5 second clip like this AFTER the kid's parents said they were cool with it. Are there really no better things to discuss? There wasn't even a topic made about Hossa's hit from behind which was EERILY similar to Ovie's. I like Ovie. I love his play! I understand why people don't like him. I can accept that. But ripping on him for something like this doesn't do a whole lot for me. If this was any other hockey player, it wouldn't be discussed.

I partially agree, if this was any other player, it probably wouldn't be discussed, true enough. But, if it was another player of Ovechkin's stature in the game, a Crosby, a Henrik Sedin, a Joe Thornton from todays' game, a Sakic, Yzerman, Forsberg or even back to a Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr, etc., then I am pretty sure it would indeed be talked about and debated,.
The only problem with that comparison, is that none of the aforementioned would ever do something like this, justifying the whole discussion you say shouldn't happen...nothing like a paradox of bad behaviour to make one think.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 05/01/2010 : 15:00:22
99pickles Posted - 05/01/2010 : 13:11:14
quote:
Originally posted by polishexpress

I think pickles you may have misunderstood my post a bit.

I don't condone what Ovie did in spraying the flag kid, but was it really that big a deal? The kid barely flinched. And, pickles, you can't actually say he did it on purpose: in fact we only have one camera angle of an incident that takes less than 5 seconds. From our angle, we can't even prove that all of the spray hit the kid.

In fact, from the camera angle and length of the clip, it is inconclusive what his intent was. Unless, pickles, you can read minds?

Another thing, pickles, you said he did this because Montreal completed a comeback. What? This video is from either the first or second game in MTL(look at the timestamps in this thread), so that means that the Caps were either tied 1-1 or up 2-1. In no way would it have been an revenge thing or a warning.

I also don't mind people stating their opinion, I stated my own. What I was saying is that spraying a kid shouldn't be that big of a deal in comparison to the other things he does. It definitely wasn't the most professional thing to do, but does that really surprise you coming from Ovechkin?

I appreciate this response, polishexpress.

I wasn't necessarily responding directly to you ( I wasn't exactly keeping track of who was on which side).

I just wanted to rebut against some of the "fandom" pov's that seem to be floating around about this topic.

I wanted it to be clear that I have no partisanship on the issue, one way or the other. That is why in the one post I anonymized the player by simply saying "a player". It isn't about who did this, it is about the act. Imagine if it was Darcy Tucker or Sean Avery though!

I swear to god that every time I watch the video, it looks a little different though!! A little more innocent every time as a matter of fact.

Also, I must have been unclear as to the timing of the 'incident' (for lack of a better word), I was suggesting that Montreal cued a comeback in response to this. I was being facetious though I hardly doubt this registered on their collective radar.

Cheers polishexpress!
Guest4988 Posted - 05/01/2010 : 09:38:13
To Polish Express, I'm just getting a chance to respond to your earlier reply to me. You said that comparing Ovechkin to earlier greats is like comparing the cost of a dinner today to that of 25-50 yrs ago? I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous comparison, in my opinion. Class is class in any era !! Also, Beans noted in an earlier post that past greats such as Sakic, Gartner, etc would never have done what Ovechkin did to that kid. As far as what should we expect from a young athlete in this generation, Yzerman & Sakic played against Ovechkin and were rich, but never behaved like Ovechkin does. Listen, I have no problem with Ovechkin's skills ( he's one of the top two players in the NHL today ), but I think he lacks in the class and respect for others departments.
Alex116 Posted - 05/01/2010 : 00:34:39
pe...... i fully understand what you're saying. I only questioned the part about the spray actually hitting the kid or moreso "how much" actually hit him.

To your reply about whether or not it surprises me, i get that too. It actually does in fact surprise me that any professional would do this. Having said that, i know where you're coming from with your comments and i wasn't questioning your entire post, just what i mentioned above.

Either way, no disrespect intended and i totally understand what you were alluding to!
polishexpress Posted - 04/30/2010 : 19:58:30
Obviously, Alex, I'm playing devil's advocate.

And, I am going to advocate some more: there is no doubt that Alex Ovechkin meant to make a hard stop.

But, Ovechkin, although an NHL pro, is also human, and may have slightly miscalculated the angle necessary for the stop not to spray snow on the mini-hab.

Come on, Alex, I keep saying the same thing over and over, and fat elvis recognized this, and, I am going to quote myself again:
quote:
It definitely wasn't the most professional thing to do, but does that really surprise you coming from Ovechkin?

I reiterate: THE VIDEO HAS A 5 SECOND INCIDENT. We don't have much context, neither do we have Ovechkin's comments on the matter.

It's Ovechkin, what did you expect him to do? He is not a true professional by any means. His overall conduct this year demonstrated that very, very clearly.
Alex116 Posted - 04/30/2010 : 09:27:57
I'm not a huge Ovie hater, nor am i a huge fan of his. I respect his talent, i enjoy watching his highlight reel goals and rushes up the ice, etc but i can't get over the fact that this snow job, while "not a big deal", was intentional.

Keep in mind, i agree, it's not in the same mold as attacking a camera person, but it's still an act that i'd like to think a pro would refrain from doing. If this was a kid in Washington in a Cap's jersey, it'd be a little different. It's clearly a kid out on the ice as part of the introduction of the hometown Canadiens and what Ovie did was simply childish!

polishexpress..... How can you question just how much spray hit the kid and why bother to mention that the kid didn't flinch? It's clear to me when i watch it that most of the spray did hit the kid, albeit not high enough to get him in the face. That might be why the kid didn't flinch?

Either way, a very amateur thing to do from a highly paid, highly regarded and highly skilled professional athlete!
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 04/29/2010 : 21:27:02
quote:

I also don't mind people stating their opinion, I stated my own. What I was saying is that spraying a kid shouldn't be that big of a deal in comparison to the other things he does. It definitely wasn't the most professional thing to do, but does that really surprise you coming from Ovechkin?

Wish I would have seen this before I posted my long-winded diatribe.

Kinda saying the same thing....

Absolutely right, it isn't a big deal, just an Ovechkin deal.....and I want to expect better from a player so talented, he's one of the few truly great players to disappoint in that regard, him and Eric Lindros.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 04/29/2010 : 21:20:56
So I'm watching the Sharks, Wings game tonight and after Howard makes a routine stop, Big Joe comes in and snows him unnecessarily.

Big Joe gets a punch in the face, there's almost a donnybrook because of it, and the Wings take complete offence to the action.

Yeah, I guess some of you are right, since it's Ovechkin, and it's just some kid, and it's just him being the big goofball he is, it's no big deal, right?

Comparing Ovechkin to the greats is indeed relevant, he is that talented, and has that kind of impact on the game. Unfortunately, he can't compare to most of the greats because of actions like these, not this one in particular, but this is just one of many that make him the target of said comparisons.

Comparing Ovechkin to an Avery, or Kane, is less relevant, he is that far ahead of these players, skillwise. Unless of course you are only comparing their donkeyness, then maybe you are correct.

It's not a question of like or dislike and more a question of what I consider acceptable behaviour. IMO only.

I'm pretty sure Alex hasn't met many cameras he hasn't liked yet,(except the one in Vancouver of course), so to say he is overly scrutinized by the media, is like calling Fat Elvis big-boned, it just isn't quite the right perception of the reality.
polishexpress Posted - 04/29/2010 : 21:13:50
I think pickles you may have misunderstood my post a bit.

I don't condone what Ovie did in spraying the flag kid, but was it really that big a deal? The kid barely flinched. And, pickles, you can't actually say he did it on purpose: in fact we only have one camera angle of an incident that takes less than 5 seconds. From our angle, we can't even prove that all of the spray hit the kid.

In fact, from the camera angle and length of the clip, it is inconclusive what his intent was. Unless, pickles, you can read minds?

Another thing, pickles, you said he did this because Montreal completed a comeback. What? This video is from either the first or second game in MTL(look at the timestamps in this thread), so that means that the Caps were either tied 1-1 or up 2-1. In no way would it have been an revenge thing or a warning.

99pickles Posted - 04/29/2010 : 17:06:22
You are pretty naive if you think that he didn't do this on purpose. He clearly does not do it by accident, and he clearly does not pause and give any friendly communication to the kid afterwards.

And it would be bizarre for a player of the opposition to even do so to a kid wearing the opponent's jersey anyways.

However, the fact that he even did it at all is why there was a purpose, or meaning, or message, or intent, or reason, or whatever. He has sent non-verbal communication through his actions.

And I still laugh every time I watch it

Clearly his reasoning for doing this was successful, because Montreal just completed the comeback.

Maybe he should spend more time thinking of ways to lead his team to success, than whether to send a message to the opposition in the form a snow-spraying someone uninvolved in the series, before the game has even started.

I ask you this: Did this make Ovechkin look better in your eyes or worse? Did he improve his status in your view, or did he diminish it? You can't deny that he did what he did - the evidence is right there for all to see. He did it.

Oh, and athletes, celebrities, politicians etc etc are always constantly scrutinized - it comes with the territory. Become a hermit if you can't stand the pressure. Also, online forums are all about watching the games, the players, the sport and then subsequently posting about what happens involving the sport and the players. It's ok for fans to have feelings about the things that happen, no matter what side they are on. So for one to say "stop scrutinizing" or "who cares" is about the equivalent of posting in a thread that you hate this thread.

polishexpress Posted - 04/28/2010 : 15:50:20
Okay, this is ridiculous. Dear guests, Beans established, I reiterated, and then Beans reiterated again that the "spraying" will be viewed negatively by those who do not cheer for Ovechkin, and will be dismissed by those who cheer for Ovechkin.

Guest 4988, why even bother to compare Ovechkin to the greats in terms of conduct?

If you look at all the swearing, diving, and unsportsmanlike conduct in the NHL today, it is unprecedented. Not a game goes by where I will not see an NHLer mouth off at another or disrespect them in some other manner.

Comparing Ovechkin to players from bygone eras is like reminiscing about how much less everything used to cost. Thanks to inflation, and changing economies, you can't compare the cost, for example, of a dinner out now to a dinner out 25-50 years ago.

Similarly, Ovechkin is made to look like a vertiable *donkey* and villain in comparison to Orr, Beliveau etc. But what do you expect from a 20yr-old millionaire who is considered an icon of a multi-million dollar business? Compare his actions to others his age in the NHL on the ice and off(ie Kane, Avery, even Crosby and Toews swear on the ice)

Besides, Ovechkin is constantly scrutinized by media and fans unlike average people like us. Give him a break... it was just a bit of water.

Just stop vilifying him for 10 seconds of his life where he sprays some ice on a kid and doesn't apologize.

Vilify Ovechkin for bad hits, selfish attitude, and what Beans hates: too many shots.
Guest9875 Posted - 04/28/2010 : 14:25:09
I think Ovechkin should of gave the kid a pat on the head or something like come on!!!!
Guest4988 Posted - 04/27/2010 : 19:31:20
Sorry, to me, it was just plain rude and dangerous to do that to the kid. I also think it sets a bad example to kids that ice spraying is OK. I'm not an Ovechkin fan, nor a Montreal fan, so it has nothing to do with who I root for; I'm been a Blackhawk fan for over 40 years. I can tell you this though, you would never see some of the game's greats like Bobby Orr, Jean Beliveau, Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic or even Sidney Crosby ever do something like that.
Beans15 Posted - 04/27/2010 : 14:19:24
This does have a ton to do with perception and reputation.

For example, when Ryan Smyth was in Edmonton, he was often part of the starting line up. The Oilers did this thing where a wee hockey player(usually 5 or 6 years old) would be an Oiler for the night and would get to skate out to the blue line in full gear and stand with the Oilers during the National Anthem(s). Well often the kid would skate beside Smyth. Through the whole Anthem, Smyth would be tapping the kid on the pads with his stick and playing around with him. Not disrespectfully, but just giving the kid a memory.

That being said, if I ever watched Ryan Smyth snow a kid, because of his past actions, I wouldn't think anything negative about it.

However, I also know that Ryan Smyth would never snow a kid, holding a flag, in the midst of what appeared to be a presentation or entrance of some kind.

It still comes down to liking Ovechkin or not. I love his skill, his in game passion, and his interviews always make me laugh. Other than that, I think he's not a good face for hockey off the ice and some of his between play antics are not something I am a fan of.

Any he also shoots way to much
polishexpress Posted - 04/27/2010 : 12:11:28
It's exactly like Beans said: those who like Ovechkin probably think less of it than those who do not like him.

The thing is, ReyR is right, it is a 30-second clip, in fact, less than that, because a 5-10 second portion is replayed a couple times.

That it has to be replayed so many times reiterates that we are making too big a deal out of the whole thing... we should be focusing more on the fact that the Caps, supposedly the best team in the league, cannot win a series in less than 7 games.

Who knows, Montreal might still win game 7. Then what will the Capitals do?

Blame Ovechkin for snowing a flag kid and motivating Montreal, that's what.
ReyR Posted - 04/27/2010 : 11:09:46
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

ReyR says: "I neither hate nor love OV and here's my 2 cents:

How do we know OV didn't smile/nod/wink at the kid?

We are all making assumptions of what did/didn't happen. If it was a big deal then the kid and his family would have said something.

What was OV proving? What was his purpose? Did he have to do it to prove something? Why are we assuming he did this on purpose in the first place?

At the end of the day, none of the involved parties are complaining. The digital age has brought instant news but at the same time every small detail is analyzed to death.

The only people finding it "disrespectful" are people that didn't like OV to begin with.

The only thing I'm gathering from this thread is that haters will hate.

I personally like Ovechkin; I don't hate him at all. He is one of the greatest players of thie current era.
But I still think that what he did was both unusual and questionable. And did you watch the video? There is no evidence that he did anything else to ensure a good-natured message in the exchange. Yes, he may have winked..but that would not be very ensuring of a good-natured exchange with a youth hockey fan.

I feel that this is definitely not an issue or a big deal, but it was certainly a strange decision for an NHLer to snow-job a kid and then instantly go sit on the bench. Actually, I think it's hilarious! This clip makes me laugh! I'm just curious as to what his thinking was. To intimidate a child? Who knows.

However...Montreal did just win Game 6. Keep giving your opponent fuel....

So if a guy you "like" as a hockey player winked at you, you would not take that as a good gesture? What would you take it as?

I watched the video and could not tell whether he did it on purpose or whether it was accidental. You seem to assume he did it on purpose and I ask where the evidence is to show that.

For someone who "likes" Ovechkin, you sure do like to think the worst of him.
Guest2789 Posted - 04/27/2010 : 10:59:56
I think he was just in a hurry to get off the ice so a "too many men" penalty wouldn't be called. Really it is kind of funny....the world is full of crybabies.
Axey Posted - 04/27/2010 : 09:29:04
Seems like Ovie pissed off the Montreal ghost's with that one, they werent in the building for game 4 though.. they seen it on TSN. They showed up to seek revenge for game 5 & 6. Hopefully the same for game 7.
99pickles Posted - 04/26/2010 : 19:13:56
ReyR says: "I neither hate nor love OV and here's my 2 cents:

We are all making assumptions of what did/didn't happen. If it was a big deal then the kid and his family would have said something.

What was OV proving? What was his purpose? Did he have to do it to prove something? Why are we assuming he did this on purpose in the first place?

At the end of the day, none of the involved parties are complaining. The digital age has brought instant news but at the same time every small detail is analyzed to death.

The only people finding it "disrespectful" are people that didn't like OV to begin with.

I personally like Ovechkin; I don't hate him at all. He is one of the greatest players of thie current era.
But I still think that what he did was both unusual and questionable. And did you watch the video? There is no evidence that he did anything else to ensure a good-natured message in the exchange. Yes, he may have winked..but that would not be very ensuring of a good-natured exchange with a youth hockey fan.

I feel that this is definitely not an issue or a big deal, but it was certainly a strange decision for an NHLer to snow-job a kid and then instantly go sit on the bench. Actually, I think it's hilarious! This clip makes me laugh! I'm just curious as to what his thinking was. To intimidate a child? Who knows.

However...Montreal did just win Game 6. Keep giving your opponent fuel....
ReyR Posted - 04/26/2010 : 15:15:47
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

quote:

I'm sure all the Ovie fans are going to get on me for this, but WTF?

Why? For what reason? Multitude of questions come into my head about why Ovechkin would do something so inconsiderate.

Another reason I question his ability as a person, his talent speaks for itself. The guy is starting to look more and more like a self-centered egotist every day.

Some say no big deal? A tap on the shinpads wouldn't have had a better and more lasting impact? Oh right, it's Ovechkin, he was probably ready to throw another of his big hits, the opponent was about the right size.

I'm sorry, I just don't get why he would do that, totally classless, I'm pretty sure if it was my kid, I'd be protesting to the league, but that's just me.

I really enjoyed the way he sat down and punched his gloves together after, really showed his intensity. Maybe next time he can crosscheck one of those shovel girls to really get himself pumped up. What a moron he can be.

What could he possibly say to negate how bad that looked? I was only having fun with the kid? I didn't mean it? It was not intentional? I thought it was Cammaleri and was going to crush him? It all sounds lame already....

And before you Ovie lovers get all excited about how he's playing with passion, and they're on to the Stanley Cup, and yada yada yada....tell me why any of that makes this okay. It was a kid, being allowed to be part of what may be one of the greatest memories of is life, and he has to wipe snow off his face, because of an overgrown child....give me a break.

I categorically agree with everything stated here.

What was the purpose of doing this to this kid? Don't give me this sh*t about "he does this every game". Really? He snow showers a little kid before every game?? Oh...then it's ok? If he has a superstition of doing this after every warm-up skate, he certainly could have just moved it a couple inches closer to the very door he exited the ice from!
Although I don't think it's a big deal, it is frickin' weird that he thought this was a good idea in anyway... Ovie is just getting more and more bizarre! Add this to the bizarre list with the dorky 'fishing cap All Star show', and the 'hot stick' show amongst other things.

Oh, and whether or not the kid has a cool story to tell his friends, and whether or not he takes it well isn't the point...the point is he was just some local kid taking a part in on-ice pre-game festivities (like they do in ALL SPORTS, keep in mind) and then a visiting pro (Ovie or not) screeches at him and gives him a snow-job.... just weird...

What was Ovie proving??

I am inclined to think that he was just trying to be funny and hotdog-ish, which is just his nature, no big deal...I suppose. I just hope he realizes that every little disrespectful thing that any player does will always give opponents fuel to compete harder against them. It shall be noted that Montreal won tonight. They may not win the series, but they won 1-2 more games than expected by most and it's not over yet.

But if it was good-natured fun, why didn't he give the kid a friendly tap of the stick or gloves? Weird.....

I neither hate nor love OV and here's my 2 cents:

99pickles Posted - 04/23/2010 : 22:36:19
quote:

I'm sure all the Ovie fans are going to get on me for this, but WTF?

Why? For what reason? Multitude of questions come into my head about why Ovechkin would do something so inconsiderate.

Another reason I question his ability as a person, his talent speaks for itself. The guy is starting to look more and more like a self-centered egotist every day.

Some say no big deal? A tap on the shinpads wouldn't have had a better and more lasting impact? Oh right, it's Ovechkin, he was probably ready to throw another of his big hits, the opponent was about the right size.

I'm sorry, I just don't get why he would do that, totally classless, I'm pretty sure if it was my kid, I'd be protesting to the league, but that's just me.

I really enjoyed the way he sat down and punched his gloves together after, really showed his intensity. Maybe next time he can crosscheck one of those shovel girls to really get himself pumped up. What a moron he can be.

What could he possibly say to negate how bad that looked? I was only having fun with the kid? I didn't mean it? It was not intentional? I thought it was Cammaleri and was going to crush him? It all sounds lame already....

And before you Ovie lovers get all excited about how he's playing with passion, and they're on to the Stanley Cup, and yada yada yada....tell me why any of that makes this okay. It was a kid, being allowed to be part of what may be one of the greatest memories of is life, and he has to wipe snow off his face, because of an overgrown child....give me a break.

I categorically agree with everything stated here.

What was the purpose of doing this to this kid? Don't give me this sh*t about "he does this every game". Really? He snow showers a little kid before every game?? Oh...then it's ok? If he has a superstition of doing this after every warm-up skate, he certainly could have just moved it a couple inches closer to the very door he exited the ice from!
Although I don't think it's a big deal, it is frickin' weird that he thought this was a good idea in anyway... Ovie is just getting more and more bizarre! Add this to the bizarre list with the dorky 'fishing cap All Star show', and the 'hot stick' show amongst other things.

Oh, and whether or not the kid has a cool story to tell his friends, and whether or not he takes it well isn't the point...the point is he was just some local kid taking a part in on-ice pre-game festivities (like they do in ALL SPORTS, keep in mind) and then a visiting pro (Ovie or not) screeches at him and gives him a snow-job.... just weird...

What was Ovie proving??

I am inclined to think that he was just trying to be funny and hotdog-ish, which is just his nature, no big deal...I suppose. I just hope he realizes that every little disrespectful thing that any player does will always give opponents fuel to compete harder against them. It shall be noted that Montreal won tonight. They may not win the series, but they won 1-2 more games than expected by most and it's not over yet.

But if it was good-natured fun, why didn't he give the kid a friendly tap of the stick or gloves? Weird.....
Guest4626 Posted - 04/23/2010 : 20:28:33
Notice how the people that say it wasnt that bad are all Leafs fans, if it happened to a leafs kid they would be complaining so much it would clog up this whole page, I'm a montreal fan (not from Montreal) and I agree the na na na na goodbye is bad but snowing a kid? Really Ovie?
Beans15 Posted - 04/23/2010 : 16:47:33
I can see both sides of this, but in the end, the question is did Ovechkin really have to do that??If he was all jacked up and pumped for a big game at the Molson Centre, fine. But why couldn't he go to the bench at the other entrance?? Did he really feel a need to do that??? Why couldn't he snow the board to the side of the entrance rather than the kid???

This is a perfect example of the perception Mr. Ovechkin. Guys that love Ovechkin laugh off these kinds of things. Guys that dislike Ovechkin use this as fuel for the fire.

He is great hockey player and absolutely the most exciting players in the NHL today. But he is not a great ambassador to the sport, in my humblest of opinions.

Think of the truly classy guys of hockey today and yesterday and ask if this is something you could see Yzerman, Sakic, Gilmour, Messier, Gartner, etc EVER do???
HockeyGuru Posted - 04/23/2010 : 14:46:07
LOL...That kids gonna be famous for the rest of his life....If i was his Dad i'd get a picture framed of it and hang it in his room....maybe Ovie will sign it.
grandfarfadet Posted - 04/23/2010 : 11:43:13
Well, to those who don't know, there's those flag-bearing kids before every Habs game. Every time, it's a different kid. It wasn't to disturb Ovechkin (really laughed when I read that one). The fact is that he did this before game 4, but not before game 3. When I saw it live on TV I thought it was a bit of unconcern at first. I thought Ovie was just not caring about the kid. Just like: "The kid is there. So what?" But then he just goes to the bench and sit down and the kid stays there, confused. I hoped, for the kid, that Ovie would give him something to remember other than the memory and being almost destroyed by a superstar. That is just my opinion, though.

I never was a big fan of Ovie but I always admitted his skills are awesome and jaw-dropping. He brings a big show to the NHL, which is most needed to join new fans, but he just isn't my stuff. What kills me is his lack of concern about everything, just like Patrick Kane. Amazing players who do stupid things out of the game.

I know it's part of his routine, but I never believed in that kind of thing. What you do before the game isn't supposed to influence your game (except maybe if you eat 16 extra chili tacos). We should go back to the time where the teams benches were not on the same side of the rink to avoid that kind of accident again, because it isn't Ovie's fault if that stupid kid was in the way. By the way, I'm sarcastic right now.

If it was a Habs guy doing this, I would still consider it being *class-less*. It's not what hockey is about, I think.

John Kordic is the living proof that drugs can kill! -Traduction of a famous Jean Perron sentence
Canucks Man Posted - 04/23/2010 : 11:42:05
Wow, If Matt Bradley or Eric Belanger has snowed the kid no one would have even none about it. They wouldn't have talked about it on TSN and there wouldn't be a topic on this site. I say to all the people bashing Ovechkin for this, maybe you have to much time on your hands.

BTW, TSN said that the kids father isn't mad and that the kid loved the whole experience of being the flag bearer.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page