Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 scrums

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest6142 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 09:59:53
This is something that's always made me mad. How whenever there's a scrum in the NHL playoffs, the ref just takes first guy in.
Not only is that ridiculously unfair...it seems completely unecessary. I understand the league wants to put the kybosh on post-whistle scrums, but why? For me they just add to the emotion and excitement of the playoffs, i understand the TV stations may not love it but hockey's a rough game, what are they going to take out fighting next?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
99pickles Posted - 05/09/2010 : 20:06:27
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

99 Pickles - at any time, in the past, when players were supposedly allowed to "police themselves" - were there still scrums? Still dirty plays, dirty hits, dirty players?

Thought so.

There is no such thing as a system in professional sports that polices itself . . . what a ridiculous argument , I am really sick of hearing it.

Penalising the first man in is the best solution - while not perfect, it makes a scrum less likely to happen. The problem is, it is hardly ever penalised on a consistent basis - hence, the constant scrums.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

I am pretty sure that there are a heck of a lot more constant after-whistle shoving matches nowadays. Watch a classic game and add up the amount of time spent on this.

I am not sure if you ever watched a game before the instigator rule went in, but that is what self-policing was. Yep, every team had an enforcer or goon, but it kept every player on the ice honest, you didn't have every wimp on the ice sticking his nose (or stick) into the pile because of the fear of this retribution. But now there is no fear of having to defend yourself in an actual fight.
This deterrent also caused players to give just a wee bit more space to the more skilled of the opposition.

This was the game that existed prior to the nineties. I argue that those were some good times for hockey, not the dead-puck era of 1994 onward.

But the topic at hand was about scrums, and I find them tedious (just my opinion I think eliminating the instigator will eliminate this, in turn.
n/a Posted - 05/09/2010 : 18:53:57
99 Pickles - at any time, in the past, when players were supposedly allowed to "police themselves" - were there still scrums? Still dirty plays, dirty hits, dirty players?

Thought so.

There is no such thing as a system in professional sports that polices itself . . . what a ridiculous argument , I am really sick of hearing it.

Penalising the first man in is the best solution - while not perfect, it makes a scrum less likely to happen. The problem is, it is hardly ever penalised on a consistent basis - hence, the constant scrums.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
99pickles Posted - 05/09/2010 : 16:32:21
quote:
Originally posted by polishexpress

I answer your comments and questions with a question:

Where in the hockey rule book are you allowed to fight, hit, punch, grab, hook, hold a player before or after a whistle?

Before or after a whistle is about the only time you can grab, hook, or hold a player without receiving a penalty.

Fighting is not allowed at any time - before, during, or after any play. Any player involved in a fight gets a penalty, no matter when it happens.

It doesn't say anywhere that you can't jaw or shove a little after plays.

And, yes, it is definitely tedious. I wholeheartedly believe that if players were allowed to police themselves a little bit more, there would no longer be this constant pushing and shoving after every whistle....many players would be concerned about receiving comeuppance at a later time at the hands of an opponent. This would be a lovely deterrent for the more cowardly players.

I am as much of a peace nik as the next guy, but the only way to get back to beautiful, high-flying hockey is to allow a certain amount of self-policing on the part of the players.

People generally don't like to be punched about the face and head area, it is truly a deterrent!
Guest9423 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 15:32:54
I'll answer your question with a question as well ^^^

Its playoffs hockey since when can players be robots and not show any emotional after a whistle?
polishexpress Posted - 05/08/2010 : 11:36:57
I answer your comments and questions with a question:

Where in the hockey rule book are you allowed to fight, hit, punch, grab, hook, hold a player before or after a whistle?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page