Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Mitchell speaks out....

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex116 Posted - 05/14/2010 : 09:08:36
Willie Mitchell yesterday spoke out about head shots including the one he sustained (hit from behind) that concussed him and has sidelined him since mid January. It's an interesting interview / article and he will likely be fined but he's quite right about Colin Cambell being in a difficult position in regards to "being friends" with some gm's / owners and therefore maybe having difficulty suspending certain teams players more than others?

Not sure if it's in this article but in the Province newspaper, he suggested a panel or an outside individual should review these hits and hand out suspensions?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Taking+shots+heads/3026669/story.html
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
99pickles Posted - 05/16/2010 : 12:03:35
The most important thing to me was that he offered a solution.
It makes complete sense to me that an outside body should govern discipline.
Colin Campbell should want to do this in order to wash his hands of the discipline headaches completely, and to really make it obvious that there is no favouritism going on.
If you've heard Campbell speak much on the various issues over the last few seasons, you will have noticed the exasperation and fatigue in his voice.
He should seriously consider a professional, outside body to handle the disciplinary process in the future.
Utemin Posted - 05/15/2010 : 15:27:32
I hope he will be back; Canucks may have won the Cup with him still here.

The Monkey is me
n/a Posted - 05/15/2010 : 09:51:42
Read the interview finally . . . so sad. Sad for the game of hockey.

Well said by Mitchell, and I hope he recovers so that he can lead a normal life. He said what we've all (well, most of us) have observed for years - wildly inconsistent calls, wildly inconsistent discipline handed out by Colin Campbell. And it needs to be shouted out from the rooftops, because if anyone hasn't been paying attention, nothing changes in the NHL without a swift kick in the derriere.

Like Mitchell said, hopefully the change doesn't have to come as a result of a death or horrific injury . . . but history shows us that may just be what has to happen.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest4803 Posted - 05/14/2010 : 18:14:33
mitchell wont be back he could hardly even speak last night, he will have to apply for a job on the old lindros ranch by the sounds of things
nuxfan Posted - 05/14/2010 : 10:53:35
Leigh, I thought the same thing - he was talking like he's not coming back, and looked like he was ready to break down during much of the interview. Its a shame if he ends his career like this, and at a relatively young age too.

I remember seeing the hit at the time it happened, and thinking that it should have been a suspend-able offense. Unfortunately, it happened about 2 months too early - had the incident happened after the sudden highlighting of headshots and dangerous hits when OV got suspended, Malkin would have gotten games for sure.
leigh Posted - 05/14/2010 : 10:50:16
Saw this on Sportsnet last night and thought it was pretty ballsy. Sounds like a guy who might not be coming back to play due to his concussion and is willing to speak out.
Guest4780 Posted - 05/14/2010 : 09:53:18
It's not a bad idea, something has to be done and Campbell has been way too inconsistent to be effective. I think consistency more than anything else would help.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page