Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Captain Dion`s first day on the job!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pasty7 Posted - 09/01/2010 : 06:24:26
I will try and find the link (for those of you who can read french) but i was surprised to only see this article in the journal de montreal, (the french language news paper in montreal) It was about Dion`s first day in Leafs camp. It was actually quite complimentry which is surprising given the extremly bias nature of the french media. It went on to say apprently whithin the first couple minutes of scrimage Dion caught Kadri coming across the bluline with his head between his knees. Instead of holding up Dion took it to the young leafs Rookie hard taking the poor kids feet right off the ice,, apprently he went to the Kadri on the bench after and had a chat with him,, it also went on to say he was viscious in the corners with a lot of young Marlies and vene vetrans like Komisarek (i could see those two as great line mates) according to the article Dion was all buisness on the ice and seemed to be playing as if the Stanley cup was on the line.

personally this is a good thing in my eyes and a sign that the leafs may have got it right with this guy,, the added pressure of the C in one of the most intense hockey market in the world mays have matured him into a leader!

Pasty
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 09/08/2010 : 12:30:47
just want to point out that the montreal article has the story a little mixed up... Phaneuf didnt lay out Kadri, he did the opposite. he had him lined up and instead of rocking him he eased up and just scared Nazem a little, just to let him know to keep his damn head up.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
The Duke Posted - 09/06/2010 : 17:43:05
As a leaf fan i can`t really say too much on Komisarek because he didn`t play enough with TO to see where he really fits in. Kaberle has been there a long time, for the right deal i would move him. Schenn looks really slow-footed to me, and they say he has bulked up more this year...yikes. I really don`t know what to say about Beauchemin after watching him last season....hard to comment on him either way. I really like Gunnarson, i believe he will become a great player. Lebda was a great signing i think, Detroit`s winning ways may be a positive factor for Toronto here, picking up this guy. Phaneuf, what can u say...go leafs !!!
Beans15 Posted - 09/05/2010 : 19:36:34
Irvine, I would agree who heartedly, however I think Burke handcuffed himself with the deals for both Komisarek and Beauchemin.

Both are coming off weaker seasons by theirs(and most other's) standard. Beauchemin is a $3.8 million cap hit through 11/12 and Komisarek is a $4.5 million through 13/14 including a $6 million salary this season and $5.5 million next season. I can't see how anyone is going to pay that much money to a guy who gets less than 20 points a season(at his best) unless he is one of the top 3-5 defensive players in the NHL. Let's face it, he's not. Not only that, he has played an average of less than 60 games in the past 3 seasons.

I agree completely that I would prefer to keep Kaberle and move Komisarek if I were Burke. But there just isn't anything that he does that makes it worth the money Komisarek is making.
irvine Posted - 09/05/2010 : 18:05:56
I like the Leafs back end, personally. It seems like a good mix of young and experienced, offensive and defensive. Solid mixture.

But with that being said, they are paying too much for their defense right now and, have perhaps one extra guy signed too many.

If the Leafs are to move a defender, I'd personally prefer they kept Kaberle and moved a guy like Komisarek. Kaberle is a valuable offensive player on any back end, especially one that struggles offensively to begin with. If Kaberle is happy in Toronto as he says (who really knows), and would re-sign there next year... I'd be interested in keeping him, especially since they can not get the value they want for him. If Burke can't get what he really needs (a true #1 Center), I'd keep Kaberle.

I'd move a guy like Komisarek for what I can get (prospect or picks), and continue on with Kaberle seeking out my #1 Center in other ways.

If they can't get a #1 Center (which is what they need), I see no reason to move their #1 offensive d-man in Kaberle. I'd keep him, and move out salary elsewhere in Komisarek or Beachumen.

Irvine/prez.
Leafs81 Posted - 09/05/2010 : 16:24:59
Beans that lineup is exactly what I think will happen. But I would rather see Schenn play with Kaberle and then Gunnarson and Komisarek together. The first pairing of Beauchemin and Phaneuf seems right.
Beans15 Posted - 09/05/2010 : 08:13:27
Really, I don't like Phaneuf with Komisarek at all. They are too much alike defensively in they will often sacrifice a play to make a hit. Like it or not, at least a couple of times a game Phaneuf's partner will be hung out to dry by him trying to make a hit in open ice. That's just they way it is and Komisarek is very similar in his play making him the wrong guy to pair with Phaneuf.

I think it will be very clear in a short order that Beauchemin is the right partner for Phaneuf. Beauchemin did an awesome job riding shotgun for both Neidermayer and Pronger in Anaheim and he did look like a fish out of water playing with the lesser partners he had in TO last season.

I see the Leaf's defensive group looking something like:

Phaneuf - Beauchemin
Kaberle - Komisarek
Gunnarson/Lebda - Schenn

That is, until Kaberle is trade of course. Then Schenn will move up to play wtih Komisarek.
Deaner Posted - 09/04/2010 : 06:48:59
Dion is gonna be a tank this season, i could also see him paired up with komisarek think that has some potential...
Alex116 Posted - 09/02/2010 : 17:17:58
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

was thinking you were a grammer teacher alex...whats up ?

It's in regards to Beans' "hate-on" for the average fan calling their favorite team "theirs" or referring to moves by said teams as "WE". It's in another thread....
The Duke Posted - 09/02/2010 : 14:43:47
was thinking you were a grammer teacher alex...whats up ?
Alex116 Posted - 09/01/2010 : 23:05:51
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2246

Phaneuf and Pronger are my favorite 2 NHL players...i`m still elated that we got him, can`t believe it. Best thing that has happened to Toronto since W. Clark. He has something to prove and i`m sure he will do it. Can`t wait till they play T.B, stevy Y`s team.....i`m sure he would like to rock some of his players after yzerman excluded him from the olympic team.

Hey Beans, this guest bother you? One sentence it's "we", the next it's "they"? I can't figure out if he's on the team or not?

guest, if you don't understand, i'm just kidding.....you'll have to read the other post i'm referencing....
Guest2246 Posted - 09/01/2010 : 16:23:56
Phaneuf and Pronger are my favorite 2 NHL players...i`m still elated that we got him, can`t believe it. Best thing that has happened to Toronto since W. Clark. He has something to prove and i`m sure he will do it. Can`t wait till they play T.B, stevy Y`s team.....i`m sure he would like to rock some of his players after yzerman excluded him from the olympic team.
n/a Posted - 09/01/2010 : 14:02:32
If it's true, it's the kind of "lead by example" stuff that you want your leader to be doing, and it sets a tone. Everyone takes notice right away, and you know what the score is, and who will hold you accountable.

It's what was missing ever since Roberts left the dressing room . . . accountability. Sundin, for all his awesome skills and quiet leadership, didn't quite bring it to that level, I think.

Hopefully, it's a good sign of things to come, and not a fluff piece. Phaneuf is, after all, a good old french kid, and Leafs bias may have been tucked away in the article but the french angle never is in Quebec.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Leafs81 Posted - 09/01/2010 : 13:19:04
That's good to hear. I was really impressed with Phaneuf and with the team for the last few games they played with him. The whole atmosphere changed. They were playing to lose until he and Gigučre arrived.

I just hope he doesn't give a concussion to Kadri but it's good for him to learn his lesson now... there's some big hitters in the east (Volchenkov, Pronger, Lucic)

And hopefully this will wake up guys like Komisarek, Beauchemin and Schenn.
Guest9397 Posted - 09/01/2010 : 07:46:41
I saw the same article in the Sun (hard copy not on line) yesterday. I was really good I agree and actually got me a bit pumped (realistic optimizm of course) for the upcoming season

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page