Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Youngest PLayer to 200 points

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Novie Posted - 03/02/2007 : 18:18:11
Yup, guess who broke a Gretzky record......

Let's start the debate....I know some will start the 'overrated' chant, but I think this kid's for real!

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Novie Posted - 03/06/2007 : 05:30:16
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think my point is that these seem like weak records. Real records I feel are like fastest to 300 goals, fastest to 500 points, etc. I could care less how old the guy is.

And yes, I threw a shot at him with the shaving. Trust me; I would give up shaving for the rest of my life for one of his paychecks. I ain’t hating, it was just to solidify my point.

They do have those records, and I'm sure Gretz/Sid/Mario/Richard/etc. have them locked away somewhere.

As for the shaving, I'm jealous too...what a pain in the a$$!

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
PuckNuts Posted - 03/05/2007 : 06:38:10
I don't know why it would be called a record, it may be the first player to reach a certain milestone, but not really a record because for it to be a record all players should have a chance to beat it. There are many firsts for example Richard first to get 50 goals in a season, or 500 in a career, but they are not records, just first to a milestone...

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright, until they speak...
Mikhailova Posted - 03/04/2007 : 08:08:27
quote:
Originally posted by guinman

nevermind the rest of hockey's 'evolution'.

Survival of the fittest is literally true in hockey
guinman Posted - 03/03/2007 : 21:07:13
I think just about anybody save for say, God himself won't come very close to breaking Gretzky's point and goal records. Wayne is one of those rare players that usually only come along every 10 or 20 yrs, as is Crosby.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's doubtful that Crosby will be playing in the highest scoring era in NHL history. Nor will half the opponents D-core skate like Brad Marsh. Then there is the goalies. Take a gander back into the past on ESPN classic games at the likes of the goaltending prowess of the avg. 80's goaltender. Look at their over agressive technique, the one knee down leg kick which was the primary move for a tender when he leaves his feet(leaving lots of room for 5-hole, tips, etc.). The upright stance for poor lateral movement (because goalies we're taught not to expose the 5-hole in their stance). Both Sid and 99 use the back of the net a lot to make plays and scoring chances. Old school goalies down low technique was terrible especially plays developing from behing the net. today's goalies obviously are so much better and schooled in the proper techniques that have evolved since then. Goalies alone ensure 99's records are safe - nevermind the rest of hockey's 'evolution'.

I can guarantee anyone however that Crosby is much faster, stronger, and more talented than Gretzky at equivalent age. I'm not sure if Sid is smarter but I'd say they're close. The game has evolved to the point where the avg athlete is a finely conditioned machine as opposed to highly conditioned beer leaguer. The defensive systems and coaching is far superior as are the goalies as mentioned. Based on that, I'd say that winning a scoring title today by 20 points or so over the no. 2 guy would be just as significant as 99 winning by 50 points in his day. Make no mistake I'm not taking away from 99's accomplishments because he was a guy who evolved the game by himself. His greatness is definitely not in question to my mind. The trouble is that measuring today's game by 99's standards isn't a truly fair way to judge Sid's or anybody's greatness.

I've watched every game Sid's played at the NHL level. I can certainly assure anyone that he isn't 'overated'. Crosby has far exceeded my expectations of him at his young age. The guy is sic.
Beans15 Posted - 03/03/2007 : 12:51:51
I think my point is that these seem like weak records. Real records I feel are like fastest to 300 goals, fastest to 500 points, etc. I could care less how old the guy is. What if a player never started play hockey until they were in their mid-20 and they were a messiah? The second coming of Orr and Gretzky combined. If they got 200 points in their first season that feat would be much better than Crosby getting 200 in a season and 3/4. Who was the fastest (took the fewest games) to 200?? That is more of a measure to me.

That's my point. Some records have a merit and other don't. Some of Gretzky's don't hold a lot of merit and were created for him.

And yes, I threw a shot at him with the shaving. Trust me; I would give up shaving for the rest of my life for one of his paychecks. I ain’t hating, it was just to solidify my point.
Novie Posted - 03/03/2007 : 12:27:01
quote:

Was it a record before?? Although I am a huge Gretzky fan, there were a number of "records" that were created because of him.

Is that going to happen with Crosby?

Is he also now the first player to 200 points who doesn't have to shave?? Who's going to beat that record.

Beans, I usually think more of your posts, but come on....are you taking up the slack for IHC?

Records must be measurable....age is measurable. No, of course they're not going to announce him "Youngest to 201 Points" or anything like that. Last year he was the youngest to 100, but did not set the rookie record (Hawerchuk)...or was it the other way around? lol

They're not making these up, the records are there, they're just not talked about until someone comes close to them.

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
willus3 Posted - 03/03/2007 : 08:27:38
quote:

Was it a record before?? Although I am a huge Gretzky fan, there were a number of "records" that were created because of him.

Is he also now the first player to 200 points who doesn't have to shave?? Who's going to beat that record.

Great post Beans.
Beans15 Posted - 03/02/2007 : 22:57:02

Patchy Posted - 03/02/2007 : 21:42:34
Yea now it's pretty much proven that Sidney isn't overrated, he basically just set a record that won't be broken for a loongg time.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Beans15 Posted - 03/02/2007 : 20:23:31
Lonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggg, way to go for Sid the Kid to go.
semin-rules Posted - 03/02/2007 : 19:31:11
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Crosby fan

I think IHC ain't around because DYHSC got locked

Thats the only reason he joined the forums, just for that topic

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
1 Crosby fan Posted - 03/02/2007 : 19:17:18
I think IHC ain't around because DYHSC got locked
Mikhailova Posted - 03/02/2007 : 18:20:08
Well IHC hasn't been around lately so now's your chance

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page