Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Should there be two teams in TO?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lrocker Posted - 03/18/2007 : 07:01:13
Seriously, the only reason the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund doesn't need to worry about having a good team on the ice is hockey fan density. With two teams in TO, there would be choice for the fans, and owners would have to put a good team on the ice.

Am I correct

"Bye Bye!" John McLaughlin
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4390 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 07:39:08
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:
Originally posted by willus3

I'm as against expansion as much as anyone, however Toronto could easily support another team. The population of the GTA is over 5 million.

Heck, the population of Maryland is over 5 million. Do we get a second team other than Washington? No. California has a population of 30 million. Do they have 12 teams (going by two teams per 5 million people)? No. There's no good reason why Toronto should get an extra.

I hate the Leafs as much as anyone, but I have to disagree here. Toronto is probably the only market outside of LA and NY that can support more than one team. It is home to more hockey fans than anywhere else in the world, and it would be good for the NHL to move a team(Nashville perhaps) to such a strong hockey market. I know the Leafs fans think noone will ever leave the Leafs to cheer for another team, but moving a contender, in a poor hockey market, like Nashville, to a large, strong hockey market like Toronto, would result in a similar situation to the Mets and Yankees in NY. I agree that it would mean no other Canadian teams would get any media exposure ever again, but for the league, it would be a smart move.
Guest4390 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 07:34:03
quote:

quote:

I'm as against expansion as much as anyone, however Toronto could easily support another team. The population of the GTA is over 5 million.

Heck, the population of Maryland is over 5 million. Do we get a second team other than Washington? No. California has a population of 30 million. Do they have 12 teams (going by two teams per 5 million people)? No. There's no good reason why Toronto should get an extra.

T-RAV17 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 07:31:51
Everybody wants a team in Winnipeg so give it to Winnipeg! Winnipeg's a fair enough city to have an NHL team. Mario Lemieux, i have one thing to say to you..... why did you have to sign that deal for the Pens to stay? I was so angry when you did that. Just think...... The Winnipeg Jets with Crosby!

Go Sens!
T-RAV17 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 07:26:16
quote:

If they're gonna add another team, why put it in Toronto? They've got one already and it gets more than enough media attention. Canada's a big country, and there are more cities within it other than TO.

LISTEN TO ME BETTMAN and the NHL! PUT A TEAM IN WINNIPEG! JETS NEED A COMEBACK! I WAS SO EXCITED WHEN THE PENS WERE MIGHT HAVING TO MOVE. WINNIPEG IS CRAVING A TEAM!

Go Sens!
T-RAV17 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 07:24:02
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Wow, two teams in Toronto. Then they could change the name to Hockey Night in Toronto. You would never see another team on TV again.

HORRIBLE IDEA!!

You are truly right. How many Saturdays have we seen the Leafs play consecutavely? Count-em. No Surprise here. Plus if there were two Toronto teams, there would be double the hate for Toronto.

Go Sens!
Lrocker Posted - 03/23/2007 : 16:56:43
I posted his to bring up the real important point. It does not matter who is in charge in TO. They DO NOT CARE ABOUT HOCKEY!!!! Ballard DID NOT CARE. Team, SUCKED. OTPF Obviously DOES NOT CARE ABOUT HOCKEY. If the team was in any other city, the TO media (CBC, TSN, Sportsnet etc) would be asking if this is important, but since they are in TO, the media looks the other way.
The only guy to even raise this point, Grapes, mentioned it and no one followed up on the point. Ballard destroyed the team, but I think no one wants to bring up these points in the media, which is far worse. What is the media in TO afraid of?
Also, no one is mentioning another team in TO, even though there ARE lots of hockey fans there, which makes me wonder if the team is terrified of the question even being asked.
It's above Maurice, it's above JFjr, even though he's going to be tossed out within two years, it's the ownership.
P.S. Move the Leafs to Hamilton and see if the new team in Hamilton will be able to stop TO getting another team, wouldn't ever happen. Although a cup in Hamilton would be nice.

"Bye Bye!" John McLaughlin
manninm Posted - 03/23/2007 : 12:31:09
On second thought...I guess I wasn't taking a look at the big picture. I've always been a proponent of the reduction of teams in the NHL. Either that or move some of the teams in the south to markets better equipped to handle an NHL team. I mean, I suppose Carolina needs to stay after last year, and Tampa after their season in 04, but I can imagine it being a much more interesting, and more importantly economically viable league without a couple teams in the south. Florida is one I'd yank. I don't know if there's another.
jbraiter Posted - 03/22/2007 : 14:01:30
i think another team in winnipeg
Mikhailova Posted - 03/22/2007 : 14:00:01
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

Think about this...There is two teams in Pennsylvania

Yes but Pennsylvania is a state = much bigger. Toronto is a city, and giving two teams to just one city doesn't make much sense. 2+ teams in a state or province is OK, since they're larger in size and population, and the teams could be spread out so that people all over the state/province could have their own team or one close to their area. If this were about adding another team in Ontario, I'd have no problem with it.
PENSFAN8771 Posted - 03/22/2007 : 10:55:44
There's no way NHL ownership would ever allow another team to be in Toronto. Buffalo and Toronto owners were hard at work rallying the others in the fraternity to vote to block a move to Hamilton when Basillie was considering moving the Pens there. Current owners in the NHL look out for each other and can vote on where teams are and are not allowed to move/expand to. I would be rather surprised if Ontario ever got another team. In some ways, though, I agree with spreading teams out in Canada, but I really hate to see that number declining.
manninm Posted - 03/22/2007 : 06:05:42
You could probably put a team in Timmins and sell out every game. At any rate, another team in TO would MOST DEFINITELY survive, in fact flourish. You should see how many ppl come down from TO at Sabes games, willing to pay $150 a ticket for crappy upper bowl seats. Plus, especially nowadays, there's enough resentment of the Leafs in TO to build a fanbase.

Oh, but I'd love to see a team in Barrie. Don't think it will ever happen, but man you guys have some fans up there!
Novie Posted - 03/22/2007 : 05:49:11
Yeah, and the two teams could play each other 30 times (once every Saturday night), and Bob and Harry could each pick which team they'll root for...I mean...um...be completely unbiased while giving commentary for

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Canucks Man Posted - 03/21/2007 : 14:08:16
quote:
Originally posted by ED11

What does making the playoffs have to do with this??? Lets face facts. Toronto CAN hold another team. The Leafs not allowing it is a different story. And replacing the franchise??? Tctitans are you serious? Come on.

Nobodys saying toronto couldnt do it, there just saying it would be a stupid idea

CANUCKS RULE!!!
1 Crosby fan Posted - 03/21/2007 : 14:08:15
quote:

What does making the playoffs have to do with this??? Lets face facts. Toronto CAN hold another team. The Leafs not allowing it is a different story. And replacing the franchise??? Tctitans are you serious? Come on.

It has to do with everything every frachises goal is to make the playoffs and if one Toronto team can make what does the other one stands a chance
ED11 Posted - 03/21/2007 : 14:04:43
1 Crosby fan Posted - 03/21/2007 : 14:01:33
Let me put it this way if one can't make the playoffs what makes you think the other one can
tctitans Posted - 03/21/2007 : 01:29:27
This is an impossibility anyways... no matter if we like or hate it.

The Leafs, and the league, would never allow it.

Heck, the Leafs wouldnt even allow a team in Hamilton.
tctitans Posted - 03/21/2007 : 01:01:09
Gawwwwd no.

Perhaps just replace the Leafs with a new franchise.
ED11 Posted - 03/21/2007 : 00:23:41
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

quote:

Toronto could EASILY support another team and I don't see it as such a bad idea as everyone is making it out to be. I would love to see teams everywhere in Canada. Other places in Canada maybe a risk though. If you put another team in Toronto there would be NO problem in getting a sell out crowd every game. I live in Toronto and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get Leaf tickets. People would watch the other team purely based on that reason. Sure the fans would just be Leaf fans who can't get Leafs tickets but I don't see that as a big issue. The NHL needs another team that will sell out no matter if the team is first or last.

Good idea.

Im sure the NHL wouldnt put a team in a city that couldnt hold it, and i really dont think any of the canadian citys being rumered as possible locations couldnt hold a team

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Ok, all I meant by that is that putting a team in Toronto isn't a risk at all. The second team would sell out no matter what. Even if the people going to the games are really just Leaf fans who can't get tickets to Leaf games. That wouldn't matter to the NHL because they need another team that can sell out every game basically no matter what.

I would like to see another team in the east though.
willus3 Posted - 03/20/2007 : 15:55:22
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kashmire

They are also pretty hockey crazy there.

They're hockey crazy everywhere in Canada...

PS Willus, I know you said they shouldn't have a second TO team, I was just expanding on why they shouldn't using your 5 million population stat.

For Canada it's fairly safe to go by population as a basis for whether a team can be supported because such a large percentage of the population are hockey fans. It doesn't work that way in the states. A lot of the expansion teams are proof of that. There are countless American cities with around a population of 1 million that would never be able to support a team like Calgary and Edmonton do. Of course it also depends on corporate support from businesses in the city.
1 Crosby fan Posted - 03/20/2007 : 15:42:31
quote:

quote:

yep we Canadians love are hockey Eh
Mikhailova Posted - 03/20/2007 : 13:57:29
quote:

PS Willus, I know you said they shouldn't have a second TO team, I was just expanding on why they shouldn't using your 5 million population stat.
semin-rules Posted - 03/20/2007 : 13:25:46
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6125

Winnipeg had a team and does not deserve another chance.
NY has 3 teams but drawing <10,000 fans in NJ, and on the island is less then impressive.

And why don't we deserve it?

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Guest6125 Posted - 03/20/2007 : 02:22:05
Winnipeg had a team and does not deserve another chance.
NY has 3 teams but drawing <10,000 fans in NJ, and on the island is less then impressive.
Canucks Man Posted - 03/20/2007 : 00:04:48
quote:

Toronto could EASILY support another team and I don't see it as such a bad idea as everyone is making it out to be. I would love to see teams everywhere in Canada. Other places in Canada maybe a risk though. If you put another team in Toronto there would be NO problem in getting a sell out crowd every game. I live in Toronto and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get Leaf tickets. People would watch the other team purely based on that reason. Sure the fans would just be Leaf fans who can't get Leafs tickets but I don't see that as a big issue. The NHL needs another team that will sell out no matter if the team is first or last.

Good idea.

Im sure the NHL wouldnt put a team in a city that couldnt hold it, and i really dont think any of the canadian citys being rumered as possible locations couldnt hold a team

CANUCKS RULE!!!
ED11 Posted - 03/19/2007 : 23:48:04

Good idea.
PuckNuts Posted - 03/19/2007 : 19:13:41
Not if PHILADELPHIA keeps playing the way they are. They go through goalies like a baby through diapers, Biron I wish you the best...you seem to have helped the team, but don't let a weak one get through, or your outa there...

I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy…
willus3 Posted - 03/19/2007 : 19:13:33
quote:

quote:

I didn't say they should, I said they could. I also said I'm against expansion.
semin-rules Posted - 03/19/2007 : 19:01:16
Think about this...There is two teams in Pennsylvania

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
PuckNuts Posted - 03/19/2007 : 18:59:34
Have the Barrie Colts been sold out for the past 5 seasons like the London Knights...We have 9,000+ at every game for five seasons, I think we could put 18,000+ if we had the arena for an NHL team...One day we might...

Kashmire Posted - 03/19/2007 : 18:37:06
I think Barrie Ontario is a great location for a new team. Last census showed it's the most growing area in CANADA! They are also pretty hockey crazy there.
Mikhailova Posted - 03/19/2007 : 17:46:48
Exactly. The population of Canada is 32 million, the population of the US is 280 million. If they added a team (or multiple teams) to every city/state/province that could support them the NHL would have hundreds of teams, which obviously makes no sense.
PuckNuts Posted - 03/19/2007 : 17:38:56
Many areas of both Countries could support an NHL team...but do you really want to see me skating down the wing...it would be so watered down if we add more teams...30 is plenty for the next 15-20 years, that way I will be to old to play...Okay I am too old now...

Mikhailova Posted - 03/19/2007 : 17:26:29
quote:

willus3 Posted - 03/19/2007 : 17:16:08
I'm as against expansion as much as anyone, however Toronto could easily support another team. The population of the GTA is over 5 million. New York does it. There's no reason Toronto couldn't.
I think you're right about the fact that it would force the Leafs to do a better job of managing their team. It's ridiculous that they were perennial "also rans" with the amount of money that was available all those years. Very poor management.
As for all those who want a team somewhere else in Canada first, keep dreaming. With the possible exception of Hamilton, there isn't another market viable enough to sustain a team.
Beans15 Posted - 03/19/2007 : 16:44:04
There isn't a city in Canada today that doesn't all ready have a team that could handle a team today. It more than population, it's corporate support as well. Not Winnipeg, not a team in the Atlantic, not one out West. What you see is what you are going to get.

Besides, why water down the league with more teams?? It has taken for ever since the "expansion crazy" in the 90's to get most teams competative.
PainTrain Posted - 03/19/2007 : 16:39:21
I dont think New Brunswick has enough population to carry a team.
Buddyno2000 Posted - 03/19/2007 : 09:06:07
C'mon Guys they should put a team in New Brunswick If it is that easy to get a team. about the two teams in toronto was that real talk or you were just saying.

Go leafs Go by the way
The_only_Odelein_fan Posted - 03/18/2007 : 21:24:11
Who wants two loser teams in Toronto? Not me!

Lyle Odelein is a god!
PainTrain Posted - 03/18/2007 : 20:04:41
I already hate watching the leafs play on HNIC i don't want to see two of them but winni should get a team back .

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page