Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The player to start a team

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PainTrain Posted - 03/18/2007 : 16:16:37
Tell me, if you were starting your own team and you can get one player to start off with, who would it be?

Mine would be Joe Sakic, yeah hes got maybe 3 years left but he'll teach the young players what to do before a game and he makes the people around him leaders Ex. Peter Forsberg was captain for the Flyers Adam Foote is the captain for the Columbus Blue Jackets all of those players played with Joe. I would start my team off with Joe Sakic.

40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Saku Steen Posted - 03/25/2007 : 11:26:57
quote:
Originally posted by oil fan97

Martin Brodeur and Crosby Malkin Staal Lidstrom Gonchar my lineup

Oilers Rule!!!

I think they were asking for 1 player
oil fan97 Posted - 03/25/2007 : 11:12:02
Martin Brodeur and Crosby Malkin Staal Lidstrom Gonchar my lineup

Oilers Rule!!!
manninm Posted - 03/23/2007 : 12:39:01
Some very interesting choices up there so far. It presents another question...do you pick a playmaker, someone that can take the game to another team and lead you to victory? Or do you take a goaltender, someone who can change the course of a game and win it for you? Personally, I think either argument is viable. Crosby's a no brainer choice for sure. Kid's already a gamebreaker at 19. Luongo's another choice. He's still young as well. You could throw a whole bunch of others in. Ryan Miller, Dion Phaneuf, Malkin, Staal (any one of the 4), Iginla...they all fit the bill of young stars ready to make an impact. You could also go with a vet, like Sakic, Forsberg, Brodeur...someone that's been there to teach show your youngins the ropes.

Personally, I'd start with a goalie, a Ryan Miller, a Roberto Luongo, a Pete Peeters...sorry, just kidding. Build your franchise around your most important player. Altho, I wouldn't mind having Crosby on my team, either.
Beans15 Posted - 03/23/2007 : 12:29:49
I have nothing against Crosby as a player. I think he has loads of talent and still untapped potential. I know Wayne won't be mad if I give props to Sid!!!!! However, I have seen countless players dubbed as "The Next One" in the past 10-15 years. Crosby has done amazing things for his short career, but that is the key. Short career. He more than likely will prove to everyone that he is a special talent to be heralded as one of the best ever, but that does not happen after 2 years in the league. But no one know is he falls on his face next year. Maybe he gets some saucy little tart knocked up and it messes up his whole head. No one knows if he will get rocked by a cheap shot punch from Tootoo that will end his career. I still this he COULD be the next one, but that will take 15+ years to prove. Lots can happen in that period of time.

And you are right, 7 years more maturity for Lecavalier is a big deal to me if I am building a team. If you were to ask me this same question 3-5 years from now, and Crosby was still being as successful, my answer would more than likely be different.

But it is today, and that is why I wouldn't take Crosby. It would be Lecavalier or Thorton. Iginla is in that group as well, but I think that Lecavalier and Thorton are better players.

And I do agree that the team was built around Sid. I don't think that he has improved compared to last year as much as the team around him has improved. Their is no question that Pitt is building around Crosby, but the success of the team is not hinged on Crosby, as stated, no one player can take a team to the promised land. I did not critize Sid for missing the playoffs last year. My point was the team around him improved, which in turn helped his stats improve and the team win more games.

And at the end of the day, Lecavalier may have had 28 points his first year. But he also has something that Crosby, Thorton, and Iginla do not have.

His name is etched onto Lord Stanley's Mug. That is why I put him ahead of those other players. He has been there and won. They haven't.

If I am building a team today, give me Vinny Lecavalier.
PENSFAN8771 Posted - 03/23/2007 : 12:04:27
Beans,
Do you disagree thought that the current Pens team is built around Crosby or that the Penguins building up after losing for several seasons has been successful thus far?

I don't think any one player makes a team. Certainly the penguins have brought in players that help with Crosby's weakness and placed players around him to make him successful. He has been a good player to build around.
willus3 Posted - 03/23/2007 : 12:01:15
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think some of the opinions about Pittsburgh's success are skued. Looking at the team, last year they missed the play-offs with a very talented Sid the Kid. However this year, with getting Staal and Malkin, and having Recchi healthy and Fluery playing to form with Roberts as a trade deadline pick up, they are looking like a force. Sid needs those players to be successful. He has a definate impact, but he is not the only reason they are where they are.

And Pittsburgh had a losing team for how many years?? Then they get the phenom and their attendance goes up. Of course it does. That would happen to any team that lost for years and then picked it up. Look at Edmonton. Before the play-off run last year, you could walk up and get a decent ticket for most games. This year, they have been sold out as soon as they are release to the public.

I still say Lecavalier as he might not be as flashy as Crosby but he is, in my opinion, a better all around player. Better defensively and has matured where Crosby has not. And he is still young. Thorton is in that same catagory.

Beans, this is just an observation on my part, You seem quite threatened by Crosby. Or at least very resistant to giving him any kind of credit. I don't think you have to worry, Gretzky won't feel betrayed if you do give Crosby some credit..
I guess you just want to err on the side of caution?
You say Lecavalier has matured where Crosby has not. Well he is 7 years older. By the way Vinny had 28 points in his first season and his best point total until this season was 78.
It's also pretty unfair to ctritsize Crosby for the Penguins missing the playoffs. No one player can carry a team. NO ONE. You have to have some talent around you.
If it's an all around player you want to build around, it's Iginla like i said earlier in this thread. And he's the perfect age right now. Old enough that he has matured and young enough to have all his skills intact.
Beans15 Posted - 03/23/2007 : 10:58:52
I think some of the opinions about Pittsburgh's success are skued. Looking at the team, last year they missed the play-offs with a very talented Sid the Kid. However this year, with getting Staal and Malkin, and having Recchi healthy and Fluery playing to form with Roberts as a trade deadline pick up, they are looking like a force. Sid needs those players to be successful. He has a definate impact, but he is not the only reason they are where they are.

And Pittsburgh had a losing team for how many years?? Then they get the phenom and their attendance goes up. Of course it does. That would happen to any team that lost for years and then picked it up. Look at Edmonton. Before the play-off run last year, you could walk up and get a decent ticket for most games. This year, they have been sold out as soon as they are release to the public.

I still say Lecavalier as he might not be as flashy as Crosby but he is, in my opinion, a better all around player. Better defensively and has matured where Crosby has not. And he is still young. Thorton is in that same catagory.

PENSFAN8771 Posted - 03/23/2007 : 10:29:21
I can understand the goaltending argument on the pure hockey side of things, but from the business side, good goaltending won't bring out the masses and put people in seats (NJD). And while seasoned veterans may be good players to build around, they may not be around for the better years for a team. I think a young, explosive player, like Crosby would be ideal. While I wouldn't say the Penguins were starting from scratch last year, they were coming out of the lockout with an always questionably healthy Lemieux and this young phenom. Last year they saw the largest increase in attendence in the league and this year are selling out consistently. People in the seats (and eating food and buying jerseys) brings in revenue and sponsors to pay players. Excitement, not just wins are how to build a team. Young players that represent a team and are fun to watch bring out fans. I would also probably pick a North American native because that's where most players are still coming from and if you are truly building a team around someone, they should be able to linguistically and culturally relate to teammates (though Ovechkin does have pretty flawless English). So, yes, I do think Crosby is a logical choice (and yes, I know I'm biased), more logical than a goalie or Ovechkin. Lecavalier isn't a bad choice either, but he hasn't been nearly as explosive in past seasons and St. Louis helps a lot with his explosive ability, so since this is about one player, I wouldn't choose him (he's always been good, but this is a career season for sure). So no more hating on Crosby. He puts butts in seats and makes players around him better and I feel he is the most logical choice. People in Pittsburgh don't talk about his whining or decide to not go see him play because he whines. He will be a leader in years to come and will be a consistent perfomer. Even the haters know this to be true.
BigShow Posted - 03/23/2007 : 06:29:56
I'd start with Lecavalier. Good leader, never takes a night off, just stepping into his prime. Big point earner, but very team oriented.
Novie Posted - 03/23/2007 : 05:12:33
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

It would have to be Alexander Ovechkin. He isn't as whiney as Crosby, is a future asset and makes players around him better.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!

2 of your 3 arguments are completely off....

Crosby isn't a future asset? He doesn't have 70 assists this year?

Looks ilke Leafs bias applies to Crosby as well

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Mikhailova Posted - 03/22/2007 : 17:18:34
Of course, for the Europeans in the league, they'd have to switch it since they write their dates backwards; they'd write it as 7/8/87.

Anyway...
As some here have said, starting a team around a goalie is a smart idea, and if I were to pick a goalie to start a team I would go with either Luongo or Brodeur. The Canucks and the Devils wouldn't be doing quite as well without them; if you want to boost your spot in the standings, get a good goalie.
bablaboushka Posted - 03/22/2007 : 17:13:14
Yeah, his b-day is pretty easy to remember: 8/7/87

No it's not a coincidence.
Mikhailova Posted - 03/22/2007 : 17:01:10
He's 19. He turns 20 on August 7
Guest7085 Posted - 03/22/2007 : 16:34:58
i would take Crosby

He is amazing and he
is only 20
Beans15 Posted - 03/19/2007 : 16:45:52
I would build off of J. Thorton or V. Lecavalier.

Young, good leaders, loads of talent. Iginla is in the same class, but older that Thorton or Vinny.
willus3 Posted - 03/19/2007 : 16:29:29
I would go with Iginla I think. He can do everything and he's a natural leader.
PainTrain Posted - 03/19/2007 : 16:16:33
If you could can you say why you would take him just curiosity.
Guest2647 Posted - 03/19/2007 : 09:57:12
crosby, crosby, crosby
Buddyno2000 Posted - 03/19/2007 : 08:56:04
Id pick Crosby and then I would trade him for a couple of draft for a neir future lol

Go leafs Go by the way.

because lets face It I dont have time to manage a team right now maybee in a couple of years lol
1 Crosby fan Posted - 03/18/2007 : 23:31:38
Sidney Crosby

P.S-Congrat CM on 500 post and PainTrain on 100
Canucks Man Posted - 03/18/2007 : 23:22:52
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

I oh and what you said about sakic making people leaders I agree with but you saying "All of those player" makes no sense because you only named two.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Yeah it would make sense to say just those two.

I was just saying that "ALL THOSE" makes no sense because it should be "those two" cause there not alot of players. Personnally i feel all those players were leaders regardless of weather they played with sakic, i think that having all those great leaders around sakic made him a better leader.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
PainTrain Posted - 03/18/2007 : 19:51:13
Chris Drury and Mats Sundin totally forgot about them another great reason why i would start my team off with Joe.
bablaboushka Posted - 03/18/2007 : 19:47:56
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

quote:

I oh and what you said about sakic making people leaders I agree with but you saying "All of those player" makes no sense because you only named two.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Well here, add Chris Drury (C in Buffalo) and Mats Sundin (C in Toronto) to that list.
PainTrain Posted - 03/18/2007 : 19:42:34
quote:

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Guest0920 Posted - 03/18/2007 : 19:05:02
I'd pick sidney crosby. Why not? 2 amazing seasons, brings fans to every game, he'll be around for awhle, and a natural leader on the ice, and he'll grow to one off the ice
Patchy Posted - 03/18/2007 : 18:53:24
Mats Sundin.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
jbraiter Posted - 03/18/2007 : 17:13:06
easily roberto luongo he is a game saver
Kashmire Posted - 03/18/2007 : 17:05:57
Scott Niedermayer. He would be my ideal choice. He is a great leader I'm sure. He can help offensively and defensively while leading a play or saving a game. I would want Yzerman more but he's retired.
-oil-country- Posted - 03/18/2007 : 17:01:24
quote:
Originally posted by Saku Steen

I would choose Dion Phaneuf because you need a solid defencemen.

Not to say Phaneuf is bad but aren't there more solid D-Men than him?
-oil-country- Posted - 03/18/2007 : 17:00:38
I agree with Babs, I would also pick Joe Thornton because in my mind he is the best playmaker in the game and makes everyone around him better, He is also a big body and is probably one of the hardest players to know off the puck he can also take a check and doesn't whine about it like Crosby and he is a good leader.
Saku Steen Posted - 03/18/2007 : 16:57:03
I would choose Dion Phaneuf because you need a solid defencemen.
leigh Posted - 03/18/2007 : 16:47:05
quote:
...Very Good point, I stand by my picking a goalie first but if i wasnt allowed those two would be high on my list
500 POSTS FOR ME!!...

Way to go buddy!
leigh Posted - 03/18/2007 : 16:45:31
Good topic Pain Train.

I'd start in net. Championships are usually won by the goaltender. Luongo would have to be my guy. After all look at how he has single handedly carried the Canucks this year. He's been rock solid for 6 years and gets better all the time. Plus he has 7-10 good years left.

From there I would pick up a power forward, Joe Thornton, Jerome Iginla or Dany Heatley.

Then go for 2 way D-man who is in his prime - Chris Pronger probably.

I know you were looking for only 1 player, but I couldn't help but get carried away.
Canucks Man Posted - 03/18/2007 : 16:42:28
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Either Joe Sakic or Vincent Lecavalier. Nope, not Crosby. I need someone who's been consistent for years and has proven themself for more than ~2 seasons.

Very Good point, I stand by my picking a goalie first but if i wasnt allowed those two would be high on my list
500 POSTS FOR ME!!

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Mikhailova Posted - 03/18/2007 : 16:37:21
Either Joe Sakic or Vincent Lecavalier. Nope, not Crosby. I need someone who's been consistent for years and has proven themself for more than ~2 seasons.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 03/18/2007 : 16:36:06
It would have to be Alexander Ovechkin. He isn't as whiney as Crosby, is a future asset and makes players around him better.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Canucks Man Posted - 03/18/2007 : 16:24:09
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

I would say....Crosby Just Kidding.

I would pick Stevie Yzerman

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~

Im pretty sure hes asking for a current player

CANUCKS RULE!!!
semin-rules Posted - 03/18/2007 : 16:22:40
I would say....Crosby Just Kidding.

I would pick Stevie Yzerman

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
bablaboushka Posted - 03/18/2007 : 16:20:34
You know 3/4 of people that will post in here will say Crosby...

Joe Thornton for me.
Canucks Man Posted - 03/18/2007 : 16:20:05
I would start my team with either Roberto Luongo or Martin Broduer, oh and what you said about sakic making people leaders I agree with but you saying "All of those player" makes no sense because you only named two.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page