Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Hockey Night stays on CBC

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ultimatetitman Posted - 03/26/2007 : 13:10:58
From Yahoo Sports

TORONTO (AP) -- Hockey Night in Canada will remain on the CBC through 2014, with the broadcaster and NHL agreeing to a six-year contract extension on Monday.

The CBC will maintain exclusive Canadian coverage of NHL games on Saturday nights.

The deal, which includes national English-language broadcast and multimedia rights to NHL games in Canada, begins when the current agreement expires after the 2007-08 season.

The network also retains coverage of the All-Star game, Canadian teams in the playoffs and the Stanley Cup final. Hockey Night in Canada is in its 54th season.

Damn. I was really hoping that the CBC (TBC?) would lose it, based on their blatant and obvious Toronto bias. A little bias is fine, but not when the money funding the station comes from tax payers from every corner of the country!
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest2897 Posted - 03/28/2007 : 13:20:37
I think we have to consider that CBC is a business. They have done studies over the years that show which games get the most viewers. I hate to say it being a Canucks fan, but I know very well that there are more viewers total across Canada that watch the Leafs games but would not watch others. From a business standpoint, it makes sense to continue showing the Leafs. Having said that I am thankful I work until 6 pm pacific time on Saturdays so that I am not stuck watching them week in and week out. The only time I ever watch the Leafs is when I want to see them get spanked. Consequently, that is every game they play against the Canucks :) Thankfully for Vancouver viewers, that is only twice every three years.

Having said that, there are still some viewers including myself who feel ripped off as a result
dummy101 Posted - 03/28/2007 : 12:10:10
If you have sattelite with all the time zones covered on saturday I think you get all cbc feeds.I don't think there are blackout's.As far as the NHL net and others,if the team in your region is on all others are bo's.The only answer is CI and Bell even screwed that up last week and I could not get the Pitt,Ott game.I could have bought it off Sen ppv,for $10 or $12,which I should not have had access too.Bell must be operated by the stupidest people in the world!!
Lrocker Posted - 03/28/2007 : 09:45:25
I live in Calgary.

On thursday february 22nd this game was played:

FINAL SO 1 2 3 OT SO T
Ottawa 2 1 2 0 0 (0-4) 5
Buffalo 1 3 1 0 1 (1-4) 6
Recap 300K|700K

OTT: ALFREDSSON, D. (PPG, 11:01 in 1st), HEATLEY, D. (12:53 in 1st), HEATLEY, D. (PPG, 08:09 in 2nd), SPEZZA, J. (PPG, 06:22 in 3rd), FISHER, M. (08:58 in 3rd)
BUF: DRURY, C. (17:43 in 1st), VANEK, T. (PPG, 03:09 in 2nd), VANEK, T. (03:48 in 2nd), MACARTHUR, C. (18:23 in 2nd), KALININ, D. (03:21 in 3rd)

Everyone remembers, right? Emery fought Andrew Peters after fighting Biron. Fans were looking forward to the return engagement. Even in Calgary, CANADA.

But the CBC decided that the CBC's CANADA includes Philly. At least for everyone outside of Ottawa. Will this change? Will Leaf games from outside of Canada not be broadcast across the country, in favour of a game IN Canada?

Next, how the playoffs are affected. Hmm, let's see. The CBC gets to pick the first two series to broadcast. Right now, Ottawa, Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary are in the playoffs. If the playoffs started today, which three of these series would be on the CBC.

Finally this:

"Also, a multimedia package including live and on-demand video streaming of all CBC's hockey broadcasts will be available online at CBC.ca in the near future."

In the near future? They do not already have it?

"Bye Bye!" John McLaughlin
bablaboushka Posted - 03/28/2007 : 09:38:18
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

It really doesn't matter what the other stations show. Who cares?? No one except CBC can show a game on Saturday Night. So you are forced into Toronto

In Canada... But if you get American feeds...
juice32 Posted - 03/28/2007 : 08:43:58

I grew up in Atlantic Canada where we get to watch the Leafs every Saturday night on CBC. CBC is one of the main reasons I love the Leafs

Thanks CBC...............I guess!!!
Beans15 Posted - 03/28/2007 : 07:11:05
It really doesn't matter what the other stations show. Who cares?? No one except CBC can show a game on Saturday Night. So you are forced into Toronto
Novie Posted - 03/27/2007 : 16:02:06
I read in the National Post this morning: apparently the contract will sort out the imbalances in the TV schedule. THANK GOD

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
bablaboushka Posted - 03/27/2007 : 15:36:35
quote:
Originally posted by Novie

Greatest thing ever invented: Shaw Cable.

For only $5.99 a month, I get a coast-to-coast package which includes the Canadian networks in different markets...meaning CBC Ottawa!

Greatest money ever spent

As soon as I move out I will be purchasing digital cable and then channels like the NHL Network, Fox Sportsnet, Versus, etc. They broadcast games from all over Canada and the US and this way I might actually get to watch some Sharks games. Not to mention more games with Minnesota, Atlanta, TB, Colorado, Detroit, etc. I am sick of Leafs' games and I don't care how much it costs, it's going into the budget!
leafsfan_101 Posted - 03/27/2007 : 14:51:03
I don't understand why they can't have diffrent programing for diffrent regions. For example, Toronto region gets the Leafs game, while Ottawa gets theirs and Montreal theirs ect. And for example, if some people in the Ottawa region want to watch the Leafs game, then on CBC.ca they have something where you can pay, lets say $5.00, and watch all of the games on CBC in each region.

Wouldn't that solve everything better then voting. If we vote some part of Canada is gonna get the short end of the stick.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
ultimatetitman Posted - 03/27/2007 : 14:03:27
Great idea Beans! Certainly the technology exists, but the problem is that the HQ for CBC is in Toronto, and they certainly don't want to watch anyone else.
But seriously, if Toronto was playing, say, Columbus, and the second option was Ottawa vs Buffalo, or Montreal against Pittsburgh, I would think that the majority of Canadians - again, the ones who pay the CBC their salary - would choose the second option.
But with the CBC, the majority does not rule. It's like a little TV dictatorship.
Novie Posted - 03/27/2007 : 04:56:40
Greatest thing ever invented: Shaw Cable.

For only $5.99 a month, I get a coast-to-coast package which includes the Canadian networks in different markets...meaning CBC Ottawa!

Greatest money ever spent

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Saku Steen Posted - 03/27/2007 : 03:37:48
quote:
Originally posted by Buddyno2000

one of the main reason why you see that much Leafs game on CBC is probably because Sports Net show some ottawa, RDS show every Habs games''well thats for us here in Atlantic Canada I don't know about other region'' and then after the Leafs game they go in the west to show eiter the Flames, the Nucks ou the oil . so thats why ''I think'' they show more leafs in the early games cause we can see Sens and Habs on other channel.

Go leafs Go by the way

But who wants to watch Montreal in all french?
Buddyno2000 Posted - 03/26/2007 : 20:54:11
one of the main reason why you see that much Leafs game on CBC is probably because Sports Net show some ottawa, RDS show every Habs games''well thats for us here in Atlantic Canada I don't know about other region'' and then after the Leafs game they go in the west to show eiter the Flames, the Nucks ou the oil . so thats why ''I think'' they show more leafs in the early games cause we can see Sens and Habs on other channel.

Go leafs Go by the way
PainTrain Posted - 03/26/2007 : 20:33:13
Yeah i would love to see Ottawa play more and have a choice with what i watch, yes i do love to watch my sabres spank the leafs but they don't play every week. I agree with Beans by making the fans have a choice to what they watch. Next year i'm getting center ice gonna be awsome!!!!!
Beans15 Posted - 03/26/2007 : 16:00:21
I hear ya Mik. It's just that I have been forced by CBC to watch Toronto every Saturday night for the past 20 years or watch no hockey at all. Toronto vs. any team is a crap game to me.
Mikhailova Posted - 03/26/2007 : 15:43:33
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

But I was forced to endure watching the Leafs get spanked by Buffalo, or some other crap like that.

That ain't crap!
Beans15 Posted - 03/26/2007 : 15:40:55
I still think it would be good for them to look more market based. Guaranteed they have cameras in the stadiums other than Toronto. Why not give the people a chance to vote on what game they want. There were times this year when Ottawa was playing Montreal,for example, which I would love to watch. But I was forced to endure watching the Leafs get spanked by Buffalo, or some other crap like that. Same thing out West. I am sure there are times when the East would prefer to watch Vancouver over Calgary and/or Edmonton. Give the people a choice!

Saku Steen Posted - 03/26/2007 : 13:21:02
Hockey Night In Canada is a great show but really needs to start showing more games.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page