Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Let's see your math skills!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Novie Posted - 03/29/2007 : 14:44:15
I posted this in the Ovechkin Sophmore Slump topic, but thought we could bring up some other interesting numbers....here are some Art Ross trophy winners, and the percentage of their team's goals they were a part of.

(so far this year:)
Sidney 113 points : Pittsburgh goals 263 = 43%
Ovie 87 points : Washington goals 227 = 38%

Gretzky '85-'86 215 points : Edmonton goals 426 = 50%

Lemieux '88-'89 199 points : Pittsburgh goals 347 = 57%

Dionne '79-'80 137 points : LA goals 290 = 47%

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PENSFAN8771 Posted - 03/30/2007 : 06:16:36
The part that jumps of the page to me is the team point totals. Buffalo is the only team with a good chance to reach 300 for the season and Chicago may not reach 200. I think the days with a 200 point scorer are gone. Even if a player were to be better than Gretzky, he won't make it to his 215 mark. This may make Gretzky's records untouchable.
Novie Posted - 03/30/2007 : 05:18:44
It was also in defense of the statement: Crosby's 113 pts would be mediocre in the 80's...

of course it would be....they scored 12 a game!

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Novie Posted - 03/30/2007 : 05:07:26
I was using it more as comparing point totals to goal scoring eras...like how they would fill the net in the 80's makes Gretz's 215 a 'little' bit less impressive, since the team scored over 400 goals. With the exception of Ovie, and possibly Sid, these are Art Ross winners of a couple different eras, not neccessarily MVP's, but that argument could be made as well.

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
tctitans Posted - 03/29/2007 : 14:51:14
This is interesting, but can you please clarify which point you are trying to make? I'm serious (not taking any shots), because there are a number of interpretations and I think only a few are valid.

It makes sense to say that the higher the % of goals you are involved with, make one that much more important to their respective team and hence MVP type supporting data. It certainly supports a claim of how valuable a player is to their team, but on the other hand, it cannot be used to compare how good players are from different teams.

Just a clarification... ;)

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page