Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Where the teams get their names

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mikhailova Posted - 04/06/2007 : 19:43:08
Thought this might be interesting. I don't know the origin of all the team names, but these are the ones I do know. Some I know for sure, others I'm not 100% sure on but they're my best guess.

Atlanta Thrashers: The bird on the jerseys is the brown thrasher, Georgia's state bird
Carolina Hurricanes: Although North Carolina is not as famous as Florida for being a hurricane magnet, it does get chewed up every now and then by the storms.
Chicago Blackhawks: The Indian logo comes from the fact that there were lots of Indians in Illinois (the state was named for the Illini tribe), and several towns with Indian names.
Colorado Avalanche: It snows a lot in Colorado, and in the mountains there can be avalanches
Columbus Blue Jackets: The 'blue jackets' refer to the blue uniforms that the Ohio soldiers wore in the Civil War, fighting for the Union. They also have some sort of bug wearing a Civil War cap as their mascot, probably getting the idea from yellow jackets.
Dallas Stars: New name for the Minnesota North Stars, who moved to Dallas
Edmonton Oilers: Named for the large oil industry up in Edmonton
Florida Panthers: There's a rare species of panther that lives only in southern Florida, called the Florida panther, hence the name
Minnesota Wild: Minnesota is known for its diversity in wildlife, with both plants and animals. In the forests you can find bears, raccoons, deer, and, as the university mascots suggests, probably gophers too.
Montreal Canadiens: Canadien = Canadian in French, they speak French in Montreal, so voila...
New York Islanders: Well the team represents Long ISLAND so...
Ottawa Senators: Ottawa's the capital of Canada, senators meet there, hence the name
Phoenix Coyotes: There are lots of coyotes in the Phoenix desert, so there you go...
Quebec Nordiques: Canada is up north, nordique = nordic, or northern in French, which is spoken in Quebec
San Jose Sharks: There are great white sharks off the coast of California, and SJ got to have this mascot because the other teams were already named
St. Louis Blues: This is the one that puzzles me. Blues music is popular in New Orleans and that area, not Missouri.
Tampa Bay Lightning: In summer there are thunderstorms just about every day in Florida, so TB got this mascot since the 'Florida' team was the Panthers
Toronto Maple Leafs: The maple leaf is Canada's symbol, that's obvious, but the blue and white colors come from the University of Toronto, whose colors are blue and white, and TO's sports teams always wore blue and white, so the Leafs did too
Vancouver Canucks: Canuck = someone from Canada. The whale? Because whales are found off the coast of Vancouver while migrating or during mating season
Washington Capitals: Washington DC is the US capital = self-explanatory

Feel free to correct any or add more
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GOWINGS19 Posted - 05/06/2007 : 20:34:12
well at least some teams names can actually relate to the teams surrounding area

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
hithere311 Posted - 05/06/2007 : 01:11:38
In the Canadian parliment are MPs. In the house of Senate, there are Senators, so yes, Canada has sentators.
GOWINGS19 Posted - 05/01/2007 : 12:50:20
quote:
Originally posted by manninm

I believe Habs is short for Les Habitants....I don't know where the Les Habitants comes from though...maybe having to do with French-Canadian history

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden

just to go along with what you said manninm good ol wikipedia to the rescue
"The franchise is officially known as Le Club de Hockey Canadien, but they are usually referred to as "Les Canadiens de Montréal" and their English name. Other French nicknames for the team include Le Canadien, Le Bleu-Blanc-Rouge, La Sainte-Flanelle, Le Tricolore, Les Glorieux, Les Habitants and Le Grand Club. In English, the main nickname is the Habs (coming from "Les Habitants")." nice work man

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was a one hundred percent effort that you gave - win or lose. -Gordie Howe
PuckNuts Posted - 05/01/2007 : 10:29:21
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9930

Actually, they aren't called Senators in Canada. They're MP's so that's not where the Ottawa Senators name comes from.

Frank Mahovlich was appointed to the Canadian Senate by Prime Minister Jean Chretien, that makes him a Canadian Senator...

The Senate and the House of Commons sit in separate chambers on Parliament Hill, which is located in Ottawa, Ontario.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
Guest2628 Posted - 05/01/2007 : 07:48:28
A Short Blues History:

The blues form was first popularized about 1911-14 by the black composer W.C. Handy (1873-1958). However, the poetic and musical form of the blues first crystallized around 1910 and gained popularity through the publication of Handy's "Memphis Blues" (1912) and "St. Louis Blues" (1914). http://www.history-of-rock.com/blues.htm

So that is probably the origin of the St.Louis Blues' name.
Saku Steen Posted - 05/01/2007 : 07:41:33
quote:
Originally posted by Kashmire

You're right manninm. Montreal is along the St. Lawrence River. The French habitants settled along the river in Montreal. They are "The Habs" because of that if I remember correctly. Maybe Babs or Willus can correct me if I'm incorrect.( I remember babs saying he's french canadian)

Ah, makes sense, thanks!
Guest9930 Posted - 05/01/2007 : 07:16:01
(also known as the Owho won 10 Stanley Cups in that time and were the most dominant

Oops, I hit reply too soon. It was supose to say "(also known as the Ottawa Silver Seven)" My bad!
Guest9930 Posted - 05/01/2007 : 07:12:58
Actually, they aren't called Senators in Canada. They're MP's so that's not where the Ottawa Senators name comes from.

They're named after the original Ottawa Senators hockey club from 1893-1934 (also known as the Owho won 10 Stanley Cups in that time and were the most dominant team of that era.They moved to St.Louis (hoping for better prosperity) and became the St.Louis Eagles for one season in 1934 before they finally went bankrupt becuase of the depression as so many NHL clubs did.

There doesn't appear to be a reason for the nickname "Senators" except that it was used as an alternate name for "Capital" since Ottawa is the capital of Canada.

http://sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/ott/originalsens.html
Kashmire Posted - 05/01/2007 : 06:20:04
You're right manninm. Montreal is along the St. Lawrence River. The French habitants settled along the river in Montreal. They are "The Habs" because of that if I remember correctly. Maybe Babs or Willus can correct me if I'm incorrect.( I remember babs saying he's french canadian)
manninm Posted - 05/01/2007 : 05:40:04
I believe Habs is short for Les Habitants....I don't know where the Les Habitants comes from though...maybe having to do with French-Canadian history

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
semin-rules Posted - 05/01/2007 : 05:32:56
quote:
Originally posted by Saku Steen

Does any one know why the Canadiens are the Habs?

Just a guess, but maybe "Hab" is french for something.
I'm not sure, i'm just making a guess.

~~~~~Great season Stars, better luck next year~~~~~
Saku Steen Posted - 05/01/2007 : 03:41:24
Does any one know why the Canadiens are the Habs?
GOWINGS19 Posted - 04/30/2007 : 16:31:15
haha I'm from the upper peninsula of michigan we've got high schools there like mine was called the Calumet Copper Kings, there were the kingford Flivvers, and Ishpeming Hematites...we all have some wierd names once in awhile

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was a one hundred percent effort that you gave - win or lose. -Gordie Howe
Mikhailova Posted - 04/30/2007 : 16:11:16
You wanna know who has the weirdest names? Illinois high schools--Teutopolis Wooden Shoes, Mattoon Maroons, Monmouth Zippers, Lockport Pretzels, and even more but I can't remember them all. (My dad grew up in Illinois so he knows all this stuff...)

OK sorry, back on topic. I just thought that was funny.
GOWINGS19 Posted - 04/30/2007 : 15:28:28
well...i'll give them the cleveland Lions name if it'll make our team better haha
pretty pathetic that CLEVELAND FANS voted to be called the browns...wow hey haha

semin-rules Posted - 04/30/2007 : 15:26:20
Haha thanks Wings. Still pretty bad name though

GOWINGS19 Posted - 04/30/2007 : 15:14:36
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

I wonder how that Clevland Browns fomr the NFL got their name what a name and logo!!

haha not like i care about cleveland...but i figured i'd get the info on them haha The Cleveland Browns were founded in 1946 under owner Arthur 'Mickey' McBride. A fan contest was conducted to determine the name of the team, with the most popular choice being "Panthers." However, Coach Paul Brown objected to the name as there was a semi-pro team using it already. A second contest was held, and the name "Browns" was selected. The coach was uncomfortable with the idea of having the team named after him, but stated publicly that the new team was named after boxing champion Joe Louis, who was known as the "Brown Bomber."

semin-rules Posted - 04/30/2007 : 14:41:39
I wonder how that Clevland Browns fomr the NFL got their name what a name and logo!!

GOWINGS19 Posted - 04/30/2007 : 13:38:40
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:
Originally posted by GOWINGS19

Detroit lions…no idea…first they were the wolverines, then they were the Spartans…then the lions…no explanation

That's interesting...the Wolverines are the University of Michigan's mascot, and the Spartans are Michigan State's mascot. Maybe they couldn't think of anything original so they just used the school mascots for awhile.

well the Lions were the last of the 5 teams in detroit apparently from what i read...i wasn't completely correct on that first they were the heralds, renamed the tigers, then the panthers, then the wolverines, then the spartans, then the lions...even though no one probably cares...they played the first game against chicago that is reffered to as an Arena football game...just some fun facts from this detroit lover haha

Mikhailova Posted - 04/30/2007 : 12:54:53
quote:
Originally posted by GOWINGS19

Detroit lions…no idea…first they were the wolverines, then they were the Spartans…then the lions…no explanation

That's interesting...the Wolverines are the University of Michigan's mascot, and the Spartans are Michigan State's mascot. Maybe they couldn't think of anything original so they just used the school mascots for awhile.
GOWINGS19 Posted - 04/30/2007 : 12:52:14
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Interesting posts. Thinking about other sports, only the basketball team from Detroit makes sense. Pistons. But Lions, Tigers, and Red Wings?? Not sure.

Also, does anybody know howe New Jeresy, New York, Philadelphia, or Nashville's names came together??

Also, a pretty weak trivia question. How did the LA Lakers bball team get their name?? Don't google it either!!!

The Detroit Red Wings- James E. Norris owner of the AHL's Chicago Shamrocks Norris bought the team in the summer of 1932 and merged it with his Shamrocks. Norris' first act was to choose a new name--the Red Wings. Earlier in the century, Norris had played on one of hockey's early powers, the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association, nicknamed the "Winged Wheelers." Because of the team’s location in Detroit, the Motor City, Norris transformed the MAAA logo into the first version of the Red Wings logo as we know it today.

Detroit Pistons- named from their original named team the Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons playing out of a high school gym. Owner Fred Zollner had a foundry which made pistons for cars, trucks, and locomotives.

Detroit Tigers- There are various legends about how the Tigers got their nickname. One involves the orange stripes they wore on their black stockings. Tigers manager George Stallings took credit for the name; however, the name appeared in newspapers before Stallings was manager. The earliest known use of the name "Tigers" in the news was in the Detroit Free Press on April 16, 1895. Another legend concerns a sportswriter equating the 1901 team's opening day victory with the ferocity of his alma mater, the Princeton Tigers. The truth is revealed in Richard Bak's 1998 book, A Place for Summer: A Narrative History of Tiger Stadium. In the 19th century, the city of Detroit had a military unit called the Detroit Light Guard, who were known as "The Tigers". They had played significant roles in certain Civil War battles and in the 1899 Spanish-American War. The baseball team was still informally called both "Wolverines" and "Tigers" in the news. Upon entry into the majors the ballclub sought and received formal permission from the Light Guard to use its trademark and from that day forth it is officially the Tigers.

hithere311 Posted - 04/28/2007 : 03:50:19
Nashville is named after the skull of a sabre-toothed-tiger found at a construction sight in the city.

Flyers were named because the person who named it wanted to capture the speed of hockey, so its a flying P with a puck in the centre.

New Jersey was named after the Jersey Devil, some sort of urban legend or ancient thing around the area.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 04/26/2007 : 08:46:15
Pretty sure Nashville was a naming contest, too. I'm almost positive I remember hearing that at one point.

My all time favorite team name is probably the Albany River Rats. Actually, some of the best team names are in the AHL. Whoever does marketing for that league should get a raise.

Worst name ever - the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. Yes, it's now just the Ducks, but I felt vomit rise up in my throat the first time I heard that was the actual name of the team. I thought it was a joke. The NHL should never have let Disney do that to our game. Of course, $$$ talks.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
ultimatetitman Posted - 04/25/2007 : 14:24:37
Madison Square Garden's manager and promoter in 1926 was Tex Rickard. He was also the founder of New York's newest hockey team in 1926, created to challenge the already successful New York Americans. It was the newspaper refered to the nameless team as Tex's Rangers, and the name stuck.

"I didn't know Sedin was Swedish for punch me"-Brian Burke, 2002
manninm Posted - 04/25/2007 : 14:17:02
The Sabres name originated from a naming contest after the announced epansion in 1968. After Seymour and Northrup Knox officially signed off on ownership of the Buffalo franchise, the Sabres were named along with their farm team the Cincinnati Swords.

Mikhailova Posted - 04/25/2007 : 12:44:28
Yes, it is. It says that on the Minnesota license plates.

quote:

Sorry, Islanders I know, Rangers I do not.

There's also Buffalo. I don't know where they got their name either.

Beans15 Posted - 04/25/2007 : 10:23:33
Exactly. They were from Minnesota. The land of 10,000 Lakes is it not??
PuckNuts Posted - 04/24/2007 : 16:06:29
The LA lakers were the Minneapolis Lakers, who moved to LA in the 60's...

Mikhailova Posted - 04/24/2007 : 15:59:42
quote:

Also, a pretty weak trivia question. How did the LA Lakers bball team get their name?? Don't google it either!!!

Oooh I know this...I've heard it before, but sort of forgot the details. Something like the team used to be from Wisconsin or Minnesota or somewhere near the Great Lakes and had the name 'Lakers', but moved to LA and kept the name. I think it was Minnesota and they replaced them with the Timberwolves. Not sure though.
leigh Posted - 04/24/2007 : 15:58:06
Hey Mikhailova, this is a very interesting post. I have learned a ton. Thanks!
PuckNuts Posted - 04/24/2007 : 15:43:03
The original name for the "Black Hawks" was the "Blackhawks", named for two reasons. First the owner was a member of the 85th Blackhawk Division in the first world war, and secondly he was aware of a Cheif Blackhawk who headed an Indian Tribe that roamed the midwest...

Same Book...

PuckNuts Posted - 04/24/2007 : 15:32:46
Detroit Red wings started out as the Cougars, then the Falcons, and then the Red Wings.

The Red Wing symbol comes from the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association, a sporting and cycling club (better known as the Montreal AAA, first Stanley Cup champs in 1893). They had a winged wheeler as their emblom.

James Norris who had purchased the team was a member of the Montreal AAA club, he decided a version of their logo was perfect for his team in Detroit...

same book...

PuckNuts Posted - 04/24/2007 : 15:15:39
Philadelphia Flyers were named by the owner's sister Phyllis Snider.

Then they had a name the team contest, Flyers finished first over suggestions such as the Quakers and the Liberty Bells.

From the book Total Hockey...

Beans15 Posted - 04/24/2007 : 15:03:58
Sorry, Islanders I know, Rangers I do not.
semin-rules Posted - 04/24/2007 : 14:50:31
I'm not sure if the is right but I think Nashville just chose that name because it would be a good name for a hockey team. Also, what New York team are you talking about? If it is the Islanders, then I think you can figure out how they got their name

Beans15 Posted - 04/24/2007 : 14:46:41
Interesting posts. Thinking about other sports, only the basketball team from Detroit makes sense. Pistons. But Lions, Tigers, and Red Wings?? Not sure.

Also, does anybody know howe New Jeresy, New York, Philadelphia, or Nashville's names came together??

willus3 Posted - 04/24/2007 : 14:32:20
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

I've always wondered about the Red Wings, and I just found this out today. I'm not sure where the mascot 'Red Wings' comes from, but the wheel on their jersey is there because Michigan is the 'Motor State', where Ford and some other major car company (I've already forgotten) are headquartered. 80% of automobile-related jobs in the US used to be in Michigan, and today the numbers are still high. As for the wing, maybe it's there as a symbol of racing or speed, since cars are used for that.

Detroit City's nickname is in fact The Motor City. The Big Three domestic car manufacturers were based in Detroit. GM, Ford and Chrysler. Your guess on the wing is as good as any.

"Go chase headlights!"
Mikhailova Posted - 04/24/2007 : 13:32:42
I've always wondered about the Red Wings, and I just found this out today. I'm not sure where the mascot 'Red Wings' comes from, but the wheel on their jersey is there because Michigan is the 'Motor State', where Ford and some other major car company (I've already forgotten) are headquartered. 80% of automobile-related jobs in the US used to be in Michigan, and today the numbers are still high. As for the wing, maybe it's there as a symbol of racing or speed, since cars are used for that.
Mikhailova Posted - 04/07/2007 : 10:56:09
quote:
Originally posted by wyntyre

The Calgary Flames are named obviously from the old Atlanta Flames who moved to Calgary in 1980.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. And yes, when Flames come in contact with Oil, fires start.
hithere311 Posted - 04/07/2007 : 10:53:22
The Anaheim Ducks, previously Mighty Ducks of Anaheim were named after the movies.

There is a song called "The St. Louis Blues" so thats how they got their name.

The one that confuses me is the Detroit Red Wings.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page