Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The Snow Girls - Love it or Hate it.

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4779 Posted - 05/02/2007 : 13:37:19
Ok gang, you know who I'm talking about. A few years ago there suddenly appeared these girls resembling NFL cheerleaders who are tasked with clearing the snow away from the boards and nets during TV time outs. This task, which was previously performed by guys in the typical hockey coaching suits, now goes to lycra clad, belly baring young girls who seem to get the job based more on cup size than ability to skate. No doubt a move by the NHL to try to get more fans in the seats of expanding American markets. Not surprisingly, I fall into the HATE IT category. Yes, I'm a chick, but no, I'm not some sort of bra burning feminist extremist. Just a gal who is pissed off that I have to endure this freaking insult every time I buy a ticket to an NHL game. Seriously, did they have a bunch of marketing execs sitting around a table and ALL they could come up with to sell the game was "hey, what if we somehow work scantily clad women into hockey?" Wow...brilliant. That's really top notch. Please, could you remind all the women and little girls in the stands again how great it makes us feel when we are completely objectified and degraded? Quoting from a game I attended where a few drunken guys were seated directly behind a whole minor hockey team of little girls: "dude, dude, check out the tits on blondie," to which buddy replied, "oh f*** yah, I'd do her in a second man." Wow...just a feel good experience for those young souls. Awesome. So guys I ask...could you live without the snow girls to spare the rest of us and maybe just watch some extra Showcase later to make up for it? Either that or maybe could we alternate every second time with Chippendales guys clearing the snow?
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kanadian7 Posted - 05/11/2007 : 10:20:12
I have never had a problem with the Ice Girls at any NHL hockey game. The reason I don't mind this is not because I enjoy gazing at them as they prance around the ice doing their job, it is that the do it for personal enjoyment. I have a great friend who is an ice girl in Vancouver. The ice girls in Vancouver volunteer for the job and don't get paid a dime. If the NHL was paying them to be there, then yes, I would agree it would be a sleazy selling technique, but until then, I will not find it to be offensive on any level.

I don't know if it is like this in any other city, can anybody with any other local knowledge help me out with whether or not the Ice Girls get paid in their hometowns
andyhack Posted - 05/06/2007 : 12:54:33
I wonder about a lot of "marketing" ploys in sports actually. Part of the problem is that sports has become so business-oriented that the powers that be actually have to sit down and think about these things. In this case they probably concluded, as many have mentioned, that "sex sells" or at the very least, that, "sex doesn't hurt". I know its the way of the world now, but I'd be lying if I told you I didn't long for the days twenty, thirty years ago when going to see a hockey game live was a lot more of an enjoyable experience actually, and I am not even referring to the Ice Girls who I have never seen live, but just all the music and other non-hockey stuff (you can call me a grumpy old 43 year old if you like). And in other sports too - I mean, in tennis for example, can you imagine a corporate guy back in the days of Borg, McEnroe and Connors saying, "I think we need to have the winner hit three balls into the crowd after the match in order to market the game". Back then it would have been silly cause the game marketed itself. Now, I still think it is silly, but I guess they feel they always have to do something cause the $ involved are so big.
vladyfan Posted - 05/06/2007 : 12:05:47
I am female.

I am a HUGE hockey fan, and have been for about 12 years. I just am a traditionalist. I don't like that they are trying to 'sell' the game in that way.... why not more player and NHL personality stuff... not some girl in a skimpy outfit.

"Don't want it, Don't need it, Don't want your war machine" - Nova Driver
Guest4462 Posted - 05/05/2007 : 17:15:37
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4193

quote:
Originally posted by Buddyno2000

And by the way look at the poll result its 82% say yes to them so i guess that's the proof it's not a bad thing after all.

just because the majority of the people on this site (which i'll bet is almost all males) like the women skating around in tiny, too-tight clothing does't make it a good thing. it's degrading, but most men are too wrapped up having a good time to notice. yes it's true that men like to look at women, they always have and always will, but that doesnt mean we have to mix it with a sport that was already enjoyable enough. if you want to look at half naked women, go buy a Playboy and leave the rest of us alone!!

"What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular"

Too late. Like it or lump it.
Guest4193 Posted - 05/05/2007 : 17:04:55
quote:
Originally posted by Buddyno2000

And by the way look at the poll result its 82% say yes to them so i guess that's the proof it's not a bad thing after all.

just because the majority of the people on this site (which i'll bet is almost all males) like the women skating around in tiny, too-tight clothing does't make it a good thing. it's degrading, but most men are too wrapped up having a good time to notice. yes it's true that men like to look at women, they always have and always will, but that doesnt mean we have to mix it with a sport that was already enjoyable enough. if you want to look at half naked women, go buy a Playboy and leave the rest of us alone!!

"What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular"
Guest7497 Posted - 05/05/2007 : 16:51:55
Are you joking? Take your feminist garbage somewhere else! There are both male and females doing this job. They wear tight pants - so what get over it. It is not like the NFL and NBA have not been using cheerleaders as sex objects so go and whine about that. They are mainly young women and underage from what I have seen so anyone getting hard about it is a sick bastard anyways. You give other female hockey fans a bad name.

Guest4265 Posted - 05/05/2007 : 14:00:52
Obviously the girls don't find it demeaning...They wouldn't be doing it if they did. Unless you've spent the last century confined in a hole making endless love to Amelia Earhart - I can't see how the idea of scantily clad women at a sporting event gets your blood boiling. If this is truly how you feel I recommend you skip on down to your local cryopreservation facility for processing and hope that Hawking discovers some sort of wormhole in the fabric of space-time enabling your safe transportation back to the 19th century where your archaic sense of decency is better suited...Don't be ridiculous...
Guest4462 Posted - 05/05/2007 : 11:10:41
The only thing I hate about them is their hot sexiness that makes me drool and long for a stoppage in play so that I can once again see their perky personalities do their job.

Perhaps we should have them clean the ice all the time and during their breaks a little hockey could be played... I'd pay for that.
Buddyno2000 Posted - 05/04/2007 : 09:07:33
Ya it wont make me buy a ticket but if i went to a game that was a blowout after the first for instance it would probably keep me there longer 'cos how could I miss the hot girls, lol

''The future ain't what it used to be''. Yogi Berra.
Guest0962 Posted - 05/04/2007 : 06:30:20
sorry, but i have to disagree with those ppl who think its not part of the game. i also apolgize on behalf of gary bettman to the people whose feelings were hurt for seeing beautiful girls in tights cleaning the ice.
Guest0962 Posted - 05/04/2007 : 06:16:00
----Admin Edit----------------------------------------------------------
CONTENT REMOVED - Let's try to have a little bit of taste here
----End Admin Edit-----------------------------------------------------

i think this is a subject that isnt gonna win, hockey needed eye candy for the longest time, especially since they serve beer at games. has anyone thought of those poor girls who have to wear skimpy outfits in sub zero temperatures? cmon guys who wants to see a guy named brutus with hair and grease all over his body wearing a wifebeater on the ice?
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 05/03/2007 : 23:00:14
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5502

Ice girls are hot!
I dont buy a tik for them, but they're a nice bonus for all my friends and colleagues and I.
Guys like to look at girls. Face facts and deal with it.
They aint going anywhere!

HAHAHAHAHAHA.......I like that philosophy. I prefer the things at Hurricane and Lightning games, The cheerleaders in the stands. If those are the Ice girls (I'm not really sure), then let it happen.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Guest4779 Posted - 05/03/2007 : 22:04:24
Uhmmm, hello, I was being sarcastic when I used the very slurs that so tick off us women. Clearly the sarcasm was lost in translation. Good point by Fly
quote:
I do like beer, loud music and half naked women. Just not at my hockey game.

and good point by Mik
quote:
It really doesn't have anything to do with hockey if you think about it...
because that's just the thing - it has nothing to do with hockey. Don't want it, don't need it. Can close the book there. Over n Out from 4779. Done like dinner.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 05/03/2007 : 21:17:37
Let me restate what I said. I did not say the ice girls are there to "sell tickets", I said they are there to "sell the game". These are two different things.

Certainly no one alive is dumb enough to pay for an NHL game ticket to see thirty seconds here and there of an ice girl.

My point is that some arenas are trying to sell a product in general, much like WWE tries to sell a product, or any sport tries to sell it's entertainment product.

I feel that putting these women out there like that is not only demeaning to the girls, but also to the game. Hockey is a beautiful game that is my one true religion, and if someone in Atlanta or Anaheim feels that this kind of thing is necessary to add to the game experience, I disagree 100%.

That's why I said move some of these teams to Hamilton or Winnipeg, because even if my fat ass was out there shoveling snow, no one would be disappointed. They'd be there for the game, not for the loud music, beer and half naked women.

I do like beer, loud music and half naked women. Just not at my hockey game.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Guest5502 Posted - 05/03/2007 : 19:56:44
Ice girls are hot!
I dont buy a tik for them, but they're a nice bonus for all my friends and colleagues and I.
Guys like to look at girls. Face facts and deal with it.
They aint going anywhere!
Mikhailova Posted - 05/03/2007 : 18:02:12
Someone lock this topic. I hate the idea of the snow girls, but it doesn't have anything to do with hockey if you think about it....
leigh Posted - 05/03/2007 : 17:59:10
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:
Originally posted by leigh

On a separate note it's nice to have more women posting. I hope some of you guests become forum members. We could certainly use some more representation from the female gender.

I'm doing all the dirty work here! lol

Mik, we're trying to recruit some more but they are a little shy. She's picked one hell of a topic for her first though. I hope 4779 joins up
Guest6916 Posted - 05/03/2007 : 17:39:21
You know what makes women feel demeaned or degraded? When you refer to them as "Ice-Sluts, Snow-Bitches or Squeegie-Whores"

That girl is doing her job just the way she was asked to. A job that she has done by choice and she is wearing the same thing she would wear to pilates or yoga. You should go picket Lululemon.
Guest4779 Posted - 05/03/2007 : 16:13:07
Love it! Debate. Awesome. Ok guys, I'll give you points for Rosa not being the same as Ice Girls. The Rosa scheme mixes in discrimination with a healthy lack of respect and the Ice Girls scheme mixes in exploitation with a healthy lack of respect. One could argue that this makes for two totallly different situations. Minus one for me, plus one for you. It all comes down to the slippery slope that is created when we have a lack of respect for other people. Hell, the Ice-Sluts, Snow-Bitches or Squeegie-Whores don't take any skin off your nose, so why the hell give a crap? Because their presence makes your wife, daughter, mom, sister, aunt, grammie or grand-daughter feel degraded and demeaned, if even just a bit. Whether you respect the feelings of the women you share your world with is entirely up to you.

Does anyone remember that little Sesame Street jingle, "one of these things is not like the other, one of just doesn't belong?" This is not my idea of what hockey should look like.
[img]http://msn.foxsports.com/id/6649722_7_2.jpg[/img]
willus3 Posted - 05/03/2007 : 15:08:50
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6916

I think ice girls are a far cry from Rosa at the back of the bus, blood diamonds and exploitation! Give me a break!

They're not naked and considering they are skating on ICE their clothing isn't that sparse. I could really care less if they were there or not, It's not making me buy a ticket.

The problem isn't the girls or guys on the ice, the problem is the idiots sitting behind you 4779, deal with them and then deal with your kids.

I have to agree with this. I also have to say I think the Ice Girls are ridiculous.
And 4779, you need to join this forum you smart lady you.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Guest6916 Posted - 05/03/2007 : 14:14:53
I think ice girls are a far cry from Rosa at the back of the bus, blood diamonds and exploitation! Give me a break!

They're not naked and considering they are skating on ICE their clothing isn't that sparse. I could really care less if they were there or not, It's not making me buy a ticket.

The problem isn't the girls or guys on the ice, the problem is the idiots sitting behind you 4779, deal with them and then deal with your kids.
Guest4779 Posted - 05/03/2007 : 13:43:42
Oh...and three cheers for those guys posting their shared disgust for this lame-o gimmick. We all like to look at the pretty peeps, but I think most people (both guys and gals) don't want to indulge this at the expense of making other people feel demeaned or uncomfortable.

Guest4779 Posted - 05/03/2007 : 13:34:44
Lots of good points people! I especially enjoyed this little gem from Leigh:
quote:
I have to think that "ice girls" are not going to sell any tickets what so ever. I don't think that any guys are sitting on the fence about buying a ticket and his buddy says "but they have ice girls" and he says "well in that case I'm in!"
It seems I've sparked quite a healthy little debate and that is an excellent thing. If it makes people think about it just a little bit - plus one for me. First off...thank you to all the folks who pointed out that sex sells and business is about making money. I had no idea.
Yes, exploitation inevitably leads to profits (or exploitation=profit). This fact may make a business model based on exploitation successful, but it DOES NOT make it justifiable. Diamonds come cheaper when dug out of the ground by children with guns at their heads, you can sell more cigarettes if you put fun cartoon camels on the side of the package and you can make a ton of money from cutting the fins off of 15,000 live sharks a day and throwing them back into ocean to sink helplessly to the bottom and drown. Hey...suck it up, that's just the way it is, right? Rosa - could you please move to the rear of the bus? We know it bothers you, but that's just the way it is.
First off, I agree with Leigh...I doubt this ploy puts more asses in the seats. Second, this likely useless marketting gimmick is alienating a substantial portion of your market. Yes Virginia, there are women in those stands! Guys, how would you like it if in between periods there were male strippers prancing about lycra pants and a nice bow-tie for a top? Oh, but they wouldn't actually strip, they'd just skate around the ice showing off their huge pecs, fabulously formed asses and larger than average packages while clearing snow off the ice. They really would just be performing an ice maintenance service. Hey sex sells right?
Mikhailova Posted - 05/03/2007 : 13:05:18
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

On a separate note it's nice to have more women posting. I hope some of you guests become forum members. We could certainly use some more representation from the female gender.

I'm doing all the dirty work here! lol
manninm Posted - 05/03/2007 : 12:57:28
It's another marketing ploy by the NHL to make the game more appealing to the television market in the US. What they don't realize is that the game still only has a "niche" market in the states and will ultimately only appeal to those serious about the game. I think HD may make a subtle difference, because the average fan can follow the game easier in HD, but until there's an HDTV in every home this won't change.

Back on topic, the girls must go! It has nothing to do with the game, as previously stated by many others. I, like many men, don't mind seeing nice young women in skimpy outfits. However, if the action is demeaning and really has no purpose, like the aforementioned snow girls, then I must be against it. There's nothing tasteful about it, and it doesn't do anything for the sport.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
perryfan Posted - 05/03/2007 : 03:31:49
I get irritated with foul-mouthed drunken commentary when I attend ANY sporting event, whether or not my kids are in tow. I'm not going to have a hissy fit over every bad word I hear, because it's not a symphony, it's a hockey game. The raucous atmosphere of people fully emotionally invested in the competition is part of what makes it fun. But, it's just plain wrong to subject anyone else to listening to your sexual fantasies. If it had been me who heard something that gross, I would have gone into righteous indignation mode.
I have to say, though, that I don't find girls in belly shirts clearing the ice or handing out prizes especially offensive. It's certainly not nearly as provocative as the cheer/dance teams you see with most other pro sports (not to mention the photos of mostly naked women and men hawking a myriad of products on billboards, magazines,etc.) The Ducks' ladies are definitely young and thin, but I haven't taken note that they are especially... ahem... alluring? They're wearing more than a lot of young girls I see walking home from school or trolling the mall. It's unreasonable to think that we can hold a sporting organization to a higher standard than we hold our own kids. Personally, I've never heard anyone around me say anything crass to or about the girls at the Honda Center.
As to the original question posed by 4779, I think you're asking the wrong question of the wrong people. I agree with Leigh that no one is going to an NHL game just for the ice girls. But it doesn't matter if every male fan you ask agrees the skin fest is unnecessary, unless someone makes a stink to the people in charge. The squeaky wheel gets the oil! If you're really as steamed as you sound, get some like minded people together and write letters to the owner, GM, the stadium's PR contact, and everyone else you can think of who might be able to affect some change. If the big issue is fans' inappropriate behavior, find out if your arena has rules about cursing, and then talk to security about what to do if someone's out of line.
By the way, did you or anyone else say anything to the men who were talking about those women? You can't control everything that kids hear, but it would have been good for those little girls to know that what they heard was NOT acceptable. Maybe after the game it could have led to a discussion about what kind of image they want to present, and what kind of reaction is typical when women put their bodies on public display.
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 05/03/2007 : 00:10:46
"ice girls"? Sounds Hot!!!!!

Maybe I'll start going to more games hahahahaha.....

No I'm just breaking balls, it's kinda cheesy. Cheerleaders have some sort of talent, so let them do their thing if it makes em happy...But Clearing away snow is not a really sexy gimmick anyhow.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Beans15 Posted - 05/02/2007 : 20:05:49
Ya, more girls on this site would be good. Get different perspectives on things.

But do you think you could post your avatars as women wearing cheerleading outfits?? I think it would be good for the game.....

KIDDING!!!!!!!!
leigh Posted - 05/02/2007 : 19:36:49
I have to think that "ice girls" are not going to sell any tickets what so ever. I don't think that any guys are sitting on the fence about buying a ticket and his buddy says "but they have ice girls" and he says "well in that case I'm in!" So really then, wouldn't ice girls be bad for business? I mean it might stop guys from using the TV time outs to grab a beer or food etc.

just an observation...considering the topic...this forum has had quite a few responses and probably won't die any time soon. So what TCT says about "what sells, sells!" appears to be true...

Beans15 Posted - 05/02/2007 : 18:40:22
Before we throw the book at the NHL, maybe let's take a step back and look at who is really responsible. I know for certain that the Oilers have both Male and Female rink attendants. And NONE of them wear anything deemed as "sexy." They all wear the same thing. And even a weak Oiler team sells out every night. Most teams don't need the gimmicks to sell out.

My point is that before we shoot the NHL, I am pretty sure we should be pointing the finger at each team and/or arena management that decides to do this.

And if you are looking for a team to cheer for that does not use the cheerleader type rink attendants, the Oilers welcome all fans!!

PS- To the person who said that most of the original 6 teams don't have them. Which one's do?? I know Detroit does. Who else??
vladyfan Posted - 05/02/2007 : 17:50:29
I HATE it. I am female too, and I think that it is just a stupid gimmick. Notice that most of the original six teams DO NOT have them!!

"Don't want it, Don't need it, Don't want your war machine" - Nova Driver
andyhack Posted - 05/02/2007 : 17:48:59
I'm with you on this one fly4apuckguy, but maybe not for the same reason. I just find all the distractions like the girls, the blaring music, the commercials on the screen, etc kind of sad cause none of it is really about hockey. A hockey rink shouldn't be a rock concert, a movie theatre or a place to watch commercials on a large screen TV. As for watching girls, I agree with Guest 4779, if we guys want to do that, there are all types of places we can - including football games actually. I like the idea of a hockey game being a hockey game.

Oh, and TC/Guest 2049, yeah I guess you're right - all of this is about business, including the girls. They are a selling point for many, and that's the way of the world. I just think that is too bad.
Guest2049 Posted - 05/02/2007 : 17:26:06
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

Not a fan. It's cheap. I feel embarassed for the women doing it.

If we "need to sell" hockey to certain markets, maybe certain markets should fold and let Winnipeg and Hamilton take a shot. They'll sell out every game with no American-style gimmicks.

And before you freak out, Americans, remember, you were the ones behind the glow puck. That gives me at least thirty years of slams free.

yeah... and i'm sure you are not alone. and i'm sure that there another 100 people who love it. Bottom-line is that you will go pay and watch the game and feel embarassed for the women, the other guy will pay and go to watch the game and the girls, and girls will go to the game, do their ice wiggles and get paid for it, and all is as it is in the world.

btw... you shouldnt be embarassed for the girls at all.. you can bet dollars to donuts that ever single one of them is proud and esctatic to be there doing that job.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 05/02/2007 : 17:15:35
Not a fan. It's cheap. I feel embarassed for the women doing it.

If we "need to sell" hockey to certain markets, maybe certain markets should fold and let Winnipeg and Hamilton take a shot. They'll sell out every game with no American-style gimmicks.

And before you freak out, Americans, remember, you were the ones behind the glow puck. That gives me at least thirty years of slams free.

Guest2049 Posted - 05/02/2007 : 15:25:04
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4548

Cigarettes sell too, but does that mean we should sell them at arenas? My point is, just because something "sells" doesn't mean we should sell "it". I agree with Guest4779. I go to the Canucks games regularly and seen many a parent become visibly upset when they overhear comments like the ones the original poster quoted. I also agree that the scantily clad women are totally unnecessary for ice cleaning. I love that in DC, kids get to do it. Yes there are male "ice bitches" too, but they aren't showing up in tank tops, like the women. I don't mind too much that men & women are doing it so long as they are dressed equally, and reasonably. ie. track suits like the guys wear is fine.

Sadly, we all know that lots of guys really do talk like the quotes posted by Guest4779. Apparently some guys (and presumably a marginal set of women) are unable to be considerate and polite not only to the people around them but about women in general, so let's not feed those low-lifes with whatever it is that they want to "buy". Let the rink crew clean the snow off.

Not going to happen so you might as well get used to it.
In big business, money makes the world go round. The only reason that any big business (NHL included) doest anything 'community oriented', or 'for the good of the game' or ... is because it's part of their business model that by doing that they get more money. period. Like it or lump it, but accept it. Don't be stupid and naive.
Guest4548 Posted - 05/02/2007 : 15:20:38
Cigarettes sell too, but does that mean we should sell them at arenas? My point is, just because something "sells" doesn't mean we should sell "it". I agree with Guest4779. I go to the Canucks games regularly and seen many a parent become visibly upset when they overhear comments like the ones the original poster quoted. I also agree that the scantily clad women are totally unnecessary for ice cleaning. I love that in DC, kids get to do it. Yes there are male "ice bitches" too, but they aren't showing up in tank tops, like the women. I don't mind too much that men & women are doing it so long as they are dressed equally, and reasonably. ie. track suits like the guys wear is fine.

Sadly, we all know that lots of guys really do talk like the quotes posted by Guest4779. Apparently some guys (and presumably a marginal set of women) are unable to be considerate and polite not only to the people around them but about women in general, so let's not feed those low-lifes with whatever it is that they want to "buy". Let the rink crew clean the snow off.
Buddyno2000 Posted - 05/02/2007 : 15:05:30
Yep tctitans,
It could not have been said in a better way, Like he said business is business you can't always wonder every time you want to make a change will it affect a couple off people in a bad way, No you can't you have to ask yourself will it bring people in , will we make more money for instance, It is sad but hockey (NHL) is not a game anymore its a business with a market to try to gain, I f you cross someone and they tell you that money isn't everything , well they are either lying to you or they are simply without as clue, Life is though and thats the way it is.

''The future ain't what it used to be''. Yogi Berra.
tctitans Posted - 05/02/2007 : 14:50:57
I hear ya 4779, but I'm afraid that it's something that you (we, everyone) has to get used to whether it's liked or not. The fact is that what sells, sells - It's not about being fair. Look at the rest of the world around you, it's not much different.
Guest4779 Posted - 05/02/2007 : 14:23:10
I'm also a Canucks fan and yes, there are guys cleaning the ice as well, but they do not have a stitch of lycra on them.

The question is really, should NHL teams have some conscience here and not take advantage in such a way? NY Rangers beat writer Steve Zipay raised this very question on the Islanders blog after there was an incident with Henrik Lundqvist and Islanders Ice Girls:

Quoting Zipay "[I]t raises the question of why trios of bare-midriffed young ladies are swirling around to perform a job efficiently handled without fanfare by rink personnel in many arenas. Yes, at some arenas and at the Coliseum, male fans ogle the girls in what passes for "entertainment" during TV timeouts. Confession: I'm usually typing during timeouts so I don't even notice. So I'll ask: Should the "Ice girls" even be dressed up and shoved out for display in the lion's den?"

Of note: The Washington Capitols currently use kids from local minor hockey teams to perform ice cleaning duties during games.
Guest0962 Posted - 05/02/2007 : 13:45:36
i haven't noticed what happens in other arenas, as its only during commercial breaks that the ice cleaners are out there, but at GM Place in Vancouver, they have both male and female ice cleaners. The men are in similarly tight shirts, not so much with the pants. But it's somewhat more balanced that what you're talking about. Again, I don't know what the deal is in other NHL arenas, but in Vancouver, they have guys doing it too.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page