Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Murray-Spezza and other success stories

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
andyhack Posted - 05/10/2007 : 19:58:57
I touched on this in the Adams thread. Let's get a word in for Coach Murray! That team was a mess at the beginning of the year. And Spezza was not playing well. I think Murray deserves at least some credit for the turn-around, and I think that turn-around could have major career long benefits for Spezza.

So the topic here is this - can you think of some other Coach-Player relationships where the coach has had a significantly positive effect on the player's career path?

The main one that comes to my mind is actually none other than Don Cherry and the effect that he had in turning a somewhat flaky young Rick Middleton into a solid two way player.

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fly4apuckguy Posted - 05/10/2007 : 20:27:32
Obviously, what John Tortorella has done with two guys in particular. I think his affect on Martin St. Louis is obvious. The guys was on waivers before his career did an about-face in Tampa.

Less obvious, but maybe even more impressive, is what he's done with Vincent Lecavalier. I know the relationship has been somewhat strained at times, but I think Lecavalier was headed in the direction of another young French Canadian junior star, Alexandre Daigle.

Lecavalier needed the right combination of kid gloves/butt kickin' that has resulted in him being a superstar today. I found that early in his career Vincent was a bit of a lazy player. Torterella knocked that out of him.

However, Torterella also says, "That's my star player" and gives him the stroke when he needs it.

That's a coach getting the most out of his player, if you ask me.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Beans15 Posted - 05/10/2007 : 20:23:34
I think that is the thing about Sather, he really didn't treat anyone differently. He treated them all the same and really drilled in the team thing. Those guys could have easily fallen apart with jeleously. Without Sather, they would have.

Maybe a little bit off topic. But it involves a pretty neat success story around hockey, and it around Sather and the Oilers in the 80's.

How did Joey Moss become the Oilers locker room attendant??
andyhack Posted - 05/10/2007 : 20:16:43
Beans! You are NOTHING if not an Oiler fan! Okay - but I am thinking about something more specific - was there one guy in particular you think Sather really had a particularly huge impact on? I am asking, not questioning.
Beans15 Posted - 05/10/2007 : 20:08:54
How about Sather and all the young Oilers in the 80's?? He made them not only better players, but better people. He put a lot of pressure on them on the ice and off. He made them get involved in Charity work in the City, and forced them to use finacial advisors to help them manage their money.

I think Sather was a huge impact on the way those guys present themselves. Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Fuhr. All are speak very humbly(is that a word) about their careers and the fact that they all needed each other to succeed. That all came from Sather!
Patchy Posted - 05/10/2007 : 20:03:31
What about Ken Hitchcock with Mike Modano in the late 90's? That's when Modano learned to be a great two way player, if you haven't already, watch the movie "nothing else matters" it's all about the Star's playoff run in '99, shows how Hitchcock evolved Modano.

~~Go Leafs Go~~

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page