Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Lemieux should take a pass on Turin

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ryan Harper Posted - 12/01/2005 : 09:18:43
Let's hope Mario calls up Gretzky and declines the guaranteed invite to the Olympics this winter in Turin. He needs to back off and let guys like Crosby, Spezza, and Staal have a shot. Team Canada is full of leaders and I think Joe Sakic would make a great captain.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bablaboushka Posted - 12/12/2005 : 10:12:01
I think it was his admittance to the hospital that forced him to do this. I think if he has still been relatively healthy, he would have tried to squeeze another Olympics out of himself. Too bad his health is suffering so much, from his debates with the Pittsburgh City for a new rink, to ownership duties of the Penguins, to his play and that of his teammates....a lot for him to handle, and it sucks we'll have to see him miss out. I'm not too worried about the kids aforementioned playing in these Olympics, they will all have multiple chances in international competition.

For humour's sake, SEND CROSBY TO THE WORLD JUNIORS! Ha ha, just kidding guys.
Ryan Harper Posted - 12/12/2005 : 08:55:45
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Harper

Let's hope Mario calls up Gretzky and declines the guaranteed invite to the Olympics this winter in Turin. He needs to back off and let guys like Crosby, Spezza, and Staal have a shot. Team Canada is full of leaders and I think Joe Sakic would make a great captain.

I hate to say I told you so:

“With [Ottawa’s Jason] Spezza playing very well and Sid [Crosby] and [Carolina’s Eric] Staal and all these guys, I think it’s time for these guys to step up and they deserve to be on the team. So, I called Gretzky and let him know a couple days ago.”

Mario Lemieux (pittsburghpenguins.com)
pucker Posted - 12/08/2005 : 09:05:12
Now we can officially say that Mario should stay home. Let's hope he gets well.
Donald Beckett Posted - 12/07/2005 : 10:18:52
Imagine if the Russian's or Czech's were faced with this type of decision. Whether or not to take arguably the second best player ever to the Olympics. Makes you proud to be a Canadian.
bablaboushka Posted - 12/06/2005 : 14:34:55
I think it would be a ridiculous waste not to bring him because he can work magic in the offensive zone (especially on powerplays). He wouldn't suit up just for a shootout, nor should he turn down his spot for a guy like Staal. Only the most deserving guys will make it and if such a guy like Staal doesn't, then they shouldn't see it as a shot to their performance, but that they need to develop themselves further before playing at the highest level of competition on the planet. Staal, Crosby, Spezza, Heatley...they might all make the team but we can't forget these guys will be the Lemieux's and Sakic's for the next 15-20 years. What a nice problem to have for team Canada!
pucker Posted - 12/06/2005 : 09:30:11
Why not leave Lemieux at home where he belongs and let a guy like Eric Staal step up and not only take penalty shots but also play during the game. Let's get serious.
dallasj Posted - 12/05/2005 : 11:52:41
The question is do past performances equal automatic selection. When you are trying to put together a winning combonation, it should be who gives you the best chance to win. If I remember correctly, international rules allow you to have one more player dressed and on the bench then you are at the NHL level. If that is the case, then yes Lemieux should be included for one sole purpose: penalty shootouts. When I look at the potential Canadian lineup, there isn't anybody else that I would want to step up with the game coming down to a penalty shootout.
Jack Kayden 66 Posted - 12/05/2005 : 09:57:28
Lemieux is saving it for the Olympics. He has got to be there along with Spezza, Staal , and Crosby. They need to learn from Mario as they will be carrying the national team for the next 10-15 years.
leigh Posted - 12/04/2005 : 23:59:57
Hey babs, I agree. Mario is a star and as long as he's healthy he's still better than 95% of the league. Not to mention the leadership he brings. He's Captain Canada!!!
bablaboushka Posted - 12/04/2005 : 20:43:53
I disagree (with Mario turning down an invite), provided he is healthy and fit to play. Guys like Spezza and Crosby have experience to gain in the NHL first, not to mention have 3 maybe 4 Winter Olympics ahead of them. Not saying though, that these guys should be counted out because I think Spezza and Staal should be shoe-ins, but I think still having Mario and his playmaking ability would be very helpful.

First line: Spezza, Heatley, Iginla

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page