Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Team Canada Announced

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 12/21/2005 : 14:45:41
In Goal: Brodeur, Luongo, Turco

On Defense: Pronger, Blake, Foote, Regehr, Niedermayer, Jovanovski, Redden.

Forwards: Bertuzzi, Sakic, Gagne, Heatley, St. Louis, Richards, Lecavalier, Draper, Doan, Iginla, Thornton, Smyth, Nash.

Alternates: Spezza, Staal, McCabe
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ripley Posted - 12/24/2005 : 18:36:20
Russia looks pretty hot this year.

Khabibulin, Nabokov, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Frolov, Kovalev, Malkin, Datsyuk, Afinogenov, Kasparitis, Zhamnov, Gonchar, Yashin, Markov, Volchenkov, Kozlov etc.

Its a pretty young team but if they can play with some intensity they look good. Bronze maybe?
nazzy_19 Posted - 12/24/2005 : 13:43:12
you're the man, zoran.
George Zoran Posted - 12/24/2005 : 11:34:45
Regardless, Canada will win the Gold.
nazzy_19 Posted - 12/22/2005 : 22:07:49
I think the aforementioned checking/scoring line you were hoping for is already in the works with Iginla there. My lines would go something like this:

Forward Lines:

Dany Heatley - Simon Gagne - Joe Thornton(Rick Nash)
Joe Sakic - Todd Bertuzzi - Jarome Iginla
Vincent Lecavlier - Martin St. Louis - Brad Richards
Ryan Smyth - Kris Draper - Shane Doan

Defense:

Rob Blake - Adam Foote
Chris Pronger - Wade Redden(Robyn Regehr)
Ed Jovanovski - Scott Niedermayer (offensively minded)

I didn't put any "top lines" or anything, as it's most likely going to be a bit off after we see who clicks and who doesn't... I think the 'lightning' line is pretty much a given to stay together unless they have issues gelling internationally (which I doubt).

Big Bert will throw his weight around a bit and be a force to be reckoned with, especially with snipers like Iginla and Sakic doing their thang in the slot and down low. He

Keep an eye on the Jovo/Neidermayer defensive pairing... I'm sure this will happen, and this will add a dimension to Canada's game that will be hard to defend against... especially on any power-plays. With Blake and Foote reliving their Avalanche days, pasting the goalie with thunderous shots from the blue line, the opposing team is going to have a tough time of it.

I think the key to Canada's success this February is GOALTENDING, GOALTENDING, GOALTENDING. Hopefully Brodeur is on his game, since he basically is on the team via past experience and reputation, and if not, Luongo can come in and be the hero that he really deserves to be. Playing in Florida for as long as he has, the guy needs something good to happen sooner or later. Makes you wonder if he actually had a defense in front of him how well he'd play...

bablaboushka Posted - 12/22/2005 : 21:10:33
Gretzky didn't campaign for anyone more than another, including his team. Doan is there for a checking/grinding line that's it. As much as I would have loved Spezza or Staal on the team, they aren't this kind of role-player. They will be in the next 3 winter games anyways.

The three goalies are perfect, although I hope Turco gets to play.

Rob Blake is an international vet = why he made the team. Phaneuf didn't make it along the same guidelines Crosby didn't make it. He too has 3-4 winter games.

One thing that would have been nice to see though is a checking/scoring line from Canada that could have included Shanahan, Bertuzzi and Thornton or something. They could have done the same if not better than Draper and Doan as grinders, plus they have innate scoring abilities which would have made it tough for teams to handle.
pucker Posted - 12/22/2005 : 08:32:37
It is tough to argue with the selections however I will anyways.
Doan is only on the team because of Gretzky. If Wayne was campaigning for any of his players it should have been Curtis Joseph. I would put Spezza on before Doan. Draper is a role player but I would rather see Staal. On defense I would have found a way to put Dion Phaneuf on the team - maybe ahead of Rob Blake who is minus 173 (give or take) this season. Other than that I think all of the other selections are solid.
leigh Posted - 12/21/2005 : 17:30:49
What do you do when you have so much talent to choose from. I'm liking the line up for the most part. A couple I'd leave off but then again I'm about as far away from Gretzky as anyone can get....

1) Not a big Doan fan. He's good but not this calibre. Obviously a checker.
2) Jovo would be a great pick for forward
3) We have enough scoring so why St. Louis? Other than that what else does he bring? I'll plead ignorance here.

What are the rules against a country bringing a second team? :-)
bablaboushka Posted - 12/21/2005 : 15:05:29
It's obvious Canada had goals in naming their team. One of them is they wanted to stay loyal and they wanted a checking line. It would have been nice to see a fully offensive team with guys like Kariya, Shanahan and Marleau, regardless if they were really contenders or not. Staal and Spezza should have been on the main squad, but with the 4th line's specific roles, it's not suprising they are on the taxi squad.

Super happy to see Turco, hope he gets to play.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page