Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Best Player in the NHL Now?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4680 Posted - 10/29/2007 : 21:08:12
Who is the best player right now in the NHL
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Deaner Posted - 09/04/2010 : 09:48:07
crosby....no doubt about it
Guest0857 Posted - 06/04/2008 : 21:41:45
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5372
I would respectfully disagree that Malkin has a more complete game than Zetterberg. Malkin is very good in the offensive zone. In his own zone though he is very, very low.

Zetterberg is very under rated for considering he will be the 2008 Conn Smythe winner. Mark my words.

Did I call that or what. Hank was awesome again.
snoopzen Posted - 06/03/2008 : 23:48:11
Real-life (aka "complete player")? It would be hard to argue with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg. This isn't influenced by playoff performance... I'd base this on regular season stats. Datsyuk finished 4th in league scoring, Zetts 6th, and they're both Selke Trophy nominees.

Fantasy-wise? I'd love to have Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin on my roster, in that order.
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 06/03/2008 : 02:13:17
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

My top ten are (no specific order)

Iginla
Lecavalier
Alfreddson
Thornton
Richards
Lidstrom
Pronger
Ovechkin
Crosby
Malkin

I can agree with that list with the exeption of Malkin and Richards. I would replace them with Datsyuk and Zetterberg but then again I´m a huge Red Wings fan.
Guest5372 Posted - 06/02/2008 : 13:55:02
quote:

Iginla
Lecavalier
Alfreddson
Thornton
Richards
Lidstrom
Pronger
Ovechkin
Crosby
Malkin
I will try to find the link to the Crosby Picture.

I would respectfully disagree that Malkin has a more complete game than Zetterberg. Malkin is very good in the offensive zone. In his own zone though he is very, very low.

Zetterberg is very under rated for considering he will be the 2008 Conn Smythe winner. Mark my words.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 06/02/2008 : 08:51:12
lets see here. best player in the league....... THORNTON!
actually, I would probably have to go with either Iginla or Alfredsson for all-around ability. Thornton just keeps disappointing me in the playoffs!

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Beans15 Posted - 06/02/2008 : 08:10:52

Iginla
Lecavalier
Alfreddson
Thornton
Richards
Lidstrom
Pronger
Ovechkin
Crosby
Malkin
I will try to find the link to the Crosby Picture.
n/a Posted - 06/02/2008 : 05:05:49
Beans, you had me laughing at that Napolean Dynamite reference without the visual footage . . . but yeah, someone post a link!

Agree about Zetterberg - he is not in my top ten either, but he is playing amazing, inspired hockey right now. Best player, I still have to say is Ovechkin, then a close second is Iginla. I truly think they are both head and shoulders above all else in terms of a "complete player". Crosby and Lecavalier and Malkin and all the rest follow.

Of course, that's for this/last year, which is ending possibly tonight. I can't wait until next season starts already . . . I think the next few years, the scoring race will be a constant battle between Crosby, Lecavalier and Ovechkin unless one of them gets hurt.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 06/02/2008 : 05:02:47
quote:

The best player in the league might get out played in a game or two, but to get outplayed for 4 straight games and contained isn't what the best players in the game does. I will give him credit for the fact that he is one of the few Penguins showing any heart at all and that his coach is not using him they way he should, but Crosby is getting outplayed in every part of the ice by Zetterberg. And I barely consider Zetterberg a top 10 player in the league.

Crosby is not the man. Best player in the game today is unfortunately a Calgary Flames. Mr. Iginla is the man.

I would choose Lidström for the nr 1 spot. Beans you are a knowledgeble guy but you might undervalue Z a bit imo. Who would make your top 10 list in no particular order?
admin Posted - 06/01/2008 : 20:28:04
quote:
(PS, although I am not to the degree of IHC, I am not a big Crosby fan. In the Edmonton Sun today they had the top 10 athletes who have a celebrity look alike. Number 4 was Crosby with his play off "beard." His celebrity look a like was Pedro from Napoleon Dynomite. I literally fell out of my chair with coffee spraying out of my nose I was laughing to hard.)

I have to see this Beans. You should scan it and post it. I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 06/01/2008 : 16:14:26
if it had to choose i would say wade belak. this guy can play defence he can score he can handle the puck he can do EVERYTHING!! and can even play goal!

lol just kidding

Leafsfan_94

Beans15 Posted - 06/01/2008 : 15:58:46
The best player in the league might get out played in a game or two, but to get outplayed for 4 straight games and contained isn't what the best players in the game does. I will give him credit for the fact that he is one of the few Penguins showing any heart at all and that his coach is not using him they way he should, but Crosby is getting outplayed in every part of the ice by Zetterberg. And I barely consider Zetterberg a top 10 player in the league.

Crosby is not the man. Best player in the game today is unfortunately a Calgary Flames. Mr. Iginla is the man.

(PS, although I am not to the degree of IHC, I am not a big Crosby fan. In the Edmonton Sun today they had the top 10 athletes who have a celebrity look alike. Number 4 was Crosby with his play off "beard." His celebrity look a like was Pedro from Napoleon Dynomite. I literally fell out of my chair with coffee spraying out of my nose I was laughing to hard.)
fly4apuckguy Posted - 06/01/2008 : 12:42:20
quote:
(Still think he should just be an assistant captain -apparently guys like Talbot actually run the team)

Interesting that you mention Talbot, as he was the guy on TV the other night stating how Crosby is their leader, and a great captain.
Open_Ice Posted - 05/27/2008 : 08:58:05
And yet when they play a non-dysfunctional, non injury-riddled team both players you mentioned fold under the pressure...

Sorry couldnt resist, they both had a great season and playoffs up until the finals.

Looking back on this season though, I do not think Crosby was the best player in the league, and for that matter I do not think he was the best player on his team this year either. (Still think he should just be an assistant captain -apparently guys like Talbot actually run the team)

Just my opinion, no harm intended. Lets see what happends next season...
fly4apuckguy Posted - 05/19/2008 : 17:16:34
Fun to look back on this and see that at the beginning of the season, I said Pittsburgh would get on a hot streak eventually, and that Fleury should not yet be written off, and that Crosby would be able to lead....

...and I was right.
Vokoun Posted - 05/15/2008 : 05:15:26
As a Panthers fan I catch a lot of Vinny Lecavalier and it ticked me off when people jumped off his bandwagon after his 15 game outburst started to slow a little, but this guy is the best player in the NHL without a doubt. Everyone is saying Malkin and Ovechkin, but he has size and finesse on both of them, and the ability to work in small areas (remember that incredible goal against Calgary in the final??)

Problem is he is a little streaky, but he is still the best because his pros outweigh his con when compared to Malkin and Ovechkin and Crosby.
Guest9656 Posted - 05/14/2008 : 09:27:21
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4299

jeez u guy dont know ne thing ovechin is da best hoes

Is this even English?
Guest4299 Posted - 05/13/2008 : 18:43:58
jeez u guy dont know ne thing ovechin is da best hoes
OvertimeMark11 Posted - 04/22/2008 : 09:17:48
yeah oveckin is a good goalie
Guest7904 Posted - 04/15/2008 : 20:48:50
alex oveckin and i means hands down with no debate
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/15/2008 : 05:03:30
sorry, that guest 9550 or whatever was me.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Guest9550 Posted - 02/15/2008 : 05:01:41
Well, obviously i am going to have to say that Joe Thornton is the best player in the league! the way he can handle the puck and make his teammates look so good is just incredible! not to mention that he is so big and strong, it's tough to knock him off the puck.
But as for most valuable to his team? I would agree with Beans with Luongo because the Canucks would be absolutely terrible without him. But Ovechkin is the ONLY reason that the Caps are any good! if he goes down, the whole team goes down. If he gets shut out, the team loses. Crosby is a very good player. definitly one of the best in the league. but he is not as valuable to Pittsburgh as Ovechkin is to Washington. That is being proved right now as Crosby is hurt but Pittsburgh is still winning. I can guarantee that if Ovechkin got hurt, The Capitals would stop winning!
Beans15 Posted - 02/11/2008 : 17:45:34
quote:
Originally posted by Kovy_Sniper

alfredsson is a king, deffinatly up there as one of the best in the game today and no one can say otherwise... hes got a dirty snipe and a HUGE heart, if the curse of a "european born player has never won a cup" ever ends, i think alfy is deffinatly the one to do it

what other swedish player has lead his team like alfredsson last playoffs... i mean damn he got 14 goals in 20 games.... thats hefty for any player in the playoffs

OK, I have a few questions

1) What the hell is a "dirty snipe?" In 25 years of watching hockey I have never heard the term before.

2) You posted once that Kovalchuk is the best, not you are posting Alfredsson. Who is it??

3) I am thinking that Norris Nick has as good a chance as Alfredsson if not better to break that European Captain Curse.

4) I would not put Alfredsson's playoff performance anywhere near anything. It's not like Gretzky in 93 when he carried his team to Montreal's doorstep and fell short after potting 15 goals and adding 25 assists for 40 points in 24 games. How about Mario destroying everything in sight and getting 34 points in 15 games in 92?? What about Gretzky in 85 when the Mighty Oil lost only 3 games on their way to the Cup with WG adding 17 goals and 30 assists for 47 points in just 18 games.

When you consider that, Alfredsson's 14 goals and 8 assists in 20 games is almost amateur

PuckNuts Posted - 02/11/2008 : 17:05:26
quote:
Originally posted by Kovy_Sniper

let me edit my top post lol, the curse of a european CAPTAIN has never won a cup!!

Actually two european born captains have lead their teams to the Stanley Cup.

Chuck Gardiner born in Edinburgh, GBR with Chicago in 1934.
Johnny Gottselig born in Odessa, RUS with Chicago 1938.

[img]http://www.maldesigns.ca/top%2050%20since%201967%20banner.jpg[/img]
Antroman Posted - 02/11/2008 : 16:01:52
I caught the dirty snipe in Germany too but she wasn't a prostitute....just a regular old bar trollop. I never caught anything from the prostitutes.......they are government run and controlled.
Beans15 Posted - 02/11/2008 : 09:52:36
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

I think I caught the dirty snipe from a prostitute in germany before

Oh that's what that is. I've been trying to explain it to my wife. I will let her know it's was a dirty snipe and she will understand.
MSC Posted - 02/11/2008 : 08:53:17
I think I caught the dirty snipe from a prostitute in germany before
Kovy_Sniper Posted - 02/10/2008 : 15:56:03
let me edit my top post lol, the curse of a european CAPTAIN has never won a cup!!

Kovy_Sniper Posted - 02/10/2008 : 15:54:39
alfredsson is a king, deffinatly up there as one of the best in the game today and no one can say otherwise... hes got a dirty snipe and a HUGE heart, if the curse of a "european born player has never won a cup" ever ends, i think alfy is deffinatly the one to do it

what other swedish player has lead his team like alfredsson last playoffs... i mean damn he got 14 goals in 20 games.... thats hefty for any player in the playoffs

colarox Posted - 02/10/2008 : 15:27:00
most points?
most goals?
ovechkin is the best ....no one else comes close

go thrasher go!
Kovy_Sniper Posted - 02/10/2008 : 15:15:08
how is ilya kovalchuk not in that poll while mats sundin and rob brindamour is.... kovy has the dirtyest snipes and if hes given room, he is unstoppable

I've been to 2 Atlanta Thrasher games this year in Ottawa and have witnessed 5 Ilya Kovalchuk goals!
Datsyuk 1 Posted - 02/08/2008 : 15:59:35
Ya well Leigh there is like a lot of these topics so in my in my opinion it's a "dumb topic".
andyhack Posted - 02/08/2008 : 11:59:27
Leigh - you forgot to add,

"Add lets bring CHANGE to America!" I'm watching too much CNN lately maybe

In my mind, the best player in the NHL right now *, meaning the player I would want on my team more than anyone else, is Jarome Iginla. Vinny would be second. From there I'd debate the value of having a great defenceman like Lidstrom vs. an offensive superstar like Ovie vs. a potential FORCE like Big Joey T (as I have a feeling that one year soon Joe is finally going to break out of his playoff woes). Guys like Zetterberg and Alfie would be up there in the next tier.

* I'm leaving goalies aside and Sid too since he is injured

leigh Posted - 02/08/2008 : 11:21:21
Fellas, it's not a dumb topic at all. That is the point of it. Everyone has their reasons for ranking someone better. The idea behind this discussion is to open up debate and maybe in the process you can change a few minds or be enlightened by someone's point of view. Maybe you didn't think of something in a certain way.

If we narrow it down too far then what is the point of discussing it?
"Who has the most points right now?"
"who is the best goal scorer?"

These topics are not worthy of discussion because the answers are very clear! Stretch your mind you man! Challenge your conventional way of thinking.

semin-rules Posted - 02/08/2008 : 05:51:25
Ps. there should also be an "other" option.
Those seven choices are certainly not all the good players out there.

~~~GO STARS~~~
Datsyuk 1 Posted - 02/07/2008 : 21:48:36
Good point Semin. This is just a dumb topic.
semin-rules Posted - 02/07/2008 : 19:21:57
You cant just say someone is the best becuase they score goals.
bieng the best player on a team could mean ANYTHING.
thats why i generally dislike these kind of topics
becuase they are so open-ended
you need to be mmore specific in your question
maybe who is the best all around player
or who is the best defensive player
asking who the best player is, is just way to big of a question.
thats my rant of the day

~~~GO STARS~~~
Datsyuk 1 Posted - 02/07/2008 : 08:17:13
Why isn't Pavel Datsyuk on that list? He is right up there.
Guest9324 Posted - 02/07/2008 : 06:53:33
Ovechkin is obviously the best player as it stands for the NHL. Sid the Kid is good but not that good! prove me wrong!
Beans15 Posted - 11/25/2007 : 08:46:26
2 wins is a hot streak?? Wow Fly, you are amazing! Can you send my the winning lotto ticket number too???

Lecavalier has 38 points and the Lightning have 74 goals. That's 51%. We'll have to see if this continues, but it's still impressive. Crosby at 48.5% which is pretty sick too!

And to talk about Crosby showing an A or an A+ game, I don't care. I still believe that he is not as valuable to that team than other player are to theirs.

It's not his fault and not a knock against him. I just believe that for the past 20 ish years, the most productive offensive player gets all the hardware. Since the Pearson was first awarded (1970), every year except for 88-89 the same player won 2 of the 3 awards (Hart, Pearson, Art Ross). Doesn't that say something?? It does to me.

And don't kid yourself. The Pearson is voted on by a GROUP of NHL players, not all of them.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page