Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Which fictional team would win?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
irvine Posted - 11/16/2007 : 12:52:58
Which of these two created teams do you think would win?

You can include in your post what you think the score would be in the end. The rules for the game are that of the 2007-2008 NHL Season. It is three, 20 minute periods. No line changes as the teams are that of one line (assuming they could play 20 minute periods.) :) I'm just curious.

Irvine
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
99pickles Posted - 07/05/2008 : 00:27:56
At first glance, I did not even want to respond because I HATE hypotheticals....until I read the criteria...

2007/2008 rules? Eddie Shore??

Done. Shore gets ejected immediately for 1930's style play. Team Gretzky wins.

hockster Posted - 07/04/2008 : 21:05:15
It would be a close matchup,
but team two would be able to work together better and compliment to eachothers abilities.
rross Posted - 11/17/2007 : 06:45:45
I too would have to go with team 1. Gretzky and Orr on the same team gives them the edge. I think there would be a lot of offense with all that talent out there. 6-4 team Gretzky.
irvine Posted - 11/16/2007 : 21:15:51
That is mainly why I did it. I took some of the greatest and paired them up in two teams. Who knows, perhaps two more teams can come in to play of more modern day players. :)

I smell team Crosby VS Team Ovechkin? haha.

Irvine
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/16/2007 : 19:50:19
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

A few people have viewed this post, but not many are responding. To those who have responded, like the post?

Irvine

I personally love "speculation" type threads. It makes a guy think. I like to think at least twice daily.

It provides a nice break from the "Who is better" polls, too.

Spade623 did some major thinking...very impressive.

irvine Posted - 11/16/2007 : 15:24:27
A few people have viewed this post, but not many are responding. To those who have responded, like the post?

Irvine
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/16/2007 : 14:59:38
quote:
Originally posted by spade632

Forwards:

Team Gretzky: The Great One and the Rocket up front. Ted Lindsay is no slouch either. Gretzky would be able to dance through the defence and set up Richard for the goal, or score himself. Lindsay and Richard cover the toughness factor.

Team Lemieux: This line would have no issues on the toughness front. THe Moose and Mr. Hockey take care of that. Also they can put the puck in the net like there's no tomorrow. Number 7, number 2, and number 3 on the all-time points list.

Edge: Team Lemieux

Defense:

Team Gretzky: Orr and Bourque are two of the greatest D-men to play the game. Plus, they were two way players. They can shut the other team down and score the big goals. Bourque is 10th on the all-time points list. Orr would no doubt be up there had his career not been ended so early.

Team Lemieux: Harvey is the epitome of the shutdown defenseman. He didn't put up huge points like Orr or Bourque but he was an integral part of the cup-winning Habs teams in the 50s. He also won seven Norris's in 8 years. Toe Blake called Harvey "the greatest defenseman who ever played hockey - bar none. Shore adds more toughness on the back end.

Edge: Team Gretzky

Goal:

Team Gretzky: Patrick Roy is the winningest goalie of all time. 3 Conn Smythes, 3 Vezinas, 4 Jennings. He is the all-time winningest playoff goalie and has the most playoff shutouts. 4 Cup wins. He has a 2.54 Career GAA regular season and 2.30 in the playoffs

Team Lemieux: Terry Sawchuck is the NHL career shutout leader. 3 Vezinas, 4 Cups. He has a 2.52 CAreer GAA (regular season).

Edge: Even

The Game:

It would definitely be a close one. The stellar goal-tending would keep it that way despite the offensive fire power.

Final: 3-2 OT win for Team Gretzky. They're a bit weaker on offense but the edge on the blueline gives them the win.

Team Gretzky:
Gretzky 1 G, 2A
Richard 1G, 1 A
Orr 1G, 2 A
Bourque 1A

Team Lemieux:

Lemieux 0G, 2A
Howe 1G, 1A
Messier 1G, 1A

Good, thorough answer.

I agree. The two best players of all time (Gretzky and Orr), and the best goalie of all time win in a tight game.

Plus, a Raymond Bourque shot to Sawchuk's face, and that would be all she wrote.
spade632 Posted - 11/16/2007 : 14:18:48
Forwards:

Team Gretzky: The Great One and the Rocket up front. Ted Lindsay is no slouch either. Gretzky would be able to dance through the defence and set up Richard for the goal, or score himself. Lindsay and Richard cover the toughness factor.

Team Lemieux: This line would have no issues on the toughness front. THe Moose and Mr. Hockey take care of that. Also they can put the puck in the net like there's no tomorrow. Number 7, number 2, and number 3 on the all-time points list.

Edge: Team Lemieux

Defense:

Team Gretzky: Orr and Bourque are two of the greatest D-men to play the game. Plus, they were two way players. They can shut the other team down and score the big goals. Bourque is 10th on the all-time points list. Orr would no doubt be up there had his career not been ended so early.

Team Lemieux: Harvey is the epitome of the shutdown defenseman. He didn't put up huge points like Orr or Bourque but he was an integral part of the cup-winning Habs teams in the 50s. He also won seven Norris's in 8 years. Toe Blake called Harvey "the greatest defenseman who ever played hockey - bar none. Shore adds more toughness on the back end.

Edge: Team Gretzky

Goal:

Team Gretzky: Patrick Roy is the winningest goalie of all time. 3 Conn Smythes, 3 Vezinas, 4 Jennings. He is the all-time winningest playoff goalie and has the most playoff shutouts. 4 Cup wins. He has a 2.54 Career GAA regular season and 2.30 in the playoffs

Team Lemieux: Terry Sawchuck is the NHL career shutout leader. 3 Vezinas, 4 Cups. He has a 2.52 CAreer GAA (regular season).

Edge: Even

The Game:

It would definitely be a close one. The stellar goal-tending would keep it that way despite the offensive fire power.

Final: 3-2 OT win for Team Gretzky. They're a bit weaker on offense but the edge on the blueline gives them the win.

Team Gretzky:
Gretzky 1 G, 2A
Richard 1G, 1 A
Orr 1G, 2 A
Bourque 1A

Team Lemieux:

Lemieux 0G, 2A
Howe 1G, 1A
Messier 1G, 1A
willus3 Posted - 11/16/2007 : 14:02:35
Wow! That's a tough choice. I honestly don't know who I'd pick here.
I think it would be a very close game or series. Several reasons.
If there is a guy who could take the puck from Orr it would be Lemieux. He's about the only guy I can think of who would possibly be able to neutralize Orr. Possibly.
The other thing I would say is that Doug Harvey was an unbelievable defenceman. A great skater passer and playmaker who could actually control games.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
irvine Posted - 11/16/2007 : 12:58:51
I would give it to Team 1. I believe with Orr and Bourque on D, Roy in net even with the power of the forwards on team 2, they would be very limited on scoring chances. Having Gretzky and Richard, i'd finalize the score to be 5-2, Team Gretzky.

Irvine

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page