Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Top 30 Post Lockout - Comments

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Posted - 03/04/2008 : 18:18:18
Please post your comments here:

ADMIN EDIT - This comments thread is in reference to this forum topic - http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3691

All aboard the Price bandwagon
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
renemar Posted - 05/29/2008 : 06:34:36
where?

I challenge you to a game of trivia! Click here to battle against me online at XXXXXXXXX. Let's see who's the winner...
https:/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Mod Edit: This is a no Spam Zone. Thanks.
Pasty7 Posted - 04/14/2008 : 18:50:16
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

hey alex i'll need some serious persuadeing to put alfie on this list before i vote for him in the top 10 i really cant see him on this list untill at least 15th..... nothing against him i just feel their are so many deserving players ahead of alfie,, maybe im not seeing this objectivly can you explain to me why you feel he should see top five consideration??

Pasty

First off, look at Ottawa last season, when he took them on his back to the final, as opposed to this season, when he was injured and they are first-round busts. That screams MVP. Not only that, he has not missed a single of their playoff games, makes all around him better, has considerable amount of time on the PK for a forward, due to his intense study of tapes to learn players' patterns and can now win puck races on instinct rather than speed.

Stats wise, he happens to have 103, 87 and 89 points post-lockout. 05-06 he averaged 1 PPG in the playoffs, and 1.1 last year overr a 20 game period.

The Sens hopes lie directly within that man.

Iginla had the one bad season that for me takes him out of contention this round, and Lecavalier is inconsistent by nature. In a three year span, if you can not prove to be consistent, you should wait your turn in my opinion.

"You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week."
-Herb Brooks

but i see your point of how dismal the sens have appeard without alfie in the lineup and he does have solid numbers,, i just saw a equally dismal sens team at the end of this season with or without alfie,, i feel he really isn;t the best captain and he is not everything to his team as a guy like iginla and lecavalier are,,, he is weak natured gets knoked off the puck too much for my taste,,, (unfortunatly i will admit this is a bias on my part,, i like big strong players much more then the skilled) i think if you took him out of the big three he would be a 70 point per year player,,,,, consitently which is still great but,,,,, not top 10 great,,,, or at least not before vinny iggy luongo,,,nash

Pasty
Alex Posted - 04/14/2008 : 17:59:25
quote:

hey alex i'll need some serious persuadeing to put alfie on this list before i vote for him in the top 10 i really cant see him on this list untill at least 15th..... nothing against him i just feel their are so many deserving players ahead of alfie,, maybe im not seeing this objectivly can you explain to me why you feel he should see top five consideration??

Pasty

First off, look at Ottawa last season, when he took them on his back to the final, as opposed to this season, when he was injured and they are first-round busts. That screams MVP. Not only that, he has not missed a single of their playoff games, makes all around him better, has considerable amount of time on the PK for a forward, due to his intense study of tapes to learn players' patterns and can now win puck races on instinct rather than speed.

Stats wise, he happens to have 103, 87 and 89 points post-lockout. 05-06 he averaged 1 PPG in the playoffs, and 1.1 last year overr a 20 game period.

The Sens hopes lie directly within that man.

Iginla had the one bad season that for me takes him out of contention this round, and Lecavalier is inconsistent by nature. In a three year span, if you can not prove to be consistent, you should wait your turn in my opinion.

"You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week."
-Herb Brooks
Pasty7 Posted - 04/14/2008 : 17:43:42

Pasty
Pasty7 Posted - 04/01/2008 : 09:17:54
thanks go stars,,, i hope i'll be able to sway you on huet a lil farther down the list say 25th or so,,,,

but now i would like to make the iginla case....i know he doesn;t have perhaps the same points totals since the lockout as some players but he is i believe the single most valuable player to his team since the lockout,, the guy is the heart and soul of the flames and i believe if you take him out of their lineup the flames plumet ,, he is a brilliant offensive defensive talent and will drop the gloves for any member of his teams defense you have to love his grit and atitude i really want to see him as number 4 on this list

Pasty
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 03/31/2008 : 17:35:46
quote:

i conceed it was a foolish nomination this EARLY in the list,,, Huet deffinetly has his place on this list but you're right when you say no way in the top 3 i deleted my nomination and seconded lidddy

Pasty

Hey at least you put up an argument when Semin Rules voted Modano in the first round without telling why it kind of made me think what the hell he was thinking even when Modano is one my fav players.

Go Stars
Pasty7 Posted - 03/31/2008 : 16:42:50
i conceed it was a foolish nomination this EARLY in the list,,, Huet deffinetly has his place on this list but you're right when you say no way in the top 3 i deleted my nomination and seconded lidddy

Pasty
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 03/31/2008 : 15:51:43
quote:

Guys I think my little tangent kind of backfired, my bad Phaneuf, Lidstrom, Huet and Lecavalier are all nominated and only Brodeur and Crosby are up on the ballot.

We can deal with this in one of two ways. Personally, I feel three guys should be on the ballot, which is why in the actual Top 30 Post Lockout I offered a PickUpHockey member to join the comittee for this round.

If you guys feel that Brodeur and Crosby are realistically the only two NHLers worthy of third spot, which would be justified, tell me and we will just begin the voting.

Take two minutes to join the PickUpHockey Cyber Cup!
http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3820#51395

crosby, brodeur and Lidstrom who i believe is also realistcally worthy.
Huet? Im sorry Pasty you put up a good argument but you cant put him ahead of Brodeur, Luongo, Nabokov, Turco etc.

Go Stars
Alex Posted - 03/31/2008 : 14:09:59
Guys I think my little tangent kind of backfired, my bad Phaneuf, Lidstrom, Huet and Lecavalier are all nominated and only Brodeur and Crosby are up on the ballot.

We can deal with this in one of two ways. Personally, I feel three guys should be on the ballot, which is why in the actual Top 30 Post Lockout I offered a PickUpHockey member to join the comittee for this round.

If you guys feel that Brodeur and Crosby are realistically the only two NHLers worthy of third spot, which would be justified, tell me and we will just begin the voting.

PASTY TOOK BACK HIS VOTE AND NOW WE WILL BE CONDUCTING ROUND THREE VOTING

Pasty7 Posted - 03/30/2008 : 23:10:04
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

Even though he has the 2nd best save % after the lockout how can he be put ahead then the person who actually has the 1st best save %. Guys, QUIT BEING BIASED TOWARDS PLAYERS YOU LIKE AND USE YOUR HEAD AND NOMINATE THE RIGHT PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!

its not bias,, there was another thread where i argued hard on huet's behalf,, he also played for a defensivly handicapped and well very sub par canadiens team the first 2 years post lockout,,, he sees the 7 th most shots of any goalie and stops the 2nd highest percentage of those shots,, in my mind the guy like luongo come well before brodeur on this list,,, brodeur plays for a team that think D first and sees on average 22 shots a game,,, where as roberto and cristo see averages over 30,,,, the fact is Huet played less games because the first two years he was proving himself and this year a young stud took his place,,, if there had never been a carey price huet would have 35 + wins this year

Pasty
leafsfan_101 Posted - 03/30/2008 : 18:10:24
Although Crosby was injured this season, he has still been quite dominant. His PPG is 1.35, .3 lower then Ovechkin's and is hjigher then Thornton's at 1.16. Last season, Crosby had a 1.52, which was higher then anyone else's in the league. Crosby is one of the only players in the NHL to have the ability to make others around him better. He makes Ryan Malone look like a goal scorer.

And there's a debate to whether he should even be in the top 3

Alex Posted - 03/30/2008 : 16:13:56
quote:

Alex I have another question. Why do you think Phaneuf should be rated higher then Crosby, Lidstrom and Brodeur?

I think that he does a lot of things that do not show up on the stats sheet. Not sure if I really would put him higher than those three, or if I was trying to make a statement and try to get people thinking instead of just looking at stats. I would have him over Crosby just because of the injury, Brodeur probably over Phaneuf, Lidstrom I need to do my homework on.

PainTrain Posted - 03/30/2008 : 16:11:07
Alex I have another question. Why do you think Phaneuf should be rated higher then Crosby, Lidstrom and Brodeur?
nashvillepreds Posted - 03/30/2008 : 16:06:25
yeah Alex, Crosby definitely deserves a top three spot.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
PainTrain Posted - 03/30/2008 : 16:03:40
Alex remember this. This is the Top 30 since Post Lockout. The top 30 Best players since the lockout. Crosby is the best player since the lockout.
Alex Posted - 03/30/2008 : 15:59:35
quote:

Alex just tell me why you wouldn't want Crosby on your team after what he did last year? Also I doubt this injury will re-occur. He's been taking a lot of time off to make it healthy. So you're telling me you wouldn't take Bobby Orr on your team because he might get injured but in the years he is on your team he will lead you to the playoffs and win a Stanley Cup? I don't see why you should not have Crosby ranked lower because he missed a season. Look at how high Mike Bossy is on the Pickuphockey top 50 since 1967 list. And he was injured a lot. The season he had last year and the season he had before were amazing and that's why he should be rated at the top 3 NO QUESTION!!!

I do respect what he did, and therefore, I would say he deserves recognition. However, there is still the aspect that we are talking post-lockout, and that is three years. For him, that is only two and a half. You can not deny that this year was dismal. No matter the reason.

Was he the best when he was at his best? Arguably yes. However, messing up on one third of your seasonss does cost you. I would say not necissarily Top 3, but Top 5.

PainTrain Posted - 03/30/2008 : 15:33:53
Alex just tell me why you wouldn't want Crosby on your team after what he did last year? Also I doubt this injury will re-occur. He's been taking a lot of time off to make it healthy. So you're telling me you wouldn't take Bobby Orr on your team because he might get injured but in the years he is on your team he will lead you to the playoffs and win a Stanley Cup? I don't see why you should not have Crosby ranked lower because he missed a season. Look at how high Mike Bossy is on the Pickuphockey top 50 since 1967 list. And he was injured a lot. The season he had last year and the season he had before were amazing and that's why he should be rated at the top 3 NO QUESTION!!!
Alex Posted - 03/30/2008 : 15:27:10
quote:

Even though he has the 2nd best save % after the lockout how can he be put ahead then the person who actually has the 1st best save %. Guys, QUIT BEING BIASED TOWARDS PLAYERS YOU LIKE AND USE YOUR HEAD AND NOMINATE THE RIGHT PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with PainTrain! I think we may being a little biased here. Might I suggest that the criteria for 'best' means we assume the guy has an eighteen year career, and every three year cycle he repeats his performance from 2005-2006 until 2007-2008? Using that criteria, OK, so Crosby had two amazing year. And his third? Would you want a player like that on your team over, say, Thornton, if you knew that his rate of injury was once every three years? It won't be. For the sake of this topic, we need to judge it like it will be. Do you guys see what I mean?

PainTrain Posted - 03/30/2008 : 15:22:08
Alex Posted - 03/30/2008 : 15:17:16
You mentio Huet, saying he has the second best SV% post lockout. That may be true, however, I think there are other things that put big question marks in my mind, to the point where I would wonder whether he truly belongs on this list, let alone third spot!

Might I mention that to date, he has played 127 games since the lockout? That is less than two full seasons! He has only 80 wins in that span -- Brodeur gets more than that in two thirds the amount of seasons!

His breakout year in 2005-2006 was about as good as it gets, in terms of his play, and while he definitely was a Cristo-WALL he does not size up to the others in this topic of Top 30 Post Lockout.

PainTrain Posted - 03/30/2008 : 15:13:19
But can you see Phaneuf over Crosby !!!!??? I still can't get over that!!!!
Pasty7 Posted - 03/30/2008 : 14:53:04
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Sorry, I know I'm not part of this but how is Crosby not 1st? He is the youngest player to ever win the Hart Trophy and dominated the league last year. And to put Phaneuf, Thornton, Lecavalier o anyone before him is an absolute joke. The guy was injured this year and is a leathel force when playing. He should have gone 1st, but 2nd is, and should be, a lock.

thornton has a considerable lead in points over every nhl player since the lockout,, i could easily see thornton ahead of crosby

Pasty
leafsfan_101 Posted - 03/30/2008 : 13:43:56
Sorry, I know I'm not part of this but how is Crosby not 1st? He is the youngest player to ever win the Hart Trophy and dominated the league last year. And to put Phaneuf, Thornton, Lecavalier o anyone before him is an absolute joke. The guy was injured this year and is a leathel force when playing. He should have gone 1st, but 2nd is, and should be, a lock.

PainTrain Posted - 03/29/2008 : 21:58:40
Nick Lidstrom is by far the best D-man since the Post lockout by a long shot!!!!!! In the three years, he should have 3 Norris Trophies and Phaneuf will have 0. How can you even put him higher then Nick Lidstrom!? It makes me sick of even thinking about it!!In my mind, he shouldn't even be the second best D-man. Pronger and Niedermayer should be up higher and they also have a cup ring on their fingers. I won't deny that Phaneuf is a good D-man but he is not higher then those other 3 D-man and he does not deserve the 3rd spot on the list. If it's not Crosby as the 3rd, I will do the honour of leaving this committee with a big happy smile!
Alex Posted - 03/29/2008 : 18:03:51
The guys who would be in if we continued the way we are are Crosby and Lecavalier. Well, Lecavalier has been a story of inconsistence. Some would say he has finally has his 'breakout' year - that would be last year, my friends. he is 2 thirds worthy for the votes, as one of three years that we are looking at, he was no superstar in comparisson to other options.

Crosby has been great, no question at all. Is it fair to put him lower because of an injury? Some would say no. Is it fair to guys like Marty Brodeur, or Dion Phaneuf, or Nicklas Lidstrom, to put him higher? I would say no.

Crosby has only played in the NHL two years and a half, roughly. We all have in engraved in our hockey psyche that he is the 'next' next one, or somewhere along those lines. What if these injuries keep up and he never has a full season again? I am worried. I think consistency defines greatness, to a degree. Crosby will make the list. But third is too early.

In my mind, a number of candidates are worthy, most notably:

Phaneuf
Some would say the next Scott Stevens. Why not? He was a stud from his first game. Largely undershined by co-rookies Ovechkin and Crosby, he does not get the attention that he deserves. Despite his incredible grit, intensity, and ability to turn any play into a dangerous one for opposing teams, he has only missed three career games to date. He also has 49, 50 and 57 (handful of games remaining this season). Pretty consistent. Ha also has no fewer than 93 PIM in each of his three seasons. He logs about 25 minutes of ice time per game, and really is a big part of the Calgary Flames. He gets my vote.

Brodeur
Some put a mini-asterisk near his career stats, saying that he played in front of great D for his whole life. Ya, well the post-lockout Devils were nothing special. Marty proved his worth I would say.

Other notables that I thought of for this round:
Marc Savard
Dany Heatley

Gostarsgo12 Posted - 03/28/2008 : 10:34:56
Ya im back so am i in next round?

Go Stars
PainTrain Posted - 03/24/2008 : 11:11:49
All the posts are deleted. Also I think we could maybe lower it from 30 to 20. If were having trouble getting to 5 it will be hard to get to 30. Just an idea.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 03/23/2008 : 06:39:43
Alex, we are awaiting your vote in Top 20 since 93.

pensfan17 Posted - 03/14/2008 : 21:07:50
I'd fill in and vote if needed.
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 03/14/2008 : 16:31:23
Ya Alex im leaving tommorow for a week so im just letting you know in advance. Just in case a wildcard voter could fill in

Go Stars
Alex Posted - 03/13/2008 : 14:22:12
I was thinking, maybe should we allow a ''wildcard'' voter, just for voting, not for nominating, to vote in the absence of a regular comitte member over a 7 day period?

In such a case, we would make the announcement ''the 7 day period has elapsed. So and so has forfeited their voting rights for this round. Any PickUp Hockey member wishing to participate in voting, for this round only, may do so in order to get the game going''

This would increase the amount of people we get, while maintaining some order, and making sure, for the most part, knoweledgable and appropriate members are in on what matters.

Thoughts?

shinnyafterschool Posted - 03/13/2008 : 06:38:00
quote:

We are waiting on seminrules guys. Anyone hear from him? Any ideas on how to institue a rule to work around this?

Well, As I already mentioned I thought a 7 day max would work well. I'm sure it's been seven days so if we can get the majority to agree lets go ahead with this thing.

"Desire is the most important factor in the success of any athlete. "
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 03/12/2008 : 18:39:47
quote:

We are waiting on seminrules guys. Anyone hear from him? Any ideas on how to institue a rule to work around this?

We could have a certain amount of days to make responses and if you don't respond in time you get kicked out and we have people wanting to get in to play. Might be a little to strict though. However im sure he has just forgot don't kick Semin out, he's a STARS fan.
STARS #1

Go Stars
shinnyafterschool Posted - 03/12/2008 : 06:19:22
Yeah, this may never even get to ten. If every pick takes 7 days, thats 210 days minimum to get the top 30.

HabsBiggestFan Posted - 03/11/2008 : 19:48:09
quote:
Originally posted by shinnyafterschool

I'd say it's still going, I'm sure Semin is a reliable guy. He probably just forgot, hopefully he didn't quit on us. BUT, I really think you should have no more that a week tops to get your voting in once the voting starts, or else people will lose interest fast.

What's happening Alex? Are we still waiting for someone to nominate/put players in order? If we are still waiting when are we going to the 2nd round, if this keeps on it will take years to do this.

"There is a light at the end of every tunnel, just pray it's not a train"
shinnyafterschool Posted - 03/11/2008 : 18:26:52
I'd say it's still going, I'm sure Semin is a reliable guy. He probably just forgot, hopefully he didn't quit on us. BUT, I really think you should have no more that a week tops to get your voting in once the voting starts, or else people will lose interest fast.

Gostarsgo12 Posted - 03/10/2008 : 16:49:49
So is this still happening? It's a great idea but its been quiet around here lately.

Go Stars
willus3 Posted - 03/05/2008 : 18:18:16
I'll pass on this Alex. Thanks anyway. I may throw in a comment or two though...
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 03/05/2008 : 12:56:55
10 sounds good

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 03/05/2008 : 05:38:14
Since we are putting in plugs for our nominations, here is my plug for thornton. He has the most points of anyone since the lockout.
Thornton: 309
Lecavalier: 296
Ovechkin:288
Crosby:286
Jagr:276
Heatley:276
Alfredson:269

*Those point totals are including this years points up to March 4, 2008.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page