Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 City's Who could support a second NHL team?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pasty7 Posted - 03/07/2008 : 13:25:23
New york basicly has three teams NYI NYR and NJD do you think there are any other cities that could support a second NHL team?

Pasty
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Pasty7 Posted - 03/09/2008 : 15:28:27
quote:
[i]Originally posted by HabsBiggestFan[/i]
[br]

i didn;t even think of that but yeah they could call themselves the quebec nordiques but refering to the province not the city,,, a lot of french canadians in quebec still buy nordiques jersey's they're pretty easy to find i myself a couple years back bought a joe sakic nordique jersey they sell them all over the place here,,,,, i agree toronto could do it,, aswell as montreal,,, because you dont have to look so much at population or size of the city but the amount of people you can put in the seats,,, sure mtl isn;t very big compared to most of the worlds cities but,,, one thing people either forget or dont realize mtl has the south shore which include 20 or so minor cities such as brossard longeuil varrens chateauguay st jean all these minor cities are only 10 minutes max from downtown montreal,,,, plus you hav to look at the amount of people who love hockey and want to see world class hockey,,... sure the habs would still be my team but hell yess i would go see nhl hockey in montreal even if it wasn;t my habs playing!

Pasty
[/quote]
Hey Pasty I thought you said that since Huet got traded you weren't a Montreal fan anymore...Anyways, my take on this is that maybe Toronto could take another team (great! not another rival). But why wouldn't someone start a team in a big city where there has never been an NHL team (i.e. New Orleans, Kansas City, Memphis etc.) But if you would have to start it in a city that already has an NHL team I would go with either Toronto or on the eastern seabord (New York, Boston) all those big cities that have huge populations.

"There is a light at the end of every tunnel, just pray it's not a train"
[/quote]

mostly i was blowing hot air,,, i still love komisarek higgens pleakanec hammerilk and well pretty much most of the habs team,,,,, oh i am pissed they traded huet but i cant help loving my team.... though i am now likeing the caps more and more!

Pasty
HabsBiggestFan Posted - 03/09/2008 : 13:35:00
[/quote]

i didn;t even think of that but yeah they could call themselves the quebec nordiques but refering to the province not the city,,, a lot of french canadians in quebec still buy nordiques jersey's they're pretty easy to find i myself a couple years back bought a joe sakic nordique jersey they sell them all over the place here,,,,, i agree toronto could do it,, aswell as montreal,,, because you dont have to look so much at population or size of the city but the amount of people you can put in the seats,,, sure mtl isn;t very big compared to most of the worlds cities but,,, one thing people either forget or dont realize mtl has the south shore which include 20 or so minor cities such as brossard longeuil varrens chateauguay st jean all these minor cities are only 10 minutes max from downtown montreal,,,, plus you hav to look at the amount of people who love hockey and want to see world class hockey,,... sure the habs would still be my team but hell yess i would go see nhl hockey in montreal even if it wasn;t my habs playing!

Pasty
[/quote]
Hey Pasty I thought you said that since Huet got traded you weren't a Montreal fan anymore...Anyways, my take on this is that maybe Toronto could take another team (great! not another rival). But why wouldn't someone start a team in a big city where there has never been an NHL team (i.e. New Orleans, Kansas City, Memphis etc.) But if you would have to start it in a city that already has an NHL team I would go with either Toronto or on the eastern seabord (New York, Boston) all those big cities that have huge populations.

"There is a light at the end of every tunnel, just pray it's not a train"
Pasty7 Posted - 03/09/2008 : 13:14:11
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

Pasty.....You are probably right. Montreal would be in a similar situation as Toronto I would think? They could reincarnate the Nordiques which I think would go over really well in Montreal. I think the interest is there for sure and the population base should be large enough to cover.

Pasty
Antroman Posted - 03/08/2008 : 21:19:36
Pasty.....You are probably right. Montreal would be in a similar situation as Toronto I would think? They could reincarnate the Nordiques which I think would go over really well in Montreal. I think the interest is there for sure and the population base should be large enough to cover.
Pasty7 Posted - 03/08/2008 : 20:44:43
why not montreal?? of course they would never get the love and devotion of montreal ,, but in montreal it is next to impossible to get tickets to a habs game so i think fans who cant see the habs would still like to see nhl hockey and the new franchise would still sell a higher percentage of seats then the rest of the nhl!

Pasty
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 03/08/2008 : 04:48:40
Beans. Of coarse they look at Facility, Ownership and the money situation before investing in a new team. But, you cant say that the NHL does not take a look at size of a cities population before they are going to look for stable ownership.

Why would they invest in a city that does not have a large enough fanbase. I am sure that they look at those crudentials before looking for appropriate management.

As for the Raleigh situation. The Carolina Hurricanes are, yes, located in Raleigh. But,dont forget that North Carolina is not a huge state for a population of about 10 million. That is most likely why they are not called the Raleigh Hurricanes. When naming the team, they were trying to possibly open it up to the whole state.

Beans15 Posted - 03/07/2008 : 20:08:43
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

I definetely dont think that Edmonton or Calgary could support another city.

They are two almost identical populations with a little over a million people respectively. Population and size of land are probably two main components that the NHL look at when establishing a new franchise.

The NHL looks at more than population, and size of land has nothing to do with anything. Here is what the NHL has proven in the past to be concerned about regarding a team being moved or expansion occuring.

1) Corporate Money
2) Stable Ownership
3) Facility
4) Population

And they are in that order.

By the way, looking at a play like Raleigh. They have only a population of 275,000 people.
Antroman Posted - 03/07/2008 : 19:54:18
Toronto for sure. Leaf tickets are as hard to come by as a goldfish in a shark tank. They would fill two arenas no problem at all. The Leafs not only draw from the city itself but from all over Southern Ontario. A little price war on tickets might be a good thing as well but the two teams would probably collute just like the banks, insurance companies and the petroleum industries in this country and continue right on gouging us. I can't wait until the new cadmium battery cars take over in the not too distant future and those places like Alberta reverts back to the dust bowl days. I don't think they will be able to support one team out there after that. You can't say that they don't have it coming to them?
Guest8815 Posted - 03/07/2008 : 19:30:25
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

quote:
Originally posted by Guest8815

That's a good question as we probably have the biggest majority of true fans so it could be hard for fans to break away from the Oilers to go to another team. However like any city there are the band wagon jumpers and all-hype fans who could probably support it.

That is a good point about all the banwagon jumpers and all the hype that would surround this new team.

I just dont think that with a historic team such as the Oilers and a reletively small city compared to others in the NHL, that a new franchise could live up to all the hype that would surround it.

Ya I kind of jumped the gun before really thinking about it. The population probably isn't big enough for 2 successful franchises.
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 03/07/2008 : 19:28:33
quote:

That's a good question as we probably have the biggest majority of true fans so it could be hard for fans to break away from the Oilers to go to another team. However like any city there are the band wagon jumpers and all-hype fans who could probably support it.

That is a good point about all the banwagon jumpers and all the hype that would surround this new team.

I just dont think that with a historic team such as the Oilers and a reletively small city compared to others in the NHL, that a new franchise could live up to all the hype that would surround it.

Guest8815 Posted - 03/07/2008 : 19:20:57
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 03/07/2008 : 18:16:24
quote:

LRP as a fellow Oiler follower I can say without a doubt in my mind we could have 2 teams. Just recently we had our 100th consecutive sellout! Tell me another city that has done that. Yes since we have only about a million people they may not be selling out but there definitely would be enough tickets sold.

My question to you now 8815 is.... Can Edmonton fans cheer for any other team besides their beloved Oilers, especially another team in the same city?

Guest8815 Posted - 03/07/2008 : 18:00:53
LRP as a fellow Oiler follower I can say without a doubt in my mind we could have 2 teams. Just recently we had our 100th consecutive sellout! Tell me another city that has done that. Yes since we have only about a million people they may not be selling out but there definitely would be enough tickets sold.
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 03/07/2008 : 13:34:44
I definetely dont think that Edmonton or Calgary could support another city.

They are two almost identical populations with a little over a million people respectively. Population and size of land are probably two main components that the NHL look at when establishing a new franchise.

Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 03/07/2008 : 13:28:25
I definetely think that Toronto could support another franchise without a question. It is one of the biggest cities in North America. It also has has a huge fan base.

With the Leafs not doing so hot in the last couple of seasons, i think the Toronto hockey community would gladly welcome a new team with open arms.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page