Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Offense gets the glory, defense wins championships

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Posted - 03/09/2008 : 09:17:11
Plain and simple, this grinds my gears. First of all, who says offense gets all the glory? Might I ask who was the story of the 2007 cup run? A defense, Scott Niedermayer. 2006? Cam Ward. Remember Patrick Roy and Brodeur and Dryden? In fact, the year Jersey won, a goalie on THE OTHER team, JS Giguere, nabbed the Conn Smythe!

Now, secondly, who says defense wins championships? What if you have great D and no offense? Or what if the score is tied the whole game because of great D on your part. They could get one lucky bounce and win the game, just because you had no offence to couple up with the defence.

Sure, it is harder to win 1-0 consistently than 5-4. But come on, defense clearly is just as important as offence. It may be more rare and hard to attain, but obviously they are both equal in the end of the day.

You get more goals than the other team, you win. It does not matter if they scored 1 or 15 as long as you scored more. As far as I know, that is the way the game is played!

Someone want to explain to me what I am missing, in theory?

All aboard the Price bandwagon
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 03/10/2008 : 01:08:52
I believe this started as a football analogy that some hope feeds it self to every other sport.

Here is the theory I think wins NHL championships

1 Great Scoring line + 1 decent scoring line + one solid checking line +3 warm bodies to keep the bench warm + 4 above average defensemen + 2 normal defensemen to keep the 3 warm bodies company + one above average (or at least playing above average goalie) =

Stanley Cup

What I am saying is that most often a team needs to be solid on both sides of the puck to win Cups. The only team I can think of that did very well being fairly one dimensional were the 80's Oilers. Maybe the early 90's Penguins. Other than that, most every other Stanley Cup champed played great hockey on both sides of the puck.
Alex Posted - 03/09/2008 : 13:47:43
It's a saying I hear all the time at the rink. I don't know how to conduct a search to verify its actual use. But more or less, that is the general idea out there.

If you do a google search, this site is the first to pop up which isn't very credible to me.

But I'm sure someone can back me up; I hear this at school in gym, at camp, at hockey practice... they even made a kids shirt out of it.

All aboard the Price bandwagon
OILINONTARIO Posted - 03/09/2008 : 13:41:39
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Plain and simple, this grinds my gears. First of all, who says offense gets all the glory?

Now, secondly, who says defense wins championships?

Did you not name this forum?

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2009.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page