Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Greatest Single Game Performance You Ever Saw

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tbar Posted - 03/12/2008 : 07:03:20
What is the greatest single game performance from any player in any game you ever watched live or on telivision. Im curious to see what some of the older guys say on this.

27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nashvillain Posted - 03/24/2008 : 09:23:35
It was Tgnutt. I don't know why I remembered it as Fiset. They actually did a little profile of it during the Canucks/Wild game last week, i guess it must have been an anniversary. Thanks for fixing my mistake.

quote:
Originally posted by CaliforniaSeal

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Nashvillain

I remember Stephane Fiset stopped 70 shots once while playing for the Nordiques. That earned Quebec a 3-3 tie. For some reason I'll never forget that.

I thought that was Ron Tugnutt.

It was Tugnutt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EHJ99HSVhM

No cup for Dino, what a shame

Guest9840 Posted - 03/19/2008 : 08:24:09
One the only awesome moments I was ever at an event for was another Raptor great. The Mar 2005 game against the 76ers when Donyell Marshall tied the NBA record for 3s in a game (with 12 of 19), it was pretty awesome, it was like he couldn't miss in the second half... He totally could've taken the record, but he was unselfish with the ball and dished to Jalen a bunch of times, as he racked up the 3s as well. What a game...

I also remember being at a Jays game in the 80's or early 90's when Glen Allen Hill hit a grandslam and the Jays still lost... funny how that stuck in my memory...

It's funny someone mentioned Austrian Skiers, I remember the 1998 winter olympics for Maier's unbelievable crash, he cartwheeled through like 4 fences and then won 2 Gold medals in the next 7 days or so... that was unbelievable and unforgettable

On TV there's just too many buzzer shots, OT goals, golden goals, home runs and incredible individual performances to name...
Guest9702 Posted - 03/19/2008 : 06:24:21
This sort of question makes me wish I had a better memory, but here goes. #1 has to be Sittler having that golden game, everything he touched was charmed. No way that record falls since Gretzky couldn't do it in those amazing offense first days of hockey!!
And funny enough (same as a few others here), that playoff run with Gilmour in charge was just intense, he was such a tough player and with Andreychuk in the slot and Dougie buzzing all around the net it was great entertainment even though every game was like 1-0 or 2-1. Tough loss in the end (totally robbed too, so glad Gretzky didn't take Sit's record). Best part was that even though we lost Dougie won the hockey pool for me that year :)
Datsyuk 1 Posted - 03/19/2008 : 01:00:58
I would have to say when Mario Lemieux got 5 goals in 5 different situations although I actually didn't see it.

Good defense is good offense!
CaliforniaSeal Posted - 03/18/2008 : 21:08:30
quote:

quote:

I remember Stephane Fiset stopped 70 shots once while playing for the Nordiques. That earned Quebec a 3-3 tie. For some reason I'll never forget that.

It was Tugnutt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EHJ99HSVhM

CaliforniaSeal Posted - 03/18/2008 : 21:07:07
The best performance I ever saw was during the the 1881 semi finals between Calgary and Minnesota. Rookie sensation Brad Palmer who I watched in Victoria was all over the ice in that game. Hitting the body, making great plays, hard forechecking but it wasn't until late through the third when he wound up and let a blistering slapshot go past the Calgary netminder to tie the game. I had never seen a harder shot. The commentator remarked that the shot almost went through the net. Little did he know how much how psychic that comment was. About 2 minutes later Brad Palmer skated up the ice and let another howitzer go. This one went straight through the net. The North Stars were on their way to their first Stanley Cup Final.

CaliforniaSeal Posted - 03/18/2008 : 20:55:01
quote:

n/a Posted - 03/17/2008 : 12:21:17
Yeah, little Nicky's o/t goal against Detroit was prety awesome as well, a close second to Gilmour's goal. Also up there, and definitely not a Leaf memory, is Canada's gold medal winning game against the US, final score: 5-2. What a tense, exciting game that was! The pass (by Pronger) through the legs of Lemieux to Kariya . . . Iggy's two goals . . . singing of Oh Canada for the final minute . . . great Canadian hockey moment.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Antroman Posted - 03/17/2008 : 11:16:16
Hey Slozo, We must be somewhat joined at the hip or somethin'. Those hockey and baseball moments are etched in my mind as well. I was at the Jimmy Key game in 1992 and we yelled our lungs out through the whole game. Like every pitch we were yelling in order to make as much noise as humanly possible. It was awesome and what a way for Key to pitch his last game of his Bluejay career. I was hoarse for two days which made everyone I know happy. I remember that Gilmour goal as well and it still gives me a chill when I see it. The other memorable one was Borchevsky scoring the winner which knocked Detroit out of the playoffs. Pretty heady stuff alright.
n/a Posted - 03/17/2008 : 10:49:34
For hockey, the single-greatest performance I ever saw live was the goal by Dougie Gilmour against Cujo and St. Louis, in double overtime, to win it 1-0. Sounds strange, since it was just one goal by arguably the best all-around offensive player the Leafs ever had; but he was just awesome that whole game, along with the goalies. And in overtime, everyone just knew that Gilmour would be a part of it if it was for Toronto . . . he'd been robbed blind a few times already, he had already made at least four amazing passes for tap-in goals that never made it, and he was hitting and bumping and backchecking everywhere. He had a lot of skill and talent, but more amazing than that, he had a ton of heart. Behind the goal . . . goes for the wraparound, no! turns left, stops . . . turns left, turns right, turns left, comes around right, SCORES!I'll never forget that goal.

Best sporting moment outside of hockey? A few with the Jays . . . I was in the Skydome at the very first World Series game in Canada and outside the states. I still have the ticket. I was at the amazing game where the Jays came back to win a World Series by a record score of 16-14, and saw the WS triple play that never got called. I was also at the incredible World Series game a year later, when Joe Carter hit the home run in the ninth to win it all . . . out of all three, it's hard to pick one, but I suppose it has to go to Carter's home run heroics.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
andyhack Posted - 03/13/2008 : 06:30:46
For hockey I just have an obscure one. It was Peter Forsberg in a mid-season game in Buffalo that I went to with some buddies nine years ago. I think his numbers for the game were all right (maybe a goal and two assists). But, at a live game anyway, that was IT for me - I have never seen a player more totally involved each shift. There were four of us watching and as each shift went by, we realized that the guy was totally possessed that night and that we were really getting our money's worth for the drive to Buffalo, the tickets we bought from some guy on the street and all the chicken wings we consumed that day. He was just awesome - particularly in his "feistiness" - bumping everything - offensively AND defensively all over the place. That game goes down nowhere in history, but I really think it was one of those rare jewels of a performance that we were priviliged to see.

As for outside of hockey, John McEnroe's 1984 Wimbledon final against Jimmy Connors ranks for me as the closest I have ever seen a sports figure come to perfection in his sport on a very big stage. Against a guy who was of course far from a slouch, McEnroe won 6-1, 6-1, 6-2 in about 80 minutes. More importantly, and I think this stat goes a little under the radar historically speaking, in the whole match McEnroe made TWO, I'll repeat that, TWO, unforced errors!

I think overall in his career (particularly in the second half of the 80s) he underperformed, but on that July 1984 day against Connors, I think Johnny Mac may very well have put on the most flawless display by a sports figure in a game ever.

ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 03/13/2008 : 04:49:34
They are a lot deeper than last year and they have more depth. IF Bargnani can get his butt off the floor and start grabbing some rebounds, i think they have a legimitate chance, at least to surprise people. But for them to do well, Ford will have to return to his normal playing and Bosh will just have to play incredible!

quote:
Originally posted by Gostarsgo12

quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

That was a sick game! except i'm a raps fan so i am kinda glad i wasn't there!

quote:

Mine would be in basketball i was at the game when Kobe scored 81 points against raps.

Go Stars

yeah im a raps fan to, do you think they have any chance this year? There pretty inconsistent

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.

Go Stars

Brett Hull.
Guest4043 Posted - 03/12/2008 : 22:58:50
not hockey related. But when Ben Johnson won the 100m (before he tested positive for roids) was one of the most amazing canadian sporting moments in history. Then within a day it was the most shameful
Guest0956 Posted - 03/12/2008 : 22:50:46
I was at game 6 in 94 for the Canucks. As a Vancouver fan those playoffs were the best we've had. I also saw Michael d***erson(played for the lakers and then the griz) reach the +50 point mark in overtime with a fade away jumper for the game winning shot.

But by far the best games I've ever been to were France '98 and '00 when they won the World Cup and the Euro. I can't begin to describe it.
Antroman Posted - 03/12/2008 : 21:32:03
The most fantastic thing I ever seen was Franz Klammer winning the men's downheal sking event in the 1976 Olympics in Austria. Klammer was the local hero and this Olympics was held in his home country and he was the last skier of the event. The previous guy had set the record for the fastest run ever on this hill. I think his name was Rossi. Klammer knew that the whole country was watching and cheering for him and that in order to win he was going to have to ski the race of his life. The buildup was fantastic and the tension could be felt by everyone watching. Klammer left the gates like a man possessed and charged down that hill totally out of control with the crowd screaming and the announcers screaming, Klammer up on one ski a couple of times and virtually risking his life in order to win that gold medal for his country folk. And win the gold, he did. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my life. His reckless abandonment and a win at all costs komakazi run down that mountain was absolutely exhilerating. I had goosebumps and tears in my eyes as did probably everyone there when the time flashed up on the board as he crossed the finish line. It was amazing and the most totally unforgetable sporting thing that I have ever seen.
99pickles Posted - 03/12/2008 : 20:11:19
quote:
Originally posted by MarkhamMax

I was watching the game the night Darryl Sittler racked up 10 points. That was an amazing night for me as a kid.

"Take two pucks to the head and call me in the morning".

I used to have that game on audio cassette, my uncle taped the game on a tape-recorder of all things. It is long gone though.
MarkhamMax Posted - 03/12/2008 : 20:03:39
I was watching the game the night Darryl Sittler racked up 10 points. That was an amazing night for me as a kid.

"Take two pucks to the head and call me in the morning".
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 03/12/2008 : 18:34:40
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

quote:

Mine would be in basketball i was at the game when Kobe scored 81 points against raps.

Go Stars

yeah im a raps fan to, do you think they have any chance this year? There pretty inconsistent

Brett Hull.

Go Stars
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 03/12/2008 : 18:33:14
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

quote:

Go Stars

Wow you were actually at the game when Kobe dropped 81??

Yeah it was amazing I have to say it was the best sporting event i ever went to. You know I like to follow hockey but to watch NBA it beats watching regular season hockey, not playoff though. Don't know if this will sit well with other members.

Go Stars
tbar Posted - 03/12/2008 : 11:07:44
last 2 are mine dont know why i wasnt loged in.
Guest6406 Posted - 03/12/2008 : 11:06:11
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6406

the best game i was ever at would have to be the last game the jets ever played in the Peg. They lost but it was awsome after the game people locked themselves to the posts not wanting to leave.

Patrick Roy probably had one of the best games i ever saw on tv in the 96 playoffs he had around 60 saves and won in triple OT.

I forgot to log in this was my post.
Guest6406 Posted - 03/12/2008 : 09:50:54
the best game i was ever at would have to be the last game the jets ever played in the Peg. They lost but it was awsome after the game people locked themselves to the posts not wanting to leave.

Patrick Roy probably had one of the best games i ever saw on tv in the 96 playoffs he had around 60 saves and won in triple OT.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 03/12/2008 : 09:45:54

quote:

Go Stars

Brett Hull.
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 03/12/2008 : 09:08:51
quote:

Go Stars

Wow you were actually at the game when Kobe dropped 81??

99pickles Posted - 03/12/2008 : 09:01:34
quote:

great pick...do you remember the Boston bench applauded him? I think Ray Bourque had 19 shots in that game too.

I seem to recall the 5-goal games...Zhamnov, Fedorov and now Gaborik.

And I seem to recall the blowouts. I watched the game where Calgary killed Toronto 12-2 (in 89/90)and Dana Murzyn of all people got a hat-trick. Afterwards he said that he had never even scored a hat-trick in street hockey, let alone on the ice, in his career.

I was at a game at MLG in TO (in 93/94?) where the leafs beat the visiting Jets 10-2. Strangely, as a child I remember a game where the Jets crushed Toronto 10-2. I remember being very angry at the Leafs over that game. That was one of the nights, I'm sure, that removed the blue and white from my blood (and I eventually became a fan of the underdog Flames)

I was also at the Joe in Detroit when The Leafs were playing one night in the late 80's. I believe it was the 1st half of a home-and-home so the Leafs called up a then-unknown Tie Domi who ended up getting something like 27 PIM's in the game. I believe the Leafs lost a close one that night, but it was an awesome game!

It's strange what things you do and don't remember. Great question, tbar.
Nashvillain Posted - 03/12/2008 : 08:20:05
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 03/12/2008 : 07:12:23

Go Stars

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page