Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The Great Debate- Comments

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 03/17/2008 : 16:47:49
I was pondering ideas for a new topic when this came across me and I thought that we could give it a shot if people are interested.

My game/topic/whatever you want to call it is called The Great Debate.

The platform is that I am thinking that we have 16 forum members similar to LF_94's platform for his trivia game.

RULES:

- A strictly hockey topic is submitted, after a topic is chosen, 2 members will debate upon this topic.
- A vote will be taken by other members of the game to decide the winner of each round.
- The format that is included will be the same as that of the NHL Playoffs. So winner goes on to the next round and so forth.
- Every vote must be casted based on facts by the member and not seigneurity of the Member.

This is surely a work in progress. I am open to all suggestions of how to make this better and how it will be set up. But for now, I would also like to see who would be interested in doing this. I have some members in mind that I would for sure like to join. If this means not letting some people, then I am very sorry. But anyone is welcome to give some feedback and comments.

Members:
Leafs Rock Planet
Alex
99Pickles
Leafsfan_101
Beans15
Ethan
Bradthebaddad
Shinnyafterschool
OILINONTARIO
Paintrain
Patchy

Waiting List:

40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
OILINONTARIO Posted - 04/29/2008 : 13:32:01
No problem. I will choose to debate the opinion that fighting does have a place in hockey. Let me know when we can begin, and who is going first.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2009.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 04/29/2008 : 11:56:10
Hey everyone. Okay, I will start this debate soon, but we will wait until next week to start this. Beans and SuperSakic's debate is in full swing, so if you haven't seen it yet go ahead and check it out.

As an aside, LRP emailed me to say that he is on a school trip and cannot post on a debate for this week. Therefore he would like to ask OIL to decide which side he feels most comfortable with and he can have it. He said he wanted to get this going.

To all who wonder how he got my email, it is in the EA Sports vs. 2k Sports topic thread.

So OIL, it's your board. You have a week to decide which side you would like so take your time.

I would like to happily announce that LRP and Oil's debate is the last one of the 1st round. Congrats to the Great Debate
OILINONTARIO Posted - 04/27/2008 : 12:53:39
I'm in for either side of the fighting debate. Ready when you are, LRP.

leafsfan_101 Posted - 04/26/2008 : 07:54:36
You guys can pick which one both of you would prefer.

Option 1: Bigger NHL Nets

Option 2: Fighting in Hockey

And as a side note, sorry Alex but your debate will have to be cancelled due to the fact Paintrain can't compete. If another patricipant joins then you can still be in it. I think the more people the better, so another member is welcome. But if no memmber, no debate for you.

But please, still vote on the debates as you have a say in deciding the Mater Debator of Pickuphockey.

Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 04/26/2008 : 07:03:24
I am ready. Whats the topic going to be?

leafsfan_101 Posted - 04/26/2008 : 05:08:44
Ohh, ok then so Paintrain and Alex's debate will have to be terminated.

Waiting to hear in from OILINONTARIO and LRP so I can get their debate rolling.

PainTrain Posted - 04/22/2008 : 17:20:43
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm gonna have to pass on this one. I'm really busy with homework lately and I just don't have the time, I will still try to get on as much as I can to post on the Top 20 since 93, top 30 since lockout and top 50 since 67 threads. And I'll also read to make my vote in the debates, but as of now I don't have time to be in a debate. Don't worry LF101 I lost fair and square, you guys think he did better then I did and I respect that so don't worry of having to give me a second chance. Good Luck to all!
leafsfan_101 Posted - 04/22/2008 : 13:46:36
No time limit, but make it reasonable. I think 3 days should be ample time to get it in. And, from my debate with Alex, I think you can pretty much do whatever you think is best for your topic in terms of post length. Alex had very long posts and mine were shorter and more direct.

Needless to say it's your discretion, but I would try and keep posts not to short but enough so that you get your point across effectivly. If it gets too long and the meaning of the post is lost then you will most likely end up losing the debate.

SuperSakic Posted - 04/22/2008 : 13:34:17
Is there a time limit for posts? Or a min/max length of posts?
OILINONTARIO Posted - 04/22/2008 : 13:13:53
Don't care much for the "bigger nets" topic, but I'm in. I'll take whichever side LRP doesn't want.

leafsfan_101 Posted - 04/22/2008 : 12:49:02
Beans, I substituted Patchy for SuperSakic because Patchy's last post was April 6. SuperSakic has been inserted in Patchy's place, and therefore Beans and SuperSakic will debate NHL PLayers at the Olympics.

Beans and SuperSakic's debate thread will be up immediatly. SS has the 1st post, and will be debating the Benefits of Having NHL Players at the Olympics. Beans will be doing the opposite.

When the remaining debaties post here for confirmation their debate thread will be started by me.

Happy Debating!

leafsfan_101 Posted - 04/22/2008 : 12:40:35
Rules:
1). 3 posts per person on their desired topic
2). NO POSTING IN THE DEBATE THREAD OTHER THEN THE DEBATIES
3). Once all posts are done by the people debating, the members (including ones that have already been eliminated) will vote on who made thier points better and to the point. No bias on the topic or using your own personal opinion, just what was discussed in the thread.
4). This continues until we have a winner, Pickuphockey.com's "Master Debator".

Hope that clears it up.

SuperSakic Posted - 04/22/2008 : 10:41:03
I guess this means that I am a member?

Ok, I don't mind taking the pro side of the olympics debate, as I am sure my own personal feelings will come into it.

Can someone tell me what the rules are?
OvertimeMark11 Posted - 04/22/2008 : 09:40:57
yeah that would be really good
Beans15 Posted - 04/22/2008 : 04:28:36
Let's get things rolling. Patchy, you can pick your side and make the first post.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 04/22/2008 : 04:16:29
When I say NHL's Economic Model I mean benefits/concerns about the salary cap, new rules, ect. I think that it's too broad a topic, so I'll narrow it down for later rounds.

Alex said he is fine with doing fighting, and Beans, if SuperSakic is okay with it, you guys will be doing NHL players and the Olympics. I just switched it around

So Beans - SuperSakic = NHL players at the Olympics

Alex - Paintrain = Fighting in the NHL

Comments would be appreciated.

Beans15 Posted - 04/21/2008 : 20:00:23
I'd be willing to argue the economic model with a little more detail to the question. Are you talking about the CBA/Salary Cap model to attempt to keep parity in the league or are you talking about the Economic Marketing Strategy of the NHL as a whole??? Two totally different things that could be misinterpreted.

I would prefer the Olympic debate, but I really don't care. I just want to get this thing going.

This was a seriously good idea but I think it lost a lot of steam. There were a number of people that could and would have got involved if it flowed a little better.

Let's salvage what we can from this and getting rolling!!
Alex Posted - 04/21/2008 : 19:36:01
No ways my thirteen years will be enough to carry me through that! I hardly understand what the topic means!

I lost my debate. If you want to put me back in, believe me I am raring to go, having learned a lot from the Crosby vs. Ovechkin one! But I can't do that topic.

If you are willing to change the topic I would greatly appreciate If not, then count me out for this one...

EDIT: Ideas for debates

Salary Cap
New NHL Schedule
Two line pass
All Star Game: new vs. old (Skills competition, at least one guy from every team...)
Instigators: Do they have a place in hockey?
Gretzky vs. Lemieux / Roy vs. Brodeur / Oilers of 80s vs Habs of 70s vs Islanders of 80s
leafsfan_101 Posted - 04/21/2008 : 19:31:10
Updated Bracket:

Paintrain
99pickles(advancing)

OILINONTARIO
Leafs Rock Planet

Leafsfan_101 (advancing)
Alex

SuperSakic
Beans15

**WILDCARD**
Paintrain
Alex

Okay, this takes out 4 spots with Keith, Bleeding Blue and White, Brad and Ethan. So the above is updated. I also had an idea of adding a "wildcard' spot, with Alex and Paintrain filling up that matchup. Both (well Paintrain) had a raw deal and I think hey should have a second chance.

So the above is the updated matchups.

OIL & LRP are going to be debating on the idea of bigger nets and SuperSakic & Beans will be doing a debate about if fighting still has a spot in hockey. All of this is, of course, pending that both sides like the topic and both feel comfortable debating the opposite side of their opponent.

The Wildcard Debate will feature Paintrain and Alex and will be about.....The NHL's Economic Model. Have fun and tell me what you all think.

BradTheBadDad Posted - 04/21/2008 : 19:06:35
Sorry guys, gonna have to drop out. So will Keith and Ethan if I'm not mistaken. We all are in the same playoff pool at work and started having fun on this site during work hours Boss caught on and now internet is strictly monitored starting next week. Don't think we'll be able to play... unless from home. But I'm out and I think they will be too. Really sorry for the inconvenience.

''Eat. Sleep. Hockey''
Beans15 Posted - 04/20/2008 : 15:30:01
I will let SuperSakic decide what side he would like to debate. It really doesn't matter to me. I have opinions both ways.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 04/19/2008 : 18:11:08
I'll take the hit, and argue against the latest CBA, if that's cool with BradTheBadDad.

Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 04/19/2008 : 14:13:26
Yes. Me and LF101 have been communicating Via. email and we both think that it would be best if he takes over. His and my knowledge of the game are almost identical but I feel that this topic would be better of run by him. I will still participate in this, debate, follow and comment regularly. Just think of this as a change of management.

Take it away LF101.

leafsfan_101 Posted - 04/19/2008 : 14:05:10
I hope LRP doesn't mind but I'll take over from here. We will do, as Beans said, 2 arguments at a time. The next arguments are:

Beans vs. SuperSakic
Topic = NHL players and the Olympics

OILINONTARIO vs. BradTheBadDad
Topic = NHL's Economic Model

Tell me how you like these topics, and which side of the argument you like. If both want the same side then a new topic will be chosen. If neither like the topic a new topic will be chosen.

OILINONTARIO Posted - 04/19/2008 : 13:51:18
Let's get going! As Beans said, do at least two at a time. This thread is really slowing down, and in danger of becoming extinct.

Beans15 Posted - 04/19/2008 : 07:35:26
Here are a couple of debates of the top of my head:

1) NHL Discipline.
2) The Salary Cap.
3) Bigger Nets
4) Smaller Goalie Pads
5) Low Scoring vs. High Scoring.
6) Delay of game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass.
7) The Shoot out
8) 3 Point Games (2 for win, 1 for OT loss)
9) NHL Schedule
10) CBC's visable Leafs Bias.

I'm sure there are more.
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 04/19/2008 : 04:36:25
I would surely/gladly take any requests regarding the debate topics.

OILINONTARIO Posted - 04/18/2008 : 17:57:07
If you are having trouble thinkig of topics, as I said before, I'm sure you could get a lot of help from forum members.

Beans15 Posted - 04/18/2008 : 12:11:13
Who's up next??

LRP, could I suggest that we get more than one going at the same time?? I am just thinking that the ball got rolling on this a month ago and we are through just two debates. As we know, after the playoffs, the traffic to the site slows considerably.

I would think we want to get this done before the end of the playoffs.

SuperSakic Posted - 04/18/2008 : 07:53:32
Hey LRP, can I be a member?
andyhack Posted - 04/16/2008 : 17:15:06
Thanks, I appreciate the offer, but I think it would be better to give the spot to someone else. I wouldn't want you to hold a spot for me and then have to pull out again (that scenario happening probably has a higher than 50% chance).
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 04/16/2008 : 16:04:55
I am confused. I am now pretty sure that there is one vacancy still remaining. There are just so many people wanting in. But, I still think there is one vacancy.

Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 04/16/2008 : 14:32:14
If you have time Andy, I would gladly like to submit you back into this thing?

Bleeding Blue and White Posted - 04/16/2008 : 14:00:46
Two things I must take care of.

1). My vote- Because I am a member of this panel and my vote counts towards the final standing, I am going to make my vote count. Which is why I vote......LF_101.

I voted for him simply because of organization and length. LF_101's posts combatted everything Alex said and added more. Alex's posts were very long and I lost the meaning of his post. LF_101's were shor, sweet and to the point. This had nothing to do with if I like Ovie more. It had to do with organization, facts presented and post length.

2nd Order of Buisness- I must humbly request to withdraw from the compitition at this time. Unfortunatly my midterm are comming up along with final exams and it's crunch time here for me. But my vote still counts. I wanted to contribute to this even for a short time. I think Andyhack or BradTheNadDad would be happy to take my place.

Congrats Leafsfan on moving onto the next round.

~Long Live the Leafs~
andyhack Posted - 04/16/2008 : 06:14:55
I've been busy lately, but last night I finally got around to reading Alex's posts here. Alex, I don't think your posts are long enough! You really need to think about this brevity problem of yours!

Anyway, both guys obviously gave it a good effort. If I were voting though, my vote would go to LF. And that is not because I love Ovie! Nothing against him, but I certainly am not a huge fan. In fact, if I had to choose which of these two great players I would have on my team, I would, in most circumstances, take Crosby.

I would give LF the edge mainly because he simply made his arguments in a more precise , organized manner.

And I think the non-ice point would have been a more significant point for you Alex if there would have been a more glaring difference between the players this way. Whether or not this point is relevant is one question, but even if we say that it is relevant, how much "greater" a person is Sid than Ovie off the ice, if any. Both these guys are far from terrible guys off the ice. So bringing the point up didn't really advance your cause that much, Alex, and as others have mentioned, it may not be all that relevant anyway. But credit to LF for his post on Ovie's background - that was interesting and insightful and was sufficient enough to negate any point Alex may have had on this I think.

Anyway, Alex, I need your billing address so I can send you a bill for the time used to read your posts! Just kidding. I'll write the time off
99pickles Posted - 04/14/2008 : 22:07:55
Good thing the voting for the debate between PainTrain and I is over....Minnesota just won their game on an icing chase-down!! O/T winner to boot...
Beans15 Posted - 04/14/2008 : 19:40:52
Ethan, I completely disagree.

1) Alex added what??? A ton of "facts" which were actually opinions?? So much information that you have no idea what the point is??

2) What's not valid?? Pointing out the mistakes (or what you consider to be mistakes) of your opponent has nothing to do with the debate. It's normally what people who are losing a debate do to try to make people dislike the other debater. It's not a popularity contest.
Ethan Posted - 04/14/2008 : 19:09:15
It's a shame, you guys are not viewing this for what it is, a debate contest. You are seeing this as an effort to persuade the reader

Clearly, Alex Ovechkin makes much more of a case for himself. We were looking at what the debater ADDS and Alex runs away with this one!

As for attacking, its all over debates that's not really valid Beans.
Beans15 Posted - 04/14/2008 : 19:06:23
Make sure you understand the topic you are debating. Something as simple as Ovechkin vs. Crosby can be interpreted so many different ways, it would have been in both debaters best interest to inquire into something deeper. Is it who is the best player?? Who is the best person? Who is better looking?? Who is more popular?? etc.Due to this, both debaters were arguing different points. Leafs was about on the ice, Alex was about off the ice (for the most part).

With that being said, I looked at the support each person had for their own view. Leafs fan was very fact based, and regardless if you think he only used one or two web sites to research, I think he did the job well. Clear, simple, to the point.

Alex, couple of things. Firstly, quantity does not equal quantity. I literally had to stop at least 6 times in the last post to go back and start again because I lost interest. It was almost over researched, if that makes sense. So much info that the point was lost. What was the point?? What did it prove or disprove??

And the final kicker in this that swayed my vote is that NEVER should a person in a debate speak personally about their opponent. Attack their opinion all you want, but never bring them up. Alex talked about the mistakes his opponent made which is complete taboo in debates. It might be accepted in political debates(such as Clinton vs. Obama on the TV's every night these days), but it doesn't make it right.

My vote goes to Leafs_Fan.

In the end, something I have said to before and I will say again,

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY!!!!
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 04/14/2008 : 18:41:36
Please move all votes over to the DEBATE THREAD!!!

Its just easier to calculate and more organized.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page