Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2008 Playoffs - Montreal - Philadelphia Series

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
willus3 Posted - 04/27/2008 : 19:33:53
Talk about the series.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest9672 Posted - 05/04/2008 : 17:08:05
On behalf of all Philly fans:

Na-na-na-na. Na-na-na-na. Hey-hey-hey. Goodbye.

Hey where is all the Montreal bandwagon? How many have jumped off?
Guest5372 Posted - 05/01/2008 : 13:23:45
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8158

These guys are playing without their best player, wait until they get Gagne back!

Umm second or third best player. Gagne is good but not the best player in Philly. Biron, Richards, Briere, Carter, Timonen and Gagne are the top 6. Gagne is not the best out of the lot IMHO.

Sure Briere didn't do so well this year in the regular season, if you think 70+ points is not doing so well. Maybe people expect his point production to match his pay, but I think that his pay is exaggerated in comparison to what Danny brings to the table. But considering he is playing for free in the playoffs, he is bang for the buck now isn't he?

Same goes with Timonen. Coburn will be up there by next year too if he continues to progress at his current pace.

Richards exploded this year and was justly rewarded. Carter took over Richards role while Richards was out. Unfortunately he does not have the gaudy stats to justify such a monster pay day, but he is such an important shut down guy that can score.

Biron, this playoffs says it all.
Guest8158 Posted - 05/01/2008 : 11:52:20
Wow phillys up 3-1 and heres the main reason why: Biron. This guy is playing some amazing goaltending and geting great help from his defense. Their clogging up the middle and blocking alot of shots. Most of the Montreal shots are coming from the outside and Biron sees them the whole way.
Another reason is the depth of this team, R.J Umberger is sinking Montreal single handedly but it could just as easily be any other forward on the team. They're not getting the same amount of shots but they don't need too. They've been up at least two goals in every game. I don't think they've played behind in any of the four games. Montreal has to come out quick and put Philly behind if they have any chance of coming back. They also need to solve this goaltending dilema. Put Price back in and sink or swim with him. Personally I think they're toast but they have a lot of talent up front and are heading home. I took eight players from Philly in a fifteen man draft and I'm winning by twenty points. The depth on this team is incrdible, this is the eam to watch in the next five years. These guys are playing without their best player, wait until they get Gagne back!
HabsBiggestFan Posted - 04/30/2008 : 20:02:13
After tonights game I dont think that they have the power to make a big comeback. ='(
It is hard saying this but I think that Philly has won the right to move on to the Conference finals. It's a huge downer because I didn't take any Philly players in my playoff pool.

EDIT - I certainly think that Begin is not a playoff player as he always takes dumb penalities. I don't know what Carbonneau was thinking when he put Begin out on the ice. Because of Begin Montreal has lost against Philadelphia.
Goodbye Bruins!
andyhack Posted - 04/30/2008 : 19:54:44
I agree it's far from over, but I think it will be if the Habs take the attitude that the only reason they are losing is Biron. He has been great, yes, but I really think the Habs have, to varying degrees, been struggling offensively throughout the whole playoffs. Think about it. But for Games 1, 6 and 7 of the Boston series, and a late goal in Game 1 of this series, the Habs are basically scoring two or less goals a game (in regulation time anyway). And the two goals in the last two games came in the third period - the second one tonight off a very fortuitous bounce.

Sure Biron is a huge part of the lack of offensive production in this series, but he is not the only part. Most significantly in my mind, the Habs are not pouncing on loose pucks nearly as well as they could and should be doing, and they are not doing that rapid fire passing we all saw so much (too much!) of during the year. The Habs this year - it wasn't just their foot speed, but also how fast (and smartly) they moved the puck that impressed me. If those areas don't improve, they may lose even if Biron's level comes down a little.

So I disagree with Guy Carboneau's assessment. They are NOT playing "great". They are playing "okay", maybe even "pretty good" at times, but NOT "great".

But I have to admit the Flyers are better than I thought. Offensively, they have some talent (both hands and brains) that I certainly wouldn't mind a little more of in Beantown. I am also a little surprised that Montreal hasn't been able to exploit a Hatcher type of defenceman more. I thought he would be spinning circles and panting out of breath chasing the Habs by now. Credit to him and the coaching staff I guess for managing pretty well so far. But again, that may be because the Habs aren't pressuring him enough.

Edit - also, I thought the Begin call was the correct one - in any case, as Grapes said, what the heck was the guy trying to prove with that type of hit at that stage in the game
Axey Posted - 04/30/2008 : 19:13:35
Biron can only take so many shots before he breaks, this series is far from over Price will start and steal game 5 mark my words. The Habs will NOT lose game 5. I think the Habs should work on PP's and thats it for the next 689405 practises to get back on track. We also need quicker point shots instead of letting bodies get in front of the shot by hesitating. Boys gotta get in front of Biron too, every time we do its a goal.
nashvillepreds Posted - 04/30/2008 : 16:38:23
quote:
Originally posted by Gostarsgo12

I can't believe people are saying that Carey Price can't perform in the playoffs. This kid is so young he has so much left in him and I think getting rid of Huet was the smart idea and letting Price handle the duties was the right thing to do. Huet was inconsistent and you can't have a goalie like that starting for you like that in the playoffs. Obviously people have been saying that about Carey that he has sucked in the playoffs but I guarantee you that if he starts game 4 he will have an outstanding game. This kid has done it before when he has been in big games like the World Jr's and the Calder Cup and he'll do it again in the playoffs for the habs.

Yeah but look at Ellis, it was his first season he was unbelievable in the playoffs. I'm guessing he just didn't have the pressure that Price has. I've looked at all the teams in this round and so far, Price has to be the worst goalie, sorry montreal.

Go Stars!!!

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Komisaurus Posted - 04/30/2008 : 10:05:40
Do you know the way a high stick is called??? the tip of his blade was above the crossbar but the puck hit the bottom of his blade which was under the crossbar, whever the puck makes contact with the stick is where it counts, in this case, below the crossbar which is where the puck hit his stick, therefore a goal...
Guest4912 Posted - 04/30/2008 : 09:55:48
yes but philly could of also won the first game but the bounces didnt go their way that high sticking goal come on that ridiculos that should of never even been looked at for consideration of a goal horrible call
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 04/30/2008 : 07:49:33
I can't believe people are saying that Carey Price can't perform in the playoffs. This kid is so young he has so much left in him and I think getting rid of Huet was the smart idea and letting Price handle the duties was the right thing to do. Huet was inconsistent and you can't have a goalie like that starting for you like that in the playoffs. Obviously people have been saying that about Carey that he has sucked in the playoffs but I guarantee you that if he starts game 4 he will have an outstanding game. This kid has done it before when he has been in big games like the World Jr's and the Calder Cup and he'll do it again in the playoffs for the habs.

Go Stars!!!
Pasty7 Posted - 04/29/2008 : 16:45:25
price is surly impressive but for the record i have not once changed my opinion on mr. price he will be great but he isn;t yet and not nessiarly have huet as the starter and price as the back up,,,, it would be nice in this situation going into game 4 to have huet though ??/ because there is no way they are going to start halak,,, nothing against him even if the habs lose game 4 short of a total and complete meltdown halak will not get a start,,, but huet might have,,,, and he might have been a usefull tool to get them over this hump,.,,,

Pasty
andyhack Posted - 04/29/2008 : 15:59:36
Guys giving the verdict on Price - you may or may not be right, but the verdict is premature. And even if they lose the next game it's premature. One thing I've learnt from the last few decades of watching sports is that there is no sense in making judgments about something midway through a series, as you just never know what might happen in the games to come. Better to reserve judgment til the end of the series.

Has Carey been a bit shakey? Yes, I think that's a fair assessment. Does that mean that Gainey made a huge mistake? No, not necessarily. My main point though is that even if you think Gainey did make a huge mistake now, wouldn't it be better to save your opinion until the Habs are dead, buried and rotting under the sea (sorry, but a Boston fan has to say something a bit more colorful then just "until the Habs are officially gone" ). But guys, if God forbid, that does not happen, and the Habs get by this Philly hump and progress in the playoffs, you will look a bit silly with your comments now, don't you think? Particularly if Carey picks it up and throws in a good game or two.

Remember, as Joaquin Andujar once said, "In a word, UNEVANO"
U = you
Neva = never
No = know

Sports is like that guys. I know, I'm suggesting you play it safe with your comments, which is kind of boring I guess, but I've just seen too many series go this way and that in sports to be making any definitive comments at the stage prior to Game 4. So I'm going the boring route on this one and keeping my mouth shut.

Hopefully you're all absolutely right though!
leafsfan_101 Posted - 04/29/2008 : 12:34:24
I think that trading Huet was the sign to Price that he was the go-to-guy. In a position as demanding as goaltending, where every mistake is blown up, this sign put alot of pressure on Carey. And he is good, but he is carrying to much pressure on his shoulders and his calm demeanor is starting to crack.

I think the Habs jumped the gun to soon to give him the nod of being the starter. He is still developing and hasn't even fully adjusted to the NHL yet. I think that the Habs would be better off right now if they had stuck to Huet and kept Price as a backup, letting him play a couple of games when Huet needed a rest so that Carey could adjust and experience NHL playoffs. That would have been the ideal solution.
Pasty7 Posted - 04/29/2008 : 12:00:09
quote:
Originally posted by rross

Another anoynomous guest who jumps all over Carey Price after 1 game. It's getting old!!!!!
Montreal's defensive zone coverage has not been good. They have been screening Price making it difficult to stop some shots. He let in one weak one last night. The one that fluttered off his glove. The other's were excellent shots and screened. So Montreal's d need to get out of the shooting lane when they are shooting from the slot.
Another facet would be Montreal not capitilizing on chances as Philidelphia is. This series is close. Obviously Price or Halak need to outplay Biron for Montreal to get back in this series. He is playing very well.

Go Habs Go!!

well this guest is 100% right,, no question price is good,, but come on,, hes played 10 playoff games now and only 3 on them was he good in,,, the boston series with a god like goalie the way they try and make price sound would have ended in 4 games and the habs would be up 3 nothing if price hadn;t been bad (i said bad because that is how he has played this series) if he would have been just solid the habs would have had a shot,,, and now since the habs put all their faith in this kid they're stuck with him he is their best bet now but he wasn;t before,,, i dont blame price the kid is gold but gainey is a moron and could very well have cost the habs a legit shot at the cup this year,

Pasty
Axey Posted - 04/29/2008 : 11:31:39
Its almost as if Montreal just messes with Philly, they played last night like it was a joke. Im not worried about the Habs one bit we will win the series and Price is great just had some bad bounces
rross Posted - 04/29/2008 : 08:39:08
Another anoynomous guest who jumps all over Carey Price after 1 game. It's getting old!!!!!
Montreal's defensive zone coverage has not been good. They have been screening Price making it difficult to stop some shots. He let in one weak one last night. The one that fluttered off his glove. The other's were excellent shots and screened. So Montreal's d need to get out of the shooting lane when they are shooting from the slot.
Another facet would be Montreal not capitilizing on chances as Philidelphia is. This series is close. Obviously Price or Halak need to outplay Biron for Montreal to get back in this series. He is playing very well.

Go Habs Go!!
Guest6704 Posted - 04/29/2008 : 08:24:40
Who still thinks Carey Price is the second coming of Patrick Roy? haha, I knew that it was all montreal and their fans letting their ego get the best of them. This kid is really good dont get me wrong, but he isnt the best goalie in the NHL by a long shot. This playoff experience, win or lose, will benefit him greatly in the years to come but I just don't think its Carey Price's, or Montreals year
andyhack Posted - 04/28/2008 : 20:21:15
Biron was really good with his puckhandling tonight, making a number of plays behind the net (some when the Habs were on the PP) where he would break up Hab shoot-ins by intercepting the puck and then dishing it to safety. I wonder if Stevens has picked up on something about Montreal's shoot-ins as this seemed to happen an unususal amount of times and it almost seemed like Biron knew the puck was coming even before it was coming. If so, good coaching by Stevens.
PainTrain Posted - 04/28/2008 : 15:41:33
I picked Philly before this series started, and I'm sticking with that. Boston gave Montreal a run for their money because they were very physical on them. If Philly does that they can win because they have a much more talented team then Boston did and Boston took them to game 7. Pretty entertaining series. I'll tell you one thing. I would take Mike Richards and Scott Hartnell on my team ANYDAY! I also quite like Jeff Carter. Braydon Cobourn is the next great two way d-man. This Philly team will be good.
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 04/27/2008 : 20:53:06
I have a feeling this one will go to game 7 and then Montreal will win again. Some people say that Price is overated well its way too early to tell he will perform great in game 7 and they'll win again. Game 2 Montreal could of won the bounces just didn't go there way Plekanec had some good opportunities just couldn't capitilize. Montreal still looks like the better team early in this one. I'm really impressed with the way Biron has played he has played great and he'll keep them in it.

Go Stars!!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page