Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 submit your resume here....

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 05/20/2008 : 20:30:28
Hi All,

Okay, as much fun as it is to continually rag on the Leafs, being the easy targets that they are, they are shopping for a new GM. Here's your chance, what changes would YOU make to improve the team. Come on, try it, see if your managerial skills ARE actually better than Fergie Jr.'s. If it makes sense, I may even possibly forward your resume to the organization, I mean what the hey, with there track record as of late, maybe even I could be .... the GM!
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Datsyuk 1 Posted - 05/30/2008 : 16:36:30
Oh gawd, I have a lot of changes to do. Lets see Fire Gm and Coach (can't remember there name's )
1. Hire Scotty Bowman
2. Get rid of Sundin, McCabe (trust me it will save you goals), Tucker (to dirty and costs games), Blake, Raycrofy and Toskala (I would only get rid of Toskala if you could get a good forward or a good D and you could also put Pogge in the starting position).(can't remember who is all on there team but these are the main players and goalies to get rid of.
3. Also remember don't listen to all of these suggestions, just keep Toronto the way they are. They are good enough!
n/a Posted - 05/28/2008 : 09:05:35
I've got to make some comments here . . .

1. Pogge is not ready to start in the NHL right now, sorry. Toskala is better than Raycroft, even though I do agree that Raycroft got a bum deal with the Leafs and the situation was badly handled.
summary: keep Toskala, trade Raycroft, have Clemenson and possibly later Pogge as back-up.

2. Sundin needs to be shown the loyalty and respect he has always shown the Leafs organisation, despite Traitor Cliff's move to try and trade him. We also need to keep him for stability during a transition period, and to guide the young'uns. He is still a great player despite his age.
summary: re-sign Sundin until retirement

3. Kaberle is not a top ten defenceman, and not even a top 20 defenceman - only in the mind of some brainwashed fans. He is a pretty good passer, stickhandling is quite good, but speed is declining now (average to begin with), he shies away on hits and has plenty of giveaways, and he won't go into the corners or get his nose dirty. In short, he is a good complimentary defenceman, but not someone you want as your stud.
summary: trade bait for a tougher, stay at home defensive defenceman if he waives the no-trade - if he can't be traded, needs to be augmented with same.

4. The Leafs didn't screw up anything with Brunnstrom - they were never really in the running. Brunnstrom had basically decided on Dallas, he was also courted by a few other teams who were ON HIS LIST of where he wanted to play. Toronto, although not on the list, still lobbied hard to get in a bid and convince him to see the city - unfortunately, he never had time to stop by. Also, we have no idea if he's that good or if it's just a bunch of hype for nothing.
Summary: have fun skating in slush, Brunny!

5. Tucker's skills have diminished, yes. But he knows his role well as a third line checker and occasional scoring threat, and he is good at it. Is he currently overpaid? Yes, for sure. Is he the kind of player you want on your team in that role? Yes, for sure. Would we get much for him in a trade? Not really.
Summary: Keep Tucker, unless a team wants him in a package deal alongside others when we are getting a much needed piece of the puzzle (A grade defenceman or premier forward)

6. Steen should not be an untouchable, my goodness - he's had so many chances to show his potential and at best, he is a third liner. I like Stajan and Poni, but they could be solid trade-bait for a much needed impact player. Personally, I like Poni best, he is excellent as a third liner energy guy who has a bit of a scoring touch and loves to muck it up.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
nashvillepreds Posted - 05/22/2008 : 16:52:50
1) I don't care about Raycroft anymore. Ship the guy off to some Europian couintry, it'll be their problem. I'm sure he'd have a blast backing up Belfour instead of sitting in the minors watching Pogge.

2) Re-signing Sundin is a MUST. The leafs need a guy to help develope the youngsters, Kaberle can take the defencemen and Sundin can help out with the forwards in that department. I just don't want to see him signing for 7 million. If he gets that much, you might as well sign Hossa.

3) Get rid orf Tucker, Blake, McCabe, Bell, Kubina and Colaiacovo.

4) Hire all new staff. The owners can fire themselves afterwards.

5) The leafs should bring Pogge up from the minors this year, even though they won't.

6) Sign at least one of the following players: Streit, Malone, Hossa, Liles, Campbell.

The key to success for the leafs, they already screwed up with Brunnstom, hopefully they can get this one right.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 05/22/2008 : 16:40:29
quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

ok i dont see why everyone hates tucker. he bleeds blue and white blood and is the heart of their team. kaberle use to be good. BUT HE CANT TAKE A HIT. he is always giving up the puck so he doesnt get hit. all he can really do is handle the puck

Are you joking? Im not sure Tucker wants to even play for us anymore. I used to be a fan of Tucker. He is not a leader by any stretch of the imagination. Im sure he would rather play for a team out west so he can be with his family.

He's a yapper, chirper, and has a selfish attitude. I would be disgraced to be a Leafs Fan if Tucker had the "C" stitched to his sweater.

Kaberle, in my opinion, is one of the best puck moving defenceman in the league and is just entering the prime of his career at an older age. How can you say that he "used" to be good when his play has been consistently good with no bad stretches of his career yet. He is a d-man. He is not trained to take hits like a hard-working winger. Sure he needs to be physical to battle in the corners. Different defenceman have different types of play.

Most mid-size defenceman arent needed to take a hit in order to perform well. I have never seen Kaberle give up the puck so he would not have to take a hit. He is also one of the best at keeping possesion of the puck.

Leafsfan_94 Posted - 05/22/2008 : 16:23:21
ok i dont see why everyone hates tucker. he bleeds blue and white blood and is the heart of their team. kaberle use to be good. BUT HE CANT TAKE A HIT. he is always giving up the puck so he doesnt get hit. all he can really do is handle the puck

quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

Ok enough with this Sundin crap.

1)We had a chance to trade Sundin away at the deadline. Didnt happen. So we get nothing for him now because he is a UFA. He will sign with another team on July 1. Too bad I would love to see him stay but the Leafs need to rebuild.

2)Rebuildong means young players. We will need to start off by getting a young leader. eg. Mike Richards. Trade away Toskala and bring in some more young talent or draft picks. Bring Pogge up and finally develop him into an NHL goalie. I dont care what we do with Raycroft but he will no longer be a Leafs goaltender(maybe Marlies). This means throwing Pogge into the starting roll for the Leafs.....THEY ARE REBUILDING. He is young.

3) The Un-touchables. You HAVE TO KEEP KABERLE. He is a great defenceman and you will not get much for him if he was traded away. Stajan, Tlusty, Pony, Antropov are also ones that I would not move.

4)Get rid of. McCabe, Tucker(Haha captain, ya sure), Wellwood, Steen,Blake. McCabe, Blake, Toskala for Jason Spezza and a 3rd round pick. I would do it. Those are the types of trades the leafs could benifit from. Ottawa needs a starting goalie....

Feel free to disagree. I have lots more to write im just too lazy right now.

Leafsfan_94

Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 05/22/2008 : 14:20:08
Ok enough with this Sundin crap.

1)We had a chance to trade Sundin away at the deadline. Didnt happen. So we get nothing for him now because he is a UFA. He will sign with another team on July 1. Too bad I would love to see him stay but the Leafs need to rebuild.

2)Rebuildong means young players. We will need to start off by getting a young leader. eg. Mike Richards. Trade away Toskala and bring in some more young talent or draft picks. Bring Pogge up and finally develop him into an NHL goalie. I dont care what we do with Raycroft but he will no longer be a Leafs goaltender(maybe Marlies). This means throwing Pogge into the starting roll for the Leafs.....THEY ARE REBUILDING. He is young.

3) The Un-touchables. You HAVE TO KEEP KABERLE. He is a great defenceman and you will not get much for him if he was traded away. Stajan, Tlusty, Pony, Antropov are also ones that I would not move.

4)Get rid of. McCabe, Tucker(Haha captain, ya sure), Wellwood, Steen,Blake. McCabe, Blake, Toskala for Jason Spezza and a 3rd round pick. I would do it. Those are the types of trades the leafs could benifit from. Ottawa needs a starting goalie....

Feel free to disagree. I have lots more to write im just too lazy right now.

Leafsfan_94 Posted - 05/22/2008 : 14:02:11
1.) get rid of sundin.. hes been there too long and has to go
2.) make tucker captain.
3.) play stajan,wellwood,steen more( and other good young rookies)
4.) get rid of kaberle. look fore new defenceman. to get good defence get rid of toskala. you could get good d-man for him.. lots of teams need goalies.
5.) make raycroft number one(i know people will critisize me for this. but you know what he is a good goalie but he only had 17 games to prove it. and yes i admit he didnt have a great year. but he had a grreat year in 06-07 he just didnt have his d-man to back him up cause well they suck.) and pogge back up and play pogge 25 games atleast so he has some nhl experience.

Leafsfan_94

n/a Posted - 05/22/2008 : 08:00:32
Ok, here goes:

1. I need full autonomy and control over the direction of the team.

2. We need to honour the true blue Maple Leafs who have stuck with us for some reason, and have played their hearts out. I'd convince Sundin to sign a one year contract with an option for a second year to retire as a Leaf, and keep Tucker for the rest of his 4 year extension . . . we get more by keeping him, as opposed to what we would get in return.

3. Right, now I move to trades. Players to offer: Antropov (highest value), Kaberle (if he waives the no-trade), Steen, Pohl, White. In return, we are looking for a premier forward to build around for the future - a player a team might be willing to part with for two or three of the above mentioned - like a St.Louis(TB), Spezza (OTT), Gaborik (MIN), Kopitar (LA), Arnott (NAS). If not a youngish premier forward, then the next best thing - but no one over 34.

4. Salary dump - get rid of at least two of these guys, along with Raycroft: McCabe (if he waives no-trade), Blake, Colaiacavo, Gill. Whatever we can get back, preferrably decent young prospects.

5. After the trade and salary dump, we delve into the free agent market - looking for a solid defenceman 1st, and if we have enough cash, another good forward:
D - Mark Streit (mtl), Roszival (nyr), Hainsey (clb), Redden (ott), Modry (pha), Campbell (sj), Miller (van),
F - Langkow (cgy), Huselius (cgy), Vyborny (clb), Hagman (dal), Demitra (min), Rolston (min), Ryder (mtl), Avery nyr), Straka (nyr), Stillman (ott), Vrbata (pho), Hossa (pit - unlikely, but worth trying), Morrison (van),

6. Resign Stajan and Wellwood, can get both back at a discount, especially Wellwood - unless this means not getting that extra forward from UFA and still staying under the cap, which means bye bye.

7. Get Pat Burns as my new coach - and if he refuses (unlikely), then hire new blood, John Anderson, coach of the Chicago Wolves.

8. My three year plan is to contend for the playoffs while developing young talent blossoms, make the playoffs second year, have a legitimate contender by year three.

. . . and I come cheap! I'll work for one tenth the salary you probably offered Scotty Bowman!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
pensfan17 Posted - 05/21/2008 : 19:49:19
Keep: Sundin, Tlusty, Ponikarovsky, Antropov, Steen, Stajan, Bell, Devereaux, Moore, J. Williams, Kaberle, White, Stralman, Kubina(maybe)Toskala

Get Rid of: Blake, Tucker, Welwood, McCabe, Raycroft,

UFA's I would go after: Kalinin, Streit, J. Smith, Miettinen, Roberts,

RFA's: J. Carter, O' Sullivan, A. Kostitsyn, Pavelski,
Pasty7 Posted - 05/21/2008 : 17:58:56
swap the entire marlies team for the leafs for the first 8 games of the season,, if the record is better than 1-7-0 stick with it its an improvment

Pasty
SuperSakic Posted - 05/21/2008 : 11:12:21
I'll give it a shot....

1. Don't sign Sundin. The team needs a total face-lift.

2. Get rid of Tucker, Steen, Ponikarovsky, McCabe, Stajan, Kubina, Coliacavo, Raycroft - I don't care HOW, just get rid of them somehow.

3. Keepers are: Kaberle, White, Toskala, Antropov, and yes Blake and Wellwood. This is only Blake's first year with the team, you gotta give him one more kick at the can. Wellwood needs one more chance as well, cause I think that their's still some good potential there.

3. Sign a couple of QUALITY UFA's (the key word being QUALITY!) and even pull a Kevin Lowe and try to steal some RFA's. Try for Hossa for the UFA (like he would actually want to come here...not!).

4. Sign Scotty Bowman as GM - give him whatever he wants

5. Let Scotty sign the coach HE wants

6. Since we're doing a face-lift, why not change the logo as well....maybe make it a Trillium flower instead? How does that sound? The Toronto Trilliums!
Yeah, that'll strike fear into the opposition!

Or go for my plan B:

Tank the team for 3-4 years in a row until you've built up enough number one draft picks to try to crawl out of the gutter that is MLSE.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 05/20/2008 : 20:59:52
Here's my effort,

1) Keep Sundin!...he actually wants to play there and he's good!
2) Keep Tucker....he actually wants to play there and he's.......he actually wants to play there...
3) Trade Cloiacho...Colyak...Colliacoi...that defenseman with the impossible last name and unretire some cagey veteran defenseman,with a much easier name to fit on the jersey....I dunno...Greg Smith maybe....
4) Trade Mccabe to Philly....Derian Hatcher actually looked better than him...and cheaper to boot....
5) Have Bob Cole refer to Battaglia as 'master', at least once a telecast...
6) Give Kubina and Blake the Harold Ballard b*tch slap...maybe then they'll think about earning their pay....
7) Hire Wendel Clark....see #6 above

Gostarsgo12 Posted - 05/20/2008 : 20:44:21
I would first off make a big splash in the free agent market. Im signing Sean Avery. Sean Avery will be good fit with his hard nosed play and and can put puck in net. Im resigning Sundin to a one year deal. Signing Vinny Prospal a solid scorer who can play along side Sundin. Im shopping guys like Wellwood, Tucker and Blake and then I give up because I relize that none of this will matter because we will miss the playoffs in the end anyway.

Stars for the Cup!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page