Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Dallas Drake might retire

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4680 Posted - 05/22/2008 : 18:52:32
Darren Helm and Dallas Drake are at opposite ends of their careers, each about to play in their first Stanley Cup finals.

For Helm, a 21-year-old rookie, the chance to be a part of the Red Wings' lineup Saturday when they face Pittsburgh in Game 1 is almost surreal. For Drake, a 39-year-old veteran, it's more like a swan song, a promising ending to 15 years of grinding work.

Helm spent most of the regular season with Grand Rapids before being called to Detroit, and had played only seven games during the regular season before Wings coach Mike Babcock went to Helm in Game 5 of the first round. Helm has since become a regular because his speed makes the fourth line effective, and now he's four victories from winning a Stanley Cup.

"Now that it's happening, it's so exciting," Helm said. "I never thought I'd be in this position this year. I thought I'd be going home and if I got called up, I thought I'd be watching most of the time. Now I'm in the lineup, so it's awesome. Hopefully things can keep clicking for us."

The Wings fielded a number of inquiries about Helm at February's trading deadline, but were too intrigued by the speedy forward to let him go.

Helm is part of the Wings' promising future, while Drake was signed last summer to help with the present. He was brought in to be a role player and leader, and throughout an unremarkable regular season, Babcock kept saying Drake's best work was ahead of him.

Drake delivered in Game 6 of the Wings' third-round series against Dallas, assisting on the crucial first goal, scoring the third one, and making some big hits. Now he's in a place he has never reached since entering the NHL with Detroit in 1992-93, three years after being drafted by the Wings.

"I try to tell the young guys how hard it is to get there," Drake said. "It's been 16 years; this is the farthest I've been, the closest I've been to even having a chance to play for the Stanley Cup. You try to reiterate how hard it is. It's very difficult."

Drake lives in the Traverse City area during the off-season, and his wife and children have stayed there the past year while Drake has been in Detroit. Drake most likely will retire after this season, but long playoff runs have a way of making players feel full of energy.

"Have I considered retirement after the year? I'm not going to lie to you," Drake said. "It's run through my mind. ... Whatever happens, you know, sometimes it's a little bit out of your control. But you play hard most nights, as this team does, you give yourself a chance to win."

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page