Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Franzen unlikely to go in Game 1

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4680 Posted - 05/22/2008 : 19:00:04
A first step still is a long stride from playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Johan Franzen, who hasn't played -- or even skated -- since May 8 because of concussion-like symptoms, skated lightly at Joe Louis Arena on Wednesday.

It was a positive step, but general manager Ken Holland said it's "highly doubtful" Franzen will be able to play in Game 1 on Saturday.

"He's feeling better, but he hasn't practiced (in nearly two weeks)," Holland said. "I guess he did go for a twirl. He hasn't been cleared to go full out."

Holland said Franzen's availability remains game-to-game, but he's hopeful Franzen can return at some point against Pittsburgh.

The Wings say Franzen was hurt during the second round against Colorado. Franzen kept playing despite persistent headaches and led the league with 12 playoff goals when he was forced out of the lineup before Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals against Dallas.

Toeing the line
The main idea behind the Penguins' defensive scheme is taking away the time and space of opposing defensemen.

They've been doing a good job of it, but the Red Wings likely will provide the Penguins' stiffest test.

In Nicklas Lidstrom , Brian Rafalski and Niklas Kronwall , the Wings have defensemen who can ignite an attack.

"They have some pretty talented guys back there that are going to be able to move the puck," Penguins forward Ryan Malone said during a teleconference. "But it's our job to try to take that time and space away. I definitely know if we're sitting back on our heels that they're definitely going to try to tic-tac-toe around us. We have to make sure we are on our toes, trying to be physical, try to take their time and space away."

While the Penguins are known for their offense, Malone said defense and physicality will be crucial against the Wings.

"We definitely want to be physical on them if it's going to be a long series," Malone said. "We have to make sure we're ... thinking defense. Even if we're in the offensive zone, we have to be thinking maybe defense as well to make sure they can't jump into the play and help out offensively."

It's a game Malone, a rugged forward who is a Pittsburgh native, knows well. He had a career-best 27 goals and 51 points. In 14 playoff games he has six goals and 15 points, playing with Evgeni Malkin and Petr Sykora .

Ice chips
Penguins power forward Ryan Malone and Wings spare forward Mark Hartigan were roommates at St. Cloud (Minn.) State. "We might have a little side wager," Malone said. "Definitely would be fun to see him across the ice from me."

... If the Red Wings win the Stanley Cup, Lidstrom would become the first European captain to hoist the Cup. "I haven't thought too much about it, but it would be mean a lot to me," Lidstrom said. "It would be an honor."

... Malone said the Penguins will keep tabs on Wings defensemen Niklas Kronwall . "You have to have your head up and be ready," Malone said.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page