Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Gary Roberts ruined any legacy he had

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 05/27/2008 : 09:55:07
Gary Roberts is the biggest cheap shot artist in the game!
Why? He knew Franzen(sp?) had been out with a concussion, and threw elbows at his head...That is the most classless, tasteless, pathetic thing I've seen a player do.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest8852 Posted - 07/05/2008 : 11:41:29
pickles are you on drugs
are you 10 too
you are full of bulls*** and know nothing about hockey you buffon
TWAT
99pickles Posted - 06/26/2008 : 02:16:50
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

The fact that this post refers to gary Roberts' career as a "legacy" means that his contribution to the game was substantial and noteworthy. This one little push/punch/elbow (whatever it was) should not ruin it. His career was/is much bigger than this blown-up incident.

Thank You.

Yes, his contribution was substantial and noteworthy. And, no, this will not ruin his legacy. You cannot change class. You cannot lie to me and tell me who was classy and who was not. Gary Roberts is the epitome of a classy warrior. You are fogged over by the colours of your team if you cannot see this. If you sing a song different than this, it is because Gary hasn't been on your team.

Gary Roberts is the epitome of hard-nosed hockey, and he is an old throw-back to the way NHL hockey used to be. I am just stunned that he is still playing!! HE WON A STANLEY CUP 19 YEARS AGO !!!

Stick that in yer pipe....and keep yer head up while yer at it!
Jeremy12 Posted - 06/25/2008 : 20:07:35
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

Why? He knew Franzen(sp?) had been out with a concussion, and threw elbows at his head...That is the most classless, tasteless, pathetic thing I've seen a player do.

well gary roberts sure he could score but his legacy was more for being the tough guy that thre elbows at heads.....

Pasty

Ok bud take a deep breath and calm down
taking one cheap shot at franzen in one game that wasn't even a cheap shot really will not ruin his legacy as a player in the NHL. By the time next year comes around no one will even remember what happened unless they go on you tube and find it (where you can find anything by the way)

[IMG]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x49/Jeremy12_24/spezza_sig21.jpg[/IMG]
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 06/04/2008 : 15:21:16
Leigh,

I couldn't agree more...Thank you
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 06/04/2008 : 15:19:39
Oops, lest I forget,
The Ribiero incident, when Osgood dropped like he was hit from a grassy knoll, for taking a love tap in the chest protector?? After buttending Ribiero?? That's the shenanigans I'm getting at....
leigh Posted - 06/04/2008 : 15:12:52
The fact that this post refers to gary Roberts' career as a "legacy" means that his contribution to the game was substantial and noteworthy. This one little push/punch/elbow (whatever it was) should not ruin it. His career was/is much bigger than this blown-up incident.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 06/04/2008 : 14:52:01
I would agree that it gives an edge, fair or not. The topic started as a poster 'losing all respect' for Gary Roberts and his 'head shot' to Franzen. My response started this whole diving issue and it's subsequent journey in to the integrity of the game today. I can understand the embellished hook to try and draw a penalty when it is part of the flow of the game. I don't like it, but I can see how it happens. I can even accept it as long as it part of the initial play.
The dives I refer to are more of the Franzen/Osgood variety. Should Roberts have taken a head shot at Franzen, of course not. What I found silly was Franzen's ability to look around, see it was Roberts, and then fall to the ice. Even that I can live with, it was the fetal position, the prone, 'look at me refs, I'm really hurt here',(until the penalty is called), when he was then able to get up, skate away and yap at the world about how it was an elbow(see the YouTube clip), and then be involved in every scrum for the remainder of the game.(So much for the tender melon).
It was Osgood's theatrics when Sykora threw that devastating bodycheck behind the net on....his arm.
These are the dives that I find irritating, so yes to agree with you, finally, an embellished fall when you feel an opponent's stick tugging at you?, okay that does give an advantage. Unless, you get the corresponding 2 minutes for diving, with your opponent's 2 for hooking, in which case you've only hurt your team by drawing the officials attention to you(and your team), in a negative way.

Hope that clarifies what I am getting at...
Guest6829 Posted - 06/04/2008 : 13:46:20
LOL, my computer messed up and I guess that I had 4 replies all showing my one, main reply. heir all the same so it doesn't matter which one you read

When I talk about hooks being compared to dives I compare the intentional kind. Unintentional hooks are simply that, unintentional. I argue that dives dictate a play as much as a hook would. Both result in penalties, and although they are different plays they both result in the same end verdict....a penalty. A player doesn't dive just because he feels like it, but he dives to hopefully lure a penalty out and to the opposing team. This would create a positive opportunity for his team, and therefore give his team an edge.

I've also noticed that when a player dives he is sometimes trying to magnify a penalty created by the opposing player. An example of this would be a player is rushing to the net and is hooked by the defenseman. If the player realizes he still has a shot at scoring he will fight off the hook as best he can. If he notices nothing can be formulated he will simply fall to the ice. This dive is used to bring attention to the officials that he was hooked. Sometimes the ref will give both players a penalty, one for hooking and the other for diving. I've noticed this is common nowadays. This player's dive makes the hook more noticeable and increases the chance of the ref calling a penalty on the opposing player dramatically. I would guess that 9-10 times the dive will go unnoticed by the refs and the diving player will have given his team a 2 minute powerplay.

Dives are used to gain an edge. That would be considered part of the game, would it not? It's not accepted in today's NHL but it serves a purpose, that being to gain that edge to help separate you from your opponent.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 06/04/2008 : 13:24:20
Excuse me for paraphrasing your post, but something got all hooped up and your replies seem to have bred more of the same...

quote from Guest6829;
'I think that there is something that should be made a point here.....Franzen is European, where they have been bred to dive. As per your post, I bolded something that didn't make sense. For NHL players it simply isn't JUST a sport, or JUST a game. Especially in the Stanley Cup Finals. It's their REAL life. what thay have worked for since they were little and first picked up a hockey stick It's not something that they do when they're bored, but they do it to get paid. They are living a dream.'

I think you have your bolding all messed up you bolded the 'REAL' in 'It's their REAL life.' I think you should have bolded 'THEIR', instead. Yes, it is their living, their dream, THEIR real life, but as I pointed out earlier, they have to be in tune with what WE want to see. Their product is our entertainment, therefore it's our dollars, be it in merchandise, game tickets, cable subscriptions to watch the game, whatever we as consumers pay in monetary amounts to enjoy the GAME. That is where the difference lies, yes, they have worked all their lives to play and make a living, albeit one we can only dream of, and live their dream. For every one kid that dreams and gets to live that dream, there are thousands of others, who dream just as big, work just as hard, but have to ... whoulda thunk... make a living like the rest of us.

The rest of us live more of a nightmare than a dream, because we have to do what 99.9999 percent of the rest of the world does, and toil for our livings. All I as a fan ask, is that they play the game within the confines of the rules, without the nonsense that lessens the sport for what it is. Is a hook different than a dive? Of course. Some hooks,holds or trips are intentional, dictating a penalty being called. Some hooks, holds or trips are un-intentional, still dictating a penalty being called. I don't think there is such a thing as an un-intentional dive, hence my reference to 'nonsense'.

A dive to help your team, versus a minor penalty that hurts your team? The hook,hold or trip, and it 's resulting penalty is part of the game, while the dive only lessens the game.
Guest6829 Posted - 06/04/2008 : 12:56:42
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

quote:
Originally posted by Guest6829

I think that everyone needs to face one fact.....sports isn't how it used to be. Players are out there to do a job, and they are paid to win. With the influx of Europeans to the league diving has become more common, and truthfully it looks like it's here to stay. The NHL is still working on it's crackdown of it, but for the time being it's here, right now.

Professional sports has always been a win-first mentality, and in the Stanley Cup Finals winning is the operative goal. Now if Franzen had taken this dive in, lets say, the 46th game of the regular season I'd have a problem with it. But in the Cup Finals, where every little thing matters and you are fighting for a childhood dream, then sorry but taking the dive will help your team.

You all seem blind and oblivious to the fact that this is the Cup Finals. Winning matters at any cost. If a dive equals a ring then I wouldn't mind doing the deed. Would you?

P.S. Get off your high horses. This is sports, not the spelling bee. Being a self righteous moron just makes you look ignorant.

What the ......?
I actually agreed partially with your first two sentences and then you went off on a tangent that not only makes little sense, but just sounds wrong,
There are way too many posters who equate winning at any cost being the same as being a winner, HUGE difference. First and foremost, it's a sport, a game, a pastime, an entertainment outlet, not real life. You said the same thing in your P.S. statement and then proceeded to slag anyone who doesn't want to see the nonsense(All while hiding behind the anonymity of a guest account might I add). As much as I enjoy the game, it's just that. Win with integrity,(that includes not throwing the questionable cheap shots at players), or don't play!!

These players ARE paid to win, but they also have a responsibility to be role models for fans of the game and therefore need to play the GAME, with that intent. By accepting their huge paychecks, they, whether they realize it or not, have put themselves in that position and need to act accordingly. It's not self righteousness to ask that of them, it's respect for the fans who support their careers.

Too many players have made too many sacrifices of their bodies to adopt the position that theatrics equals being a winner. Bobby Baun scoring an overtime winner on a broken ankle, Ryan Smyth picking up his chiclets and continuing, Mario Lemieux playing the same day he finished cancer treatments, more recently Malone taking a slapshot to the face and playing on...these are examples of playing to win, not this nonsense that a dive can only help my team win....bull****!!

We're all paid to do a job, and most of us don't sacrifice our integrity to do it, why should we expect any less out our athletes?

I must be an ignorant, horse riding, moron I guess......

I think that there is something that should be made a point here.....Franzen is European, where they have been bred to dive. As per your post, I bolded something that didn't make sense. For NHL players it simply isn't JUST a sport, or JUST a game. Especially in the Stanley Cup Finals. It's their REAL life. what they have worked for since they were little and first picked up a hockey stick It's not something that they do when they're bored, but they do it to get paid. They are living a dream.

On to the point at hand, I would argue that diving is the same as hooking, holding or tripping (apart from the 20% (maybe, I'm being generous) that are unintentional). Would you disagree? Ar all players who hook a somebody to impede them "Sacrificing their Integrity"? Of course not! In fact, when a player hooks or trips someone it is often said that they are committing a selfish play, one that hurts the team. But if a player dives, he isn't being selfish. He is trying to help the team. Is it legal or right? No, but neither is hooking a guy who has just cleanly gone past you.
Guest6829 Posted - 06/04/2008 : 12:49:20
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think that everyone needs to face one fact.....sports isn't how it used to be. Players are out there to do a job, and they are paid to win. With the influx of Europeans to the league diving has become more common, and truthfully it looks like it's here to stay. The NHL is still working on it's crackdown of it, but for the time being it's here, right now.

Professional sports has always been a win-first mentality, and in the Stanley Cup Finals winning is the operative goal. Now if Franzen had taken this dive in, lets say, the 46th game of the regular season I'd have a problem with it. But in the Cup Finals, where every little thing matters and you are fighting for a childhood dream, then sorry but taking the dive will help your team.

You all seem blind and oblivious to the fact that this is the Cup Finals. Winning matters at any cost. If a dive equals a ring then I wouldn't mind doing the deed. Would you?

P.S. Get off your high horses. This is sports, not the spelling bee. Being a self righteous moron just makes you look ignorant.

What the ......?
I actually agreed partially with your first two sentences and then you went off on a tangent that not only makes little sense, but just sounds wrong,
There are way too many posters who equate winning at any cost being the same as being a winner, HUGE difference. First and foremost, it's a sport, a game, a pastime, an entertainment outlet, not real life. You said the same thing in your P.S. statement and then proceeded to slag anyone who doesn't want to see the nonsense(All while hiding behind the anonymity of a guest account might I add). As much as I enjoy the game, it's just that. Win with integrity,(that includes not throwing the questionable cheap shots at players), or don't play!!

These players ARE paid to win, but they also have a responsibility to be role models for fans of the game and therefore need to play the GAME, with that intent. By accepting their huge paychecks, they, whether they realize it or not, have put themselves in that position and need to act accordingly. It's not self righteousness to ask that of them, it's respect for the fans who support their careers.

Too many players have made too many sacrifices of their bodies to adopt the position that theatrics equals being a winner. Bobby Baun scoring an overtime winner on a broken ankle, Ryan Smyth picking up his chiclets and continuing, Mario Lemieux playing the same day he finished cancer treatments, more recently Malone taking a slapshot to the face and playing on...these are examples of playing to win, not this nonsense that a dive can only help my team win....bull****!!

We're all paid to do a job, and most of us don't sacrifice our integrity to do it, why should we expect any less out our athletes?

I think that there is something that should be made a point here.....Franzen is European, where they have been bred to dive. As per your post, I bolded something that didn't make sense. For NHL players it simply isn't JUST a sport, or JUST a game. Especially in the Stanley Cup Finals. It's their REAL life. what they have worked for since they were little and first picked up a hockey stick It's not something that they do when they're bored, but they do it to get paid. They are living a dream.

On to the point at hand, I would argue that diving is the same as hooking, holding or tripping (apart from the 20% (maybe, I'm being generous) that are unintentional). Would you disagree? Ar all players who hook a somebody to impede them "Sacrificing their Integrity"? Of course not! In fact, when a player hooks or trips someone it is often said that they are committing a selfish play, one that hurts the team. But if a player dives, he isn't being selfish. He is trying to help the team. Is it legal or right? No, but neither is hooking a guy who has just cleanly gone past you.
Guest6829 Posted - 06/04/2008 : 12:48:50
quote:

quote:

quote:

What the ......?

Guest6829 Posted - 06/04/2008 : 12:48:19
quote:

quote:

What the ......?

I think that there is something that should be made a point here.....Franzen is European, where they have been bred to dive. As per your post, I bolded something that didn't make sense. For NHL players it simply isn't JUST a sport, or JUST a game. Especially in the Stanley Cup Finals. It's their REAL life. what thay have worked for since they were little and first picked up a hockey stick It's not something that they do when they're bored, but they do it to get paid. They are living a dream.

On to the point at hand, I would argue that diving is the same as hookimg, holding or tripping (apart from the 20% (maybe, I'm being generous) that are unintentional). Would you disagree? Ar all players who hook a somebody to impede them "Sacrificing their Integrity"? Of course not! In fact, when a player hooks or tripps someone it is often said that they are commiting a selfish play, one that hurts the team. But if a player dives, he isn't being selfish. He is trying to help the team. Is it legal or right? No, but neither is hooking a guy who has just cleanly gone past you.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 06/04/2008 : 12:20:29
quote:

What the ......?

Guest6829 Posted - 06/03/2008 : 14:14:00

Guest5372 Posted - 06/03/2008 : 13:45:31
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101
Despite if it is wrong or not it is in sports today. Hooking, holding and the like were part of the NHL for a long time, and affected players during a game and caused many injuries. But it was acceptable in that time, like diving is more or less acceptable now.

Sports is now, and always has been, based on winning. If helping my team win means embellishing a bit to maybe give them a spark or a powerplay, I'll do it. Because when it is all said and done, the mumbers on the scoreboard are the onjly things that matter.

Wow I'm surprised you even watch hockey. I hear Euro08 is starting soon. Have fun watching the fishes flop.
n/a Posted - 06/02/2008 : 04:36:29
In reply to Guest 9536, re:
quote:
oh pulease!!!! Everything GOOD that sports stands for??? you mean like the billions of dollars in ticket revenues alone? Is that the goodness you are speaking of? bleeding hearts! Amateur sports sure, professional sports though, get off your high horse man. Who hasn't embelished a hit, clip whatever? Some of you guys are so righteous you'd think that you had golden wings on your backs.

- - - -

Yes, everything good that sports stands for - as opposed to, say, the bad things sports stand for. Just because sports stand for good righteous things, doesn't make it exclusively good, dude. English comprehension 101.

I am against the profiteering, big business attitude which is prevalent in sports today. But sport, for me and for others, represents something more, something more noble. I promote and laud the players who are the embodiment of that ethic and morality - the Sakics and Yzermans of the world. To the best of my ability, I discourage dirty play and cheating, whether it is me playing volleyball on my own recreational time, or talking hockey on a website. If you want to be a good, moral and responsible citizen, you should think hard about who your heroes are and what qualities as human beings they possess.

I understand that I sound self-righteous to you, but that is because my cause is righteous, and I put my money where my mouth is, everyday.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Open_Ice Posted - 06/01/2008 : 20:53:34
So Bertuzzi, McSorley and Simon are in the clear?

They are extreme cases yes, but there are boundaries that shouldnt be crossed...and I think a clear hit to the head on a star player returning from concussion is crossing the line.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 06/01/2008 : 12:38:01
quote:
Originally posted by Open_Ice

Disgraceful.

No matter how hard Roberts actually hit Franzen it was entirely intentional and regardless of how Franzen handles the situation afterwords it was a cheapshot. I have lost all respect for Roberts.

Pittsburgh fans that think otherwise should consider how they would feel if the same thing happened to Crosby instead...

Please tell me you have never played hockey before. Last time I checked, this was a game played by men.

If you find the hit on Franzen more disgraceful than the way Franzen dove after it, then you may want to start watching more poker or darts.
Guest4043 Posted - 06/01/2008 : 00:08:59
So IHC and 6505, I guess that Babcock is dirty coach because Maltby and Chelios are dirty players. hmmmmm....must be true because you said it. Is that your reasoning?

get a grip boys.
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 05/31/2008 : 19:17:36
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6505

GUYS!
FIRST OFF.
My impression was that is was a glove in Franzen's eye. That is why he stayed down. If you watch carefully after he gets up, he's checks his eye and does some of those "hard blinks" that you do when you are trying to get something out of your eye.
Secondly.
Gary Roberts WAS trying to hit Franzen in the head, he just missed.
Gill punches Franzen in the head behind the play (when the refs aren't looking, but it was caught on camera) and also Talbot punches Franzen in the face during a scrum.
This smacks of a classless coach completely. 3 plays where players are deliberately going out of their way to hit someone in the way. If I caught 3 plays there were probably much more.

Therien is just that type of coach, which sucks because I really like the Penguins. But deliberatly hitting a player in the head the first game he comes back from a concussion, is trying to end someone's career (and it had just started). That is pretty low.

Keep your stick on the ice boys (and girls)!!

YES!!!!!!!
Therien is by far the worst member of the team...He is cheap, he whines more than sid, and he sucked sid off way too hard.

Guest6505 Posted - 05/31/2008 : 18:09:37
GUYS!
FIRST OFF.
My impression was that is was a glove in Franzen's eye. That is why he stayed down. If you watch carefully after he gets up, he's checks his eye and does some of those "hard blinks" that you do when you are trying to get something out of your eye.
Secondly.
Gary Roberts WAS trying to hit Franzen in the head, he just missed.
Gill punches Franzen in the head behind the play (when the refs aren't looking, but it was caught on camera) and also Talbot punches Franzen in the face during a scrum.
This smacks of a classless coach completely. 3 plays where players are deliberately going out of their way to hit someone in the way. If I caught 3 plays there were probably much more.

Therien is just that type of coach, which sucks because I really like the Penguins. But deliberatly hitting a player in the head the first game he comes back from a concussion, is trying to end someone's career (and it had just started). That is pretty low.

Keep your stick on the ice boys (and girls)!!
Guest9656 Posted - 05/30/2008 : 13:14:55
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9536

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

THIS GOES AGAINST EVERYTHING GOOD THAT SPORTS STANDS FOR.

oh pulease!!!! Everything GOOD that sports stands for??? you mean like the billions of dollars in ticket revenues alone? Is that the goodness you are speaking of? bleeding hearts! Amateur sports sure, professional sports though, get off your high horse man. Who hasn't embelished a hit, clip whatever? Some of you guys are so righteous you'd think that you had golden wings on your backs.

Great post!
Guest9536 Posted - 05/30/2008 : 12:41:25
quote:

leafsfan_101 Posted - 05/29/2008 : 16:28:48
quote:

leafsfan 101 - I am going to have to get self-righteous on your ass!

Your opinion about how you would "do whatever it takes to win", with your "flop like a fish" scenario clearly dictates that you would be willing to cheat and lie in order to prevail.
Unfortunately, this is the kind of s***-stained attitude that has been slowly creeping into sports since the 70s or earlier, and the whole concept of cheating has become mainstream and acceptable at times. But make no mistake about it:

IT IS WRONG.

I will stand up and strike down those who defend this unsporting conduct. What'd your daddy teach you, anyways?!?

Straighten up and fly right.

Despite if it is wrong or not it is in sports today. Hooking, holding and the like were part of the NHL for a long time, and affected players during a game and caused many injuries. But it was acceptable in that time, like diving is more or less acceptable now.

Sports is now, and always has been, based on winning. If helping my team win means embellishing a bit to maybe give them a spark or a powerplay, I'll do it. Because when it is all said and done, the mumbers on the scoreboard are the onjly things that matter.
Guest9536 Posted - 05/29/2008 : 16:20:52
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9378

what is sad here is that if roberts has to use gloves hands or elbows to take out a player then that tells me the game has passed him by.

give me a break! like Leigh said, it happens all the time by young and old guys. it's not an indication of the game passing him by at all. he was skating down ice outside of the play and took a jab at an opponent. It's not the first or the last time he will do it. Nor is it the first or last time others will do it. it's hockey boys! suck it up!
Guest9378 Posted - 05/29/2008 : 15:54:07
what is sad here is that if roberts has to use gloves hands or elbows to take out a player then that tells me the game has passed him by.if a player who is comimg off an injury and is not 100% then he should be weary of cheap shots unlike the ones scott stevens dished which were actually a hockey play(open ice checks) those are the hits i miss!!!
willus3 Posted - 05/29/2008 : 09:19:23
quote:

Your opinion about how you would "do whatever it takes to win", with your "flop like a fish" scenario clearly dictates that you would be willing to cheat and lie in order to prevail.
Unfortunately, this is the kind of s***-stained attitude that has been slowly creeping into sports since the 70s or earlier, and the whole concept of cheating has become mainstream and acceptable at times. But make no mistake about it:

IT IS WRONG.

I will stand up and strike down those who defend this unsporting conduct. What'd your daddy teach you, anyways?!?

Great post. It would seem there is no more "honour among thieves" so to speak anymore.
I'd be too ashamed to feign being hurt. Doing anything it takes to win means playing your ass off not acting like a baby to try and draw a penalty.
The sissification(a Bushism for you) of Hockey continues.
Radoria Posted - 05/29/2008 : 07:03:30
I may be wrong but there seems to be a lot more diving nowadays in hockey than there was a few years ago. What would not be ideal is if our glorious NHL players started behaving like soccer players, which it seems some of them are doing.
n/a Posted - 05/29/2008 : 05:08:20

IT IS WRONG.

leafsfan_101 Posted - 05/28/2008 : 15:19:42
I think diving is used today almost as frequently as calling out the player on the other team....both are used to gain a competitive edge. If I was in the Cup Finals and had come back from injury and someone threw a cheap shot - even a light one - in my direction I would flop like a fish. Why? Because it gives my team the competitive edge, especially when it happens before the players can see it on video replay later.

I say do whatever it takes to win, at any cost. Franzen took a dive to help his team on the biggest stage in hockey, and give them extra motivation to play the Pens. It comes down to winning games, and Franzen has done that for his team. Good job Mule!
leigh Posted - 05/28/2008 : 13:39:57
Why are we even talking about this? This type of thing happens a dozen times every game in the NHL (hell it happens a few times a game in my rec league!). Roberts deserved a roughing call at best. It probably hurt a little bit and Franzen didn't deserve it, but it's clear he embelished it to draw a penalty.

This is nothing. IHC, this is a little dramatic buddy. You must have Franzen in your pool LOL!

99Pickles - great idea on the diving video! Shame works wonders!
99pickles Posted - 05/28/2008 : 09:09:48
quote:
Originally posted by Open_Ice

Disgraceful.

No matter how hard Roberts actually hit Franzen it was entirely intentional and regardless of how Franzen handles the situation afterwords it was a cheapshot. I have lost all respect for Roberts.

Pittsburgh fans that think otherwise should consider how they would feel if the same thing happened to Crosby instead...

I would say the same thing no matter who the faker is. Hell, I feel the same way EVERY time a replay shows how pathetic divers and fakers look. Now that's a DVD the NHL should sell....maybe the embarrassment factor would help to eliminate this from roller-derby-hockey.
Open_Ice Posted - 05/28/2008 : 08:56:33
Disgraceful.

n/a Posted - 05/28/2008 : 07:51:18
Well said, fat_elvis_rocked! And hilarious handle, by the bye . . . make me chuckle every time I read it.

Key element missing for some commentators: WATCH A REPLAY OF THE ACTION YOU ARE COMMENTING ON !

As others have said, Detroit certainly doesn't need to be diving, they are playing great defensive hockey - so this bulls*** should not be tolerated.

Trust me, if Roberts had actually nailed Franzy the Pansy with an elbow to the head, he wouldn't have been playing the next shift. Roberts is a tough, classy player - just plays good, hard-nosed hockey, even in the twilight of his career.

99pickles Posted - 05/28/2008 : 01:32:29
quote:

Actually, after reading the post, I went to youtube and watched the clip...granted Roberts did ... sort of hit him in the head...it was his gloved hand in the face...not his elbow..and Franzen actually took a second or so to look around to make sure it was a Penguin before he flopped to the ice like one of those tossed octopi they like so much in Detroit.
What I find classless, is that in an intense Stanley cup final game, a player will use a previous injury to try and DRAW a penalty...that speaks louder of classlessness, especially since the Mule was able to get up and chirp afterwards with no apparent residual injury other than the fact that he had to anatomically remove his head from his arse.
Gary Roberts was only playing the way he has his whole career, intense and on an edge. With the talent that Detroit has, it's a shame they are resorting to the tactics they did in that game. Furthermore, for someone who espouses a constant hatred for Crosby, and I am assuming his purported whining, I wonder aloud, which would you be...the pot or the kettle...I realize we all are entitled to our opinions, but please, have some logic to back them up...they may actually make sense then...

Thank you!!

I think the mule looked pretty silly here....

On a side note: Sure, there are some things that are wrong with our game right now that we need to address, but c'mon guys...WE WILL ALWAYS BE BUSH LEAGUE IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS IF WE CONTINUE TO ACT LIKE LIKE THIS !!

This league will not move up in fan growth (or, more importantly, stop the slide to "roller derby" status) until the diving, faking, and soccer-type antics are removed and punished.

Am I the only one here that wants to see men be men? Am I the only one here that wants to see the instigator removed? Am I the only one here that wants to cheap-shot artists receive their comeuppance?? Am I the only one here that, as a hockey player, would punish and destroy the delicate when they tried dive and fake their way to drawing a penalty?!?

This is not a game for the delicate. This is not a game for the weak or faint of heart. And this is not a game for FAKING injury. "Are you hurt, or are you injured" is my most favourite quote ever. Because if you are injured, we will scrape you off the ice and keep playing. But if you're just hurt, then suck it up and go to the bench so we can keep playing.
Stanley cups have been won on the strength of goals scored by guys with broken legs...league games were won by guys who would soon die from tuberculosis...Stanley Cup matches were played by guys in the throes of world-wide epidemic influenzas.......and you're going to take a peek around before you feign injury?!? Puh-leeease!!!
Guest5721 Posted - 05/28/2008 : 00:49:25
quote:

Actually, after reading the post, I went to youtube and watched the clip...granted Roberts did ... sort of hit him in the head...it was his gloved hand in the face...not his elbow..and Franzen actually took a second or so to look around to make sure it was a Penguin before he flopped to the ice like one of those tossed octopi they like so much in Detroit.
What I find classless, is that in an intense Stanley cup final game, a player will use a previous injury to try and DRAW a penalty...that speaks louder of classlessness, especially since the Mule was able to get up and chirp afterwards with no apparent residual injury other than the fact that he had to anatomically remove his head from his arse.
Gary Roberts was only playing the way he has his whole career, intense and on an edge. With the talent that Detroit has, it's a shame they are resorting to the tactics they did in that game. Furthermore, for someone who espouses a constant hatred for Crosby, and I am assuming his purported whining, I wonder aloud, which would you be...the pot or the kettle...I realize we all are entitled to our opinions, but please, have some logic to back them up...they may actually make sense then...

I agree 100%! There seems to be quite a bit of diving going on by the team that shouldn't need to.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 05/27/2008 : 22:40:09
Datsyuk 1 Posted - 05/27/2008 : 21:10:52
Yeah I didn't see the hit but that is very unclassy and very disrespecful. by the way is Franzen out again?
Pasty7 Posted - 05/27/2008 : 15:42:57
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

well gary roberts sure he could score but his legacy was more for being the tough guy that thre elbows at heads.....

Pasty

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page