Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Steve Stamkos - comparison

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 06/09/2008 : 06:16:57
Steve Stamkos is almost guaranteed to be the first overall draft pick in this year's draft. Will he be be as big a superstar as everyone thinks he will be? Who do you think he will be most comparable to in the NHL?
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
99pickles Posted - 07/04/2008 : 01:49:16
I don't recall Beans saying anything bad about Berard...he just suggested that Berard hasn't quite turned out to be a franchise player (no matter what the reason).
Guest8852 Posted - 07/03/2008 : 23:19:54
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I used to have a quote on the bottom of my posts that said for people to do their homework. I think I need to put it back up!!

Stamkos is a centre. So is Lecavalier. The only time they will play together is on the PP. Maybe. St. Louis and Lecavalier have the 1-2 punch thing down pretty well, so St. Louis will not be playing with Stamkos either.

I have heard that the Tampa Bay management do not want to rush the kid into a spot he is not ready for. From what I heard, he is going to start the year on the third line and depending on his development, move into the 2nd line centre spot. It also depends on what Jeff Halpren does. Don't forget, Halpren dropped in 20 goals and 42 points in just 16 minutes a game. Stamkos isn't really a step up on that yet.

Plus, the kid has never played an NHL game. How many of you guys would call Patrik Stefan, Chris Phillips, Bryan Berard, or Alexander Daigle a franchise player??? They were all 1st over all draft picks as well.

I don't see Stamkos as a superstar. A good player in the league, but I don't think he will ever lead the league in scoring. Hell, I doubt he would be in the top 10. And with Lecavalier set to sign about an 8 year contract, he is going to be waiting a long time in TB to be the #1 centre.

Just my point of view.

Beans dont talk bad about bryan berard
hes had a bad life

drug problems
missing an eye
mental problems
99pickles Posted - 07/02/2008 : 21:12:01
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy12
This kid is probably easily going to put up 90-100 points in his rookie season

No matter when his rookie year is, "easily going to put up 90-100 pts" seems like a pretty tall order. With all these acquisitions TBay has made, he'll have a hard time getting ice time now.
Jeremy12 Posted - 07/02/2008 : 13:50:40
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:

Still see him getting 90-100 points in his rookie season. Especially with the players he's going to be playing with

[IMG]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x49/Jeremy12_24/spezza_sig21.jpg[/IMG]

90-100 points?? As a Rookie?? Seriously, I will eat my shirt if that happens. Let's think about this for a second. How many players (not just rookies) get more than 90 points a season???

2002-2003 - 8 Players got 90 points or more
2003-2004 - 1 Player got 90 points or more
2005-2006 - 14 Players got 90 points or more
2006-2007 - 14 Players got 90 points or more
2007-2008 - 8 Players got 90 points or more

In the past 5 seasons there have been a total of 45 players who have totaled 90 points or more in a season. That's like 9 a year!

Now, for the Rookies

2002-2003 - Highest scoring rookie with 44 points, Henrik Zetterberg
2003-2004 - Highest scoring rookie with 63 points, Michael Ryder
2005-2006 - Highest scoring rookie with 106 points, Alexander Ovechkin (Crosby also had 102)
2006-2007 - Highest scoring rookie with 85 points, Gino Malkin
2007-2008 - Highest scoring rookie with 72 points, Patrick Kane.

How in the hell can Stamkos, who is not anywhere near the player right now as any of the rookies I listed (ok, maybe Ryder) above get 90 or more points??? He is no where near an Ovechkin, Crosby, or Malkin. Not even close to a Zetterberg or Kane!!

How do we know that Stamkos will even crack the squad this year??? Tampa has picked up Ryan Malone, Gary Roberts, Vaclav Prospal, Radim Vrbata, and Adam Hall in the past week or so alone. Add this to Lecavalier, St. Louis, Jokinen, Halpren and the likes, how much room is left?? Even if he makes the squad (which I think he will) how many minutes are left???

I swear I will record myself eating my shirt and post it on here if Stamkos gets 90 or more points.

You can give me all the stats you want in the world, I still see this kid being a superstar and getting 90-100 points
I never said it would be this year i said it would be in his ROOKIE season. The Lightning might send him back to the Sting for another season to develop his skills more.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 07/02/2008 : 11:08:40
As much as I would love to see Beans eating his shirt, I just don't see it happening! Stamkos will not be getting 100 points in his first season! Look at it this way, in the OHL, playing with kids his own age, he had 92 and 105 points in his 2 seasons. Granted, that is in a 63 game season but if he can barely make a 100 points in a league that he is supposed to be dominating, there is no way he will get 100 points in HIS FIRST YEAR in the NHL with people that are bigger, stronger, faster, and more experienced than him! MAYBE in about 4 or 5 years but not this year.
I have seen Stamkos play a couple times. THe man has some sick moves! He is an amazing hockey player and will be a good hockey player in the NHL. But he will not be the next Gretzky, Lemieux, Ovie, or Crosby.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Beans15 Posted - 07/01/2008 : 17:37:53
quote:

Still see him getting 90-100 points in his rookie season. Especially with the players he's going to be playing with

90-100 points?? As a Rookie?? Seriously, I will eat my shirt if that happens. Let's think about this for a second. How many players (not just rookies) get more than 90 points a season???

2002-2003 - 8 Players got 90 points or more
2003-2004 - 1 Player got 90 points or more
2005-2006 - 14 Players got 90 points or more
2006-2007 - 14 Players got 90 points or more
2007-2008 - 8 Players got 90 points or more

In the past 5 seasons there have been a total of 45 players who have totaled 90 points or more in a season. That's like 9 a year!

Now, for the Rookies

2002-2003 - Highest scoring rookie with 44 points, Henrik Zetterberg
2003-2004 - Highest scoring rookie with 63 points, Michael Ryder
2005-2006 - Highest scoring rookie with 106 points, Alexander Ovechkin (Crosby also had 102)
2006-2007 - Highest scoring rookie with 85 points, Gino Malkin
2007-2008 - Highest scoring rookie with 72 points, Patrick Kane.

How in the hell can Stamkos, who is not anywhere near the player right now as any of the rookies I listed (ok, maybe Ryder) above get 90 or more points??? He is no where near an Ovechkin, Crosby, or Malkin. Not even close to a Zetterberg or Kane!!

How do we know that Stamkos will even crack the squad this year??? Tampa has picked up Ryan Malone, Gary Roberts, Vaclav Prospal, Radim Vrbata, and Adam Hall in the past week or so alone. Add this to Lecavalier, St. Louis, Jokinen, Halpren and the likes, how much room is left?? Even if he makes the squad (which I think he will) how many minutes are left???

I swear I will record myself eating my shirt and post it on here if Stamkos gets 90 or more points.

Guest9935 Posted - 07/01/2008 : 15:52:35
Prob play similar to Yzerman/Sakic... he is soft! i think he will be a career 70-90 point man with a few excellent years!
Guest7525 Posted - 07/01/2008 : 09:49:10
he'll probably be playing with someone like Jokinen and Oullette.. Unless they move him on wing with Lecavalier and St.Louis, i dont see 90 points possible.

-shinnyafterschool
Jeremy12 Posted - 06/30/2008 : 17:18:25

99pickles Posted - 06/28/2008 : 02:52:36
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

like beans said and like i said in the second or third post,,, the kid should be good and has what it takes to put up 100 pts but not for his first two years ,, he will devellop in my opinion at the same pace as guys like Carter Richards Geztlaf,, don't forget it wasn;t so long ago the rookie of the year would only put up 60 or 50 points people tend to forget ,, guys like Malkin Crosby Ovie kane they are not your average rookies!! these guys are not gonna come out of the draft every year!!!

Pasty

There's a good chance that none of these guys will ever enjoy a 100 pt season in the NHL. After 3rd year breakouts, their bests are 82, 75, and 53 points (Getzlaf/Richards/Carter, that is). Crosby must be considered at least slightly better than these guys, and his best is 120 pts. Ovie's best is 112, and isn't he a little superior than these guys's best??
Let's put things into perspective here, boys. I know everyone wants to be the first to predict the second coming, but it'll be obvious when that happens.
Stamkos will certainly be a sound NHL'er, but it would be likely to expect a 55-70 pt first season AT BEST...followed by slight improvements until a 3rd or 4th year breakout resulting in a 90 something point season. But until the league makes further offensive-minded changes I doubt that he will exceed 100 pts by much, ever.

Now that I've said this, watch the Lightning go all out and play firewagon hockey resulting in major points production for the next couple years!!
Pasty7 Posted - 06/27/2008 : 17:23:46
like beans said and like i said in the second or third post,,, the kid should be good and has what it takes to put up 100 pts but not for his first two years ,, he will devellop in my opinion at the same pace as guys like Carter Richards Geztlaf,, don't forget it wasn;t so long ago the rookie of the year would only put up 60 or 50 points people tend to forget ,, guys like Malkin Crosby Ovie kane they are not your average rookies!! these guys are not gonna come out of the draft every year!!!

Pasty
Axey Posted - 06/27/2008 : 11:34:36
Why can't Stamkos get it done on the second line ? I dont see why not, a name comes to mind that has, Malkin. Yes not as 'good' yet, but give the guy a chance. He is going to do fine and be successful and will be a superstar in the league
Beans15 Posted - 06/26/2008 : 09:58:23
I used to have a quote on the bottom of my posts that said for people to do their homework. I think I need to put it back up!!

Stamkos is a centre. So is Lecavalier. The only time they will play together is on the PP. Maybe. St. Louis and Lecavalier have the 1-2 punch thing down pretty well, so St. Louis will not be playing with Stamkos either.

I have heard that the Tampa Bay management do not want to rush the kid into a spot he is not ready for. From what I heard, he is going to start the year on the third line and depending on his development, move into the 2nd line centre spot. It also depends on what Jeff Halpren does. Don't forget, Halpren dropped in 20 goals and 42 points in just 16 minutes a game. Stamkos isn't really a step up on that yet.

Plus, the kid has never played an NHL game. How many of you guys would call Patrik Stefan, Chris Phillips, Bryan Berard, or Alexander Daigle a franchise player??? They were all 1st over all draft picks as well.

I don't see Stamkos as a superstar. A good player in the league, but I don't think he will ever lead the league in scoring. Hell, I doubt he would be in the top 10. And with Lecavalier set to sign about an 8 year contract, he is going to be waiting a long time in TB to be the #1 centre.

Just my point of view.
99pickles Posted - 06/26/2008 : 02:19:56
No way this guy puts up over 90 pts. this year. Anyone wanna bet?? I will even give you odds....
Jeremy12 Posted - 06/25/2008 : 20:02:52
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7593

Yzerman

He'll probably put up Corey Perry numbers in his first year.

Corey Perry typer numbers?
This kid is probably easily going to put up 90-100 points in his rookie season

PainTrain Posted - 06/10/2008 : 16:37:45
If Tampa Bay takes him he'll put up 60-70 points because he will be playing with Vinny Lecavalier and Marting St.Louis. Prospal had numbers like that playing with those two and Stamkos is better so we'll what happens.

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!
Pasty7 Posted - 06/10/2008 : 06:46:10
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7593

Yzerman

Yzerman is a strecht i think for this kid.. but i do see him playing very similar to as you say corey perry or maybe a touch more like Geztlaf,,, all in all hes not gonna pull a ovie or sid th kid and break in with 100 plus points,,, i could see him being near the 40 to 50 poimark though in his rookie year,,, and then start putting up big numbers 2 or 3 years down the line

Pasty
Guest7593 Posted - 06/09/2008 : 12:16:44
Yzerman

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page