Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 On this day in hockey

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hockster Posted - 07/07/2008 : 23:24:50
Today had some signings that while not highly sout after players, some that could make a huge difference to their new respective teams
bertuzzi to flames
morrison to ducks
recchi to lightning
umberger signs with columbous

all have low risk and high upside with their new team.
recchi is kind of a wild card due to his age, but it would be a great fit for both himself and his new team.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
99pickles Posted - 07/15/2008 : 13:18:27
quote:
Originally posted by hockster

once again the leafs add a third/fourth line player who they will play on the second.

That's how I see it too. If they could just add a couple major pieces to build around instead of building around the vacancy, they might improve a lot more.
hockster Posted - 07/14/2008 : 21:23:29
once again the leafs add a third/fourth line player who they will play on the second.
99pickles Posted - 07/14/2008 : 14:55:12
So today the Leafs made their move:

To the Rangers: 5th rounder in '09 (prev. acquired from Pitt in Hal Gill trade)

To the Leafs: Ryan Hollwegg

I suppose they are trying to replace a little grit with this one.
hockster Posted - 07/13/2008 : 16:10:25
one of the first times we have agreed beans, lol

Im looking forward to the season, and even if some of those things go wrong the rest of the northwest is weak enough that both teams should still make playoffs.
Beans15 Posted - 07/13/2008 : 14:55:19
Couldn't agree with you more Hockster. There are a number of things that have to happen for the Oilers to succeed.

1) Garon repeats last seasons performance.
2) The kids don't slump
3) Horcoff still has All Star form after missing 1/2 of the season.
4) Souray scores more than 10 on the PP
5) Either Cole/Hemsky or Penner/Hemsky click early and the Oil have their first 35 goal scorer since the Hairbag left town.

If those things happen, Edmonton wins the NW. Calgary is going to find secondary scoring. Calgary might be an interesting situation though. You have Iginla, Langkow, Cammalleri, Bertuzzi, Lombardi, and Conroy. I would say that 2 of those guys know they are 2nd liners, but there will be an odd man out that will be playing 2nd line but thinking they are 1st line. Their defense looks pretty good and so does the goaltending.

It has been far far too long since the two Alberta teams have truely battled for the division. I sure hope this year returns us to the battle of Alberta.
hockster Posted - 07/13/2008 : 12:29:31
i think when decideing the division champ it will come down to how well calgarys veterns play, or how well edmontons rookies avoid the sophomore slump. People are giving them to much credit because of the great run they went on at the end of the year. The kid line should at least match their points of last year, because gagne only had 13 goals and nillson had 10. Fourth line grinders brodziak and glencross had 14, and 15 repectively. for the most part it will come down to if garon will be able to keep up his play
Guest4043 Posted - 07/12/2008 : 21:46:00
Morrisson is a non-factor. He's got nothing. some guys are just a flash in the pan, he is one of them
99pickles Posted - 07/11/2008 : 06:19:28
Hey, when the heck did Radulov sign in Russia? And now that there is a transfer agreement in place, will it be a valid contract?

I hope a sleepy GM in one of my fantasy leagues takes him this year !!
99pickles Posted - 07/11/2008 : 01:11:32
I believe Minny is a step behind now, beans, otherwise I agree with the rest.
Beans15 Posted - 07/10/2008 : 17:56:21
The Northwest will still be a very tight division and it will more than likely be as it has been for the past 5 seasons. 1st through 4th will not be decided until the last few weeks of the season.

Calgary/Edmonton will fight for 1st and 2nd
Colorado/Minnesots will fight for 3rd and 4th
Vancouver will be out of it by the trade deadline.

Three of the 5 teams will make the playoffs. One team in 3rd (automatically), the other 2 will be 6th, 7th, or 8th.
hockster Posted - 07/10/2008 : 16:37:18
Calgary and edmonton are the only teams who got better, or at least didnt get worst.
The other three in the northwest have been decimated
99pickles Posted - 07/10/2008 : 11:28:00
I certainly hope Bertuzzi does well with Calgary, subsequently , I certainly hope they do well - I'm just not sure it's going to happen. The good thing is that Minny and Van have done very little to improve their teams.
Axey Posted - 07/10/2008 : 08:22:31
Calgary always has a chance with Iginla, Phaneuf and Kiprusoff. Also check out Bertuzzi's stats, last year was the first year he wasn't close to a PPG. I think on this team he could rebound, he was just used incorrectly last year. Calgary will not be 4th mark my words. Remember the SanJose series? They can contend.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 07/09/2008 : 11:15:29
Edmonton definitely improved the most, not only with their additions, but all their young guys have one more year of experience. Calgary and Minnesota didn't do much but both improved somewhat this offseason. Colorado lost some key players (Brunette, Theodore, Sakic????) but could contend, depending on the performance of other players (Budai/Raycroft, Smyth, Tucker, Svatos). Vancouver had a terrible offence that just got worse. They will be bottom 5 in the league this year, with the only thing keeping them from being dead last being Luongo.
My prediction for the standings:
Edmonton
Minnesota
Colorado
Calgary
Vancouver

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
hockster Posted - 07/09/2008 : 10:37:44
i think colorado looks the weakest they lost their goalie, brunette, and a couple D. they look the weakest in my opinion and if sakic doesnt return i dont even want to think about them. Vancouver is in the same boat as them.

Minnesota and calgary will battle for div champs, and edmonton will battle for the playoffs.
hockster Posted - 07/08/2008 : 22:17:28
Edmontons only really positive pickup is Cole
other then that they havent made any amazing deals.
99pickles Posted - 07/08/2008 : 17:24:59
They had such a great finish, and you put that together with their additions..it just seems like they are poised for a solid breakthrough season, no? Calgary, Minnesota and Vancouver don't seem to have improved significantly, if at all; Colorado looks strong. So maybe Edmonton and Colorado will duke it out as the best 2 in the division?

Of course, this is speculation based solely on what they look like on paper.
hockster Posted - 07/08/2008 : 16:07:13
im not sold on the edmonton moves
99pickles Posted - 07/08/2008 : 11:27:30
I think the Umberger deal is great for Columbus. Tampa, Edmonton and Columbus had a great free agency season, it seems.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page