Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 NHL loses another player to Russia

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 07/11/2008 : 09:19:07
Alexander Radulov signs with Russia and leaves Nashville.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243143&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

Too bad a guy I had in my pool last year and he was going to get even better. Huge loss for preds. According to the article Radulov sounds like he gets treated like a God in Russia saying the conditions are much better. Interesting.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
99pickles Posted - 07/16/2008 : 14:35:57
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

I still can't believe that no team took a chance on Emery. It baffles me. even the Flames need a decent back up.

This 3 team deal we keep hearing the rumours about ....Ottawa should have put it together with Emery instead of Gerber....kill 2 birds with one stone. And of course, get something different back from Chicago than Khabiboulin, if they were keeping Gerber.
leigh Posted - 07/16/2008 : 10:51:30
I still can't believe that no team took a chance on Emery. It baffles me. even the Flames need a decent back up.
99pickles Posted - 07/16/2008 : 07:28:40
quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

meh

Leafsfan_94

Whose "meh" and who did he sign with??
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 07/15/2008 : 18:18:39
meh

Leafsfan_94

99pickles Posted - 07/15/2008 : 16:42:31
So off the top of my head:

- Alexander Radulov signs with Ufa (Russia)

- Stefan Ruzicka, Philly forward, signs with Spartak Moscow

- Patrick Thoreson, Philly forward, signs with HC Lugano (Swiss)

- Martin Straka signs with HC Plzen (Czech)

- Ray Emery signs with Atlant Mystichy (Russia)

- Chris Simon signs with Vityaz Chekhov (Russia)

And of course, Jagr signed with Avangard Omsk.

Coming the other way:

- Yashin wants to come back

- Foppa says he will only come back to Colorado, and it will not be until Nov/Dec due to more foot rehab

- I'll bet Belfour would come back
Axey Posted - 07/13/2008 : 08:06:58
The agreement was that neither league can offer contracts to players who are still under contract with their organization in either league, the consequences are that the IIHF will ban them from all international play.
99pickles Posted - 07/13/2008 : 03:05:52
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4043

would the competition not drive the price of the players up?

This would normally be the case in a general supply-and-demand scenario, but the variable factor is: status.
I doubt that for $1M extra per season Crosby would play in any European league whether it be Swedish Elite, the Finish League, Russian Super league, the Continental league or wherever.

But it might actually drive up the price of middling players, marginal players, and career twilight players (Read: Anson Carter in Switzerland, Ed Belfour in Sweden, Chris Simon in Russia, Jamie McLennan in Japan etc...) although it won't have a significant long term effect on the elite level guys.

Of the 4 players I list as examples, in a different era they would simply have retired quietly, or disappeared, rather. Keep in mind CuJo has extended his career by playing abroad until an opportunity came along. Most of these guys are hoping the same. Except for the Strakas and Jagrs who are merely going home...a new type of hometown discount.
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 07/13/2008 : 02:44:16
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

This whole Russian league nonsense is pissing me off.

If you think a couple of players is bad can you imagine what this does to "smaller markets" like the nordic leagues? With the NHL pulling from one direction and the KHL from the other?

There are talks about a Nordic League as a way to raise the player salarys and to increase hockey interest in Denmark and Norway.
Guest4043 Posted - 07/12/2008 : 21:36:47
would the competition not drive the price of the players up?
99pickles Posted - 07/12/2008 : 13:20:48
I believe the IIHF facilitated the overall transfer agreement - the one that Russia would not sign. So I suppose they could ban someone from international competition. Have they done this before? I can't recall that they have, though.

Doesn't this remind anyone of turn-of-the-century professional hockey where the Pacific Coast league, and later, the Western League (not the junior one from today, obviously) were stealing players back and forth from the CAHA, the NHA, the Federal League, and finally the NHL??

Or does anyone even know about this stuff??

Just like the telephone company: competition, variety, choice, more opportunities make things better overall in the end. I just wish I could watch some of their games online - that would be nice. Maybe they could work out a nice deal with the NHL Network, no??
Beans15 Posted - 07/12/2008 : 10:42:18
Firstly, I don't understand why he wouldn't be able to play internationally?? I thought the transfer agreement was between the NHL and CHL, not IIHF.

Secondly, what's wrong with the Russian league and why would it piss anyone off? Players have a right to play where ever they want and make as much money as they want. The NHL has had a monopoly on hockey for the past 50 years, what's wrong will a little health and very real competition??

I think it is actually good for the sport as it will have the money grubby players and send them to Siberia.
Axey Posted - 07/11/2008 : 21:47:43
If he leaves he is banned from all international play, so I doubt he will leave. This whole Russian league nonsense is pissing me off.
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 07/11/2008 : 10:49:10
It´s not certain yet. It´s a big chance the deal won´t be approved either by IIHF or the KHL as the deal was made only hours after an agreement between the big hockey organisations in Zurich. If Radulov and UFA Salavat goes thru with the deal against IIHF wishes Radulov won´t be allowed to participate in the WC nor the Olympics.

Source: (I´ll guess you have to take my word for it )http://www.svd.se/sportspel/nyheter/artikel_1450667.svd

Edit: In English: http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/article/radulov-inks-debatable-deal.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=955&cHash=7ad8380bb7

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page