Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Toew's Chi Town's new captain!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pasty7 Posted - 07/20/2008 : 11:55:14
What is your opinion on Chicago's decision to make Jonathan Toews captain of the Chicago Blackhawks? And the third youngest captain in NHL history!?

Pasty
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 07/21/2008 : 03:07:36
Don´t have anything against it. Mainly because Chicago has alot of young players who are the future of the team. Would probably be of another opinion if Toews was the only or one of few young guys on the team. Doesn´t feel lika a media stunt to me.
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 07/20/2008 : 12:30:10
toews is a great player no doubt. but im not quite sure hes ready to be their leader. hmm well i guess it couldnt hurt. hopefully he'll make a great captain and im sure he wil

Leafsfan_94

Alex Posted - 07/20/2008 : 12:24:45
It's actually the basis of a pretty good discussion which I was planning on featuring in my blog soon. My view is that, generally speaking, captains should possess a couple key qualities:

1) Veteran 2) Long tenure on the team / franchise player

Sidney Crosby is one of those players that comes along once in a blue moon. Ditto for Alexander Ovechkin. To make anyone else a captain just confuses the team, and creates unneeded pressure. When you have a guy that you are building your franchise around, is a born leader, relates to the guys, and is the undisputed best player on your team, he's the captain. That's why Sidney Crosby is the captain, and it's the reason Ovie will be captain (the only thing IMO stopping him from already taking it is the language barrier.)

Now, is Jonathan Toews the 'Hawks franchise player? Perhaps. Then again, what about Kane and the others? You can't dismiss Keith, Sharp, Seabrook... Unlike the other teams that have gone with a young captain, Chicago doesn't have one guy that is clearly head and shoulders above the rest. What I would have done if I was Chicago would be to give the captaincy to a guy like Robert Lang until it's clear that the players respond to Toews and he can be a leader statistically as well as in the dressing room (oh, and stay healthy too!)

At this point it could go sweet or sour, which is why they should have sent in a veteran until some of the younger guys reach their coming out party. Then they could have made a more informed decision. Who knows is Toews can lead a team at such a young age and with only 64 games of NHL experience under his belt? When Crosby and Lecavlier were appointed captain they both had around 150 games of experience to show for themselves.

We'll see how this plays out, but I think they should have exercised a little more patience. It may very well turn out to be the right decision (he would be my choice, but in a couple years' time). Cheers!

EDIT: As a side note, there are very few captain choices in the NHL that I can say I disagree with. One of them is Boston (I'd give it to Murray way before Chara.) I also think it's about time San Jose adressed the elephant in their locker room and gave Thornton the captaincy. There's not one good reason Marleau deserves it more if you ask me. In Anaheim I'd give it back to Neidermayer, and then next year maybe to Getzlaf if he's ready. And lastly, in Dallas, while Morrow definitely has the credentials ot be a Stars captain, I don't understand why they wouldn't let Modano retire as captain first? Someone want to explain that to me please?

Proudly Celebrating Over 50 Blogs and Counting

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page