Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 It is IMPERATIVE that the Canadiens lose

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bablaboushka Posted - 04/25/2006 : 08:51:34
Allow me to repeat:
It is IMPERATIVE that the Canadiens lose.

But why? Well, for many reasons:

1) This part of my being a Toronto fan will ALWAYS live within me. They must lose.
2) Most of my friends cheer for them (makes me wonder why we are even friends, ha ha just joking), but I have a big "cheering rivalry" with one of my friend's family... I will never hear the end of it if they win even one series.
3) Canadiens fans are the most annoying fans that exist. "We've won 26 Stanley Cups, how many has your team won?". I'm starting to wonder if I should even start ranting about this argument... I'll save it for later but I'm sure you get my drift...
4) They are an embarrassment to playoff hockey. They'll win the first round my some magical luck and then get destroyed in the second round (specifically referring to 2003-04).
5) Montreal and Nashville are the two most disgraceful teams to watch, litterally. The biggest divers/babies in the league are on these teams (with a few exceptions). Even just last night's game, they never stay on their skates. A Canes player comes by them and they throw themself down with added drama.

Many more reasons, but these will do for now unless someone else reminds me of one...
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
leigh Posted - 04/26/2006 : 14:45:20
Babs, even when you piss me off you manage to put a smile on my face! good on ya!
bablaboushka Posted - 04/26/2006 : 10:34:17
Fair enough. Oh can't I wait until Toronto wins though, just to break the slump... no one likes a slump.

To DB: I will have nothing to do with the Leafs, even rip down and throw away all my Leafs belongings if they hire Crawford. Oh wow, that would be the worst case scenario.
Ryan Harper Posted - 04/26/2006 : 09:56:14
Here's how it works. I have a buddy that is unfortunately a Flames fan. We have been bashing each other's teams for as long as I can remember. He will always have bragging rights over me because I am a poor,sad, suffering Canucks fan. No matter what I say - he points to the '89 cup. And even though I hate it - he is right. When the Canucks went to the finals in '94 and the Flames were on a 7 year slump I had some room to brag - but still no cup. The Flames resurgence over the past few years isn't helping my cause. Every one in Canada was behind the Flames in the 2004 finals - except for me.

I understand your hatred of the Habs, but as a Leaf fan, Sharks fan, or whatever - you lose all arguments. At least until your team wins the cup - then the bragging rights belong to you.
Donald Beckett Posted - 04/26/2006 : 09:34:27
quote:
My whole point in this is to show that no argument can be made for saying that the Canadiens are the best team (now) by using the Stanley Cup argument.

Who is saying they are the best (now)? HELLO - they finished in 7th spot and even though they are up on Carolina they are still the underdog.

quote:
But god please stop talking about the Leafs, I honestly dont give a rat's behind about how they've failed too because they have, and badly.

So when the Leafs hire Marc Crawford, bring in some real talent, and finish a whole lot better next year do you still promise not to give a rat's behind?

bablaboushka Posted - 04/26/2006 : 06:49:21
Ha ha I like that...
leigh Posted - 04/25/2006 : 17:35:22
It depends how you qualify it. We all use time as the qualifying factor. So...

- In all of time Montreal is the greatest team
- Flames were the best in June of 1989
- In the last decade a case could be put forward for Colorado, Detroit or New Jersey
- Tampa Bay is the reigning champion
- Detroit was the best regular season team
- New Jersey had the best record in the last few games of the season
- And right at this second Ottawa is up 5 to 1 on TBay so they must be the best.

...whatever.
Goose Posted - 04/25/2006 : 17:26:27
Then I guess stats and figures are moot and all that matters is who you like as a team; who makes you feel the most warm and fuzzy. Imagine that.
bablaboushka Posted - 04/25/2006 : 12:22:18
My whole point in this is to show that no argument can be made for saying that the Canadiens are the best team (now) by using the Stanley Cup argument. And I guess if you round to the nearest dozen, that would make me twelve so I'll give that one to you if you want :P

But god please stop talking about the Leafs, I honestly dont give a rat's behind about how they've failed too because they have, and badly. I would never defend their "success" because they've had good regular seasons but choked in the playoffs, one of many factors that have driven me away from fanship of this team. I won't deny I used to be an avid fan and I can take the heat, but c'mon it shouldn't be the #1 defense tactic used by Montreal fans under heat.

But hey, I love stirring up debate and it's what I do best so clearly I have done my job!
leigh Posted - 04/25/2006 : 12:00:32
Look when the goal is to WIN THE CUP and you have won more cups than double the closest team that pretty much means you're the cat’s meow.

They have won it a mere 8 times in my lifetime. I was born in 1970 just after the first expansion. Now I realize you're only about 12 so I probably seem ancient to you but don't expect your "recent years" or "in our lifetimes" arguments above to hold much weight. Believe me when I say, 86 and 93 were not that long ago. They are a hell of a lot more recent than 67 (Toronto's last victory - which by the way was the year of the first expansion) Montreal has won it 10 times since the first expansion and twice since the second expansion in 1980 I think.

I’m definitely not a Habs fan but I respect that that club has taught every other club a lesson or two over the years. And they're teaching the #4 team in the league a big one right now!

If winning the Stanley Cup is not the best argument for your club being the best then I don’t know what is. But it’s all irrelevant since the Flames are entering their dynasty years anyway. LOL!!!
Ripley Posted - 04/25/2006 : 11:29:17
The Habs fans are the most annoying???? You're building a good case for leafs fans.
bablaboushka Posted - 04/25/2006 : 10:59:10
Just as I thought, perpetuating the infamous Stanely Cup argument... something for all Canadiens fans to fall back on when times get rough. I don't give a hoot and a half about the Cups they won before any of us were born. They have only won twice in the last 26 years. Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Edmonton and even the Islanders have won either the same or more in that same time frame so that argument, in modern times, is completely inadmissible.

To support my statement (fact) about Montreal's recent playoff woes, let me quote http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com:

97-98: "...Canadiens would show signs of brilliance as they stunned the 2nd seeded Pittsburgh Penguins in 6 games. However, all the energy the Habs had was gone as they were swept by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2nd round."

98-99: "1998/99: The Canadiens finish in last place for the first time in 59 years missing the playoffs with a disappointing 32-39-11 record."

99-00: "Under Therrien the Habs would play much better, but would miss the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row with a 35-38-9-4 record."

00-01: "The Canadiens struggle continues as they miss the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row..."

01-02: "In the playoffs the Habs remained hot as they planted top seeded Boston Bruins in 6 games. In the 2nd round... the Hurricanes would go on to win the series in 6 games."

02-03: "...the Habs would not play any better as they missed the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years with a record of 30-35-8-9."

03-04: "In the playoffs the Habs would get off to a slow start falling behind the Boston Bruins 3 games to 1. However, suddenly the Canadiens would come alive... However, in the second round the Canadiens would run into a buzz saw as they were swept in 4 straight by the... Tampa Bay Lightning."

In fact I could have gone back as far as 1989 where they lost in the Stanley Cup Finals... which is also the last time (other than 93 when they won the Cup) that they made it past the second round.

I'm not saying anything about the Maple Leafs' success, even though they have placed higher and made it further in the playoffs almost every year in this same time frame (minus the Cup win). But if you're nothing but a Cup counter, which is reasonable, then fine you win but I'm not comparing the two teams all I'm just trying to say is that the 26 Stanley Cup argument = null and void (with me and most non-Canadiens fans) and it's a huge cop out when trying to defend the Canadiens' recent failures.
slapshot Posted - 04/25/2006 : 09:11:08
Sounds like a typical Toronto fan to me. Boo Hoo the Leafs suck. Don't take it out on the habs. An embarrassment to playoff hockey? You said it yourself they have won 26 Cups - how is that embarrassing? It is easy to say when your team is an embarrasment to regular season hockey - and are not quite good enough to play playoff hockey.

Someone is bitter.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page