Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Sam Pollock trophy

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/06/2009 : 07:14:43
Why isn't there an award for General Managers in the NHL? Are they not as if not the most, important part of buliding a winning franchise?

If there was to be such and award, the fictitious Sam Pollock Trophy(he was the GM during the Habs last great dynasty in the 70's), and let's for arguements sake, say it is awarded every 3 years, to allow the fruitions of a GM's labors to be taken at an overall glance rather than yearly.
Let's also suppose that it was awarded once already, 3 years ago to Ken Holland, as Detroit was so obviously dominant around that time.

Who would be your choice to get the hardware now? Why?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex Posted - 02/07/2009 : 19:52:38
There are two first overall draft picks (Fleury, Crosby) and two second overall draft picks (Malkin, Staal) in the list you mentioned.

The Penguins passed up on Toews, Backstrom and Kessel to pick up Staal. Sure, Staal might have more defensive upside, but those other three guys have been a lot more productive than he has.

It's easy to pick up great players when you've got great picks. It's another thing to pick them up when you've got low ones. For that reason, I'd say the only good pick on that list is Letang.

''Yes we can!'' -Obama
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/07/2009 : 19:38:57
Something I found interesting as I was surfing. Craig Patrick made Sports Illustrated, notoriously, for his trade of Markus Naslund for Alex Stojanov, He was not resigned in 2006, because it was felt he had made too many bad deals and trades after his early success drafting Jagr and getting Francis.

I then looked at all the young talent that Pittsburgh ices today, Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, Fleury....all Patrick drafts..wish I drafted that poorly.
Beans15 Posted - 02/06/2009 : 14:58:59
The problem with a GM award is that it generally takes a few years at least to see a GM's plan come to fruition. It would be really hard to do a year to year.

However, Wilson in SJ is definately a top contender. Adding Boyle and Blake(who many considered washed up) is solid.

Holland is almost always top choice. Landed Hossa, resigned Zetterberg, brought in a capable back up.

Boston has drafted wicked awesome (pun intented) and picked up guys like Wheeler and Wideman that were really under the radar for a long time.

I can't say if I could choose just one.

However, I can tell you that the worst GM in the league is in Tampa. Wow. He should write a book titled "How to spend a stupid amount of money and not build a good hockey team."

fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/06/2009 : 12:22:25
A team like Detroit would always have to be considered as they always seem to be near the top, but have they done the most every 3 years to improve? or are they just reaping the benefits of cagey GM moves from years before.
That's why I also think that, that would be the challenge of awarding a trophy like this. Awarders would have to think outside the box a bit, and not just look at which team and subsequent GM is tops right now. But at which GM has improved their team the most in each 3 year span.

Gainey would probably have to be considered as well.

Maybe Sather and his Ranger signings.

fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/06/2009 : 12:04:16
Uhhmmm guys?? I suggested what you mentioned in the original post....

quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

Why isn't there an award for General Managers in the NHL? Are they not as if not the most, important part of buliding a winning franchise?

If there was to be such and award, the fictitious Sam Pollock Trophy(he was the GM during the Habs last great dynasty in the 70's), and let's for arguements sake, say it is awarded every 3 years, to allow the fruitions of a GM's labors to be taken at an overall glance rather than yearly. Let's also suppose that it was awarded once already, 3 years ago to Ken Holland, as Detroit was so obviously dominant around that time
Who would be your choice to get the hardware now? Why?

Guest9278 Posted - 02/06/2009 : 10:27:36
what about detriot GM.... the way detriot dafted is insane and unheard of. 6th 7th round pick that turn up to be best players in the league today
Guest6196 Posted - 02/06/2009 : 07:37:06
The Sam Pollock award would be nice to see, but it takes GM's a few years for there overall plan to come together. That being said it would be hard to award this Trophy on a yearly basis.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/06/2009 : 07:16:31
My choice would probably have to be Doug Wilson from SJ. He got Thornton, he got Boyle, He got Blake, he drafted well, and his team is currently reflecting that.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page