Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Great Debate: Round One Debate Two

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Posted - 02/18/2009 : 13:27:52
As per Chriso88's latest reply, I'm happy to announce the beginning of the second debate, between Chriso88 and leafsfan_101 on the topic of:

The 30 Team NHL

EDIT: The first person NOT ALREADY playing in this game who posts a response to Leafsfan_101 gets to join the debate.
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest2918 Posted - 03/02/2009 : 16:37:34
I have post's prior to this as a user id but for this debate I would challenge the topic.

MY response to the status quo leafsfan suggests:

I would retract the league in non profit centers in which the team is losing more than 10% of revenue earned. I also feel the league should retract to 4 divisions a N.W, N.E, S.W and a S.E.

I feel the state of the league and the game would improve with a retraction as player pools would strengthen. AHLer's would play in the AHL and Role players would play when role players were required not because a team needs a butt to fill a seat.

My second point is the travel schedule is tremendous in the West especially, because teams like L.A., Nashville, Pheonix, Columbus are so far away from one another and everyone else. Players are jetlagged between games. The extra games played with these teams could be better used to build a rivalry with closer interdivision teams.

If this means losing a team like Pheonix which is really being proped up by the great one, by name sake alone and retired canadians which would be fans and purchase merchandise regardless of location.

Alex Posted - 03/02/2009 : 15:56:50
Fine. I guess I should heed the calls of reason being thrown my way. Although it's not how I want it to end, looking at the matter once more made me realize that the alternative I was proposing may not have been all that better. So Leafsfan_101 wins and will be playing ThorntonisTHEMAN in the next round.

That means that the next debate is starting. Guest6255, are you still around?

''Yes we can!'' -Obama
leigh Posted - 03/02/2009 : 00:29:56
Hi Alex, I realize that it's not my call here (it's your baby) but I would also say that Leaf's fan won fair and square. I say you should keep the momentum up on the debates so folks don't lose interest by possibly waiting a week for a replacement.

Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.
Beans15 Posted - 03/01/2009 : 21:42:01
I will have more than enough chance to say my piece. Don't worry about me!

And I also think that Leafs Fan shouldn't get a bye. He should get the win he deserve.

Consider this, if you are playing on a team and you are all geared up, ready to go, warming up your goalie and the other team doesn't show up, who gets the win??

The team that was ready to go. That was Leafs Fan. He wins, not a bye. He wins.

Let's move it along.
Alex Posted - 03/01/2009 : 13:16:21
quote:
Originally posted by MrD

Don't worry Alex, I'm still here. I wouldn't pull an "I don't wanna play anymore" like that other guy. I just don't have much to say about what's been going on and didn't vote on the last debate 'cause it was already a lock.

I might be able to help here. I'd be willing to fill in for this debate, even though it isn't the subject I would have wanted, but this way you have more time to find s sub to fill in my slot near the end of round 1, and we can get things moving sooner rather than later. Let me know if this works for ya.

Milbury and McGuire should fight to the death and both lose.

I do appreciate the offer but I think that, in the event we can't replace you, we might end up screwing over Beans (by letting him move on uncontested and not getting to show off his hockey savvy)

So we'll stick with the original plan. If no outside member wants to join by next Sunday, leafsfan gets his bye.

''Yes we can!'' -Obama
Bozonator Posted - 03/01/2009 : 13:08:59
Sorry, that was me.
Guest4735 Posted - 03/01/2009 : 12:54:27
Alex, what I am trying to say is that this debate was already on its way. Leafsfan and Chris had agreed to go at it, had the order and side of topics they wanted picked already. Then Leafsfan posted his first post, Chris saw it and decided not to participate. Chris was active during the debate, he did not disappear. To me it is just like showing up to a hockey game, you step on the ice, score a goal, and the team says "Oh wow, this is dum, I'm out!" and they leave the game.
The others have not been active, then that is when you find new players to replace them because the debate was not even started. Two very different scenarios.
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

My issue is this. If we let leafsfan_101 get a bye, a few things happen:
1) The debate never happens. That's a shame because that's the whole fun of the game.
2) It sets a precedent. I can think of at least three guys in this game (MrD, BigCat, Guest6255) who have not been around since signing up. There are also many others that can not be emailed through this site and reminded when their debate begins. We can't have everyone getting a bye because then the point of the game is lost.

Ideally, we should have a bunch of active members sign up as reserves and get in on the action when something like this happens, which seems to me like it will be more frequent than I would like. Please guys, if you are an active member on this website and want to have a lot of fun and help us out in the process, sign up for the Great Debate and let's get this thing moving along!

''Yes we can!'' -Obama

MrD Posted - 03/01/2009 : 11:27:31
Don't worry Alex, I'm still here. I wouldn't pull an "I don't wanna play anymore" like that other guy. I just don't have much to say about what's been going on and didn't vote on the last debate 'cause it was already a lock.

I might be able to help here. I'd be willing to fill in for this debate, even though it isn't the subject I would have wanted, but this way you have more time to find s sub to fill in my slot near the end of round 1, and we can get things moving sooner rather than later. Let me know if this works for ya.

Milbury and McGuire should fight to the death and both lose.
Alex Posted - 03/01/2009 : 04:45:50
My issue is this. If we let leafsfan_101 get a bye, a few things happen:
1) The debate never happens. That's a shame because that's the whole fun of the game.
2) It sets a precedent. I can think of at least three guys in this game (MrD, BigCat, Guest6255) who have not been around since signing up. There are also many others that can not be emailed through this site and reminded when their debate begins. We can't have everyone getting a bye because then the point of the game is lost.

Ideally, we should have a bunch of active members sign up as reserves and get in on the action when something like this happens, which seems to me like it will be more frequent than I would like. Please guys, if you are an active member on this website and want to have a lot of fun and help us out in the process, sign up for the Great Debate and let's get this thing moving along!

''Yes we can!'' -Obama
Lunchbox Posted - 03/01/2009 : 00:17:47
We could give Leafsfan the bye...or perhaps he should debate himself on the topic. We get to see a good debate, and finally we can gaurantee a leafs fan wins a debate on this site! Let the best fan win! (jk)

But seriously, yeah lets let LF101 through, its just too bad, this is one of the debates i was looking forward to watching...or reading, i guess.
hanley6 Posted - 02/28/2009 : 20:12:16
I agree, give him the bye... It doesn't make sense to add another person.. he made his post... Chris88 accepted and then was scared off because he had nothing.. give leafsfan_101 the bye and get on to the next debate
Bozonator Posted - 02/28/2009 : 20:06:49
Just give him the bye. He played in the game. He posted and his opponent forfeited. He was matched up against someone and when it was game time, the opponent did not show up. In that case you don't find him a new opponent, he gets to move on.
So just give him the bye. He deserves it.
Alex Posted - 02/28/2009 : 18:56:34
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Why don't we just give me a bye to the next round That way we can start the next debate

I don't think that's the fairest way of doing things. So here's what I propose:
If by a week no one signs up to take on leafsfan_101, you get a bye.

''Yes we can!'' -Obama
leafsfan_101 Posted - 02/28/2009 : 06:04:32
Why don't we just give me a bye to the next round That way we can start the next debate
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/27/2009 : 14:51:48
I only have one question.......would 'poopy pants', really have gotten a Moderator's Edit?

Just kidding, trying to keep it light, I would hope all of us are approaching it that way...no hard feelings here...and besides.......

he started it!!!

Okay, okay....I'll got to my room now....
leigh Posted - 02/27/2009 : 13:43:29
Gentleman, under normal circumstances this page would be bleeding with MODERATOR EDIT's starting with the Chriso88's original post, however we will leave it as is for now.

Chriso88's rant was certainly out of line but it only served to make him look bad. There are much better ways of letting people know that you do not agree with the democratic decision; degrading the process and personally attacking members is DEFINITELY not one of them!

But I also want to remind everyone that if we all continue to throw stones, we're no better, so let's drop it now since everyone involved has had a chance to say their bit. Regardless of who starts the fight, personal attacks are not permitted at pickuphockey.com. If it continues we'll delete the offending posts and possibly lock down the thread. Fair warning.

Thanks everyone.
n/a Posted - 02/27/2009 : 05:29:37
Fat_Elvis_rocked: No, in this case, you're allright. But let's keep it at that.

"No respect for the rules" indeed!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/26/2009 : 20:06:24
Oh...and by the way...my vote goes to Leafsfan_101, he took the time and made the effort to compile a well written opening debate......and he's not a whiny soother sucker....

Not to worry though, getting called an idiot by poopy pants, certainly isn't a worry for any of us, pathetic know-nothings..

PS. I'm sure the moderator's would inform me if I was beginning to single out any poster and 'bully' or pick on them rhetorically, but I can't seem to help myself.., an open door is made for walking through after all......
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/26/2009 : 18:54:54
quote:
Originally posted by Chriso88

I regret to inform the debate that I will be pulling out in protest.
After seeing the way you voted last round, this game is pathetic. You vote for a person for the most dumb reasons, and most importantly you guys do not even read either posts.

This game and the people in it have no respect for the rules we agreed upon as well. Right off the bat, we see leafsfan_101 post a novel containing the worst arguement and most stupid reasoning. Why not just write a sentence, it would have the same effect.

In the end, you guys are idiots! Alex, even if you really are not 13 like your profile says you act like it, post like it and most importantly vote like it. You were the worst of them all.

In the playoffs, will beats skill.

Interesting how you wait until the last possible day that you have to post your reply to drop out..... If I actually had any respect for you, I would probably have been extremely hurt by your comments on my inadeptness at debating. However, I have much more respect for pretty much every other member on here so I will choose to ignore your hurtful little comments. As for your comments on Alex? Hmmmm.....tell me, what are you smoking?? And can you please send me some??
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 02/26/2009 : 16:54:42
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

in other words......'I got nothing'......?

LIghten up man....all you had to do was pull the pacifier out of your mouth and say you don't wanna play no more..

Holy tantrum Batman!

Personally I was going to vote for you because of that silly map link, apparently according to that, we Saskatchewanians don't even get hockey...

Ahhh well....try not to let the door hit you on the way out......

Next!!!

HOLY CRAP!!

Couldnt have said it better myself!

Ya buddy its obvious you dont know much about hockey in general and therefore you pulled out. Oh well, the better man won.
hanley6 Posted - 02/26/2009 : 16:37:45
quote:
Originally posted by Chriso88

After seeing the way you voted last round, this game is pathetic. You vote for a person for the most dumb reasons, and most importantly you guys do not even read either posts.

This game and the people in it have no respect for the rules we agreed upon as well. Right off the bat, we see leafsfan_101 post a novel containing the worst arguement and most stupid reasoning. Why not just write a sentence, it would have the same effect.

In the end, you guys are idiots! Alex, even if you really are not 13 like your profile says you act like it, post like it and most importantly vote like it. You were the worst of them all.

what was wrong with the way we voted last round??? explain why and how we voted for the person for the stupidest reasons. what makes you think we don't read any posts? maybe you didn't... everything is stupid and dumb to you. The way I see it you are the idiot because it's obvious you didn't make a vote, and you accepted your debate after the first debate was done and over with.. I think you are pulling out because you have nothing to say or you don't think you can do any better...

get a life man, seriously. YOU are acting like a 13 year old, grow up
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/26/2009 : 15:00:51
in other words......'I got nothing'......?

LIghten up man....all you had to do was pull the pacifier out of your mouth and say you don't wanna play no more..

Holy tantrum Batman!

Personally I was going to vote for you because of that silly map link, apparently according to that, we Saskatchewanians don't even get hockey...

Ahhh well....try not to let the door hit you on the way out......

Next!!!
Chriso88 Posted - 02/26/2009 : 14:42:12

leafsfan_101 Posted - 02/19/2009 : 11:48:38
The NHL as we have come to know and love today is part of one of North America's top five BIG sports (including soccer, football, baseball and basketball). In total, the NHL has 30 teams spanning across the United States and Canada and now, faced with economic turmoil and an uncertain future for most teams, the question is being posed: Should the NHL reduce it's teams from 30 to a lower number. My answer is no.

To understand this we must first realize why the NHL expanded in the first place. NHL expansion, first occurring in 1967, was primarily done for a couple of reasons. The upstart WHL, a promising league with a television contract from major networks(The NHL stopped televising games in 1960 in hopes of deflating NHL superstars from gaining popularity and asking for more money), hoped to overtake the NHL as North America's premier hockey league. And lastly, a reason was to get more financial revenue for the league. Due to these reasons, the NHL introduced new teams in California, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and St. Louis. This, in turn, promoted the game in other US markets and gave the NHL and gave the NHL an significant increase in revenue with the added teams. This revenue would help the league to grow, and growth means prosperity. Decline means recession, or failure. This is where we get he basis for our reasoning of having 30 teams.

In today's new sports managing world money is the name of the business game. Despite the uncertain and stressful economic times during this recession, the league has still maintained strong revenue. So far the NHL has projected to have gained 2% more revenue then the 2007-08 season. With struggling teams, this 2% tells us that the league is not unstable, but is in fact very stable. Losing markets will not help. You will see what I mean.

According to Forbes Magazine's yearly NHL financial assessment, if you take away the 4 NHL markets, lets say St. Louis, Florida, Phoenix and Columbus, the NHL will lose 286 Million dollars from money gained by these franchises. That means that the NHL will lose approx. 10 % of it's yearly income from these 4 so-called struggling teams. The NHL has managed to do well during the recession, but losing an estimated 10% would clearly be the wrong way to go. Losing these teams could cripple the league financially, and make these hard times, for lack of a better word, harder.

The solution is not as black and white as everyone thinks. Losing any type of profit is not good business. I agree, the NHL should not have some franchises in the league. But they should not wiped clean. Relocation, bringing their profits from red to green in a new location is the solution. This is what the NHL needs to do. Keep 30 teams, but move some around.

I will leave you now with a map of the US and Canada. This is a team fan-based map.
quote:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_r8tWGVHrjGI/SE20HQMn7FI/AAAAAAAAEi4/65Rbr_TaZ_Y/s1600-h/fanbasemap.png

Looking at it there are many markets available, and many different places to go. Money can be made here, and the NHL will gain more wealth, as they did in 1967. 30 teams are the number for a prospering league, and the NHL relocation projects will help and move financially weakened markets to new, flourishing ones. Do we need 30 teams in the NHL? Absolutely.
Chriso88 Posted - 02/18/2009 : 15:23:25
well i would like to go second as well lol....and i will go against the 30 team nhl

leafsfan_101 Posted - 02/18/2009 : 13:40:04
I'd like to post 2nd, and debate pro 30 teams. If that's all ok with Chris.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page