Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Dear Admin - Please Remove All Posts Containing...

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest8228 Posted - 02/23/2009 : 05:04:14
....these topics:

Underrated
Overrated
Best __
Worst __
Most __
Least __
__ Ever
__ All Time
<player/team> Sucks

I have a feeling I'm missing a few....rather than hit the back button to browse any of the current headlines to find all of the above however, I figure the point is simply made.

Honestly. Can you imagine a message board that didn't allow any of this nonsense? Maybe we could talk about the game. Maybe someone who notices a truly remarkable play that the average fan wouldn't see would talk about it (i.e. Lemieux letting Pronger's pass go to Kariya). In a nut shell, it would make people put some effort into it.

Instead, it's the same, tired "MY PLAYR RULZ AND UR PLAYR SUKZ" discussions taking the aforementioned form.

You should need approval to start a discussion containing any of these phrases...maybe then some worthwhile discussion would take place here.

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
leigh Posted - 03/11/2009 : 11:06:26
It starts by people reading and understanding the forum guidelines: http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2160. For example you may be interested in the "just let it fade away" section.

There is nothing wrong with "best and worst" topics. People just need to see if they exist first before starting a new one. If you are not interested in that topic then just ignore it. If it is interesting then it will survive, if it is not then it will die. That is the nature of the forums. Survival of the fittest.

Please keep in mind that the list of forum topics on the HOME PAGE is not ALL the topics on the site, it just represents the most recent forums that people have commented in. To see all the forum topics please go to this page: http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/default.asp For those of you who are more avid posters use it as a starting point for discussion rather than the list on the home page.

With posters of all ages and hockey knowledge we are going to get a mix bag of discussion, that's just the way it goes. The way to improve it is to make sure that the quality of your own posts are strong.

We'll keep looking into ways to improve the overall forum experience (for example, you may have noticed a significant drop in the level of spam posts over the last 30 days)
ED11 Posted - 03/11/2009 : 09:59:12
I COMPLETELY agree with that guest is saying. I joined this site because I noticed that there were some informative discussions going on with some very intelligent and informative people. And then I began to really get into the discussions and it all went downhill. I, as a member, would have NO problem with discussions having to be approved. I am just, simply put, turned off this site with the "underrated", "overrated", "best", "worst" nonsense. And I say nonsense because that is exactly what it is. The Crosby/Ovechkin thing is OLD. The Gretzky/Lemiuex/Orr thing will NEVER be agreed upon and is also old.

I will say that I do agree that people should be able to post and say what they want. But people, within limits. Please. If you log on and you see a discussion started that states that Ovechkin is better then Crosby for some ridiculous reson, then don't start another one. Don't add to it!

I would really really love to get back into this site and begin posting interesting and informative topics. And to the people that say, "why don't you lead by example, and start some really deep, meaningful topics with insightful, brainy commentary", I say this. It's difficult to start a meaningful, deep, and interesting topic when the very next post will say something along the lines of..."well that's because he sucks..."

Wow! What insight. But just so that we are clear on what I am saying, I am not in anyway saying that there are no intelligent people on the site. There are. And I thanks those people for some great insights in many cases.

I agree. Something must be done about this.

Some people skate to the puck. I skate to where the puck is going to be.~Wayne Gretzky
Guest4249 Posted - 03/10/2009 : 20:36:52
BUMP.

Seriously - stop it.

Guest4249 Posted - 02/23/2009 : 16:29:45
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Why don't you lead by example, and start some really deep, meaningful topics with insightful, brainy commentary?

I wait with bated breath, Guest 8228!

I know where you're coming from, I do . . . there are a lot of young posters, and meaningless discussions going over topics that have been done to death . . . BUT - all of this is slowly weeded out, as we continue to discuss the things that interest us, and the topics that are repetetive and meaningless tend to get lost with few responses.

It's not a perfect system, but it certainly is fair and democratic in nature, and I think every fair-minded person should appreciate that. If you really want more value - give it (that is, add value yourself by starting interesting topics), or at the very least, comment on the discussions that do, thereby promoting them.

Btw - if you had needed approval for topics, this wouldn't have made the cut for me.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

I suppose that the "Go Green" initiative didn't start because one guy bought a canvas bag and stopped using plastic. Instead, people were made aware and now it's almost an epidemic. Doing is important.....sharing knowledge so others "do" is more important.

So, in this forum, a single great post will be an island. It will be one man using a canvas bag.

If you have a beautiful garden, covered with weeds, you don't see the flowers by adding more of them - you remove the weeds.

There are many good posts on this site. However, there are many more worthless than good.

Of course the admin isn't going to remove these posts. It's a metaphor. How about this:

POSTERS.....STOP THE NONSENSE.

goleafsgosjnb Posted - 02/23/2009 : 08:56:23
get over it.

As mindless as these little debates are, they can be fun. Isn't that the point? We're not talking serious issues here. It's hockey. People have their own stupid opinion and you can't censor that. It's a little annoying to read "i thnk crosby sux cuz he wines and he sux too bobby orr is so much better maple laffs go habs! we win tha cup dis year fer sure toskala toskala toskala....." but hey, if that's what the people want to talk about, it's up to them.
n/a Posted - 02/23/2009 : 08:46:36
Why don't you lead by example, and start some really deep, meaningful topics with insightful, brainy commentary?

I wait with bated breath, Guest 8228!

I know where you're coming from, I do . . . there are a lot of young posters, and meaningless discussions going over topics that have been done to death . . . BUT - all of this is slowly weeded out, as we continue to discuss the things that interest us, and the topics that are repetetive and meaningless tend to get lost with few responses.

It's not a perfect system, but it certainly is fair and democratic in nature, and I think every fair-minded person should appreciate that. If you really want more value - give it (that is, add value yourself by starting interesting topics), or at the very least, comment on the discussions that do, thereby promoting them.

Btw - if you had needed approval for topics, this wouldn't have made the cut for me.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page