Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2009 Trade Deadline

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest9838 Posted - 03/04/2009 : 10:04:37
I'm surprised nobody's talking about this years (so-far) lame trade deadline.

No one's bashing the Leafs for the Gerber and Reitz pickups... just what Toronto need's another backup goalie and another 4th liner. (how much are we paying Burke)

No one's discussing the Jokinen trade... what could be a monster line in Calgary of Cammelleri - Jokinen - Iginla

etc etc
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 03/17/2009 : 16:36:25
Burke is a moron!!! Look at how Bobby Ryan has performed now that Burke has left Anahiem. He picked up no replacment 1st liners in a buyers market offloaded his only draw players for the fans, and picked up prospects to play in a city that has no patience for developing young players. Does this help the last poster.

Pheonix did not get hosed but now they got all these prospects and have to rely on Doan and Brys to steal games. They now have no prospect of a playoff drive. If the cant get to the playoffs and motivate players like Jokinen and Morris how are they gonna improve with underperformers like Lombardi. As of this response they have now lost 5 in a Row.

I also disagree with Ottawa trade from prior post as well. The knock on Ottawa this year is not and never should have been laid at the goaltenders feet. They had strength in net Auld, Gerber and Elliot. Gerber does not make trouble in the locker room and was on the final year of his contract. The market is going to be loaded with veteran goalies in the offseason. Elliot is a great Prospect goalie, just maybe not the best goalie of the future. The knock on ottawa was with the defensive style of Hartsburg and the lack of secondary scoring. Now lost a very fast, skilled forward in Vermette for an injured Goalie with 1 good year on his resume who just lost his starting job to a rookie goalie just like Gerber did when they picked him up.
Guest9838 Posted - 03/05/2009 : 06:46:38
Wow, look at all that general agreement, this must be a first, we need someone to come in and say Phoenix got hosed, or Burke should have got 2 first rounders for Moore and Antropov...
n/a Posted - 03/05/2009 : 05:00:51
I agree with most here - what Burke did was solid, but nothing spectacular.

I agree that it is a crappy way for Kolzig to end his career, though . . . getting passed around like a piece of stale bread that no one wants. He was a very good goalie in his time, and a classy competitor. He deserves better than what I think is in store for him.

Antropov and Moore . . . meh. Too bad Moore asked for too much, but the Leafs could still get him back in the summer when his agent smartens up and realises what the market is. Would have been nicer if these guys could have gone as a package for a first rounder, or some solid young role player (we need a defensive defenceman and a big, gritty 3rd/4th liner, for instance). But, sometimes the deals just aren't out there, so what can you do. Hard to tell with listening in on the phone conversations.

A little disappointed we didn't also get rid of some other crap . . . but then again, who wants it? So, a big sigh from me, as I wait for that 17 million in cap space to be used to sign a big name in summer to build around . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Thrasher Posted - 03/04/2009 : 18:15:38
What Burke did today was nothing specatcular, but like he said himself, no one wants the leafs players. Kaberle is such a special player Burke needed to ask huge assets for him and no team was willing. He gained some picks, just what they needed. Nothing the Leafs have are worth that much, so he did the best with what he could do. Also, excellent speech, i enjoy the fact he doesn't try and hide who he wanted to trade.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 03/04/2009 : 17:44:29
Sorry if i was misunderstood. I never meant to say that the moves Burke did were "genius" moves, I said it showed HIS "genius". Just a way of saying he showed us how smart he is, HIS genius. It's a step towards the future, and it wasn't a bad one.
Bozonator Posted - 03/04/2009 : 17:21:22
I really like Edmonton's pick up. When you look at it, they traded a second round pick for Kotalik, but they received a 2nd rounder from Carolina by trading Cole and at the same time as getting O'Sullivan. So basically they got Kotalik and O'Sullivan for Cole, which in my mind is solid. Cole was not working in Edmonton. So all around I like that deal.

Then Phoenix had picked up some solid players. And Calgary of course was a huge trade and for what they gave up for him, I don't mind that at all. Seems pretty tame.
goleafsgosjnb Posted - 03/04/2009 : 15:48:14
Oh, and Phoenix also did a great job. Always been an Upshall fan, former Team canada world juniors captain will fit in nicely. The Coyotes have enough young assets they could trade for a veteran for next year's playoff push.
goleafsgosjnb Posted - 03/04/2009 : 15:40:42
Yeah, agreed. Solid moves, yes. Genius? Hell no. The only great performance Burke had today was his press conference. Good spokesman for the team, but I will reserve judgement on his management skills untill he actually makes a real move.
Guest0236 Posted - 03/04/2009 : 15:14:52
What Burke did today was not genius, it was mostly expected. 2nd rounders for Antropov and Moore was no big deal. Did we really need another goalie? Could Pogge have played 6 and Joseph 12 maybe, maybe not, so the Gerber pickup made some sense. The Kolzig trade adds up to paying around $600-700K for a 4th round pick, not sure if that price tag was worth it. You probably could've found that 4th round pick somewhere else. It's also a pretty crappy way to treat a stand up guy like Kolzig.

Made some moves that made sense, but there was no genius involved here, let's not kid ourselves.

And I agree, Phoenix was definately the big winner.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 03/04/2009 : 13:33:09
I could talk about every deal that happened today, and in time I may, but for now I will just back the moves Burke made. In my opinion his genious showed today, and his moves were very, very good.

1). Martin Gerber - Very good pickup by Burke and I'll tell you why. With Toskala out for the remainder of the year the Leafs needed a goalie. With Gerber they get a once proven netminder for the rest of the year to help them. They only absorb half of his salary, which is 1.85 Million Dollars. I heard people blasting Burke on not getting Leclaire and you people obviously lack intelligence. What would the Leafs have given Columbus that could have matched Ottawa? Nothing. Gerber was free, cheap and will provide adequate goaltending for the rest of this year, better then what Pogge or Cujo could have done. Also, Gerber is a UFA at the end of the year. I see no reason why he could not come back next year, with a smaller, manageable salary, as Toskala's backup. Very good move by Burke, and I can debate anyone on this.

2). Antropov and Moore don't fit into the Leafs future plans, and I don't know about you but two picks in the top 60 next draft is quite good. Adding depth for the future is never a bad thing.

3). Kolzig deal is no news, please don't make it some. Pretty much Leafs add a 4th for Petiot. Rogers has some upside, but Heward and Kolzing are only there to absorb some salary Tampa doesn't need. Kolzig and Heward will NOT play this year, and will be on their way at the end of the season (They are both UFA's, Rogers is an RFA). Look at it as Petiot for a 4th, its a solid, creative deal.

Burke made solid moves today, nothing earth shattering but definitely moves that are great moving forwards.

BTW, my Winners are without a doubt Pheonix. They add solid picks and players to move into the future, and they won almost every one of the trades they made in my perspective. Boston also made fantastic deals, and Calgary made them one of the top contenders in the West. I also really like New York Rangers' moves. They will help their team.

My losers are Anaheim. I see then lose a good chunk of their defensive forwards, and those guys are extremely underrated and Anaheim will soon feel that loss. Right now I doubt Anaheim will make the playoffs.
Guest9838 Posted - 03/04/2009 : 13:31:18
Ok... what the F@#$ is going on in Burke's head, I just read that not only did he pick up Gerber, but he went out and got Kolzig too... Seriously what the F@#$...

Gerber almost made sense if he didn't want to give the remaining 20 games to Pogge and Joseph, but this.. TSN must be reporting this wrong
Thrasher Posted - 03/04/2009 : 12:44:53
To me, Pheoenix is the winner of this day. Piled on the players while getting rid of Morris, and Jokinen, both were under performing. They got a couple draft picks and some solid players. They could put together a solid team here in a year or two if Gretz can bring up all the young players they have now. The trade with Philly looks absolutly amazing, getting Upshall and second rounder. Trading Morris for Dawes, Prucha, and Kallinin was also impressive. They seem to be the team that gained the most at the deadline. I also like Bostons pick up of Montador. A playoff performer, solid defensemen that can play physical and help to shut down opposing players. While not a blockbuster, a solid pickup there.

The losers? Well, New York didn't impress me at all. Antropov?? Really? Morris?? REALLY? They must see a spot where they can put both of these players that will benifit the team. Neither trade seemed in the favour of New York. Maybe i'm wrong and they will surprise me in the playoffs. And whats with Gerber? Of any team, of course the Leafs pick him. What are they trying to do? I know Toskala is injured but the season is lost already, just play Pogge or Joseph and hopefully drop a couple places. But Burke must know what he is doing. Maybe thats what Gerber will do.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
Guest9838 Posted - 03/04/2009 : 12:42:23
I think Phoenix has actually done great this deadline... loaded up on lots of youth and lost relatively little:

Added: Kalinin, Dawes, Prucha, Lombardi, Prust, Upshall, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, 4th round pick '10

Subtracted: Tellqvist, Jokinen, Carcillo, Morris, 3rd round pick

Jokinen never worked out in the desert, Carcillo is basically being replaced by Prust (and is probably half the trouble), Kalinin has offensive upside and could to some degree make up for an older Morris, he used to be great in Buffalo. And if just one of Prucha, Upshall or Dawes lives up to their potential then that's a score, if 2 of them do then they've made off like bandits this deadline. I like Lombardi too, solid forward. Plus they have a 1st, 2nd and 4th rounder and only gave up a 3rd. Losing Tellqvist does give very little depth in net though.

In general, good work Yotes. If only your team doesn't go insolvent then you have a bright future with all those young guns: Turris, Boedker, Hanzal, Mueller, Lombardi, Prucha, Dawes, Upshall, Lisin, Winnik, Prust, Lindstrom, Tikonov, almost every forward they have is 26 or younger (Lombardi is the Veteran of this group and Doaner at 31 is the old man)

goleafsgosjnb Posted - 03/04/2009 : 12:24:56
I looked it up, you are right! So Gerber goes off the books after this year, scratch the whole "could be an asset" thing, he's just there so they don't need to play Pogge. Guess they still think he's not ready for some reason. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking if he's not ready now, he'll never be the goalie the Leafs were hoping for.

So the Leafs get a few 2nd rounders for Moore and Antropov, I'd say a solid day. Was kind of hoping they would get something for Ponikarovsky too.

Yeah, I've been watching this all day, so much for my homework day lol.
just1n Posted - 03/04/2009 : 12:02:46
Gerber is on the last year of his contract isn't he? Toskala is going to have season ending surgery, so they need someone to put in net. Is Curtis Joseph still there though?

I think the Leclaire going to Ottawa is a great move. Calgary is making some noise for sure getting Jokinen and Leopold, certainly makes the team better on paper. Jokinen is signed through to next season as well.
goleafsgosjnb Posted - 03/04/2009 : 10:53:17
I'd argue he was an asset when he was a Carolina starter and signed that deal with Ottawa. I'm also reminded of that time he backstopped Switzerland to a victory over Brodeur and team Canada at the Olympics. He is capable of being a good goalie in this league. Would I want him as my starter going into the playoffs? Hell no! He ended up winning a cup as a backup for Carolina though, he could end up being an asset in that capacity if he finds his form once again.

Personally, I don't have that much faith in him. I think he will crash and burn and the Leafs will tank.
MSC Posted - 03/04/2009 : 10:33:55
When was Gerber ever an asset?
goleafsgosjnb Posted - 03/04/2009 : 10:25:56
The best deal I have seen so far has been from the Sens. A bit risky because he has had injury problems (he is SO screwing me over in my pool, I'd be #1 if he was healthy), but LeClaire is a legit starter in this league. If the Sens can assemble the kind of team they had in years past around him, I'd put them back in the picture in the East. Still short a piece or two though...

Calgary is making a play, and why not? Detroit has goaltending question marks and San Jose is starting to show holes, the Flames may have a shot. Anything can happen in the playoffs, especially with an all-star goalie.

As for my Leafs, worst case scenerio, they start Gerber and lose every game for the rest of the year and pick up a nice high draft pick. Best case scenerio? He gets some sort of form back and becomes an asset once again. Ottawa is on the hook for much of his contract, so I don't fault the move.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page