Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Sens next year

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest0482 Posted - 03/19/2009 : 11:00:24
The Sens are looking good right now and will likely have a high draft pick. With the new additions of Campoli Comrie and Leclaire and the only likely loss being Neil do you think the sens will make the playoffs next year?
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest9109 Posted - 03/24/2009 : 05:53:37
and the sens are supposed to be a good team this year... the leafs on the other hand are just in the opening phase of rebuilding, so any dumb ass sens fan who brags about beating the leafs in the standings is really just a... well... sens fan. theyd rather see toronto lose than ottawa win, its hilarious.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 03/23/2009 : 12:22:50
Sorry to get all off topic and such. All bias aside, I do think that the sens will have a MUCH better chance at the post season next year. If Leclaire can put in a full season, say 60 games, and Coach Clouston can continue the amazing turnaround that he has started than things will look good for Ottawa. Pretty much, the sens season lives and dies at the feet of the big 3. There is no denying that fact. When they play well, they are right up there with the best lines in hockey but when they dont (which has been about a year) the entire ship sinks.

Long term for this franchise I still think is kind of sketchy. Everyone was calling for Murrays head in Ottawa and now all of a sudden its all ok? Im not sure I buy that. There is no guarantee Comrie will be back, and even if he is, im not sold on him being the secondary scoring they need. If the defence can find some offense (get the puck to the forwards and quarterback the powerplay) and the big line plays well, combined with a solid Leclaire, than yes, this team should make the playoffs.

These are all ifs though.... that Ottawa locker room has been a toxic environment for a while now and unless Clouston has fixed this problem moving forward It's still anyones guess as to how well this club performs next season. Leadership will be a big factor.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Beans15 Posted - 03/23/2009 : 10:22:10
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

right here little buddy http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=OTT&season=0809 it shows you how much the players will be making and contract length and everything you need to know

not looking good for Ottawa fans

Hanley, I think you might be looking at the wrong year. When I click on the link, there is a place near the bottom of the screen that shows total cap hit, total bonus cushion, and total players signed. The numbers for this season are close to what you stated. The numbers for next year(for Ottawa) is around $50 million for total cap, and $55 for bonus cushion.

Also, you can not take a players contract for a single year for the Cap hit. It's the average salary over the length of the contract. For example, Dany Heatley is listed at $10 million for next season, however his cap hit is actually $7.5 as the total contract is $45 million over 6 years.

And although others might have asked you in the past, I will ask you again. I would appreciate it if you didn't call me "little buddy." I find it disrespectful. And although you and I have never agreed on a single thing on this site, I have never disrespected you personally. I have only argued against your opinion.

hanley6 Posted - 03/23/2009 : 10:01:43
right here little buddy http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=OTT&season=0809 it shows you how much the players will be making and contract length and everything you need to know

not looking good for Ottawa fans
Beans15 Posted - 03/23/2009 : 09:58:50
Hanley, I am not sure where you got your numbers from, but they are far different from what I can find.

Ottawa has 20 players signed though the 09-10 season for $50.933 million.

Toronto has 17 players signed through the 09-10 season for $41.943 million.

You are right in the fact that TO has more cap space and more ability to change their team. However, you also have to notice that Ottawa has only 2 real UFA's next year and 1 RFA.

And, above everything else, one has to look at what each team need to make the next step. Ottawa has been playing very well as of late, and has the offensive skill to make things happen. Add in the fact next year that Ottawa will have a true, bonified #1 goalie for the first time in as long as I can remember.

TO, on the other hand (looking objectively) have maybe 3 guys(and that's a stretch to say the least) that are legitimate top 6 forwards. There are a couple of defensemen that are suspect, and (according to you) they have the worst goaltender in the league.

This all means that Ottawa has about $5 million to sign a couple of players to push them over the edge. TO has about $15 million to sign at least 3 top 6 forwards, a couple of d-men, and a bonified #1 goalie just to compete.

I like Ottawa's chances next year over the Leafs.
hanley6 Posted - 03/23/2009 : 09:56:58
yes sir... absolutely none, can't base a team on just 3 players and no cap space for improvement
admin Posted - 03/23/2009 : 09:49:50
Let's keep on topic please. This is not a topic about the Leafs. Let's keep it about the Sens and their possibilities for success in the 09/10 season.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 03/23/2009 : 09:24:44
Face it sens fans, your still bitter because we kick your asses all over ontario. Murray was begging gms to take spezza off his hands, but no one wants him at 8 mil. Not even the sens. Murray has screwed this team for years because of the alfie, heatley, spezza contracts and there is no denying that. Bunch of coach killers they are.

Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 03/23/2009 : 09:19:33
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7141

quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

light years ahead of the leafs? really....? Ottawa was pretty much the worst team in the NHL for an entire calender year.

Yup and somehow they still have a better record than the leafs. The Worst? A little overstating, since the last calendar year they still have a better record than the leafs. Way to stick that foot into your Matt_Roberts. Oh wait, you are used to that by now.

Dude, in the calender year of 2008 the maple leafs have a WAY better record than the ottawa senators. The leafs have been ahead of ottawa all season long, now they are ahead by 1 point wooopeee.

hanley6 Posted - 03/23/2009 : 09:17:06

oh yeah Toronto is so horrible thats why they have been ahead of your Sens all season long, at least the Leafs work as a team you can't say that about Ottawa 1 great line and 3 3rd or 4th lines thats not good at all...

ok they aren't 3/4 of the salary cap but still way overpaid and not alot of room for improvement... take a look at Ottawa's salary for next year with the guys they have

Dany Heatley 8 mill
Jason Spezza 8 mill
Daniel Alfredsson 9.1 mill
Mike Fisher 4 mill
Chris Kelly 2 mill
Jarkko Ruutu 1.3 mill
Christoph Schubert .9 mill
Nick Foligno .785
Shean Donovan .6 mill
Jesse Winchester .575 mill
Cody Bass .5 mill
Ilja Zubov .735 mill
Peter Regin .620 mill
Josh Hennessey .500 mill
Zack Smith .558
Chris Phillips 3.5 mill
Filip Kuba 3.7 mill
Jason Smith 2.6 mill
Anton Volchenkov 3.2 mill
Alexandre Picard .850 mill
Brian Lee .850 mill
Chris Campoli .675 mill
Matt Carkner .5 mill
Alex Auld 1mill
Pascal Leclaire 3.6 mill
thats already 61.648 million dollars. Like I said there is no room unless if they trade off some of there high priced hot shots in the off season the Ottawa Senators from what is listed here is not a very good team and would be introuble for next season unless they make huge changes next year.. not any room to resign guys like Comrie or Neil what will happen to guys like Shannon, Bell and Elliott with no cap space left say goodbye to signing guys unless they get rid of some of their higher paid players. Talk about a sinking ship.

Toronto on the other hand is in very good shape and has lots of salary cap room for picking up key players in the off season.

this is Toronto's salary for next season
Jason Blake 4.5 mill
Niklas Hagman 3 mill
Alexei Ponikarovsky 2.5 mill
Lee Stempniak 3.5 mill
Matt Stajan 1.75 mill
Nikolai Kulemin .850
Jamal Mayors 1.4 mill
John Mitchell .5 mill
Jiri Tlusty .765 mill
Pavol Kubina 5 mill
Tomas Kaberle 4.25 mill
Jeff Finger 3.5 mill
Mike Van Ryn 3.35 mill
Luke Schenn .85 mill
Jonas Frogren .9 mill
Anton Stralman .665 mill
Vesa Toskala 4 mill
total 45.330 million lots of room for improvement. Besides Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson, Toronto's team looks better and young plus lots of improvement room. Toronto's team played better as a team this year all year long and I have a feeling Toronto will next year too.. I actually believe Burke is going to pull through in the off season and bring us LEAFS fans a team good enough to make the playoffs next year... Ottawa will be lucky to even make it.

Guest2702 Posted - 03/23/2009 : 07:23:47
hanley6 (CONTENT REMOVED - PERSONAL ATTACK) .yes spezza,heatly,alfreddson,and leclaire take up alot of salary cap but not 3/4 of it. do some research before you make any stupid statements. and second of all to say the rest of the team sucks. (CONTENT REMOVED - PERSONAL ATTACK) this is why i hate leafs fans they judge other teams but take a look at your own. the sens have fisher, volchenkov, camploi, foligno, kuba and comrie just to name a few. not to mention that they will also have a decent draft pick this year and that their top line are all top tier players in the nhl. and you are talking about players being 3rd or fourth line in toronto hahahahaha. no toronto player would even make it to the 4th line in ottawa. take a look at your team toronto has a horrible roster and the only decent player they have is kabarle and thats not saying much.and to say fisher wouldnt make the 3rd line in toronto haha fisher would be their number one guy if toronto had a player of his caliber. face the facts toronto sucks ass and wont make the playoffs for a long time buddy no matter how much you hope they will. and im not saying that the sens will make it bor they wont but there is a better chance that they will. (CONTENT REMOVED - PERSONAL ATTACK)
hanley6 Posted - 03/23/2009 : 06:17:49
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9235

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Odin

Just like a leafs fan turning a thread about the Sens into something about the leafs.

At this point in time, with the way Clouston has them playing, they are light years ahead of the leafs.

O482, you forgot Kelly who is considered one of the better defensive forwards in the league.

thats only cause the sens are boring and I did mention the sens if you can read I said I hope if the sens make the playoffs I hope the Leafs play better and beat them in the playoffs again

The sens are alot better to watch than the leafs, more entertainment from the sens. The leafs are a boring team to watch. I am a fan of neither btw, and also ottawa is one of the hottest teams out there winning 8 of their last 9, so they are finally piecing things together and have an outside shot at the playoffs next year

that's not going to last
goleafsgosjnb Posted - 03/22/2009 : 12:43:01
Why is everyone arguing about the Leafs and Sens? What a pointless arguement to have. Face it. Both teams suck. A lot. Save for one line, both teams are boring and I would not like to have many current Leafs or Sens on my team. As of now, they all look like losers.

Now the Sens look better for next year, but they better hope that they can get it together because they have a LOT of money tied up in 3 untradable players. Worst case scenerio, LeClaire gets re-injured, secondary scoring still sucks, the D still can't generate offense and Spezza continues to be the prince of turnovers (the king of course, being Alexi Kovalev).
Guest9235 Posted - 03/22/2009 : 10:52:48
quote:

quote:

Just like a leafs fan turning a thread about the Sens into something about the leafs.

At this point in time, with the way Clouston has them playing, they are light years ahead of the leafs.

O482, you forgot Kelly who is considered one of the better defensive forwards in the league.

thats only cause the sens are boring and I did mention the sens if you can read I said I hope if the sens make the playoffs I hope the Leafs play better and beat them in the playoffs again

The sens are alot better to watch than the leafs, more entertainment from the sens. The leafs are a boring team to watch. I am a fan of neither btw, and also ottawa is one of the hottest teams out there winning 8 of their last 9, so they are finally piecing things together and have an outside shot at the playoffs next year
hanley6 Posted - 03/21/2009 : 15:29:38
quote:

quote:

light years ahead of the leafs? really....? Ottawa was pretty much the worst team in the NHL for an entire calender year.

Yup and somehow they still have a better record than the leafs. The Worst? A little overstating, since the last calendar year they still have a better record than the leafs. Way to stick that foot into your Matt_Roberts. Oh wait, you are used to that by now.

ummm how do you figure??????????????
hanley6 Posted - 03/21/2009 : 15:26:59
quote:

hanley6 Posted - 03/21/2009 : 15:25:07
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6018

ummm. Hanley the rest of the team does not suck Fisher Comrie Shannon Foligno that would be Toronto's first line but they're part of Ottawas 2nd and 3rd lines not to mention they have Volchenkov Phillips Campoli Kuba and Smith

they would be the 3rd or 4th line in Toronto, if they dont suck whats wrong with them all season long this year, Every player has there bad games but when it comes to bad back to back seasons maybe its time to call it quits. Nick Foligno he's young he's got time to adjust to the league. Kuba is good, Smith was a great defensive defenseman not so much anymore. I wouldn't want Volchenkov or Campoli and Phillips sucks plain and simple
hanley6 Posted - 03/21/2009 : 15:20:46
quote:

quote:

never know the Leafs might make it next year. Burke said the Leafs are going to be a complete different team next year. I'd like to see them pick up something like Gaborik for semi cheap price in the off season. If he can stay healthy he'd be dominant in Blue and White playing with Blake and whoever haha

Really your dream of the playoffs next year along with Gaborik on the cheap is just that a dream. Gabby rejected a $8M/year offer from the Wild, why would he sign on the cheap for the Leafs? Also, the chances that he will play more than 40 games is really low so he is unlikely going to help the Leafs on ice game since he is always hurt.

Gabby is an awesome player, on the rare occasion that he plays.

Sens should turn it around next season. Clouston will bring up some of the Binghamton players he trusts. There is a chance that Comrie will sign at a lower cap hit than $4M but being the greedy bastard that he is, Ottawa shouldn't hold their breath (see Edmonton and Ottawa as precedence of Comrie's greed). Leclaire and Elliot in nets should be better than Gerber, Auld, Elliot combo. If they make the playoffs, it would be a low seed something like 7 or 8.

Gabby is always hurt eh? yes he does have an groin injury reputation but this is the first season he's played less than 40 games. Last season he played 77 he usually plays atleast 65 games that happened twice, he's played 81 games one year usually plays at least 70 games, this year was just a bad year. I think he'll play about 75 games next year I think the operation will be a total success and the best thing that could ever happen to him for his NHL career
Guest0425 Posted - 03/21/2009 : 09:11:03
quote:

quote:

EPIC PWNZ
Guest7141 Posted - 03/20/2009 : 18:57:30
quote:

Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 03/20/2009 : 13:51:12

Smith is old and slow, shannon is nothing special, fisher is overpaid by about 2 mil, heatley and spezza and whiny bitches, alfie is getting old, elliot really isnt anything special, leclaire cant stay healthy. I mean, come on here. Ottawa is in trouble going forward if you ask me. They have no cap space to work with either.

n/a Posted - 03/20/2009 : 11:45:31
Go Ottawa!
Hopefully they can vault past the Leafs, who I wish weren't playing so well (for them) . . . we could use a great young player to build around.

draft pick, draft pick, draft pick.

DOn't know about Ottawa . . . it's not just the players there, they certainly have a good enough squad to be up there with Montreal and Carolina in the playoff picture . . . not sure if it's chemistry, coaching or management or leadership - but it's one of those, or maybe a combo.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Odin Posted - 03/20/2009 : 09:45:35

Guest6018 Posted - 03/20/2009 : 05:39:02
ummm. Hanley the rest of the team does not suck Fisher Comrie Shannon Foligno that would be Toronto's first line but they're part of Ottawas 2nd and 3rd lines not to mention they have Volchenkov Phillips Campoli Kuba and Smith
Guest7141 Posted - 03/19/2009 : 18:25:43
quote:

never know the Leafs might make it next year. Burke said the Leafs are going to be a complete different team next year. I'd like to see them pick up something like Gaborik for semi cheap price in the off season. If he can stay healthy he'd be dominant in Blue and White playing with Blake and whoever haha

Really your dream of the playoffs next year along with Gaborik on the cheap is just that a dream. Gabby rejected a $8M/year offer from the Wild, why would he sign on the cheap for the Leafs? Also, the chances that he will play more than 40 games is really low so he is unlikely going to help the Leafs on ice game since he is always hurt.

Gabby is an awesome player, on the rare occasion that he plays.

Sens should turn it around next season. Clouston will bring up some of the Binghamton players he trusts. There is a chance that Comrie will sign at a lower cap hit than $4M but being the greedy bastard that he is, Ottawa shouldn't hold their breath (see Edmonton and Ottawa as precedence of Comrie's greed). Leclaire and Elliot in nets should be better than Gerber, Auld, Elliot combo. If they make the playoffs, it would be a low seed something like 7 or 8.
hanley6 Posted - 03/19/2009 : 18:14:12

The Sens I don't know if they will have the ability to make the playoffs with just Heatley, Spezza, Alfredsson and Leclaire i mean those 4 players alone are almost 3/4 of the salary cap, the rest of the team sucks
goleafsgosjnb Posted - 03/19/2009 : 15:47:56
I second that! The most hilarious thing to witness i sports is a good ol' Sens meltdown against the Leafs in the playoffs. Unfortunately, I doubt the Buds will be making it next year.

The Sens on the other hand look a lot better with LeClaire if he can stay healthy. I think they stand a good chance of making it, but I don't think they will ever rise enough to be where they were when they made the finals a couple years ago.
hanley6 Posted - 03/19/2009 : 14:46:23
I am not going to say if the sens make the playoffs next year or not cause they might, but as a Leafs fan i just hope the Leafs end the regular season with more points and if the sens do make the playoffs they play the Leafs in the first round and the Leafs take em out again, like always as far as the playoffs go

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page