Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Where do you want to see Tavares go?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Posted - 04/12/2009 : 10:44:56
With the NHL season all but over, the bottom five teams have been set. Which of them do you want to see Tavares go to?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest9657 Posted - 04/14/2009 : 19:09:54
I say Tampa - strictly greedy on my part as a Habs fan. This would free up Lecavalier to go where he wants to be - in Montreal
goleafsgosjnb Posted - 04/14/2009 : 16:15:47
Oh, and Toronto, but Burke will have to sell his soul for that one to happen, so I'll say anywhere but Tampa. I actually really like the Kings, so it would be cool if he went there though. They would be the undisputed most talented young team in the league if that were to happen.
goleafsgosjnb Posted - 04/14/2009 : 16:13:37
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

It's a hard choice because I'm not in love with any of those teams, but I voted Thrashers for a number of reasons.

1. He'll be in the eastern conference. For one thing, that means I get to see more of him. For another, it seems to be that the east is more inclined towards offensively talented players. Tavares would be a great player in either conference and on any team, but I think the defense would do a better job of shutting him down in the west. Just my take. Not to mention, he'll be playing against Ovechkin six times a year.

2. I don't want him to lose relevance or become a bust. Steve Stamkos was for all practical purposes a bust in Tampa, because that organization is headed in ten directions. Don't think I want Tavares there. And I also want to see JT making the post season some time soon. Rick Nash was a star that came into the league and only this year, seven seasons later, is making the post-season. Although Atlanta is far from being a contender, I think Don Wadell (sp?) is a smart GM that could build a contender faster than anyone save maybe the Kings.

3. The franchise really needs to be revitalized. Colorado won a cup, Los Angeles has a good farm team anyways and back in the hay day had Gretzky, Tampa won the cup in 2004 and has Vinny, St. Louis and Stamkos, and the Islanders also had their own dynasty a while back. The Thrashers have played all of four playoff games ever. Time for them to get some attention.

4. I also think that, if all else fails and the team doesn't win, Atlanta would have a rough time holding onto him (remember Hossa?). That means he could end up signing with a team like Toronto or Montreal as a free agent, or getting traded to a contender, which is where he really belongs.

Didn't Stamkos end up scoring like 20 goals?? Pretty damn good for an 18 year old rookie! I think Crosby and Ovechkin have blinded everyone to how prepared young players are when they come into the league. I think he had a great year and will continue to develop into a star, or at least a very effective top-line forward.
Guest6362 Posted - 04/14/2009 : 15:01:14
Toronto....enough said
Alex Posted - 04/14/2009 : 05:58:57
The other issue to look at is, is Tavares getting drafted first? Everyone's pinning him as the best guy in the draft and I think if you get this type of opportunity as a GM you owe it to your fans to pick a guy with this much buzz regardless of your needs. If he's a bust you don't look like an idiot because that would make the entire hockey world idiots, whereas if you pick anyone else other than him you need to hope to hell they outproduce him every single night.

BUT, nonetheless, I think with one team an interesting situation arises and that is Tampa. This is a team that is so desperate for defense, I mean their top guy is Paul Ranger followed by Meszaros. On forward meanwhile they've got Lecavalier, Stamkos, Prospal... It goes back to the theory of drafting for your needs vs. picking up the best available guy. Many would say take Tavares and then ship St. Louis or another expendable guy to pick up a defenseman. That way they've got two of the best forwards in the game between Lecavalier and Stamkos, and a top calibre defenseman to anchor the blue line. The question then becomes, will they be able to get a Hedman quality player through trade without giving up an asset or combined assets worth more than Tavares?

The owners in Tampa do have a history of pulling off wacky stuff if last summer is to be any indication so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if they get the first pick, it may be a considerable option to take Hedman.
Friend5545 Posted - 04/13/2009 : 18:23:30
TORONTO NEEDS HIM!!! SO ISLES GET HIM THEN THE LEAFS WILL TRADE BELL FOR HIM.
Guest7862 Posted - 04/13/2009 : 13:40:31
Anyone but COL they had a bad year with injuries with Stastny and Sakic out alot and if they got a goalie as well they'd be sweet

Kings would be cool
Thrasher17 Posted - 04/13/2009 : 11:12:01
Obviously I would love to see him in Atlanta. But as long as he doesnt go to the islanders I'm happy.

A little off topic, but Alex you like Don Wadell as a GM??? This guy is horrible. He traded away so much that one year the Thrashers made playoffs that they've been pretty much crippled ever since. Just imagine if they still had Braydon Cobourn. Instead they traded him for Alexei Zhitnik, who was completely worthless. And i dont remember what they traded for Tkachuk but i know it involved a lot of draft picks. And they lost him after the season, which was expected. The only move hes made that looked good at the time was the Hossa trade.
Guest6753 Posted - 04/13/2009 : 09:58:36
Stamkos a bust? Whoa...slkow down there. Alexander Daigle was a bust. Stamkos is a kid with one season under his belt who took 40 games to learn the pro game. He could still end up being a 50 goal scorer in the NHL. You are premature prognosticator.

I voted Colorado. That organization deserved a player like Tavares. The Islanders, on the other hand, deserve a real bust. They are in last due to mismanagement and stupid contracts like the one to Yashin.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 04/13/2009 : 05:56:11
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

2. I don't want him to lose relevance or become a bust. Steve Stamkos was for all practical purposes a bust in Tampa, because that organization is headed in ten directions.

You are calling Stamkos a bust? I will have to respectfully disagree. He struggled through the first half of the year, I believe partially because of an unrealistic buildup and partially because the coach was giving him only 8 minutes a game. But since February, Stamkos has been HOT HOT HOT. He has really cranked up his game and I really don't think it's fair to give him the "bust" label!

Personally, I would love to see Tavaras go to the Avs...It is really sad to see that great organization playing so terribly this year and they could use a guy to begin to fill Joe Sakic's shoes.
n/a Posted - 04/13/2009 : 05:38:34
I'd love to see Tavares go to the Isles, actually.

Of all those bottom five, the Islanders have the greatest history (although not very recent), and it is really sad to see them languish in the cellar, year after year. Atlanta already has Kovalchuk; TB has Lecavalier and St Louis; and Colorado already has loads of young talent, as does LA. The Islanders have . . . well, they have Dipietro, the guy with the 100 year long contract and the injuries.

That's a market in desperate need of a young superstar to build around, and I'd like to see them competetive again. It must be so painful for guys like Bossy and Trottier to watch what they have become . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Lunchbox Posted - 04/12/2009 : 21:07:16
I wouldnt mind seeing tavares on the Kings (partly for one of the same reasons as Alex, I live in the west and I'd see him play more) but LA is a young fast entertaining team, and with a couple more years under the collective belt, and Tavares to boot, I think the Kings could become a dangerous team.
Thrasher Posted - 04/12/2009 : 11:17:07
How about the fact that Tavares and Espisito good be reunited, just like in the world juniors? They were lights out against the best juniors in the world, perhaps could bring some of that magic to the NHL stage.

And i think it would take some heat off Kovalchuk. Hes been with this team for so long now, and they have had one or two winning seasons, one playoff series, if you could call it that. I believe Kovalchuk is one of the top 5 players in the NHL (completely bias), and if he had another superstar like Tavares (if he pans out), i think his play would be elevated another level.

Guest 5867, if they get another superstar, why would they want to get rid of the other one? Wouldn't they want them together, much like Malkin and Crosby, Zetterberg and Datsyuk, Heatley and Spezza? (and Alfy) Two scoring threats are much greater than one, and even if its just until his rookie contract expires, they could do some serious damage.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
Guest5867 Posted - 04/12/2009 : 11:04:31
thrashers, it would let kovalchuk be more expendable,
tavares would be better in the east so no la or colorado he would be wasted on the islanders and tampa would get exremely pro with stamkos lecaviler and tavares
Alex Posted - 04/12/2009 : 10:52:02
It's a hard choice because I'm not in love with any of those teams, but I voted Thrashers for a number of reasons.

1. He'll be in the eastern conference. For one thing, that means I get to see more of him. For another, it seems to be that the east is more inclined towards offensively talented players. Tavares would be a great player in either conference and on any team, but I think the defense would do a better job of shutting him down in the west. Just my take. Not to mention, he'll be playing against Ovechkin six times a year.

2. I don't want him to lose relevance or become a bust. Steve Stamkos was for all practical purposes a bust in Tampa, because that organization is headed in ten directions. Don't think I want Tavares there. And I also want to see JT making the post season some time soon. Rick Nash was a star that came into the league and only this year, seven seasons later, is making the post-season. Although Atlanta is far from being a contender, I think Don Wadell (sp?) is a smart GM that could build a contender faster than anyone save maybe the Kings.

3. The franchise really needs to be revitalized. Colorado won a cup, Los Angeles has a good farm team anyways and back in the hay day had Gretzky, Tampa won the cup in 2004 and has Vinny, St. Louis and Stamkos, and the Islanders also had their own dynasty a while back. The Thrashers have played all of four playoff games ever. Time for them to get some attention.

4. I also think that, if all else fails and the team doesn't win, Atlanta would have a rough time holding onto him (remember Hossa?). That means he could end up signing with a team like Toronto or Montreal as a free agent, or getting traded to a contender, which is where he really belongs.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page