Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Quick Whistles

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest8228 Posted - 05/01/2009 : 10:52:30
How can any player, coach, team, GM, owner, etc. complain about quick whistles in the NHL (or any current league for that matter)?

Per game period, I don't have enough fingers to count how many needless scrums are started in front of the net. Colie Campbell - if you want to actually do some good - get involved in this area.

There's a match penalty for "intent to injure".

How about a minor penalty for "intent to scrum"? Get rid of the instigator, or enforce it this way. By definition of the word, that's exactly what this is.

It happens constantly. There's a 2 on 1, with a trailer (call it a 3 on 1 I guess). The 2 on 1 results in a shot and a whistle. At the top of the circle, when the whistle is blown, the trailer comes coasting into the crease. The defence "takes exception".

Scrum ensues.

Please do not mistake this for "the intensity of playoff hockey". It's an eyesore and, frankly, it's tired and old.

I don't blame the referees ONE BIT for quick whistles. They HAVE TO blow the whistle as soon as the puck is frozen. They miss a few calls, but the root of the problem is much deeper than the refs.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest8228 Posted - 05/06/2009 : 09:39:30
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6196

I don't blame the referees ONE BIT for quick whistles. They HAVE TO blow the whistle as soon as the puck is frozen. They miss a few calls, but the root of the problem is much deeper than the refs.

I agree, but the referees blow the whistle when they lose sight of the puck.

Awesome that this was written before the Wings got jobbed....but, it stands true.

If the refs wait until they are SURE the puck is covered, with the way scrums occur, someone is going to get killed.

You'd think I'm a ref - I'm not. Aside from knowing they have a tough job, I can't stand them.....but you CAN NOT BLAME THEM.
Gusteroni Posted - 05/01/2009 : 12:31:32
Yeah and what has happened to the ref giving one guy from one of the teams a penalty for roughing to discourage any more scrums from happening. I have yet to see that happen in these playoffs in any series. There seems to be a double standard when it comes to regular season calls and playoff calls. I'm getting a bit tired of the scrums after almost every whistle, if they want to fight then fight at least it would be more exciting. They do need to find a way to put a stop to this and taking just one guy used to work, why not now?

"There are only two seasons. Hockey season and not hockey season."
Guest6196 Posted - 05/01/2009 : 12:07:27
[/quote]

I agree, but the referees blow the whistle when they lose sight of the puck.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page