Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Point Paces

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bablaboushka Posted - 11/20/2006 : 16:39:33
I thought this would be interesting after I brought up point paces in the Jagr poll:

Even though Sidney Crosby's point pace will likely get higher as he gets older, it would take him 26.5 seasons to reach Gretzky's 2,857. That is at his current pace.

But something even MORE interesting:
At his current pace, Alexander Ovechkin could match Wayne Gretzky's 894 goals...in LESS than the latter's 1,487 games! In fact, it would only take him approx. 1,390 to do it. It might seem unlikely that Ovechkin will score 50+ goals for almost 20 seasons, considering the Great One only has 9 himself, but it makes one wonder...Is it possible?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Saku Steen Posted - 04/24/2007 : 03:32:36
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

Well don't forget I posted this over 5 months ago, so the paces aren't as accurate anymore.

I still think its pretty cool. I usually go to active fourms and this was one so I dont know why it was.

I've figured it out, the guys gotta play like girls!
bablaboushka Posted - 04/23/2007 : 17:44:47
Well don't forget I posted this over 5 months ago, so the paces aren't as accurate anymore.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 04/23/2007 : 16:17:31
First, great topic - I think the idea is terrific.

Let me start by saying I love the way Ovechkin plays. I think he's the single most dynamic player to come along in a long time. With that said, he does not have a snowball's chance in you-know-where to pass Gretzky's goal record.

For a couple reasons:

One, he's Russian, and although that sounds bad, no Russian has ever played the game long enough with the kind of dedication it takes to challenge for any long-term records (Federov, Bure, Mogilny, Zhamnov - all these guys were near the top of the league at various times, only to drop off quickly for various reasons - injury, lack of desire, etc.). I hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt it.

Second - to get to 900 goals, he'd have to never get injured, and score at his current pace for nearly two decades. OR...have huge years like 99 did.

The years Gretzky was getting 92 and 85 goals will not soon be duplicated, due to the way the game is currently played. Goalies are better, and so are systems. Defencemen are more mobile, too.

As for Sid - I think he's the Next One, but again, the game is different. I'd argue that he's a better player now than Gretz was at 19 (watched them both a lot), but there is no way he's going to get 215 points in a year or two from now, unless they make the nets vastly bigger or something, because the rest of the players are just too good.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
PainTrain Posted - 04/23/2007 : 15:26:56
If you're a concistent 100 point getter every season for lets say 26 season you have a good change of beating Wayne Gretzkys records. And how Ovechkin can match the amount of goals Gretzky has is really amazing but he has got to start getting those 50 goals seasons to do that.
Beans15 Posted - 04/23/2007 : 13:23:01
I think that if Ovechkin and Crosby can stay health, motivated, and consistant for the next 15-20 years, they will both be in the top 10 all time. I think Ovechkin could reasonably crack the 700 goal mark. That would mean he would have to average 43 goals/season for 14 seasons. Throw in a couple of 60+ and a couple less than 40 and that is not unreasonable. To crack Howe or Gretzky is a stretch to me.

But for Crosby to come close to Gretzky in assists or points is not going to happen. He is over 1800 assists away today. That would mean he would have to get 100 assists or more each year for the next 18 seasons. Not likely at all. He could reach Francis or Messier for #2 or #3 all time. That would be 70 a season average for 18 seasons. That is still a bit of a stretch, but could be reached.

I think Crosby could finish his career with about 1500 points(400-500 goals and 1000-1100 assists) and Ovechkin around 1300 (550-650 Goals and 750-850 assists).
manninm Posted - 04/23/2007 : 12:19:45
He has an uphill climb, but with the NHL continuing to find ways to increase scoring, who knows! I'm rooting for him, even though I'm rooting for Crosby harder.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Saku Steen Posted - 04/23/2007 : 11:43:17
Man, that is pretty cool. I think Ovechkin has fallen under the radar but this makes your eyes pop out. Ovechkin taking over Gretzkys scoreing record? Wow.

I've figured it out, the guys gotta play like girls!
leigh Posted - 11/20/2006 : 16:49:59
very interesting...It's staggering to think just how far beyond everyone Gretzky was. What's weird too is that by his own standards he was a playmaker and not a goal scorer. He was just on another level.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page