Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Aging Veteran SuperStars

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leumas Posted - 11/21/2006 : 18:46:49
This is something that has always struck me as a little weird.

I find it very odd that as some hockey players age their point production drops while others seem to stay consistent? Meanwhile there is the occasional super star who drops off the map only to return stronger than ever???

Now I know age, injuries, trades, teamates, linemates are all factors in this debate but sometimes I wonder if these so called "super stars" were ever really "super" to begin with?

I can see the fact that as a player ages he slows down. Fair enough. But why should his shooting, passing, and offensive awareness suffer? To me these things should improve over time.

We see players like Sakic, Sundin, Modano, and Tkachuk put up solid numbers throughout their long careers.

Yet, 2 or 3 seasons ago no one would've predicted that players like Selanne and Brind Amour would be back producing the way they are now.

And then there are the guys like Roenick, Amonte, Federov, Zhamnov, and Rob Blake who seem to have lost all their passion, drive and skill.

It cracks me up to think that guys like Roenick, Amonte, and Federov will most likely be outscored this season by fellow veterans like Kris Draper, and Mike Sillinger.

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
leumas Posted - 11/22/2006 : 16:27:10
Hey all! Glad you enjoyed the post.

I think there have been some valid points brought up.

Taking care of your body is definitely a huge factor. I hear that Rob Brind Amour is a complete fitness freak. That might account for his continued success. I too thought he was a bit of a risky pick this year. It just seemed like how much better could he get at his age? Especially after a physical and emotionally draining Cup run.

However Jeremy Roenick supposedly spent the offseason getting himself in top physical condition yet he is really struggling. He doesn't have the same calibre of linemates as Brind Amour mind you. But Roenick gets plenty of icetime. He has 4 points in 20 games and a measly 26 shots. About one shot per game! Pitiful! You'd think as a struggling professional hockey player he would be aware of this problem. Like how hard would it be to look at his own stats? Or what about his coaches? Just start throwing the puck at the net every chance you get man! I like comparing JR to Keith Tkachuk. Both guys have had very similar careers up until now. Anyway its pure irony for a mouthy guy like JR.

Nolan's been off the scene for awhile so I can kind of cut him a bit of slack.

Tony Amonte I guess has the excuse that the Flames aren't a real offensive minded team. Still he has only 27 shots in 19 games. Brutal!!

Federov seems to have lost his passion for the game. I can think of a few more super-skilled Russians who lack consistency when it comes to passion and drive. Maybe not as old, but Kovalev and Samsonov are two guys who have been around for awhile. Both seem to have a ton of skill, yet we only see flashes of it from time to time.

The more I think about it the more it seems like a passion thing to me. When you look at guys like Sakic and Sundin, and Brind Amour it just seems obvious. Those guys are heart and soul kind of players. Sure they're older, a bit slower, but they adapt to their own abilities. Adapt to the changes in the game. True super stars.

Which is why those guys are heroes and guys like Roenick are chumps.

Nothing worse than wasted talent.

goon Posted - 11/22/2006 : 14:57:47
What about Brendan Shanahan? He will be 38 in January and is on pace for 60 goals. Not to take anything away from him but he does get alot of room with the opposition focusing much of their attention on Jagr.
bablaboushka Posted - 11/22/2006 : 11:53:20
Pucker I agree with you on Brind'Amour, I still don't believe how well he's doing. When one of the guys took him in our pool we all laughed at him... Guess who's laughing now.
luckyluc Posted - 11/22/2006 : 11:15:34
Great post. Nice to see some good hockey analysis other than the Flames suck, Oilers suck, sharks suck crap.

Tony Amonte sure has underperformed in Calgary and his days are just about numbered. As for Fedorov, I think he just doesn't really care anymore.
slapshot Posted - 11/22/2006 : 09:56:57
Remember in the summer when Roenick declared he was a changed man and was ready to turn his career around? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

pucker Posted - 11/22/2006 : 09:28:04
Welcome to the forums leumas - great first post!

I think it has everything to do with how they look after their bodies. As we all know, the older we get, the tougher it is to do those things that seemed so easy when we were young. I also agree that the passion may be gone for a lot of these guys as well.

Of all the players you mentioned, I find Rod Brind'amour the most impressive, and Jeremy Roenick the least. Both are 36 years old. This is Brind'amours 17th season, Roenicks 18th. If you look at their stats from last season and 20 or so games in to this season, Brindamour has scored exactly one point per game while Roenick has scored 0.33 per game.

Brind'amour is on pace for a career year! If he keeps up the pace he could score 110 points. His career high is 97 - 12 years ago. Roenick, well he is on pace for 16.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page