Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Most overrated player in hockey right now?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Reiko24 Posted - 11/29/2006 : 23:14:11
Overrated means having a huge salary, people having high expectations for you but you don't deliver...

I think that Jose Thedore is the most overrated player right now... Datsyuk is also pretty close
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dummy101 Posted - 01/03/2007 : 15:34:14
I think Wade Redden would get my vote as most overrated.I realize he was a top +- guy last year but that was when"Z" had all the tough D assignments and he was cherry picking against 2 and 3 liners and racking up bonus points on the pp.I know he's been hurt but man their missin' Chara.Just think for the price of Gerber and Corvo+a few hundred thousand they could still have him.On 2nd thought Muckler is most overrated,hehe!
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 01/02/2007 : 15:40:27
hahahahahhahah...even I would take a bullet for crosby over daigle (as a hockey player)......isn't daigle trying to be a movie star now?....he probably is a better actor than sid though...those crosby commercials are so lame.....like the gatorade commercial where he looks up with his two-year-old face with the gatorade sweat all over it....WHAT A TOOL...

But the point is: Daigle was very overrated

I HATE CROSBY
Guest4801 Posted - 01/02/2007 : 05:11:15
Crosby would be considered overrated if he had
20G 31A and -45 in 84GP of his first season
and 16G 21A and -22 in 47GP in his second...

not

39G 63A and -1 in 81GP in first season
and 17G 41A and +15 in 34g in this season

If anyone is a true stats guy, you'll probably recognize them as Alexandre Daigle's back in his rookie season. Remember that guy? Now that guy was overrated
leigh Posted - 01/01/2007 : 22:33:02
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

Sorry.....I guess I forgot such a trivial record...what was he like 4 weeks younger then someone who probably had more points then him, but b/c his parents concieved sidney a little later in the year, crosby gets a record.......ya sorry I missed that one! I HATE CROSBY

it's not trivial at all. Most players will never do it in a single season and he did it at 18 years of age, in his rookie year. And can you imagine that some players NEVER reach 100 pts in their careers let alone in a single season. And for the record, he was 100 days younger than Dale Hawerchuck who held the record before him with 103 points (only 1 point more than Crosby). Even if you hate the guy you have to respect that.

I think we've gotten this thread way off track following your lead with Crosby. He's obviously not overrated if you look at his numbers in the last 2 years. Right now he's leading the league by 4 points (ahead of Jagr, Iginla, Kovalchuck, Hossa, Ovechkin yadda yadda yadda) He's only making $850,000 and he's worth every penny. I can think of a few other guys getting paid millions that are stinking up the league and deserve this dubious title more than Crosby (Morisson, Naslund, Rob Blake, Cheechoo, Redden to name a few)
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 01/01/2007 : 20:00:02
[quote]Originally posted by Novie

"Sid the Whiner"'s coach has said publicly that he is the hardest worker on the ice, and is a great practice player. Same things were said about Gretzky all through his career
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmmmmmmm.....I must have missed the part where I said sid shouldn't go...or where I said sid doesn't work hard...I was simply saying that everyone in the nhl worked hard to get there..I am just saying I like credit being given to this guy.....there are a lot more rory fitzpatrics in the show then sidney crosby's...these guys deserve some recognition too! so what's wrong with that?

I HATE CROSBY
Novie Posted - 12/31/2006 : 08:51:26
"Sid the Whiner"'s coach has said publicly that he is the hardest worker on the ice, and is a great practice player. Same things were said about Gretzky all through his career

Go Sens
Beans15 Posted - 12/31/2006 : 08:35:03
The All Star game is designed to have the league most highly skilled players in a showcase. Not the "Meat and Potatoes" players you speak of. Always has been, always should be. This Vote For Rory thing is pathetic. The guy has 1 point and is +2 in 24 games. If he was near the top in any facit of the game I would understand. There are literally 200 defencemen in the league that are statistically better than this guy. He's a career -46 with 28 points in 234 games. This is the kind of thing that will make the all star game into the same crap the NBA has. It is not a popularity contest, it's a showcase for the best players. This ruins that! Vancouver could send this guy to the farm tomorrow and not miss him at all. There is no way he deserves to be an all-star. Not even close.
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 12/30/2006 : 23:34:12
Don't burn rory.....if you heard my tyrades about crosby, you'd understand that these are the meat and potato players you need........I love the vote-for-rory thing...if you went to the webpage you'd see they're trying to support the fourth line character players you never hear of.....I mean, those guys go to the same amount of practices (well, actually more ) as, say, "sid the whiner"...they do the road trips...they work out in the off season, they've been chasing a dream since they were 3...just because a player like crosby has more talent doesn't mean rory is any less of a hockey player....I think everyone on this forum should switch webpages for 5 minutes and VOTE FOR RORY

I HATE CROSBY
Beans15 Posted - 12/30/2006 : 20:26:57
Rory Fitzpatrick.

What a Joke.
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 12/30/2006 : 16:34:05
Sorry.....I guess I forgot such a trivial record...what was he like 4 weeks younger then someone who probably had more points then him, but b/c his parents concieved sidney a little later in the year, crosby gets a record.......ya sorry I missed that one!

I HATE CROSBY
Ripley Posted - 12/29/2006 : 22:41:23
Hey, he's also on a cup contender right now.

leigh Posted - 12/29/2006 : 22:34:57
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

I think it's pretty obvious sidney crosby is the most overrrated....
Ppl make it out like he's had a great career...he's a great prospect, but he is not one of the all time greats yet...it's not like he's even come close to breaking any records .......mark my words, sid is the next eric lindros...big E won a hart trophy, yes, but he never one a cup and was a huge bitch.....seems to me sid is destined for that future (even if he doesn't get brutally injured like the big E)
uI HATE CROSBY

Actually, you're wrong, Crosby has already broke a long standing record of 25 years. He is the youngest person ever to break 100pts.

As for Lindros, unfortunately injury has left him without realizing his true potential, but his career is still pretty decent (and yes, not without controversy). Over his career he is averaging 1.15 pts per game and I can guarantee you that 90% of the players throughout history would love to have a PPG average over 1. I'll bet he finishes his career in a few years with over 400 goals. Not bad for a 'huge bitch' as you put it.
bablaboushka Posted - 12/29/2006 : 20:46:16
Yup Kiprusoff is real good:

Last 3 games he's allowed 13 goals. Two of the games were against the 29th ranked offense and one against the 20th ranked offense. Man he sure got bailed out by his team tonight, winning 6-4 against LA.
I HATE CROSBY Posted - 12/27/2006 : 20:28:14
I think it's pretty obvious sidney crosby is the most overrrated....
Ppl make it out like he's had a great career...he's a great prospect, but he is not one of the all time greats yet...it's not like he's even come close to breaking any records .......mark my words, sid is the next eric lindros...big E won a hart trophy, yes, but he never one a cup and was a huge bitch.....seems to me sid is destined for that future (even if he doesn't get brutally injured like the big E)

I HATE CROSBY
Beans15 Posted - 12/27/2006 : 20:26:30
Calgary skates on thin ice (pun intended). They are in mostly low scoring, close games. Last year they were winning the majority of those one goal games. This year, they are not. It's hard to argue that Kipper is giving the Flames a chance each night, they just aren't winning. He is a top 5 statistical goalie. But you are right Babs, that doesn't win games. So, I guess my point is that he is no better or worse than last year. Calgary was winning more games last year. It made him look better. Still a pretty decent goalie. A lot of teams out there would like to have him, and how bad would Calgary be without him??
leigh Posted - 12/27/2006 : 18:02:53
I think what babs is saying is that Kipprusoff may have done great things in the past, but presently he is not performing to his ability. (I'm really trying to be diplomatic here)

In all seriousness, I agree with babs when he says that Kipper has NOT stolen any games for the Calgary Flames this year. Great goalies steal games. Period!
Ripley Posted - 12/27/2006 : 16:52:07
Luongo is widely regarded as one of the best goalies in the game and represents Canada on a regular basis. Yet, except for last year, he has never had a winning season. Babs, do you think he is garbage too?

Of course in the overall scheme of the game the goal is to win, but the reason we collect other goalie stats is because wins and losses don't begin to tell the true story of a goaltender's career.

My point. In the last 4 seasons Kipprusoff has been elite. No question.

bablaboushka Posted - 12/27/2006 : 16:45:51
4101 talked about GAA, SV% and trophies. He didn't say how Kiprusoff is not winning games. He isn't, it's simple. He's not stealing games like he was last season. The fact that he went to game 7 two seasons ago means nothing, he got eliminated first round last year.

In the West he is praised more than in the East... In the East he's everyone's enemy but in the West he has half the fans. Do the math.
Guest4044 Posted - 12/27/2006 : 16:41:17
Well you are relentless, I'll give you that. 4101 explained it pretty clearly but yet you persist to flog the dead horse. oh well.

As for your 'west based' argument I think if that were the case more people on this site would slag him because he is an opponent to their teams. I don't think it holds water. nice try though.
bablaboushka Posted - 12/27/2006 : 16:29:02
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4044

quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

That's great, now if he truly is an elite goalie as his accolades might suggest, he will keep up the pace all throughout the season, not just when he wants to.

give up babalabuska. you're hanging on to an agument you are losing badly. it's kind of embarrasing for a moderator.

Man, is it so hard to copy and paste my name into a text box? Who is babalabuska? Assuming it's me...

Listen, I have my opinions and just because I'm a moderator doesn't mean you have to agree with me, or vice-versa. It also doesn't mean that I have to adopt the general concensus as my opinion either and there is no better proof than Mr. Kiprusoff. He is 16-13-2, that's mediocre at best; why does everyone STILL classify him as the god of all goalies? First of all, it's because the majority of members on this forum are from the West, so I can't really blame you for thinking that. It's the same reason why 90% of kids these days cheer for Toronto, it's the only team they see. If all they got to watch was Sharks games, all of a sudden everyone loves the Sharks and Vesa Toskala becomes the most popular goalie in the league.

He did have one elite season, last year, where he led the league in pretty much every goalie stats category = last year, he was the god of goalies. This year, he's 16-13-2. That speaks for itself. I don't care what his GAA is or what his SV% is, he doesn't win games. Whether Calgary scores or not, I don't care, he doesn't win games.

I have my opinions and so do you. Please do not insult mine like that, as I have never put anyone down, including you, for what you think.
leigh Posted - 12/26/2006 : 20:44:06
quote:
Originally posted by ultimatetitman

bablaboushka, I rarely disagree with you, but I have to here. Kipper is a great goalie, and has been for the better part of three seasons. When he is on his game, he's amongst the best in league. Granted, he hasn't been on his game all season, but there aren't many goalie's I'd take ahead of him.
Now, don't get me wrong, like many here, I am not a fan. Heck, as a sad sack Canucks fan, I detest all things Calgary. But as a hockey fan, I gotta say, he's pretty damn good.
Overrated? How about Bertuzzi? Or any ex-Leaf, CuJo, Belfour, Nieuendyk... or any current Leaf, Kaberle, McCabe...

Nieuwendyk is not overrated. a point a game throughout his career (it did drop off gradually toward the end) and paid only $2.25 million
Guest4044 Posted - 12/26/2006 : 20:22:40
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

That's great, now if he truly is an elite goalie as his accolades might suggest, he will keep up the pace all throughout the season, not just when he wants to.

give up babalabuska. you're hanging on to an agument you are losing badly. it's kind of embarrasing for a moderator.
bablaboushka Posted - 12/26/2006 : 20:06:08
5 SHG to lead the NHL and he plays 3rd line minutes. Oh, and he's 18. He's not overrated, he's just damn good (just ask Lars Jonsson of Philly).

By the way, it's Staal not Stall.
Blubberboy Posted - 12/26/2006 : 17:47:53
STALL!!!
PITS SUK

Go Canucks
Mikhailova Posted - 12/23/2006 : 18:19:03
As for most overrated player, I'd say Forsberg. He's not up to par this year at all.

And for the record, Kiprusoff is not overrated.
Mikhailova Posted - 12/23/2006 : 18:17:14
quote:
Originally posted by Oggie Oglethorpe

Kovalev isn't worth the 4.5 Million $ per year he's getting in Mtl.

Yeah he is. Without him and Markov and Koivu, the Canadiens aren't much. (Well, the non-goalie players aren't. Aebischer and Huet are pretty good).
Guest4101 Posted - 12/15/2006 : 19:51:01
Kiprusoff is not overrated!

Goals allowed (or stats like save % and GAA) are a better measure of a goaltender's strength than just straight team wins. You can be the best goalie in the league and hold the best opponents to 1 or 2 goals each game, but if your own team can't score either, you're screwed on the wins. So look at his GAA and goals allowed since joining the Flames:

His GAA in 2003-04 before the playoff run: 1.69.
His GAA during the playoff run: 1.85.
He brought the team to within one game of a Stanley Cup.
His GAA last year: 2.07.
With that he wins a Vezina Trophy and the William Jennings Trophy.
His GAA this year: 2.08.

These are all incredible numbers. Any lack of wins Kiprusoff has had in recent slumps has not been from his weak playing, but from the Flames' lacking offense. Even this year with their shaky 15-11-3 record this year, the Flames have the least goals allowed in the NHL (68). Last year they finished again with the least goals allowed at 200. In 2003-2004, Calgary finished with 176 goals allowed, 3rd least to New Jersey's 164.

Are you going to tell me that Kiprusoff has not been consistently a strong goalie?

I think the most overrated player this year Peter Forsberg. For the $7 mil he's making, he's really not living up to his expectations. He's always been the type to miss a lot of games, and I suspect a lot of it is avoidable (like not having the right skates for his ankles). Even when he has been playing, his point production has been lousy (7-9 in 22 games). With his playmaking abilities and Gagne's natural scoring touch, the team could easily be winning more games, but instead the Flyers are putting out their worst performance in the last 10 years.

In contrast, new acquisition Martin Havlat has compensated for his prolonged injury leave with 18 points in 11 games, still leading the Blackhawks in goals despite missing 20 odd games. That's what Forsberg should be doing for his $7 mil.

I would have said Federov earlier in the year, but he is starting to perform at a $6 mil rate with a recent 3 point night. The whole team is coming out of a slump under new management, ironically the same management (Hitchcock) that was (probably wrongly) blamed for the Flyers' recent funk
spearbelly Posted - 12/14/2006 : 21:22:20
quote:
Originally posted by Novie

Let's not forget the NYI duo of Yashin and DiPietro.

If Alfredsson was playing better, I would mention him too.

Go Sens

You're saying Yashin @ 28 pts in 22 gms and DiPietro in the middle of the "STARTERS" pack with a 2.78 gaa and a 9.12 save % , are overrated ?? And that if Alfy was playing gooder he'd be overrated?????Huh!!!
bablaboushka Posted - 12/13/2006 : 17:03:08
To say Ryan Kesler is overrated is unfair. He doesn't deserve $1.9 million and he knows it but he's worth more than a first rounder to Nonis so that's what he had to pay to keep him. Kesler didn't ask for 1.9 and he sure knows that if not for that offer sheet, he'd be making a lot less. Of course he loves it cause he's rolling in the dough when he shouldn't be, but it puts pressure on him that he shouldn't have.
1 Crosby fan Posted - 12/13/2006 : 16:40:07
I'd say Ryan Kesler because he is gettin 1.9 million
Novie Posted - 12/13/2006 : 07:41:51
Let's not forget the NYI duo of Yashin and DiPietro.

If Alfredsson was playing better, I would mention him too.

Go Sens
Oggie Oglethorpe Posted - 12/13/2006 : 02:20:47
Kovalev isn't worth the 4.5 Million $ per year he's getting in Mtl.
1 Crosby fan Posted - 12/12/2006 : 21:26:40
quote:
Originally posted by spearbelly

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4785

NIC ANTROPOV AND ALEX PONIKAROFSKI!!!(@) the leafs are keeping them cuz they think their guud. ya right!!! and they also let them play with their best player- Mats Sundin.

... i also think alfredsson is overated and fans in ottawa are finally realizing it.

Antropov and Ponifscorelessky are somewhere betwixed useless and semi-effective however can hardly be rated therefore OVERRATED is a non issue. Their hulking size and occasional boardwork with some flashes of puck control (including opponents having difficulties stripping the biscuit from them) put them in a category of semi-usefullness .When you speak "Bang for yer buck" @ combined salaries of $1.75 mil ,as useless as they sometimes appear they can NOT be considered overrated. JEFF O'NEILL and even SOUP BOY @ $8 mil (like ALFREDSSON) fit the OVERRATED BILL moreso.

true
spearbelly Posted - 12/12/2006 : 21:22:30
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4785

NIC ANTROPOV AND ALEX PONIKAROFSKI!!!(@) the leafs are keeping them cuz they think their guud. ya right!!! and they also let them play with their best player- Mats Sundin.

... i also think alfredsson is overated and fans in ottawa are finally realizing it.

Antropov and Ponifscorelessky are somewhere betwixed useless and semi-effective however can hardly be rated therefore OVERRATED is a non issue. Their hulking size and occasional boardwork with some flashes of puck control (including opponents having difficulties stripping the biscuit from them) put them in a category of semi-usefullness .When you speak "Bang for yer buck" @ combined salaries of $1.75 mil ,as useless as they sometimes appear they can NOT be considered overrated. JEFF O'NEILL and even SOUP BOY @ $8 mil (like ALFREDSSON) fit the OVERRATED BILL moreso.
Guest4785 Posted - 12/12/2006 : 15:39:11

spearbelly Posted - 12/07/2006 : 21:30:20
[quote]Originally posted by ultimatetitman

I stand corrected on Kaberle and McCabe. They are having better seasons than I realize. I just remember how McCabe's own coach didn't have enough confidence in him to play him in any significant situation at the Olympics.

Recall please do , that he was an "Injury Add-On", not an original pick to do Brad Park stuff .
ultimatetitman Posted - 12/07/2006 : 13:57:05
I stand corrected on Kaberle and McCabe. They are having better seasons than I realize. I just remember how McCabe's own coach didn't have enough confidence in him to play him in any significant situation at the Olympics.
Perhaps I should say that they are only over rated compared to what the Toronto media makes them out to be.
Apologies to all Toronto fans. But I do need to remind you all that the plural of leaf is leaves.
spearbelly Posted - 12/06/2006 : 22:27:37
[I agree Leigh.Datsyuk will cease his slump funk.Cheechoo same.Kiprusoff WHATTT??????????????????OVERRATED?????????????Like............ sleeping with N. Furtado while on vacation in Florida just prior to winning a $3mil lottery and learning that the Reba sit com was cancelled .............is overrated!!! How bout the phoney Fedorov with 5 goals @ $6mil??? or the hoaxing Hamrlik 2 g 6 a in 24 gms @ $3.75mil??? and the runner runner-up the crude Kyle Calder with ZIP goals 3 amazing assists in 24 gms@$2.95 mil (If Kaberle or McCabe had 1/2 their current points I'd agree)
1 Crosby fan Posted - 12/06/2006 : 20:30:54
I'd say Ryan Kesler man $1.9 million dollors

Shawn Howard
Guest5512 Posted - 12/06/2006 : 16:46:37
Kaberle, McCabe and Nieuendyk are definately not overrated...Cujo had one season to talk about and that was pretty much it but i dont think people think to highly of him anyway. Saying Belfour is overrated is insane, he is afterall in 2nd with wins or shutouts behind Roy(can't remember wins or shutouts). As for overrated leafs I'd say Kubina and O'neil are tied for 1st.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page