Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Dobber
 Coyote Owners – Is the Suffering Finally Over?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 01/02/2007 : 09:25:08
By Darryl Dobbs

For the past month, I have made no secret of the fact that I felt that Phoenix would turn things around. Even before the puck dropped in October, it has been my belief that the Coyotes would be a second-half team. Now by no means does that indicate that a Stanley Cup is on its way to the desert.

Far from it.

This team is not going to make the playoffs. However, this is not the worst team in the NHL - Ladislav Nagy is not a mediocre first-line forward and Wayne Gretzky is not the worst coach in history.

In fact, Nagy is capable of 90-plus points if he remains healthy for a full season, and Gretzky was (I am embarrassed to say) my preseason pick to win coach of the year.

Here are some facts about the Desert Dogs:

-Shane Doan and Mike Comrie had their strongest quarter last year in the final 20 games, combining for 37 points.

-Nagy went on an 18-game tear in December of 2005 in which he tallied 27 points. Perhaps he is just a little late this year. There is no question that the ability is there.

-They are 3-0-1 in their last four games heading into Sunday, and have given up just five goals while scoring 16.

The team seems to have finally found a reliable backup in Mikael Tellqvist, who will relieve some of the tremendous pressure on Curtis Joseph’s shoulders. Both goalies will be well rested and this will keep more pucks out of their net. This will have a domino effect. On paper, the Coyotes’ defense corps is the best in the league from one through six. They have played like the worst. With stronger goaltending, the rearguards can play with more confidence which leads to more offense.

The theory is sound, and it is only backed up by four games – although that 8-0 shellacking over the Sharks on Saturday sure got my attention. In that game, Shane Doan tallied five points – the same amount that he had totaled in his 16 games prior. It would seem that Doan is healthy now, as he has eight points in those four games.

With top center Steven Reinprecht coming back, things may finally be falling back into place for Gretzky’s team. Looking to pick up an underachieving player from an owner in your pool that is sour on him? Take a Coyote. Given enough time, statistics will fall into the proper trend. Since the likes of Nagy, Doan, Comrie, Ed Jovanovski, et al. are far below that trend, logic dictates that an upswing is imminent.

Besides, any one of them could be traded, and that would only help their numbers…

Meanwhile…

Dan Boyle, a notorious slow starter, has 21 points in his last 18 games for Tampa Bay…

Another Coyote, Oleg Saprykin, has five points in his last three games and 11 in his last 14. He is running out of opportunities to display his vast potential. Perhaps he is finally coming around. He as the ability to put up 65 points one year, but the window on that is closing for the 25-year-old…

Vancouver defenseman Kevin Bieksa has 10 points in his last 10 games. Talk about a dark horse!

For more fantasy tips, visit www.dobberhockey.com. Pick up the only Midseason Hockey Pool Guide out there!

Have an opinion on Dobber's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin@pickuphockey.com

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page