Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Marian Hossa Dealt to Pittsburgh!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leigh Posted - 02/26/2008 : 12:11:12
The Atlanta Thrashers have traded sniper Marian Hossa and winger Pascal Dupuis to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for prospect Angelo Esposito, forwards Colby Armstrong and Erik Christensen and a first-round pick.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230637&hubname=
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4735 Posted - 02/26/2008 : 19:43:50
is fleury a RFA at the end of this year also? i think they have around 10milion in cap space, at least this year, maybe not next year, so they would need to sign fleury and hossa this season, and malkin and stall the next, while keeping a few others, this might be tough for them, see how it unfolds
Beans15 Posted - 02/26/2008 : 19:11:52
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
And finally, I wonder if anyone else agrees that Hossa/Crosby could become the Gretzky/Kurri or Lemieux/Jagr combo of this decade??? Hossa is only turning 30 next year. That could be a deadly combo in the league for a few years to come

Beans, hate to disagree with you again, but I am going to disagree with you again.

Regardless of what one thinks about this trade, it's hard to imagine Crosby-Hossa becoming a deadly combo similar to Gretzky-Kurri just based on the age of the wingers involved. When Kurri was having his great years with Gretzky he was in his 20s, starting at about 22, 23. In fact, by the time he was Hossa's age, Jari's best years were behind him. Similarly Jagr was way younger than Hossa when he was playing with Mario (first time around anyway).

My guess is that maybe this year and, if Hossa is re-signed and doesn't begin to drop off a bit with age, a year or two after that, they will be a "potentially lethal but not mafia-hit style deadly" combo. I am thinking more of a sort of version of Thornton and Cheechoo a couple of years ago - I realize the wingers are different types, but the point is that they could be a very good, maybe even great combo, but not legendary, and not for as long as Gretzky and Kurri.

Andy, I hear you totally, and I didn't intend to put Hossa/Crosby in the same class as Kurri/Gretzky or Jagr/Lemieux, even though that is what it appears.

What I am trying to say is that is seems like there is a killer duo in each decade that are talked about for years to come. A la Kurri/Gretzky and Jagr/Lemieux. Although Lecavalier/St. Louis is pretty deadly as well as Heatley/Spezza/Alfredsson, they haven't won a lot.

And I disagree that Hossa will slide. I think his next 3-4 of seasons will be his best. He's only 29.

And somehow I am not surprised that we disagree. One day, maybe we will see something the same way. Until then
andyhack Posted - 02/26/2008 : 18:40:29
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
And finally, I wonder if anyone else agrees that Hossa/Crosby could become the Gretzky/Kurri or Lemieux/Jagr combo of this decade??? Hossa is only turning 30 next year. That could be a deadly combo in the league for a few years to come

Beans, hate to disagree with you again, but I am going to disagree with you again.

Regardless of what one thinks about this trade, it's hard to imagine Crosby-Hossa becoming a deadly combo similar to Gretzky-Kurri just based on the age of the wingers involved. When Kurri was having his great years with Gretzky he was in his 20s, starting at about 22, 23. In fact, by the time he was Hossa's age, Jari's best years were behind him. Similarly Jagr was way younger than Hossa when he was playing with Mario (first time around anyway).

My guess is that maybe this year and, if Hossa is re-signed and doesn't begin to drop off a bit with age, a year or two after that, they will be a "potentially lethal but not mafia-hit style deadly" combo. I am thinking more of a sort of version of Thornton and Cheechoo a couple of years ago - I realize the wingers are different types, but the point is that they could be a very good, maybe even great combo, but not legendary, and not for as long as Gretzky and Kurri.
PENSFAN8771 Posted - 02/26/2008 : 18:38:24
When I first heard about the deal, I thought Ray Shero had gone nuts, but then I sat back and thought about it. There are several scenarios where I believe this would be a great deal for the Pens:
1. They win the cup next year.
2. They keep Malkin, Crosby, and Hossa next year by signing Hossa to a 1 year deal, staying under the cap and not having to give up Malkin, while deferring the decision on which to give up. And then win the cup next year.
3. Dupuis performs far above expectations, which, from what I've seen, I think is possible.

Also, Hossa will take up some cap room, but Army and Christiensen would both be asking for sizable ($1-2M+) soon also, so it may not be as bad as it may appear at first glance from a cap standpoint.

Still not thrilled overall, but excited for the next couple months of hockey . . .
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 02/26/2008 : 18:16:17
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger

That is a steep price to pay for a guy who might not sign in the off season! But agreed, Pittsburgh is pretty deadly now! Ottawa must be shakin in their skates!

Ya I thought it was pretty steep price to give up too. Esposito is a very young player and Cristensen and Armstrong can be second line players and then a 1st round pick. However if Hossa doesnt resign the Pens should have cap room to sign a different UFA.

Go Stars
Guest4735 Posted - 02/26/2008 : 18:12:07
ah man this is going to be exciting, i had posted not too long ago about lines when crosby would come back, and now it seems i have my anwser, since malkin's line has been doing so well, i see such power

top 2 lines
crosby, hossa, whoever they want
malone, malkin, sykora
oh wow and now with fleury coming back also, if he can get hot and conklin keeps it up, its going to be good hockey
Beans15 Posted - 02/26/2008 : 17:17:22
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Beans, do you not see it as a mistake that they are favouring a thirty year old Hossa to a young Malkin who is currently on top of the league in points while he was playing with next to no support? Where his Hossa in point production? He had Ilya, did he not???

I think PIttsbrugh is blowing all that a decade of losing tried to get them towards

Habs get number 25 this year

No I don't see it as a mistake, I see it as insurance. Reason being is that Malkin is an RFA after next season. He may be looking for huge money. So, if you can lock up Hossa for say $7 million/year over 5 years that's awesome. It's cheaper than what Malkin will be looking for.(I am guessing $9 million or more per year long term.) So, this opens the door for Pitts to try to sign both Hossa and Malkin, but if not, they you have Hossa on your team and Malkin to shop. A sign and trade for Malkin would be valuable and give the an opportunity to find other pieces of the puzzle they need to be good long term.

I think it's a brilliant move by Pitt and gives them options.

And as far as Hossa's point production?? He's a point a game guy who is hitting his prime. He had 100 points last year. And Ilya Kovalckuk is more of a create your own offense kind of guy. It's not like he's like Heatley who is in the right place and the right time and feeds assists to Spezza and Alfresson. And I also recall Hossa and Kovalchuk playing on different lines??? Maybe I am wrong on that.

I think that Hossa and Crosby are a great fit together and would feed off each other. Plus, Hossa is a natural winger while Malkin is a Centre like Crosby.
pensfan17 Posted - 02/26/2008 : 15:51:52
Kovalchuk and Hossa are both goal scorers.

Malkin + Crosby + Hossa = Ownage
Beans15 Posted - 02/26/2008 : 15:41:48
I think this move has short term and long term ramifications.

Short Term

Holy Firepower Batman! This team should have no problem filling up the net!! Interesting team going into the playoffs and could(or should I say will) make some noise.

Long Term

I can't see PItt giving up as much as they did if they were intending on Hossa being a rental player. That being said, I assume they will sign Hossa in the off season. What does that mean for Malkin?? I would bet that Pitt will not pull a Tampa Big Three scenario, so if they sign Hossa, they will look to unload Malkin as Hossa is a better fit with Crosby than Malkin with Hossa.

willus3 Posted - 02/26/2008 : 15:22:48
Are Pittsburgh looking at making a cup run?
They've shored up their defence from last year with Sydor and now Gill.
Added considerable firepower with Hossa.
Conklin is playing spectacular hockey.
Malkin is showing what he's capable of now.
Crosby should be back in time for the playoffs.
I think they've got a legitimate shot at it.

"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get 7 years of bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me 5."
-- Steven Wright
semin-rules Posted - 02/26/2008 : 14:10:30
Wow
loads of money
but def. worht it
huge pickup for the Pens
man they are going to be tough to beat now

~~~GO STARS~~~
Thrasher17 Posted - 02/26/2008 : 14:00:44
Wow! What an amazing trade! At least from Atlanta's view. Three good young players and a 1st round draft pick. Definately a good price for a guy they would have lost to free agency come July 1.

On the other side i think that Pits overpaid. Hossa is a good player but he doesnt have a good rep in the playoffs. Also he probably won't sign in pitsburgh because the pens have too many other players they need to sign that they wont have room for Hossa.

I'm also upset cause i wanted to see Hossa wearing a Habs jersey.
Tiger Posted - 02/26/2008 : 12:20:45
That is a steep price to pay for a guy who might not sign in the off season! But agreed, Pittsburgh is pretty deadly now! Ottawa must be shakin in their skates!
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/26/2008 : 12:16:55
wow! Pittsburgh just got absolutely lethal! still not sure if they will be able to become a Stanley Cup contestant because of their goaltending situation.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page