Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Fans who change their fav teams grind my gears

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Axey Posted - 03/05/2008 : 09:29:32
I personally cannot deal with fans who one minute love a team, then because some other team won the cup, they are now their favourite. Or b/c one player gets traded away, so they begin to like that team. If you are a fan for more than 3 years how can u possibly just SWITCH teams... I don't get it ... I could try to like another team but it just doesn't work. Anyone agree that these fans are ridiculous?
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hockster Posted - 07/04/2008 : 20:58:51
Guest 4450
There is no need to question someone because of there choices.
My favorite team is Detroit, Favorite player Iginla
I dont like a player cause of their team.
There are many different aspects of the palyer or team that makes them my favorite!
Guest4450 Posted - 03/08/2008 : 23:16:38
quote:
Originally posted by Datsyuk 1

Ya my favorite team is Canucks, then avs and then pittsburgh. I like the canucks because they have just always been my favorites. I like the Avs because of there players and the penguins because of there players. Who cares if people change there favorite team like there underwear.

Good defense is good offense!

Oh wow even more information comes out now...so your name is Datsyuk, you have an Avs player in your logo, you think the Sharks will win the Cup but the Canucks are your favourite team, wow...
Guest4450 Posted - 03/08/2008 : 23:14:19
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

Oh Oh, hit a sore spot. There is no law that says you have to like a certain team because you live there but most people do root for their own teams. Example, your own high school teams, your own cities junior or AHL team etc. I call my foreign team loving friends darksiders and other derogatory names but it is merely in jest (I think). Two of my closest friends are a Sabre and a Wing fan. We have a great old time ripping each other. I can't understand their traitorous ways either but to each their own. Being a Leaf fan means being completely inundated with radio, newspapers and TV shows and Leaf talk all day and half the night long if I so choose. Why would I want to be a fan of some far away dream team? We even have our own television station and wear the symbol of our nation on our shirts. You see, I am a real Leaf fan, loving it and living in Leafland. I do not think it can get any better than this except for the fact we need a Cup. Please don't group me in with those half assed Leaf fans that boo their own players and constantly rip their own so called team. I am behind them through thick and thin, win, lose or draw. I don't like any other teams and hate them all to various degrees. Buffalo and Vancouver are the two teams I hate the least and Ottawa, Philly and the dreaded Habs the ones I hate the most. There you have it Thornton. I apologize if you misunderstood my previous post but that is the way I see it. I may be loyal to a fault but you will never convince me of that.

Traitorous ways??? Wow I am glad I am not your friend. Just because my parents and the parents of any person born in Toronto chose to
"hatch" us in Toronto that does not mean we are obligated to cheer for the Leafs, there is no law that says that. There is a thing called freedom of choice in this society!
MarkhamMax Posted - 03/08/2008 : 23:12:18
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

You see, I am a real Leaf fan, loving it and living in Leafland. I do not think it can get any better than this except for the fact we need a Cup. Please don't group me in with those half assed Leaf fans that boo their own players and constantly rip their own so called team. I am behind them through thick and thin, win, lose or draw.

I know it seems like I'm going after you tonight Antro (just answered another thread of yours), but I have to raise the B.S. flag just a little here, because your other thread has you directing the Leafs to tank all of their games. That's not exactly being behind the Leafs through thick and thin.

And it's afflicted, not affliked lol.

Please know I am ripping you (and correcting your grammar) in jest. I am a Leafs fan. I know you are too. I'm with ya buddy. And you inspired my new profile sig...

"Take two pucks to the head and call me in the morning".
Guest4607 Posted - 03/08/2008 : 17:26:04
Well I have been a leafs fan since i knew what hockey was, i grew up learning to read by reading the sports section scores and finding my favourite team the leafs. I am still a leafs fan and i know that the leafs suck but does that stop me from cheering for them. HELL NO. recently i have become a fan of the pittsburgh penguins but they are not my team and i really only like them because of crosby,malkin, and Fleury(who is my favourite goalie) so does that mean i am a bandwagon jumper? well thats up to you to decide.

Oh and by the way,

GO LEAFS WE WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS
Komisaurus Posted - 03/06/2008 : 08:20:27
My Favorite Team is The Habs by Far since i was a little kid and cheer em no matter what, i get frustrated at them but will never ever leave them, i am married to them and love em to death...But i also have secondary teams and that includes Ottawa but not like crazy, only because I like spezza, hes one of my favorite players and the other Tema I really Respect and EReally like is ...Minnesota, they have very good fans and a very good team, apparantley minnesota has sold out there pre season and regular games for the past 2-3 years i cant remeber, but they are good team and for a team in the states, that is amazing to have great attendance records...
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 03/06/2008 : 05:20:59
Lol Antoman, yes you did hit a sore spot. I guess i do not respond well to people calling me a traitor,turncoat, wishy-washy, undependable. I apologize for my reaction as i realize that your post was made in jest. I also commend you on being a Leaf fan as i am sure it must be very frustrating sometimes! And come 2010, i will be cheering on our Canadian hockey players as much as any other patriotic Canadian.
lol, oh, and my girlfriend of 2 years will tell you that i am a very loyal person! and she's a HUGE Leaf fan! she's still trying to convince me.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 03/05/2008 : 19:19:48
Ya the only reason Dallas is my favorite team is because in 1999, i was playing nhl 1999 with my friend [when i was still fairly young] and he said they were the best team so i've liked them ever since and will never change. Top 3 fav teams

1.Dallas ( Never will change )
2.Montreal
3.New Jersey

Go Stars
Datsyuk 1 Posted - 03/05/2008 : 15:47:31
Ya my favorite team is Canucks, then avs and then pittsburgh. I like the canucks because they have just always been my favorites. I like the Avs because of there players and the penguins because of there players. Who cares if people change there favorite team like there underwear.

Good defense is good offense!
Antroman Posted - 03/05/2008 : 15:36:32
I just re-read everybody's posts here and I don't want to mis-lead anybody. I love hockey period and have favs on other teams. Plekanec, Erat, Alfie and Campbell are just four of my favourite players and would absolutely love any of those guys on the Leaf team.
Antroman Posted - 03/05/2008 : 15:22:20
Oh Oh, hit a sore spot. There is no law that says you have to like a certain team because you live there but most people do root for their own teams. Example, your own high school teams, your own cities junior or AHL team etc. I call my foreign team loving friends darksiders and other derogatory names but it is merely in jest (I think). Two of my closest friends are a Sabre and a Wing fan. We have a great old time ripping each other. I can't understand their traitorous ways either but to each their own. Being a Leaf fan means being completely inundated with radio, newspapers and TV shows and Leaf talk all day and half the night long if I so choose. Why would I want to be a fan of some far away dream team? We even have our own television station and wear the symbol of our nation on our shirts. You see, I am a real Leaf fan, loving it and living in Leafland. I do not think it can get any better than this except for the fact we need a Cup. Please don't group me in with those half assed Leaf fans that boo their own players and constantly rip their own so called team. I am behind them through thick and thin, win, lose or draw. I don't like any other teams and hate them all to various degrees. Buffalo and Vancouver are the two teams I hate the least and Ottawa, Philly and the dreaded Habs the ones I hate the most. There you have it Thornton. I apologize if you misunderstood my previous post but that is the way I see it. I may be loyal to a fault but you will never convince me of that.
Alex Posted - 03/05/2008 : 13:55:56
Argument's sake. I mean that we all want to see the stars play, to see lots of good teams, to see a fun game, not a lopsided 10-0 score every night and fifty Stanley Cups in a row by our favourite team. After a while the hockey gets boring to watch.

Then again, isn't that what the late 70 Habs are notorious for?

All aboard the Price bandwagon
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 03/05/2008 : 13:47:20
wow alex! maybe i'm just stupid but i do not see what you are trying to say in the your last post! car accidents!!!?????

Brett Hull.
Alex Posted - 03/05/2008 : 13:17:43
Most everyone on this site is a fan of the game. For example, if there are any Anaheim FANS, and I mean fans, on this site, I doubt you would enjoy seeing Nabokov Thornton and Campbell injured in a car crash that would end their season due to broken limbs. No one would.

Luckliy I am a Montreal fan, and they are the best, so no one needs to be injured anyhow

ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 03/05/2008 : 12:56:07
I agree with your interpretation. And i do not think I am a bandwagon jumper!!!! I have really like the Sabres since the lock out! i would say they are my team! WIth the Sharks being a close second (albeit completely because of Joe Thornton). I will cheer for those teams whether they are doing good or bad! But the fact that i want certain teams to do well because i really like that players or a player on the team does not mean i am constantly jumping on the bandwagon! It simply means that i like this player, so i want his team to do well!

Brett Hull.
Alex Posted - 03/05/2008 : 12:49:32
I personally think there is a distinction between being a team fan and being a hockey fan. Now, we all know I am a Montreal faithful, no question there. But say they get knocked out, am I going to stop watching playoff hockey? Am I not going to care who wins?

And being a fan of a player I have no problem with either.

FOR EXAMPLE

Am I a fan of Calgary or Edmonton or Ottawa? No no a thousand times no. Did I went them to win the cup in their respective runs once my team was eliminated? Of course I did!

Am I a fan of Washington? No! Do I enjoy watching highlight reel goals by two amazing young charismatic and exciting superstars, Ovechkin and Semin? Yea!

Now, guys in my school jump bandwagons like there is no tomorrow. The Patriots fans this year, it was crazy. Once they lose -- whoa! In hockey, everyone jumped the Ottawa bandwagon about two / three years ago, right now I think it's Detroit... In an attempt to cover up their bandwagon-ness if you will, they stick with the best teams for about a season and change, as opposed to a playoff run. But the true colours are obvious.

I am trying to show the difference between a team fan and a hockey fan, which I am both. Thoughts?

ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 03/05/2008 : 11:25:54
thank you for that Leigh. :) and i have chosen my team. The Buffalo Sabres. I have been a fan since the lockout. But i am sick of the people that tell me that i need to cheer for the Leafs if i want to be "Patriotic" because they are the closest team to me. The Leafs suck. ANd i can be completely patriotic without cheering for a lousy team. Like i said, i like the game and i like the game played the right way. The Leafs do not do that. WHy would i cheer for them? And calling me a traitor for stopping to like the team when i was 10?? Give me a break!

And pasty, we are very much the same in this aspect! ALthough i consider Buffalo my team, i like the Avs cuz of Sakic, i love the SHarks cuz of Thornton, I like the Caps cuz of Ovechkin, I like the Panthers cuz of Boewmeester.

Brett Hull.
Pasty7 Posted - 03/05/2008 : 11:18:59
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

I personally cannot deal with fans who one minute love a team, then because some other team won the cup, they are now their favourite. Or b/c one player gets traded away, so they begin to like that team. If you are a fan for more than 3 years how can u possibly just SWITCH teams... I don't get it ... I could try to like another team but it just doesn't work. Anyone agree that these fans are ridiculous?

well i'm like thorton a fan of players and hockey not teams i'd be a leafs fan if the habs and leafs rosters were inversed even if the standings were not,,, i love cristobal huet he went to the caps so i begining to watch captials games and enjoying them and their team,,, often its the trade of a player that makes you watch a team you do not see play often and then you begin to enjoy tis new team,,,,, personally i don;t care if it bugs someone or not i'll like who i like let the rest worry bout their loyalties

Pasty
leigh Posted - 03/05/2008 : 11:11:30
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

.....Let me put it this way, If you had a girlfriend, and she was cheating on you and you knew it. She kept saying that she would change, she loves you, she loves your loyalty and she will change! Things will get better! But then she keeps cheating on you! Well, wake up!!!! The leafs have been cheating on you for FORTY YEARS!!!!! There is a thing as too much loyalty!....

Nice analogy, absolutely priceless! LOL!

I've been a Flames fan since 1986 or 87 I think. I had just jumped off the Oiler bandwagon, and the Maple Leafs before that (my dad was a fan of TO so sadly they were my team for my first 10 years of life) Anyway in 89 the Flames won the cup which made it pretty damn easy to be a fan. For a few years after that they were a yoyo club but then in 1997 they missed the playoffs entirely and wouldn't return until 2004 (when they went to the finals and won...they did in game 6...it was a goal!!! - Ok Tampa Bay won but that's irrelevant). Prior to that run, those were some seriously low times as a Flames fan (and I never even lived in Calgary!), but I'm happy to say I remained and things look good again (fingers crossed!)

Anyway, my point is that as young guys you can switch up a bit and find a team that you like. Don't listen to some of us old guys who give you a hard time, find your team....but then stick with them through thick and thin. Then one day when they do something spectacular you can say that you are a true fan of the club!

For the record, as a fan of the game I have cheered for other teams, but they've never been "my" team. As long as they weren't playing my team I cheered, otherwise what's the point of watching?
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 03/05/2008 : 10:49:55
Ok, i should explain myself. I was not a fan of the Boston Bruins. The only reason i liked the team was because of Joe Thornton. And because Joe Thornton was on the team, i wanted them to do well. Were they my favourite team? No. But I wanted them to do well because my favourite player was on them. Now, why on earth would i continue to want them to do well, or care how well they do, when the only reason i wanted them to do well it the first place just got traded??? Obviously i will stop caring about them. Now Joe Thornton is on the Sharks. I want him to do well because he is my favourite player. So obviously i would want the team that he plays for to do well too! Is that so hard to understand? I am not necessarily a fan of the Sharks. I definitly was not a fan of the Bruins. But because my favourite player was on them, i wanted them to do well!

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9710

ahh even if ur favorite player gets traded.. true hockey fans remain... jagr was my favorite player.. but when he left the penguins... my club is stil the penguins!.. same for football.. PLaxico Burress is my favorite player.. left the steelers.. im still a steelers fan.. even thouhg i was happy to see the giants win if the steelers didnt.. True fans may change teams at an early age.. but they dont change teams seasonally..

Crosby,Malkin,Hossa=Dirty line up

Brett Hull.
Guest9710 Posted - 03/05/2008 : 10:43:08
ahh even if ur favorite player gets traded.. true hockey fans remain... jagr was my favorite player.. but when he left the penguins... my club is stil the penguins!.. same for football.. PLaxico Burress is my favorite player.. left the steelers.. im still a steelers fan.. even thouhg i was happy to see the giants win if the steelers didnt.. True fans may change teams at an early age.. but they dont change teams seasonally..

Crosby,Malkin,Hossa=Dirty line up
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 03/05/2008 : 10:22:31
Hey ANtroman! I was a 10 year old kid and every stinking year my Leafs disappointed me! Are you saying that I can't start liking another team, just because of where i live? You are telling me that because I live in Ontario and do not like the Leafs, I am a traitor????? You are saying that I only like winning teams??? Last i checked, Buffalo had lost 11 of 13 or something this season. They were as low as the Leafs were. I was still cheering for them! As for my switch from the Bruins to the Sharks, MY FAVOURITE PLAYER EVER JUST GOT TRADED! of course i'm gonna like the team that he goes to!!!!
It is fans like you that make people hate the Leafs! Let me put it this way, If you had a girlfriend, and she was cheating on you and you knew it. She kept saying that she would change, she loves you, she loves your loyalty and she will change! Things will get better! But then she keeps cheating on you! Well, wake up!!!! The leafs have been cheating on you for FORTY YEARS!!!!! There is a thing as too much loyalty!
My final point, I am a fan of the game! I love the game of hockey and therefore, I love teams that play the game the right way. The Leafs do not play the game the right way! They have been a disgrade to hockey. WHy should i cheer for them? Because I am Canadian? Well, if this is how the Canadian's play hockey, then i am NOT proud to be a Canadian.

Brett Hull.
Antroman Posted - 03/05/2008 : 10:03:33
Hey Thornton, You are afflicked with a serious case of " I want to be on the side that's winning". I hate to break your bubble but this infliction is not a virtue. There are a few terms used to describe your disease such as, turncoat, wishy-washy, traitor, undependable and even traitor. You are free to do this in our society of course but it is a very unflattering trait. Supporting your team and standing behind them through thick and thin shows a strong character and a willingness to stand by your convictions and choices regardless of their successes or failures. Patriotism and pariality toward your convictions is something most people admire in another person.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 03/05/2008 : 10:03:21
I was born in Edmonton in 1972, and lived there for the first 30 years of my life. For whatever reason, I hated the Oilers during the glory years (loved the Habs), and did not support them until just after the Gretzky trade/sale. I had a great amount of respect for Gretz's talent, just didn't care much for the media saturation, so I actually missed out on the biggest bandwagon of the past 25 years, and continue to support the Oil. I did, however, detest the born-again Oiler fans during their recent playoff run, so I definitely see where you're coming from.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2009.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 03/05/2008 : 09:41:58
I have to disagree. I used to like the Leafs but they disappointed me so much as a kid, that i began to hate them. ANd until I see some decent management in that organization, i will not like them again. But i have become a huge Sabres fan because i love their style of play. now, if they would change their style of play, i would probably begin to like them less. Also, i was a big Bruins fan while they had Thornton. Then, when Thornton got traded, i became a huge Sharks fan! Of course i will change the team that i cheer for when my favourite player gets moved! Now, what i don't like is when a fan cheers for a team when they are doing good and doesn't cheer for them when they are doing bad. This is called being on the bandwagon and i'm not a fan of that at all. However, i can completely understand why someone would change their team because their favourite player just got traded!

Brett Hull.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page