Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 beachemin signs with leafs

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pasty7 Posted - 07/06/2009 : 13:39:16
29 year old Francois Beachemin signs with the Toronto maple leafs, its a 3 year 10 million $ deal

Pasty
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PhillyFan12 Posted - 07/07/2009 : 09:27:12
I think Toronto has one of the strongest dcore.Beachemin is a fighter strong,and hard slapshot.Good choice for Toronto to pick such a good man.
n/a Posted - 07/07/2009 : 08:41:36
If Kaberle isn't traded, and if a couple of our spare defencemen are traded (likely, at this point) I have to think the pairings will go something more like this:

Kaberle + Komisarek
Beauchemin + Schenn
White + Exelby
Stralman and Finger and others as extras
(Van Ryn and Frogren dealt)

Kaberle needs a tough d-man who can skate, and I think Komisarek would be a perfect compliment. Schenn needs the tutelage of a solid d-man while playing his second full year, and Beauchemin has all the experience and skill to do that. In another scenario, it could be Schenn with Kaberle and Beauchemin with Komisarek as the premium checking line, but it really depends how they fit together and what Wilson thinks. The third line is as solid a defensive pairing for your fifth and 6th defencemen as you're gonna get . . . really no worries there if Exelby plays to his full potential and White continues to mature as a steady guy who can chip in some points.

I don't see White getting traded, we have our size on defence now and he is a good young kid who I hope to get better, there is decent potential here. Finger, Van Ryn, I see as the most likely to go, I can almost guarantee at least one will be gone before the start of the season - I am guessing Van Ryn because Finger isn't cheap. And, I see a guy like Stralman as being a good piece to package in a deal to a team that needs prospects on D, I don't see him in the Leafs' plans for the future.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest9838 Posted - 07/07/2009 : 07:16:23
One way or another a couple players will most likely get traded. I could see that being White, Kaberle, Van Ryn or if someone is willing to take Finger's contract, him.

Beauchemin will be on the top pairing with either Kaberle (if he's around) or Komisarek (if Kaberle's not). Komisarek and Schenn will both get 20 minutes and play the PK. Exelby and Van Ryn will pick up most of the rest of the time, Van Ryn on the PP.

With Kaberle.

Beauchemin Kaberle
Komisarek Schenn
Exelby VanRyn
Finger/White/Frogren/Stralman/Orekovic/Vorobiev/Sifers to try and squeeze in. (I do feel for White and Frogren and a few of the prospects)

Without Kaberle

Beauchemin Komisarek
Schenn VanRyn
Exelby White/Finger
The rest...

It's a decent defensive group, not adding a ton of points but will definately keep more pucks out of the net.

To compare with some of the best D's out there:
Bos: Chara, Wideman, Stuart, Ward, Hunwick, Ference
Cgy: Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Regehr, Sarich, Giordano, Pardy
Chi: Campbell, Keith, Seabrook, Barker, Sopel, prospects
Det: Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall, Lilja, Ericsson, Lebda
Nsh: Weber, Suter, Hamhuis, gets thin here
Phi: Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, Carle, Jones, Parent
Sjs: Boyle, Blake, Ehrhoff, Vlasic, Huskins, Murray, Lukowich
Edm: Visnovsky, Souray, Gilbert, Grebshkov, Staios, Strudwick

I'd say the leafs are moving into top half d in the league, maybe even top 10, but the difference is that all these teams above (with the exception of Nashville) are stacked up front. The leafs have a ways to go to be a contender, but they're moving in the right direction. They also just signed the Gustavsson, which hopefully will pan out, either way the risk is small ($810K).

Rambo2305 Posted - 07/07/2009 : 05:13:02
Either way, with or without Kaberle, the Leafs' Defence is as strong as they come...

With Kabby:
1) Komisarek | Kaberle
2) Van Ryn | Schenn
3) Beauchemin | White

Without Kabby:
1) Komisarek | Van Ryn
2) Beauchemin | White
3) Exelby | Schenn

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
n/a Posted - 07/07/2009 : 04:56:55
This is a huge deal for the Leafs, vaulting their defence from the "getting a lot better" stage into "very competetive" stage. Awesome.

It's really funny to see how short everyone's patience is, as if Burke is required to make 20 deals all on the same day, July 1st, to satisfy Leafs fans, or any casual fan commenting on their team. Totally frickin' ridiculous.

I can't say enough how pleased I am that Burke signed Beauchemin, it's a real coup - he is a legitimate 2nd defenceman, and it now gives the coach lots of options for great pairings in terms of bringing along the young potential star Schenn as well as any others.

Does it free up Kaberle to be traded away for some of what Leafs fans are now screaming for, some scoring? Maybe . . . but I only see him leaving for a great young rising star with lots of upside. Because, in the end, for my 'perfect' defence, you need an excellent puck-mover with A+ passing skills and a bit of a scoring touch - at least one. Like Burke said, you deal Kaberle, and you might end up looking for a similar player all year . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 07/06/2009 : 22:29:50
Agree, Kaberle could very well be on the way out. Not so sure he'll be traded to Vancouver though? They def could use him, but i don't think Burke has ANY good feelings towards Vancouver so unless he can completely fleece them in a deal, he prob won't work a trade with them! He's still bitter about his departure from Van....
hockster Posted - 07/06/2009 : 21:58:45
They got pretty good Defense now, but nowhere in the top teams in the league.

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.
Guest4803 Posted - 07/06/2009 : 19:35:29
beauchemin obviously is replacing Kaberle who is more then likely either headed to boston or vancouver in some sort of a deal.
Guest0987 Posted - 07/06/2009 : 17:24:03
yes a decent signing for the Leafs, but the leafs once again have way too many d-men, who's getting the boot?

Now you have
Kaberle Beauchemin
Komisarek Van Ryn
Schenn Exelby
Finger White
Frogren Stralman
Oreskovic Harrison (if they resign him)
plus other prospects like Sifers who's chances of staying in the NHL just died.

You have to assume Burke will want his signings to play so a guy who really had to prove himself all year like White(Masterson Nominee) gets another kick in the nuts. Frogren who used his bonus to pay off his team in Sweden to come to the leafs also gets screwed. And young guys Stralman and Oreskovic are once again so far down the depth chart they probably wish they were traded. And Schenn will lose time to incoming minute munchers Komisarek and Beauchemin. I'm also assuming that the Leafs are hoping Van Ryn steps up to fill in the goal deficit left by Kubina, so he'll be eating that PP time up.

I'm just wondering if there is too much focus on Defense. The leafs still have very little up front, I'm thinking 2-3 20+ goal scorers if they're lucky (out of Blake, Grabovski, Pony, Hagman).

Am I wrong here to think Burke should be thinking about offense? I'm personally not that impressed with his work so far.
brentrock2 Posted - 07/06/2009 : 16:25:57
It`s a pretty good sign up for toronto.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page